New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

10-11-2007, 07:43 PM   #45
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

^^Yeah, these AWD drive machines arent very light either. Lets not forget the drivetrain loses they suffer from. I cant wait to shed 150pounds off my 135i. 3100lb with 330hp(the real power rating) is nothing to mess around with.
      10-11-2007, 08:18 PM   #46
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep

Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
I cant wait to shed 150pounds off my 135i. 3100lb with 330hp(the real power rating) is nothing to mess around with.
Why would bother going through the effort of ruining your car for something that probably wont make that much of a difference anyway? I also severely doubt you would be able to remove that much weight without making some real compromises to the car's driveability.
      10-11-2007, 08:37 PM   #47
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post
Why would bother going through the effort of ruining your car for something that probably wont make that much of a difference anyway? I also severely doubt you would be able to remove that much weight without making some real compromises to the car's driveability.
I dont think you know what your talking about. How is shedding 150lbs of weight going to ruin the driveablity??? Sorry man but that makes no sense. I have enough experience in the ''scene'' to know what I'm doing. Have u ever heard of the Lamborghini Superalegga? Its basically a Gallardo with 10more hp and a 154lb weight reduction. You dont even want to know the premium they charge for that?
      10-11-2007, 08:46 PM   #48
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep

Quote:
I dont think you know what your talking about. How is shedding 150lbs of weight going to ruin the driveablity??? Sorry man but that makes no sense. I have enough experience in the ''scene'' to know what I'm doing. Have u ever heard of the Lamborghini Superalegga? Its basically a Gallardo with 10more hp and a 154lb weight reduction. You dont even want to know the premium they charge for that?
It is going to ruin the driveability because the only way you are going to achieve that without resorting to expensive materials is to take away rear seats, sound deadening materials, lighter, louder exhausts (and headers, etc.). I find it funny that you bring up the Superleggera as an example of this when they used massive amounts of carbon fibre, and other expensive materials. Are you seriously saying that you would spend tens of thousands to save 150 pounds?

Do yourself a favor, if you want a light car, buy light car. Buying a heavy car and trying to make it light will only cost ridiculous amounts of money.
      10-11-2007, 08:53 PM   #49
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
It is going to ruin the driveability because the only way you are going to achieve that without resorting to expensive materials is to take away rear seats, sound deadening materials, lighter, louder exhausts (and headers, etc.). I find it funny that you bring up the Superleggera as an example of this when they used massive amounts of carbon fibre, and other expensive materials. Are you seriously saying that you would spend tens of thousands to save 150 pounds?

Do yourself a favor, if you want a light car, buy light car. Buying a heavy car and trying to make it light will only cost ridiculous amounts of money.
If you want to know how I'm going to save the weight just ask. You dont have to tell what to NOT buy. Here is what I plan on doing. Are you aware of how much weight can be saved by getting rid of the run flat tires and switching to light weight rims? I already have 128i buyers on here that are inquiring about my stock 135i rims. Are you also aware that their is an aftermarket battery out there that E90 owners have been using to shed 40lbs off there cars? Probably not. So please dont assume that I am going to spend "tens of thousands" of dollars. And those you listed arent the ONLY way.
      10-11-2007, 09:18 PM   #50
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep

Quote:
If you want to know how I'm going to save the weight just ask. You dont have to tell what to NOT buy. Here is what I plan on doing. Are you aware of how much weight can be saved by getting rid of the run flat tires and switching to light weight rims? I already have 128i buyers on here that are inquiring about my stock 135i rims. Are you also aware that their is an aftermarket battery out there that E90 owners have been using to shed 40lbs off there cars? Probably not. So please dont assume that I am going to spend "tens of thousands" of dollars. And those you listed arent the ONLY way.
Note that my original statement was that I "severely doubt you would be able to remove that much weight without making some real compromises to the car's driveability." I am sure that is possible but at the cost of value. Sure, you just listed ways to save a maximum of 70 pounds (we wont know until we get the stock wheels and battery on a weight and, obviously, it depends upon which parts you replace them with). I doubt you could get 80 more pounds elsewhere without performing some 'extreme' (clearly a matter of perspective) measures, especially considering the diminishing returns that will set in. Even then, consider that cost of fitting proper lightweight wheels with high-performance tires is probably going to be in the realm of 1,200 dollars (that is a good guestimate at a minimum cost, clearly you could spend much more than that). With that price, you could easily get much more performance by modifying the ECU, exhaust, or what have you.

Again, to get 150 pounds off of the car, you are going to have to do a lot more than modify the batter and wheels, which, even then, are pricey parts that make it least cost-effective option out there, at least in my opinion.
      10-11-2007, 09:19 PM   #51
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Note that my original statement was that I "severely doubt you would be able to remove that much weight without making some real compromises to the car's driveability." Sure, you just listed ways to save a maximum of 70 pounds (we wont know until we get the stock wheels and battery on a weight and, obviously, it depends upon which parts you replace them with). I doubt you could get 80 more pounds elsewhere without performing some 'extreme' (clearly a matter of perspective) measures. Even then, consider that cost of fitting proper lightweight wheels with high-performance tires is probably going to be in the realm of 1,200 dollars (that is a good guestimate at a minimum cost, clearly you could spend much more than that). With that price, you could easily get much more performance by modifying the ECU, exhaust, or what have you.

Again, to get 150 pounds off of the car, you are going to have to do a lot more than modify the batter and wheels, which, even then, are pricey parts that make it least cost-effective option out there, at least in my opinion.
Trust me, I've been researching this for quite some time now. Plus, I personally would feel more comfortable shedding weight than tampering with the cars computer and engine(even though i will).
      10-11-2007, 09:24 PM   #52
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep

Quote:
Trust me, I've been researching this for quite some time now. Plus, I personally would feel more comfortable shedding weight than tampering with the cars computer and engine(even though i will).
I will be shocked if you are able to shed 150 pounds without extreme measures or spending disproportionate amounts of money. Like I said, if you want a light car, buy a light car. Making a heavy car light is the most costly thing you can spend your money on.

You can obviously do whatever you want; its not my car. Just dont tell me I didnt tell you so...
      10-11-2007, 09:27 PM   #53
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
I will be shocked if you are able to shed 150 pounds without extreme measures or spending disproportionate amounts of money. Like I said, if you want a light car, buy a light car. Making a heavy car light is the most costly thing you can spend your money on.

You can obviously do whatever you want; its not my car. Just dont tell me I didnt tell you so...
Damn your stubborn! Just like me. You and I can go back and forth all night man. Well prepared to be shocked. You are the first person I will report to. I will title a thread with your name in it so look out.You dont want to bet against the guy with a few BMW certified mechanics/gearheads on speed dial.:biggrin:
      10-11-2007, 09:30 PM   #54
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep

Good luck... but I'll have a 20 taped to my fridge that says you cant do it for a reasonable amount of money.
      10-11-2007, 11:00 PM   #55
Deutsch
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives:

I'd buy it if it had a 6spd semi auto tranny. Great looking car, especially next to the previous model which looked straight out an arcade game. Awesome work Subaru!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2007, 12:08 AM   #56
ichiban
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 08 135i

The only problem i have with shedding weight is ruining the perfect 50/50 weight ratio. And as for other methods of weight removal. Getting a CF roof skin, or a simple moon roof delete would shave off another 50 lbs or so. A titanium exhaust would shave off 20-25 lbs. And when the time comes, light weight flywheels will shave off 5-10 lbs. Cf drive shaft will shave off more. And all these not only reduce the weight of the car overall, but also gives advantages in other areas. Cf roof = lower center of gravity, light weight fly wheel + CF drive shaft = less rotating mass = less power drain and the obvious advantage of having a titanium exhaust, the flamed canister/tip look
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2007, 02:10 AM   #57
Stay a while and listen...
Rep

Drives: vr4

Quote:
Good luck... but I'll have a 20 taped to my fridge that says you cant do it for a reasonable amount of money.
You might want to add some more guidelines than money!:biggrin:

I could shed 150lbs w/ $0
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2007, 02:22 AM   #58
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiban View Post
The only problem i have with shedding weight is ruining the perfect 50/50 weight ratio.
150lbs would hardly make a dent in the bias..

IMO 50/50 is overrated.

In a performance oriented setup less weight is greater period.
As we all know, weight effects every aspect of the car from acceleration, braking, cornering, top speed, etc. It really doesn't even matter if you raise the center of gravity. A proper setup can easily account for an unideal weight bias and make it a strength.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2007, 04:15 AM   #59
ichiban
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 08 135i

sure, when you only track the car, the lighter the better. But when the car's your DD. You'd have to be more careful. Say you have high center of gravity, if u want to counter that, u'd have to get stiffer springs/sway bars to counter the body roll.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2007, 06:53 AM   #60
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives:

Quote:
150 pounds is nothing.

If you want to see an extreme example of weight loss, check this out... A guy who has taken his 3350 lb. STI down to under 2700 lbs:
http://************/2ctfj4

Now, some of his stuff is a little out there. But it shows what is possible with judicious lightening. I agree: if you want a light car, buy one. But 150lbs would be damn easy.

As to STI vs 135: the STI (and Evo) game is ridiculous traction. They can put down every one of their ~300 hp due to excellent suspensions and sophisticated AWD hardware with LSD's. That will be the trump card over the 135i. Right now, we already know the 135i will have problems with traction (witness 335i, and no LSD for 135), so it will be closer than you think.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2007, 07:01 AM   #61
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Drives: VO 1M

Man you people have to stop arguing on this form. The car hasn’t even been released yet and there are more pissing matches then some of the Audi forums. Comparing three yet to be released cars (STI, 135i, and Evo.) Good times.....
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2007, 07:31 AM   #62
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Man you people have to stop arguing on this form. The car hasn’t even been released yet and there are more pissing matches then some of the Audi forums. Comparing three yet to be released cars (STI, 135i, and Evo.) Good times.....
Says the man who posts:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto
Some specs for the 08 STI. Notice the weight and power numbers. 135i FTW!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2007, 08:23 AM   #63
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

I figured posting specs of the new STI was relevant to this thread. My point of arguing was more for the back and forth about weight reduction. But thanks for enforcing the point!

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2007, 10:50 AM   #64
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati View Post
Now, some of his stuff is a little out there. But it shows what is possible with judicious lightening. I agree: if you want a light car, buy one. But 150lbs would be damn easy.
I should add an addendum to my statement: "and without turning it into nothing buy a metal box." Clearly, the obvious solution is to remove every seat but the driver's, remove all the sound deadening material, remove the AC, etc. That probably wont cost you much but all you will have then is something closer to a race car than a real road car. This is what I meant when I originally posted "ruining driveablility".
      10-12-2007, 11:50 AM   #65
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati View Post
As to STI vs 135: the STI (and Evo) game is ridiculous traction. They can put down every one of their ~300 hp due to excellent suspensions and sophisticated AWD hardware with LSD's. That will be the trump card over the 135i. Right now, we already know the 135i will have problems with traction (witness 335i, and no LSD for 135), so it will be closer than you think.
Great point that hasn't been mentioned yet..:w00t:

IMO the 135i should start pulling on the STI around 85mph due to DTL.

What do stock STI's normally dyno? 250's? 260's?
It seems an average 335i dynos >270's

(aHH i benchraced again!)
This site's going to be the death of me!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2007, 11:58 AM   #66
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Is the current STI around 21% DTL? I thought I read that over on NASIOC. That should put the stock WHP at ~235.
Appreciate 0