New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

05-18-2016, 08:02 AM   #67
Motorsportenterprise
Banned
Rep

Drives: Turbo/NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
Exactly same thing they did with the new 911 Carrera S. They said in press release it would do 7:34 around the ring. Well, SportAuto just backed that time up in an independent test. Guess we will have to be patient to find out the Turbo S is on another level, 20 sec faster around the ring. Turbo S is supercar quick. I can fanboy over the Z28 too, but I live in reality. It is amazing drivers car. But is also aided quite well by some of stickiest R compound tires on the market.
Agree with your posts.

I don't agree with James above. Porsche still makes some of the best performance and just as importantly most engaging cars. People wouldn't be paying Msrp x 2 or 3 to get GT cars I've they weren't still the top of the game.
A z28 while great, has r compounds and can't beat a GT cruiser in the turbo S. mind you that Turbo S is also faster than a speciale on lesser tires too on tracks.
And the new Carrera S at 7:34 with only 420 hp is again what porsche is. Doing far more with far less. Think about this, the m4 GTS also a good car (despite being awful looking) isn't much faster despite the huge hp more and again on better tires. Same tires, the 991.2 S would match or beat it for much less money too. Sounds like continued win for Porsche to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 09:04 AM   #68
dgp
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: Bicycle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
Exactly same thing they did with the new 911 Carrera S. They said in press release it would do 7:34 around the ring. Well, SportAuto just backed that time up in an independent test. Guess we will have to be patient to find out the Turbo S is on another level, 20 sec faster around the ring. Turbo S is supercar quick. I can fanboy over the Z28 too, but I live in reality. It is amazing drivers car. But is also aided quite well by some of stickiest R compound tires on the market.
No, Porsche claimed new 911 S will do 7:30 at the ring and SportAuto did 7:34 (or 2s slower than 991 GT3 in similar SportAuto test which Porsche claimed will do 7:25 (no videos to back that time).
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 09:13 AM   #69
dgp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsportenterprise View Post
Agree with your posts.

And the new Carrera S at 7:34 with only 420 hp is again what porsche is. Doing far more with far less. Think about this, the 991 GT3 also a good car (despite being awful looking) isn't much faster despite the huge hp more and again on better tires. Same tires, the 991.2 S would match or beat it for much less money too. Sounds like continued win for Porsche to me.
Fixed that for you
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 09:31 AM   #70
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Drives: Ford Raptor

^^You think a GT3 is ugly? And it is a lot quicker than a Carrera S.

-2016 Macan Turbo(GF vehicle)
-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 09:43 AM   #71
dgp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 991GT3 View Post
No, GT3 is a great car, that was for Porsche fanboy above who is claiming Porsche is the best automaker in the world and continues to push his fanboi agenda and bashes bmw's on a bmw forum.

The new 991.2 S is actually quick- within 2 seconds at the ring vs. GT3 (according to SportAuto tests) and tires on the S are nowhere near as grippy as the cup tires on the GT3 (so with cup tires it may be just as quick as a GT3).
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 09:59 AM   #72
Motorsportenterprise
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgp View Post
No, Porsche claimed new 911 S will do 7:30 at the ring and SportAuto did 7:34 (or 2s slower than 991 GT3 in similar SportAuto test which Porsche claimed will do 7:25 (no videos to back that time).
Sport auto times are always slower than manufacturer times. Just like the m4 GTS will likely be 7:32-7:34 or the same as a basic Carrera S. And if the Carrera S were on cups like the M4 would be faster than it too. The GT3 is still faster than both though. I'd put my money on it if I had to with them all being timed at the N'Ring or any other track.
Also, subjective, but a GT3 is not at all anything other than a gorgeous car.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 10:01 AM   #73
Motorsportenterprise
Banned
Rep

Quote:
It's faster than both...and an RS is even faster than all three of them.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 12:08 PM   #74
DC-T
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: F10 M5/Golf R/Amarok

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-T View Post
Funny, Lexus sells so well in the US and you can't give them away here. Assumption is overpriced Corolla...
Because they are an overpriced Corolla.
Wait I have a long list from someone who told me why. Wanna find it...

Got it...

Me: Everytime I get onto the Forums and see a Lexus thread I get so amazed...because down here you can't give them away. They're assumed to be overpriced Corollas, and the dealerships are always next to a Toyota one. In the US they sell so well, though. Makes me wonder if the marketing strategy is just wrong then? A mate brought an ISF and he kept getting roasted, because most Uber cars here are Corollas. One day he drove up to a BBQ and someone asked, "hey, didn't know Uber drivers join in on the meal?" Last time we saw that car-enter the M3.

Response Dude 1: Sounds like South Africans don't like Toyotas or anything related to them.

Yep some Lexi such as the ES are warmed over Toyotas but there are several Lexus lines that are unique to the brand -- in the US at any rate. IS, GS and LS are all unique to Lexus. The fact that they share some components with Toyota is seen in the US as a testimonial to their probable reliability, and in fact Lexus is the most reliable brand in several consumer surveys. Luxury + reliability sells here.

Me: Toyotas sell the most here-only VW outsells them. They've been in the country for years and are loved by all. Their vans/trucks as called over there are by far the most selling. The problem is just Lexus. Seems to be a symbol to buy German, the belief is by buying a Lexus, you in an overpriced Corolla. I've seen what an ISF can do, and it's got some nice bits-but it's just nowhere close to my M.

Amusing how many wouldn't touch a Golf but would buy an Audi, wouldn't touch aN Audi but drive a Porsche. All boils down to preference, me thinks. Would you choose a Lexus over a German Marque for exact same price?
Edit QUOTE

eggwoll 03:22 AM 05-08-2016
The GS350 is a solid vehicle. Well built, beautifully appointed interior, surprisingly amazing driving dynamics for a vehicle of its size, and reliability that will stand the test of time. Only downside is the NAV/UI but that has been improved on the 2016+ models. I used to own an IS350 with the same 2GR-FSE engine in the GS; clocked almost 140K miles on that car with 0 issues in my ownership experience.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 03:07 PM   #75
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
No, GT3 is a great car, that was for Porsche fanboy above who is claiming Porsche is the best automaker in the world and continues to push his fanboi agenda and bashes bmw's on a bmw forum.

The new 991.2 S is actually quick- within 2 seconds at the ring vs. GT3 (according to SportAuto tests) and tires on the S are nowhere near as grippy as the cup tires on the GT3 (so with cup tires it may be just as quick as a GT3).
Ok. I don't buy for one second a .2 Carrera S is a quick as a .1 GT3. I have driven both and its not even close(except for the price).

-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 03:13 PM   #76
eflatminor
Private
Rep

Drives: 2016 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B View Post
Aside from a stripper Jetta, what German car isn't overpriced?
This one:

Last edited by eflatminor; 05-19-2016 at 09:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 04:06 PM   #77
dgp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ok. I don't buy for one second a .2 Carrera S is a quick as a .1 GT3. I have driven both and its not even close(except for the price).
How do you explain SportAuto 2s gap between the two? One is on sticky tires the other is pzeros. Maybe they had completely different weather when they tested GT3, who knows, but lap times are somewhat similar.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 04:32 PM   #78
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: anything with 4 wheels

Quote:
I dunno. I can believe it's close

The S likely also had the rear wheel steering of the GT3. Less aero so less drag. The twin turbo has a broader torque curve and probably could put power down at lower RPMs.

Top speed is lesser in the S, but usable acceleration is likely on par, if not slightly exceeding the .1 GT3.

I've stated before that a properly tuned 991.2 Carrera S or GTS will easily be as fast as a 991.1 GT3 or even GT3RS.
      05-18-2016, 04:36 PM   #79
dgp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post
I dunno. I can believe it's close

The S likely also had the rear wheel steering of the GT3. Less aero so less drag. The twin turbo has a broader torque curve and probably could put power down at lower RPMs.

Top speed is lesser in the S, but usable acceleration is likely on par, if not slightly exceeding the .1 GT3.

I've stated before that a properly tuned 991.2 Carrera S or GTS will easily be as fast as a 991.1 GT3 or even GT3RS.
Yep. Seems like it. Also 991.1 GT3 ran 1.09:5 at hockenheim short circuit while 991.2 Carrera S ran 1.09:6- I believe cars are very close (same rear wheel steering), if 991.2 S had same tires as GT3 it may likely be quicker.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 09:19 PM   #80
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

991.2 sounds like doodoo though. GT3 sounds and looks incredible.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 03:15 PM   #81
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
How do you explain SportAuto 2s gap between the two? One is on sticky tires the other is pzeros. Maybe they had completely different weather when they tested GT3, who knows, but lap times are somewhat similar.
I take that stuff with a huge grain of salt. Different drivers, different weather, different tires, different days etc......
I watched a video by Autocar pitting a GT3 against a GTR Nismo on a cold wet track and the GT3 won. The GTR should have killed the GT3.

-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 04:52 PM   #82
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

I am always amazed at how much time is spent bar stool racing cars. Then after 7 and a half minutes around one of the longest tracks in the world (which I have virtually no chance of taking my car) one is 2 seconds quicker than the other and this should somehow relate back to helping with a buying decision is beyond me.
      05-22-2016, 12:02 PM   #83
mremg
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: TT RS, NC MX5

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
I am always amazed at how much time is spent bar stool racing cars. Then after 7 and a half minutes around one of the longest tracks in the world (which I have virtually no chance of taking my car) one is 2 seconds quicker than the other and this should somehow relate back to helping with a buying decision is beyond me.
Don't forget that it's 2 seconds quicker in the hands of a very professional driver.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 02:26 PM   #84
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: as many as possible

Damn!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/next-pana...140601974.html

Mmmmmm.
      05-29-2016, 01:27 PM   #85
eflatminor
Private
Rep

Drives: 2016 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
That's an incredibly impressive vehicle. It's also among the ugliest cars in production, in my humble opinion. Just so odd looking.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 06:18 PM   #86
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
I have always said to myself, you get what you are paying for it.

So... Porsches are Porsches, you know what you are getting.
      06-04-2016, 12:58 PM   #87
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep

Drives: a bicycle

Quote:
The new one looks amazing!

Wow...

I wonder if the porsche dealership will have a base model one for a loaner car, haha
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 03:09 PM   #88
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflatminor
Quote:
That's an incredibly impressive vehicle. It's also among the ugliest cars in production, in my humble opinion. Just so odd looking.
Was discussing this with one of the top marketing folks at Porsche NA. She laughed her ass off when I said "I don't sleep with heavy women, but the car is what it must be like to f*ck a fat chick. Disgusting to look at but a lot of fun once you're inside." I have driven the car multiple times, it's really impressive. But just hideous.
Appreciate 0