New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

05-05-2016, 01:42 AM   #1
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

Is Porsche a bit overpriced..?

[flamesuiton]I've been looking into the price of Porsche lately, as it's one of the only cars I would consider trading the ///M in for. Just to preface, I test drove a Cayman (not the S model) a few years back, and loved it. It was a little under powered, and the transmission was junk IMO, but all in all, it was a great experience and I could definitely see myself behind the wheel of some type of Porsche some day. My problem is: the price.

So I ask the general consensus, are Porsche a bit overpriced (I'm talking your average Porsche, i.e. Cayman, older and cheaper model 911's, not GT3RS, GT2, etc)? If not, what justifies the huge price tag of the new Cayman's and the older 911's? Even the older Cayman's are in the $40's or $50's now, although I remember the Cayman I test drove a few years back being around $29k, and I think it was a 2009ish model? Seems hard to touch a Cayman for under $40k now. I'd take a GT3 in a heartbeat, don't get me wrong. I am sure the driving experience is absolutely sublime, but the price tag on them is way above my pay grade I'm afraid. Even the new Cayman GTS is in the used F430 or Gallardo territory, and the Cayman (atleast the older model) was considered the "poor man's 911".

I'll be totally honest, I'm not well versed on Porsche, have only driven the older Cayman, and haven't kept up with anything they've done in the last few years, but to me it seems that the Cayman and the older 911's are pretty pricey for what they are. For the price they cost, I can think of several other "more exotic" cars I would rather have (i.e. Ferrari or Lamborghini).[/flamesuitoff]
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rat3d_m/
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 02:44 AM   #2
scoobysaurus
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by |||||||||| View Post
[flamesuiton]I've been looking into the price of Porsche lately, as it's one of the only cars I would consider trading the ///M in for. Just to preface, I test drove a Cayman (not the S model) a few years back, and loved it. It was a little under powered, and the transmission was junk IMO, but all in all, it was a great experience and I could definitely see myself behind the wheel of some type of Porsche some day. My problem is: the price.

So I ask the general consensus, are Porsche a bit overpriced (I'm talking your average Porsche, i.e. Cayman, older and cheaper model 911's, not GT3RS, GT2, etc)? If not, what justifies the huge price tag of the new Cayman's and the older 911's? Even the older Cayman's are in the $40's or $50's now, although I remember the Cayman I test drove a few years back being around $29k, and I think it was a 2009ish model? Seems hard to touch a Cayman for under $40k now. I'd take a GT3 in a heartbeat, don't get me wrong. I am sure the driving experience is absolutely sublime, but the price tag on them is way above my pay grade I'm afraid. Even the new Cayman GTS is in the used F430 or Gallardo territory, and the Cayman (atleast the older model) was considered the "poor man's 911".

I'll be totally honest, I'm not well versed on Porsche, have only driven the older Cayman, and haven't kept up with anything they've done in the last few years, but to me it seems that the Cayman and the older 911's are pretty pricey for what they are. For the price they cost, I can think of several other "more exotic" cars I would rather have (i.e. Ferrari or Lamborghini).[/flamesuitoff]
They're pretty good but in most cases you're paying for the badge. I have a Cayenne turbo and the best part about the thing is that it handles almost as well as my 6er on the road, and is just as good as a Nissan Patrol off road. IMO it's the best "all rounder" SUV on the market so I guess the price is justified. I can't speak for the Cayman but the Boxster that I drove handled really well but too bad it's never going to shake off that poor man's Porsche image, if "exoticness" is what you care about. The only Porsches that are even remotely exotic are the 911 GT3 and turbo/turbo S. But in the price range of turbo S you start approaching McLaren, Lamborghini and Ferrari territory so those are clearly a lot more exotic than any turbo S.

My advise, if someone is shopping purely for image, Porsche is more exotic than its competitors up to about 120k but over that you're better off buying something truly bespoke. Of course you can get a CPO Porsche if you feel the new cars are overpriced. It's surprising the resale values of the Cayman and Boxster are so high Germany because a 2009 Cayman would be dirt cheap here.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 03:23 AM   #3
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Overpriced, yeah, but they're good cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 03:49 AM   #4
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep

Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Basic Supply-Demand economic rule...
Appreciate 2
      05-05-2016, 06:15 AM   #5
Vetsky
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: BMW M3

This is a tough question to answer as I do find car values to be very subjective. With that being said. I do believe that most sport car manufactures use the 911 as a baseline. Be it performance or price. The 911 has been around for so long that it is a natural benchmark. This allows them to charge a premium.

Although, my old 2015 911 GTS cost about the same as my new BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 06:20 AM   #6
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Aside from a stripper Jetta, what German car isn't overpriced?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 07:01 AM   #7
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Cars are only worth what somebody is willing to pay for them.

Nothing more, nothing less.
Appreciate 4
      05-05-2016, 07:03 AM   #8
TomD335xicoupe
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 08 335XI me ,19 x3 M40 wife

I have owned three different 911s (RS America , 993, 996) there is no question in my mind that if you have any intention to drive a vehicle on the track It is cheep to own a Porsche. Mine were indestructible sans the Armco at Lime Rock for the RSA. They just dont brake down unless you dont take care of them, very limited attention actually. You can seriously abuse these cars direct from the factory at the track and take them out to dinner that night. It is truly the best engineered car for the money. If you are over the track experience and just want a nice compliant sports type car to drive less expensive choice abound. You can see my choice i like my car and it does everything i need it to do but even not abused it need a lot of love. You getvwhat you pay for.
Cost of a car for the way it makes you feel or the esthetics of the design well that is subject to your financial reality at th time You decide to open your wallet.As far as buying them for what other people think you have I think a nice Saturn would do the trick for me.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2016, 07:15 AM   #9
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: anything with 4 wheels

In terms of cost to run, repairs, parts.....if you think M-tax is bad...Pcar shop time/parts aren't exactly cheap
      05-05-2016, 07:20 AM   #10
BuzzE46
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2006 M3 E46

I don't have crazy money like that yet, im 23 but the way I see it why would I pay 90 grand for same performance of a 335i? it just doesn't make sense. I think its a mental thing on how enthusiasts say one day I want a "p car". to be honest I think M cars look way better anyway. for the price I wouldn't even if I had the money. its just an image. most of the models aren't that appealing to me.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2016, 07:23 AM   #11
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Hell yeh. I had a Porsche Boxster. Maintenance costs were horrendous.
Traded in for 335i and would never go back
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2016, 07:31 AM   #12
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzE46
I don't have crazy money like that yet, im 23 but the way I see it why would I pay 90 grand for same performance of a 335i? it just doesn't make sense. I think its a mental thing on how enthusiasts say one day I want a "p car". to be honest I think M cars look way better anyway. for the price I wouldn't even if I had the money. its just an image. most of the models aren't that appealing to me.
How do you define performance? You need to consider driving dynamics, handling etc beyond just hp or 0-60 times.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 07:42 AM   #13
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Drives: GT4

Being a 17 year BMW vet and a new P-Car owner I'll say this.....you don't get it until you actually own one. If you want to be king of the stop light races this ain't the car for you. If you are looking for driving dynamics, total mechanical engagement, and just smiles per mile, the P-Car will check all of those boxes and then some. From a price perspective, I think current BMW's are overpriced as well. At least the P-Car will hold value much better......Phil
Appreciate 3
      05-05-2016, 07:47 AM   #14
lens
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Yeah, overall Porsche is second to Lexus on the reliability chart. It won't leave you stranded, and you won't be afraid putting mileage on it like on BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 07:53 AM   #15
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzE46 View Post
the way I see it why would I pay 90 grand for same performance of a 335i?.
Not even close. Put down the magazines and try driving one.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 07:55 AM   #16
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

By making a list of what they come with and what they will do, no luxury or sports car makes good financial sense or can be justified by "worth it". The market has decided that they are worth what they are being sold for and if you ask random people (or a forum) you will get many that say they are and many that disagree.

Pointless to ask the general question, you have to decide or at least compare them to another option in the same price range or performance type.
      05-05-2016, 08:06 AM   #17
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: anything with 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
Yeah, overall Porsche is second to Lexus on the reliability chart.
That's a bit of a leap.

IMS bearing?

Cooling hose attachment?

Engine replacement?

Any of those ring a bell?

Don't get me wrong, I love PCars, and hopefully forsee a GTcar in my future, but I don't have any misconceptions.
      05-05-2016, 08:29 AM   #18
Motorsportenterprise
Banned
Rep

Drives: Turbo/NA

Most cars could be considered overpriced but it all depends on what people will pay and given Porsche continue to sell 911s at the prices they do, I'd say no. They are one of, if not the best built, most reliable and highest dependability of any car made. Certainly a lot better than anything in its price range. Not to say they don't occasionally have issues, as ALL makers do but theirs are by and large immaterial and they can be abused and driven at the track hard without needing a thing (unlike most other "track ready" street cars). I've wrung mine out at the track before and drove home in comfort and luxury like it hadn't even worked up a sweat.
Also for the guy who made the 335 comment. 335s are not fast and don't handle very well. You'd need any M to qualify there and they still don't handle nearly as well. Other than maybe being faster than a base boxster, it's not in the realm of performance anything else is in the Porsche lineup. And going beyond straight speeds, it isn't comparable in handling, driving dynamics or any other facet of performance or engineering. One could also make the case that a 30k mustang or camaro will beat any 335 or M3 for half the price.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 09:13 AM   #19
BuzzE46
First Lieutenant
Rep

I drove my friends Cheyenne GTS. nothing special for 100k, looks like a lady bug on the rear as well. just my opinion. to each their own.

GT4 is nice, but I still prefer an M over that, that's just me just how people are JDM fanatics. everyone likes their slice different
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 09:15 AM   #20
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

They are worth what people pay for them.

That said, take the starting price of any porsche and times it by 1.5 to come up with the most likely "equipped" selling price.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 09:21 AM   #21
BuzzE46
First Lieutenant
Rep

if I wanted 0-60 times then I would get awd drive car that's good from the dig like muscle cars.

for me I picked an M3

bc of exterior.
driving dynamics
handling
pure drivers car.
fun factor.
high rpm driving to get most power
to me it has "soul"

I do agree Porsches like my friends cayman is excellent to drive as well, but my preference is an M.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 09:22 AM   #22
BuzzE46
First Lieutenant
Rep

as much as I love bmw , they are no where near reliable besides toyata lexus, Nissan, Honda etc
Appreciate 0