Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

04-10-2019, 01:13 PM   #111
.2pdk
Banned
Rep

Drives: M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Will the loony conspiracy theories ever stop?
Yes, when his second term is over.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 01:25 PM   #112
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep

Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
More evidence that TDS causes hallucinations. ����*♂️ Will the loony conspiracy theories ever stop?
Well, Laurence Tribe - a law professor at Harvard - agrees that there is merit to the opinion. So....

In Trump's interpretation, foreign government bribes aren't illegal as long as they enrich him through the businesses he owns. So presidents with business empires are exempt from the Constitution's anti-corruption Emoluments Clauses. How convenient. https://t.co/PurqZllv5o
Laurence Tribe (@tribelaw) April 10, 2019
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2019, 01:35 PM   #113
detroitm2
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_COLD View Post
Well, Laurence Tribe - a law professor at Harvard - agrees that there is merit to the opinion. So....

In Trump's interpretation, foreign government bribes aren't illegal as long as they enrich him through the businesses he owns. So presidents with business empires are exempt from the Constitution's anti-corruption Emoluments Clauses. How convenient. https://t.co/PurqZllv5o
And Brendan Nyhan, a Political Scientist, says Tribe "has become an important vector of misinformation and conspiracy theories on Twitter"
Appreciate 1
glennQNYC5425.50

04-10-2019, 01:37 PM   #114
.2pdk
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
And Brendan Nyhan, a Political Scientist, says Tribe "has become an important vector of misinformation and conspiracy theories on Twitter"
And here's the problem these days, who do you believe?

Pick a side, any side...
Appreciate 2
      04-10-2019, 01:40 PM   #115
detroitm2
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by .2pdk View Post
And here's the problem these days, who do you believe?

Pick a side, any side...
Its funny, because Brendan Nyhan is a liberal. He's generally against Trump, but calls out Tribe on his BS:

https://www.chronicle.com/article/2-...-Into-a/240405
Appreciate 1
glennQNYC5425.50

04-10-2019, 01:40 PM   #116
hooligan_COLD
Rep

Quote:
What about US District Court Judge Emmett Sullivan? He a "vector of misinformation and conspiracy theories", too? Let's throw in the AGs for DC and Maryland, as well, since we're at it. Eh?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 01:42 PM   #117
.2pdk
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Its funny, because Brendan Nyhan is a liberal. He's generally against Trump, but calls out Tribe on his BS:
A liberal with integrity?

Stop goofing around...
Appreciate 1
detroitm2904.50

04-10-2019, 01:46 PM   #118
detroitm2
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
What about US District Court Judge Emmett Sullivan? He a "vector of misinformation and conspiracy theories", too? Let's throw in the AGs for DC and Maryland, as well, since we're at it. Eh?
:shrug:

Was just pointing out that the previous argument (Tribe) isn't without some controversy, even from those on his side.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2019, 02:12 PM   #119
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep

Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Interesting, as most fake and/or conspiracy people and sites tend to be on the Trump side.
      04-10-2019, 02:15 PM   #120
TheWatchGuy
Major
Rep

Drives: 335xi

Quote:

Are people still saying that a foreignor staying at his hotel and paying for the room is a violation? Paying a fee, that everyone would pay, to stay at one of his hotels isnt a gift and wouldnt be technically in violation.

Now if you are die-hard anti-trumper, then yes, you would think it is a bribe because you need it to be a bribe to fit the narrative.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 02:17 PM   #121
TheWatchGuy
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
Interesting, as most fake and/or conspiracy people and sites tend to be on the Trump side.
you must be only visiting the conservative sites i guess

youd have to try really hard to not see that the fake news and conspiracies are extremely prevalent on both sides of the aisle.

Or, youd have to just lie to yourself that it is only the Trumpers so that it makes you feel better about your stances.

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 02:20 PM   #122
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
Are people still saying that a foreignor staying at his hotel and paying for the room is a violation? Paying a fee, that everyone would pay, to stay at one of his hotels isnt a gift and wouldnt be technically in violation.

Now if you are die-hard anti-trumper, then yes, you would think it is a bribe because you need it to be a bribe to fit the narrative.
But if they are simply staying there to benefit him that is a violation of the emoluments clause.

The Title of Nobility Clause is a provision in Article I, Section 9, Clause 8 of the United States Constitution,[1] that prohibits the federal government from granting titles of nobility, and restricts members of the government from receiving gifts, emoluments, offices or titles from foreign states and monarchies without the consent of the United States Congress. Also known as the Emoluments Clause, it was designed to shield the republican character of the United States against so-called "corrupting foreign influences." This shield is reinforced by the corresponding prohibition on state titles of nobility in Article I, Section 10, and more generally by the Republican Guarantee Clause in Article IV, Section 4.[2]
      04-10-2019, 02:23 PM   #123
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
you must be only visiting the conservative sites i guess

youd have to try really hard to not see that the fake news and conspiracies are extremely prevalent on both sides of the aisle.

Or, youd have to just lie to yourself that it is only the Trumpers so that it makes you feel better about your stances.
The vast majority I see, especially on bimmerpost, are from Trump supporters.

Zerohedge, praying medic (featuring Qanon), bratbart, Alex Jones, summit news, Gateway Pundit, FOX news opinion, and many, many other examples.
      04-10-2019, 02:25 PM   #124
TheWatchGuy
Major
Rep

Quote:
But if they are simply staying there to benefit him that is a violation of the emoluments clause.

The Title of Nobility Clause is a provision in Article I, Section 9, Clause 8 of the United States Constitution,[1] that prohibits the federal government from granting titles of nobility, and restricts members of the government from receiving gifts, emoluments, offices or titles from foreign states and monarchies without the consent of the United States Congress. Also known as the Emoluments Clause, it was designed to shield the republican character of the United States against so-called "corrupting foreign influences." This shield is reinforced by the corresponding prohibition on state titles of nobility in Article I, Section 10, and more generally by the Republican Guarantee Clause in Article IV, Section 4.[2]
yes, i posted a paraphrased quote of it earlier in this thread. try to keep up.

and how does it benefit him if a foreigner stays there or someone who is an American? you are trying to make an argument for a case that doesnt exist.

unless foreigners pay an additional foreigner fee

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 02:26 PM   #125
TheWatchGuy
Major
Rep

Quote:
The vast majority I see, especially on bimmerpost, are from Trump supporters.

Zerohedge, praying medic (featuring Qanon), bratbart, Alex Jones, summit news, Gateway Pundit, FOX news opinion, and many, many other examples.
then yep, you are trying hard not to see them.

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 02:28 PM   #126
hooligan_COLD
Rep

Quote:

If by "people" you mean at least two Attorneys General, then the answer is evidently yes.

I don't know that it constitutes a "bribe", per se, but is without question enriching oneself through the office of the Presidency.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 02:30 PM   #127
hooligan_COLD
Rep

Quote:

and how does it benefit him if a foreigner stays there or someone who is an American? you are trying to make an argument for a case that doesnt exist.

That position would assume that without the foreign delegation staying there, the property would have the exact same occupancy rate for a given time period, no?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 02:40 PM   #128
TheWatchGuy
Major
Rep

Quote:
That position would assume that without the foreign delegation staying there, the property would have the exact same occupancy rate for a given time period, no?
the position would assume that the occupancy rates of both americans and foreigners prior to him running for and winning the presidency havent changed

you cant look at it for 1 day, you need to look at it as whole.

now if you could look at the data and see that over the course of trumps presidency the occupancy rates have skyrocketed and foreign visitors have gone up significantly, then sure you could maybe make the argument you are trying to make.

without any actual factual data, guess what it is? one of those conspiracy theories Real Dodger doesnt believe exist

Appreciate 1

04-10-2019, 02:42 PM   #129
hooligan_COLD
Rep

Quote:
the position would assume that the occupancy rates of both americans and foreigners prior to him running for and winning the presidency havent changed

you cant look at it for 1 day, you need to look at it as whole.

now if you could look at the data and see that over the course of trumps presidency the occupancy rates have skyrocketed and foreign visitors have gone up significantly, then sure you could maybe make the argument you are trying to make.

without any actual factual data, guess what it is? one of those conspiracy theories Real Dodger doesnt believe exist

Wrong. If the, say, Japanese delegation stays there with 75 people over the week, and there aren't 75 people turned away because the house is full, Trump has just enriched himself via the office of the Presidency. Period.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2019, 02:43 PM   #130
TheWatchGuy
Major
Rep

Quote:
If by "people" you mean at least two Attorneys General, then the answer is evidently yes.

I don't know that it constitutes a "bribe", per se, but is without question enriching oneself through the office of the Presidency.
i mean, its been brought up and defended since 2016. how many times they going to try and do this?

I guess since the Mueller investigation didnt work, we are going back to some of the oldies?

Its not like Trump is a saint, youd think theyd be able to come up with new accusations that havent been beaten down before.

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 03:01 PM   #131
hooligan_COLD
Rep

Quote:
i mean, its been brought up and defended since 2016. how many times they going to try and do this?

I guess since the Mueller investigation didnt work, we are going back to some of the oldies?

Its not like Trump is a saint, youd think theyd be able to come up with new accusations that havent been beaten down before.
AFAIK, the lawsuit has been ongoing, so I'm not sure "going back to" is accurate. Neither, it would seem, is "been beaten down before".

I could be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 03:13 PM   #132
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:

Try to keep up? Rich. Usually spoken by someone who is losing an argument.

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/16/68597...th-trump-hotel

Saudi lobbyists bought 500 nights at Trump's DC hotel after 2016 ...
https://thehill.com/.../419956-saudi...s-at-dc-trump-...
Dec 5, 2018 - Saudi lobbyists moved some business to President Trump's hotel in Washington, D.C., last year following the 2016 election, paying for an ...