New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

05-07-2022, 08:55 PM   #67
xmanpro
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 24 M8C 24 X6MC 21 M3C

Wtf is this?!?
      05-07-2022, 09:11 PM   #68
Rapcat
Private
Rep

Drives: E36 M3 conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbertels View Post
This feels wildly unacceptable given the sticker of most vehicles. I'm not intimately familiar with specific supply chains but a 2022+ vehicle without what should be standard features seems ridiculous.
Agreed. I canceled my X3 order in December and ordered a Tesla. There’s no way I can go from a 2019 X3 to a 2022 X3 and lose features. No touchscreen was the deal killer.

I’ll be back when BMW’s electric cars have tow hitches.
Appreciate 1
cbertels1215.50
      05-07-2022, 10:06 PM   #69
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
I sincerely hope nobody rewards BMW by paying ludicrous prices for crippled vehicles. Also got a chuckle at Mini blaming the chip shortage for dropping manual transmissions. COVID is the universal excuse for crap customer service and failure to plan adequately.

I wonder how long the chip shortage needs to go on (another 2 years? More?) before we finally figure out there is plenty of market availability here in North America and finally use some subsidies to kick start those factories here.
Check out BMW's latest Q numbers. Why would they want the chip shortage to ever end? Consumers will literally pay anything that is asked. Record profits and revenue. A crisis where they actually made more cars. LOL.
Appreciate 3
stefan2349.50
nerdogray1286.00
      05-07-2022, 10:10 PM   #70
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNYC1919 View Post
Is bmw Navi good in terms of routes/ traffic etc. ? I always go with google maps as my go to choice for accuracy but it doesn't show up in the HUD. Apple Maps shows turn by turn in HUD so that is my go to option if I have unique destination I've never been to. But I never really use the bmw navi. Is it good ?
I always use the BMW navigation. It works great and I get over the air map upgrades.
BMW has the old Nokia maps if I am not mistaken.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 10:14 PM   #71
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
Quote:
I sincerely hope nobody rewards BMW by paying ludicrous prices for crippled vehicles. Also got a chuckle at Mini blaming the chip shortage for dropping manual transmissions. COVID is the universal excuse for crap customer service and failure to plan adequately.

I wonder how long the chip shortage needs to go on (another 2 years? More?) before we finally figure out there is plenty of market availability here in North America and finally use some subsidies to kick start those factories here.
Check out BMW's latest Q numbers. Why would they want the chip shortage to ever end? Consumers will literally pay anything that is asked. Record profits and revenue. A crisis where they actually made more cars. LOL.
It's about to be less fun for them. Money to finance has been damn near free. No longer the case and will keep going up. Inflation is making people, even some that drive luxury brands, pay more attention. It will cycle back around and they will have to bring expected value to sell cars.

The hardest part to predict is the supply chain aspects being affected by the war. The Chinese are going to figure out how to provide product. They need the money in their economy. Just my opinion, anyway.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 1
chrisk03153.00
      05-08-2022, 05:39 AM   #72
robopp
Major
Rep

Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8face View Post
One thing I loved about CarPlay on ID6 was that the voice button on the steering wheel activated Siri, even while ACP was just running in the background, which made for example searching a destination incredibly quick and easy. Once the destination popped up on screen, scroll down a couple clicks, select "Send to BMW Nav" and it would flip over to the car's native navigation. Always preferred this as directions would then be on the HUD. Haven't used this in ID7 yet but hoping that's still how it works when my new car arrives. Voice to text also very useful
In ID7 the CarPlay directions are in the HUD too. I only have ID6, which is a bummer because I would love this feature.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2022, 05:40 AM   #73
robopp
Major
Rep

Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

It's about to be less fun for them. Money to finance has been damn near free. No longer the case and will keep going up. Inflation is making people, even some that drive luxury brands, pay more attention. It will cycle back around and they will have to bring expected value to sell cars.

The hardest part to predict is the supply chain aspects being affected by the war. The Chinese are going to figure out how to provide product. They need the money in their economy. Just my opinion, anyway.
We're running into this bog time at work. Some of our chips are back ordered for two years! That's essentially saying go find something else because we have no clue when they're going to be available again.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 07:07 AM   #74
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I agree.

Unfortunately the Chinese will likely fall behind the US in chip manufacturing very soon. My relatives who are reasonable high up in AMD and Intel and both have said they are focusing on ramping up US production so as not to rely on the Chinese.

So much high tech coming back to the US, it is putting huge pressure on salaries (demand far greater than supply) but it is still worth it because of lower risk and better control over the supply chain in a critical component.
Appreciate 2
NGT25547.50
chrisk03153.00
      05-08-2022, 08:06 AM   #75
Rivanov
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Drives: F40 BMW 118iA HE M-Sport 2022

Garage List
2022 BMW 118i  [10.00]
Quote:
Maps are from Here.
      05-08-2022, 08:26 AM   #76
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
I have car play in my '21, and have never used it. It's annoying. You have to switch from it back to the the original iDrive set up to access car settings, ect.

Also, BMW maps are so more intuitive with car than Apple Maps.
This is not the most hilarious things I've heard on this forum but it's up there... if you like a consistently outdated design, lack of live info such as traffic, road obstacles, lack of police warnings such as in waze, then yes please continue to use the bmw systems... but be careful because soon you will need to figure out that wonderful ID8... i'll stick to carplay which is simple, fast, seamless and always understands what I want to do thru Siri.
BardG211.50
530iDriver1707.50
Vervain397.50
      05-08-2022, 08:45 AM   #77
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Quote:
I have car play in my '21, and have never used it. It's annoying. You have to switch from it back to the the original iDrive set up to access car settings, ect.

This is not the most hilarious things I've heard on this forum but it's up there... if you like a consistently outdated design, lack of live info such as traffic, road obstacles, lack of police warnings such as in waze, then yes please continue to use the bmw systems... but be careful because soon you will need to figure out that wonderful ID8... i'll stick to carplay which is simple, fast, seamless and always understands what I want to do thru Siri.
Great. BMW's navigation does that all too.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 09:29 AM   #78
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Quote:

Great. BMW's navigation does that all too.
Not as good. Also, you can access car settings by saving it as one or more hot keys. Here maps (what bmw uses) isn't as good as Google or Apple - JMHO
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 09:31 AM   #79
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivanov View Post
Quote:
Maps are from Here.
Thanks. You're right. Here was developed by Nokia.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_WeGo
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 10:42 AM   #80
VICG20M
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
Could be worse. Audi is shipping $60k+ cars without keyless entry. Ummm, no sale.
They also are only giving 1 key fob at Audi.

On certain general motor vehicles there are no heated seats, ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, and lumbar. They are adding a small credit from $50-$100 on the MSRP and stating it will retrofitted at a later date at the service center.
Appreciate 1
Drmsa43.00
      05-08-2022, 12:01 PM   #81
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by robopp View Post
We're running into this bog time at work. Some of our chips are back ordered for two years! That's essentially saying go find something else because we have no clue when they're going to be available again.
No doubt. Right now only those customers with buying power and standing orders are getting product reliably. This includes the fabs and packaging houses that manufacture semiconductors. Seems the whole landscape of semi manufacturing is being rewritten and we're living through it. We'll be better for it by 2024 but no doubt the cost of goods will go up.
NGT25547.50
      05-08-2022, 12:18 PM   #82
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: various BMW

Quote:
I agree.

Unfortunately the Chinese will likely fall behind the US in chip manufacturing very soon. My relatives who are reasonable high up in AMD and Intel and both have said they are focusing on ramping up US production so as not to rely on the Chinese.

So much high tech coming back to the US, it is putting huge pressure on salaries (demand far greater than supply) but it is still worth it because of lower risk and better control over the supply chain in a critical component.
AMD had a foundry they spun off 13 years ago. It's now known as Global Foundry. And they're not (yet) able to manufacture anything with a narrower pitch than 10 or 12nm. So for AMDs Ryzen CPU's they still use TSMC. The heavy reliance on TSMC is a big issue that might get fixed in 2-4 years as Samsung and Intel expands their capacity and others consider competing on the bleeding edge. TSMC is also opening plants in the US which should help as well.

Other issues affecting semi production are backlogs at packaging houses (many in Malaysia). And, equipment shortages from ASML are another problem and there's no competitor to ASML for many of their narrow pitch solutions. This and the neon gas shortage (thanks to the Russian conflict). It's a mess that is getting better slowly but won't be resolved for at least 2 more years.
      05-08-2022, 01:30 PM   #83
xtopher84
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Quote:
One thing I loved about CarPlay on ID6 was that the voice button on the steering wheel activated Siri, even while ACP was just running in the background, which made for example searching a destination incredibly quick and easy. Once the destination popped up on screen, scroll down a couple clicks, select "Send to BMW Nav" and it would flip over to the car's native navigation. Always preferred this as directions would then be on the HUD. Haven't used this in ID7 yet but hoping that's still how it works when my new car arrives. Voice to text also very useful
In ID7 the CarPlay directions are in the HUD too. I only have ID6, which is a bummer because I would love this feature.
Is Car Play music playlists in the HUD on idrive 7? I really wish this was in ID6. Same for Google Maps nav.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 01:39 PM   #84
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roch M4 View Post
Quote:

In addition the Apple CarPlay inteface looks like a game for toddlers, so annoying and really cheap!
I mostly hate the shite music quality when playing via CarPlay Spotify. Thankfully, I've found a way to have both Waze in carplay and native iDrive Spotify work in unison.
Strange. For me Spotify sound quality is worlds better in Carplay than iDrive native (BT).

Also, on the last Spotify app update they either killed or removed iDrive native app support all together (A truly shite move). The app no longer loads native to my iDrive 6 as of last Friday. This event prompted me to take the plunge and finally enable Carplay in my car. Happy thus far.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      05-08-2022, 01:49 PM   #85
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roch M4 View Post
Quote:

In addition the Apple CarPlay inteface looks like a game for toddlers, so annoying and really cheap!
I mostly hate the shite music quality when playing via CarPlay Spotify. Thankfully, I've found a way to have both Waze in carplay and native iDrive Spotify work in unison.
Strange. For me Spotify sound quality is worlds better in Carplay than iDrive native (BT).

Also, on the last Spotify app update they either killed or removed iDrive native app support all together (A truly shite move). The app no longer loads native to my iDrive 6 as of last Friday. This event prompted me to take the plunge and finally enable Carplay in my car. Happy thus far.
That royally sucks and is a total dick move on BMW's part for not finding a workaround.. I guess it shows that they don't really care about their legacy customers, once the check clears.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 01:53 PM   #86
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtopher84 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Is Car Play music playlists in the HUD on idrive 7? I really wish this was in ID6. Same for Google Maps nav.
I used Spotify and Pandora native in iDrive 6.

The Pandora implementation was garbage. An utter joke. Sound quality was muffled like coming from the bottom of a metal can.

Spotify iDrive Ui was decent for the most part, with decent sound quality over BT. Some sporadic issues here and there that never got resolved in ID6. I feel that since ID6 is ancient history and now 5 years old, BMW no longer has any incentive whatsoever to update/fix some old time lingering issues.

As of last week's Spotify app update, it no longer loads natively in ID6 as part of BMW connected apps🤦🏻. Only Pandora loads natively which I don't really care for. Pretty shite move in part of Spotify to disable ID6 support from one day to the next.

In light of this event, took the plunge and paid BMW the $300 fee to enable Apple Carplay in my car. I truly avoided in the 4-5 years since I bought the car but losing native ID6 support for Spotify broke the camel's neck.

Why didn't I do this years ago? Carplay sound quality is worlds better (Wifi vs BT native) and the UI and user experience is much better. Still resent BMW for penalizing 2017-2018 ID6 owners with a robbery $300 fee for something that should have been part of the car since the get go. Anyway, I am enjoying unlocking this feature in the car and vastly bettee sound quality.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 02:27 PM   #87
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:

Well, I have iDrive 7 so that might make a difference in sound quality? No idea.
      05-08-2022, 02:57 PM   #88
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:

Well, I have iDrive 7 so that might make a difference in sound quality? No idea.
The streaming sound quality is better with CarPlay because it used Wi-Fi to transfer data instead of Bluetooth, which has allows for a higher fidelity rate.

However, this might not matter in iDrive 8 and beyond because that uses the Bluetooth 5.2 version, who's transfer rate is equivalent to Wi-Fi. I believe iDrive 7 still uses the older 4.2 version.
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50