New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-27-2022, 11:28 PM   #6029
Shiza
Captain
Rep

Drives: M3, X5, Ram 2500, Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiza View Post
Anyone else on here reload? I have a few pounds of a few different powders for various cartridges. I know the powder needs to be kept in a cool/dry place as moisture can have adverse effects on it, but I've always felt a bit weird or uneasy keeping it in the house, more specifically the safe. Especially with a newborn about a month away. Anyone else experience this anxiety? Or am I overthinking it?
I've considered getting into it. I just don't shoot enough to make it financially worthwhile at this time, but I do plan to learn. Self-sufficiency is the name of the game.
I enjoy it when I have the time. I started in 2020 when I purchased a rifle chambered in 6.5 creedmoor then realized I couldn't find ammo anywhere. I now do 9mm, 30-06, 6.5, and 45acp. Some cartridges are worthwhile while others won't yield much return. I would say it is a skill worth having though.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24973.00
jamesinaz1642.00
      05-27-2022, 11:30 PM   #6030
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Anyone else on here reload? I have a few pounds of a few different powders for various cartridges. I know the powder needs to be kept in a cool/dry place as moisture can have adverse effects on it, but I've always felt a bit weird or uneasy keeping it in the house, more specifically the safe. Especially with a newborn about a month away. Anyone else experience this anxiety? Or am I overthinking it?
I've considered getting into it. I just don't shoot enough to make it financially worthwhile at this time, but I do plan to learn. Self-sufficiency is the name of the game.
I enjoy it when I have the time. I started in 2020 when I purchased a rifle chambered in 6.5 creedmoor then realized I couldn't find ammo anywhere. I now do 9mm, 30-06, 6.5, and 45acp. Some cartridges are worthwhile while others won't yield much return. I would say it is a skill worth having though.
I agree. I have a couple of buddies who reload, mill lowers, etc. and it's an awesome set of skills to have.
Appreciate 1
Shiza1194.50
      05-27-2022, 11:36 PM   #6031
Shiza
Captain
Rep

Drives: M3, X5, Ram 2500, Wrangler

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I agree. I have a couple of buddies who reload, mill lowers, etc. and it's an awesome set of skills to have.
80's we're recently banned here in MD but you just reminded me to definitely not finish milling mine out this weekend
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24973.00
      05-27-2022, 11:41 PM   #6032
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
80's we're recently banned here in MD but you just reminded me to definitely not finish milling mine out this weekend
Haha! When the SHTF, none of the laws will matter. Stay prepared and ready!!!!
Appreciate 1
Shiza1194.50
      05-28-2022, 05:03 AM   #6033
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
I know of a small electronics/tech company that has a reloading room with all of the tools and stuff, as an employee benefits perk for recruiting. They also have a company group membership at a local range.....
      05-28-2022, 07:42 AM   #6034
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

Quote:
Ask the citizens of Australia or Cuba that question. I'm sure you'd get a mouthful. The second amendment was written for BOTH foreign AND domestic invaders (…which could be an assault from your own government). There's a reason the U.S. is the last true free society, and that's because, as a people, we have a means of defense.

You are naive as hell if you think a baseball bat is going to do anything for you. It's apparent you are anti-2A, but this country was founded using firearms. It's engrained in the culture of this country.

….and stop blaming guns and gun owners for that tragedy in Texas. Disgusting!
Add Canada to the list too.
The government (never missing a chance to exploit a tragedy) is looking at additional laws in Canada while completely ignoring the real issues and players
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24973.00
Dpc2u11503.00
      05-28-2022, 07:44 AM   #6035
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by packet View Post
Quote:
Ask the citizens of Australia or Cuba that question. I'm sure you'd get a mouthful. The second amendment was written for BOTH foreign AND domestic invaders (…which could be an assault from your own government). There's a reason the U.S. is the last true free society, and that's because, as a people, we have a means of defense.

You are naive as hell if you think a baseball bat is going to do anything for you. It's apparent you are anti-2A, but this country was founded using firearms. It's engrained in the culture of this country.

Add Canada to the list too.
The government (never missing a chance to exploit a tragedy) is looking at additional laws in Canada while completely ignoring the real issues and players
I was going to add you guys to the list. There's a lot of tension up there and the Patriots down here feel for you guys.
Appreciate 1
paquet629.50
      05-28-2022, 07:45 AM   #6036
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killed by Death View Post
Who's more ammo rich? Probably everyone but I'm feeling secure on 9mm anyway

Still can't find much 38 or 357
oh you ammosexual
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2022, 07:47 AM   #6037
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:
I used to reload .45 when I was shooting a lot of competitive handgun. Got tired of it and sold off my reloading kit. Now, thinking it might be handy for my Garand. Can't used standard 30.06 ammo in them because civilian ammo is too hot and it batters the action. And finding military grade is getting harder to do.

Then again, the garage isn't A/C and it is HOT out there. Oh yeah I actually stopped reloading when I moved from my house with an air conditioned garage. Maybe they are linked.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 07:48 AM   #6038
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was going to add you guys to the list. There's a lot of tension up there and the Patriots down here feel for you guys.
It's frustrating. So many other issues yet focusing on the entirely wrong issue in Canada - it's like going to a doctor 'yeah i see you have a broken leg, but lets put a bandaid on the cuticle.'

Keeping one foot on either side of the border has exposed me to some rather fascinating insights in people, I must say, despite my being a dumb shit (and reasonably proud of it)
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24973.00
      05-28-2022, 07:53 AM   #6039
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killed by Death View Post
Who's more ammo rich? Probably everyone but I'm feeling secure on 9mm anyway

Still can't find much 38 or 357
Yeah I have little 38/357. But should probably sell those guns as I never shoot them anyway. On the important stuff to feed the machineguns I bought in quantity back in the days when it was cheaper. This was my "stash" when I moved a few years back.

Appreciate 10
paquet629.50
DrFerry6725.50
tcphoto3519.00
Dang3r12508.50
scostu1621.00
      05-28-2022, 07:56 AM   #6040
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara View Post
Not sure what the requirements are in CA for a CCW. Again, I can only speak to Louisiana. I had to sign two HIPAAs for Louisiana to request my medical records to approve me for a concealed permit. I signed those with zero hesitation. I’m all for it. If required to see a psychologist, sure. I think that’s great, but Louisiana didn’t require that for me.

As far as the ramifications go, I think about it daily. Car jackings in NOLA are insane. Recently here a woman’s arm was severed in a car jacking attempt and she died on scene. Louisiana has a “shoot the car jacker” law, which protects the victim (as it should). Louisiana is a stand your ground state with no duty to retreat. I have USCCA insurance. I hope to never have to pull the trigger, but in the event I fear for my life, or my child’s, etc., I will pull it.

Again, I don’t have all the answers. I just hope anyone who is able to purchase a gun is physically and mentally capable of being a responsible gun owner. Easier said than done, I just hope some changes are made
I'd just like to point out your having USCCA insurance - as a 'hey it already exists' to those who say 'gun owners should have insurance'

Florida is a stand your ground state as well - and like you, I hope never to have to exercise it. But God forbid, should that time come..

That incident you speak of - was that the carjacker who died on the scene?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 09:32 AM   #6041
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: A car

Quote:
I'd just like to point out your having USCCA insurance - as a 'hey it already exists' to those who say 'gun owners should have insurance'

Florida is a stand your ground state as well - and like you, I hope never to have to exercise it. But God forbid, should that time come..

That incident you speak of - was that the carjacker who died on the scene?
No, it was the victim. Her arm was caught as she tried to get out of the car, the car jackers drove off and the force caused her arm to be severed from her body. This happened in broad day light, in a populated part of the city. Absolutely disgusting. Her name was Linda Frickey. There are many news articles regarding this incident.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 08:12 AM   #6042
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

That's just awful. It's unacceptable.

To try and stay on topic, 9 mil pricing seems to be trending downward - below 30 cpr finally.
Been thinking about getting another 9.
That new Beretta APX keeps teasing me - especially at the low sub-400 price. Never had a striker fired handgun before - no CCW here, so 3-day wait in FL
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 10:58 AM   #6043
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
That's just awful. It's unacceptable.

To try and stay on topic, 9 mil pricing seems to be trending downward - below 30 cpr finally.
Been thinking about getting another 9.
That new Beretta APX keeps teasing me - especially at the low sub-400 price. Never had a striker fired handgun before - no CCW here, so 3-day wait in FL
Speaking of 9mm……

….As many here know, I build AR's for many of my friends and co-workers. I have built a zillion .223/5.56/300 BLK AR's, but this is the first AR9 I've built. It turned out well based on the specs/parts list he provided. For this particular build he already had a lower designed for .223/5.56/300 BLK, so I had to use the Stern Defense adapter to convert it for 9mm use. I also removed the weight from the 9mm BCG so the Law Tactical folder could be used.
Attached Images

Appreciate 11
Dpc2u11503.00
paquet629.50
Dang3r12508.50
DrFerry6725.50
scostu1621.00
jmack548.50
      05-29-2022, 01:42 PM   #6044
Pablo Chacon
Mexico
Rep

Drives: ///M320i and X5

Quote:
Speaking of 9mm……

….As many here know, I build AR's for many of my friends and co-workers. I have built a zillion .223/5.56/300 BLK AR's, but this is the first AR9 I've built. It turned out well based on the specs/parts list he provided. For this particular build he already had a lower designed for .223/5.56/300 BLK, so I had to use the Stern Defense adapter to convert it for 9mm use. I also removed the weight from the 9mm BCG so the Law Tactical folder could be used.
Beautiful
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24973.00
      05-29-2022, 03:23 PM   #6045
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
Speaking of 9mm……

That seems like it would violate a bunch of California laws. What am I missing?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 05:38 PM   #6046
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post
Quote:
Speaking of 9mm……

That seems like it would violate a bunch of California laws. What am I missing?
Why would it violate any laws? They purchase their stripped lower receiver(s) legally at an FFL (…and wait the 10-day period or get a letter from their respective Captain(s) to negate the waiting period) and give them to me to build the actual rifle. There's no violation of law. It's no different than a gun shop employee building the gun for you. I can build them a higher quality product for less than a gun shop will charge.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6725.50
      05-29-2022, 05:59 PM   #6047
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I like it - makes me think of an MP5 somehow.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24973.00
DrFerry6725.50
      05-29-2022, 06:00 PM   #6048
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
I like it - makes me think of an MP5 somehow.
That's exactly what he envisioned. Our SEB teams carry the MP5.
Appreciate 3
paquet629.50
DrFerry6725.50
      05-30-2022, 02:44 AM   #6049
boba-fett
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
Ask the citizens of Australia or Cuba that question. I'm sure you'd get a mouthful. The second amendment was written for BOTH foreign AND domestic invaders (…which could be an assault from your own government).

If it was not an owner with his gun, that walked into that school and shot and killed all those innocent children, what was it then?
Appreciate 2
      05-30-2022, 02:53 AM   #6050
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boba-fett View Post
Quote:
Ask the citizens of Australia or Cuba that question. I'm sure you'd get a mouthful. The second amendment was written for BOTH foreign AND domestic invaders (…which could be an assault from your own government).

If it was not an owner with his gun, that walked into that school and shot and killed all those innocent children, what was it then?
A mentally unstable person with a weapon who was going to do harm to a person or group of people regardless. It's no different than the person/people who drive(s) their car(s) through parades, outdoor food markets, etc. with the sole intent on injuring or killing people. No guns? Use a sword. No guns? Use a knife. No guns? Use a improvised explosive device. No guns? Use a vehicle. No guns?…..get the point?
Appreciate 10
vreihen1615137.50
jzmundy991.00
DrFerry6725.50
Suds1597.00
scostu1621.00
JustinHEMI7441.00