New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

Closed Thread

12-20-2022, 12:27 PM   #1
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: Porsche 993

F1 Drivers barred from making political statements.

I think this is a good idea, I'm so sick of celebs/athletes etc offering up political views constantly. The job is to entertain, not abuse the great big soap box that's available to you.

https://torontosun.com/sports/auto-r...nless-approved
Appreciate 10
      12-20-2022, 12:56 PM   #2
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 sDrive35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
I think this is a good idea, I'm so sick of celebs/athletes etc offering up political views constantly. The job is to entertain, not abuse the great big soap box that's available to you.
Entertainment isn’t done in a vacuum. Entertainment is tied with everything else. Athletes have feelings, experiences, they sense what’s going on. This is yet another move by the dominant class to keep the lesser classes without a voice. Shame on F1.
Appreciate 9
gatorfast4969.00
peelerec927.50
jkoral1016.00
MCouper24.00
Entropy89196.00
GuyOh1064.00
      12-20-2022, 01:06 PM   #3
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 718 Cayman

Well this is sad. Agree or disagree, athletes are people with an opinion just like anyone else and I don’t see a reason they should not be allowed to use their fame and platform to speak about issues of importance to them.
Appreciate 5
DrFerry6722.50
MCouper24.00
Entropy89196.00
      12-20-2022, 01:10 PM   #4
Tuxedo
Bowties r cool ▶:◀
United_States
Rep

Drives: 09' 128i MT e88, 24'G05 X5 50e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcoose View Post
Entertainment isn’t done in a vacuum. Entertainment is tied with everything else. Athletes have feelings, experiences, they sense what’s going on. This is yet another move by the dominant class to keep the lesser classes without a voice. Shame on F1.
identify the "dominant class" and "lesser classes" here, as Youtube as far as I can tell everyone with a smartphone, internet connection has a voice. The dominant class is against antisemitic statements even when that comment is from a prominent member of entertainment- some(I) would say a very big member of the dominant class, far more dominant voice than I(we) have.
Appreciate 2
NickyC17347.50
      12-20-2022, 01:12 PM   #5
hihowareyougood
Private
Rep

Drives: F87 M2 LCI

Ah yes, another thread that will certainly remain civil and respectful.

I certainly see some reasoning for appropriate attire during race days (although may not necessarily agree), but what about outside of F1 events? Does this mean that drivers now need prior authorization to post on their own social media accounts, like Instagram and Twitter? Is it considered a political statement to attend rallies or volunteer for, say, soup kitchens that assist under-served communities?

Practically speaking, it just sounds like the Saudis are pissed that Hamilton and Vettel are pro-LGBT and want the drivers to stfu lol
      12-20-2022, 03:29 PM   #6
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

If the drivers felt some kind of way about certain issues and would like to make a stand
They'd still speak their minds and support the issue
Even if it means being fined, losing sponsors and or their jobs
That's what the real activists did , fighting actual oppression
I have a wee feeling that they don't really give a rat's bum about any of the issues and just wanted woke brownie points
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2022, 03:44 PM   #7
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hihowareyougood View Post
I certainly see some reasoning for appropriate attire during race days (although may not necessarily agree), but what about outside of F1 events? Does this mean that drivers now need prior authorization to post on their own social media accounts, like Instagram and Twitter? Is it considered a political statement to attend rallies or volunteer for, say, soup kitchens that assist under-served communities?
This only pertains to statements made during race weekends.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2022, 04:01 PM   #8
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
OK, but is their opinion more important than yours or mine? Should their fame make their opinion more important? I don't think so, if they want to make a change quit the sport and go into politics, other than that I don't care about their opinion, and frankly I think it drives a lot of people away from them, not just F1. I am so sick of attending a concert only to be lectured by the performer about their view on the world. Even if I happen to agree with them, that's not what I'm paying for.
Appreciate 3
3798j11168.50
Dino GT35121.00
Joachim317.50
      12-20-2022, 05:33 PM   #9
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep

Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post

https://torontosun.com/sports/auto-r...nless-approved
So does this mean no more kneeling or establishment narrative virtue signaling then in F1?

https://news.sky.com/story/lewis-ham...n-him-12021797
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 2
M5Rick58897.50
      12-20-2022, 05:35 PM   #10
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry View Post
So does this mean no more kneeling or establishment narrative virtue signaling then in F1?

https://news.sky.com/story/lewis-ham...n-him-12021797
I hope so.
Appreciate 6
DrFerry6722.50
NickyC17347.50
M5Rick58897.50
Joachim317.50
      12-20-2022, 06:21 PM   #11
IsleOfMs
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry View Post
I think it's nice to be able to enjoy sporting events without being dragged into the drama of a polarized world.

Reminds me of going to a cafe to order lunch and the girl making my sandwich was wearing a Let's Go Brandon shirt. I thanked her for the sandwich and then told her to go Let's herself.

Personally I'd like to eat lunch or watch a race and be able to assume all the people around me are decent human beings (though obviously not all of them will be).

Would this no-politics rule apply to End Racism shirts? I guess it depends on if racism is a political stance. If it ever became obvious that my political party was pro racism I'd have to seriously consider reevaluating my priorities.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 07:51 PM   #12
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwspice View Post
I think it's nice to be able to enjoy sporting events without being dragged into the drama of a polarized world.

Reminds me of going to a cafe to order lunch and the girl making my sandwich was wearing a Let's Go Brandon shirt. I thanked her for the sandwich and then told her to go Let's herself.

Personally I'd like to eat lunch or watch a race and be able to assume all the people around me are decent human beings (though obviously not all of them will be).

Would this no-politics rule apply to End Racism shirts? I guess it depends on if racism is a political stance. If it ever became obvious that my political party was pro racism I'd have to seriously consider reevaluating my priorities.
I have no problem with folks expressing a political position as long as every political position is ok, and that is where the problem arises. Some positions seem to be ok but others are not. So why don't we all keep our politics to ourselves unless we are asked.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick58897.50
      12-20-2022, 08:04 PM   #13
Artemis
Rep

Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
This is yet another move by the dominant class to keep the lesser classes without a voice. Shame on F1.
I respect you and can state that personally I do care about (in)justice. But whether it's you, me or any other forum member: no matter who you are, please no politics or politicizing on Bimmerpost: see here.

FWIW: excerpt from the referenced article:
"The FIA added a new clause regarding “the general making and display of political, religious and personal statements or comments notably in violation of the general principle of neutrality promoted by the FIA under its statutes.” (...)
An FIA spokesman said the update was “in alignment with the political neutrality of sport” as enshrined in the International Olympic Committee code of ethics."
      12-20-2022, 08:10 PM   #14
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

I think it's a good thing to ban such things during the race or while they're on the paddock.
Those are work enviroments, and the drivers are at that moment at work. They are getting paid.

It's like when I'm shopping in the supermarket, or at the bank, I also don't want the employees out their political views when I'm paying the bill, as much as I might agree with the views.
When I'm at work (back in the day I used to work for a boss), or when I'm now at customers, I also don't make political or social statements by way of dressing or ortherwise. I'm there to do the job I'm paid to do.

What F1 drivers do outside F1, so outside the track limits, I couldn't care less and I endorse them to persue their political intrests and social opinions like I do with everyone.
However, athletes are usually terrible at the social or political discussion. There usually is a reason they became athletes and not politicians (or investigative journalists etc). But that usually only shows when the questions become a bit more difficult.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 3
      12-20-2022, 10:43 PM   #15
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I respect you and can state that personally I do care about (in)justice. But whether it's you, me or any other forum member: no matter who you are, please no politics or politicizing on Bimmerpost: see here.
It’s a car forum, so the pun is befitting: you have a blind spot. A driver may want to use his platform to draw attention to important issues, like the underpayment of women in the sport. There’s no politics there. Women of all walks of life are generally underpaid for exactly the same work. All team principals and all the F1, FIA, and Liberty Media brass are men. That’s the dominant class. And the lesser class was robbed of another venue to be represented.

It takes practice to see these things.
Appreciate 1
gatorfast4969.00
      12-20-2022, 11:00 PM   #16
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Good, enough with the shit politics in every single thing that we eat/breathe/and sleep.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2022, 11:21 PM   #17
Artemis
Rep

Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
It’s a car forum, so the pun is befitting: you have a blind spot. A driver may want to use his platform to draw attention to important issues, like the underpayment of women in the sport. There’s no politics there. Women of all walks of life are generally underpaid for exactly the same work. All team principals and all the F1, FIA, and Liberty Media brass are men. That’s the dominant class. And the lesser class was robbed of another venue to be represented.

It takes practice to see these things.
Not going to take the bait, Marcoose.

Read again my comment and especially the referenced "no politics" explanation of September 2020. There are sound reasons why Bimmerpost decided to remove the complete "Politics & Religion" section.

Discussions heading to 'Toxic Town': it takes practice to anticipate these things and to pre-emptively neutralize these.
      12-20-2022, 11:34 PM   #18
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: BMW

This is not the first company or organization to ban politics at the workplace. Don't see why celebrity drivers would get special treatment or leniency in this area. They have plenty of free time to do as they wish.
Appreciate 2
NickyC17347.50
      12-20-2022, 11:39 PM   #19
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Not going to take the bait, Marcoose.

Read again my comment and especially the referenced "no politics" explanation of September 2020. There are sound reasons why Bimmerpost decided to remove the complete "Politics & Religion" section.

Discussions heading to 'Toxic Town': it takes practice to anticipate these things and to pre-emptively neutralize these.
Then it may be better to close the thread. The title alone is baiting. That’s all I have to say.
Appreciate 2
Closed Thread