New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

10-04-2021, 05:19 AM   #1
leobc20
Registered
Rep

Drives: BMW 1 Series 2012 - 116i

Overheating warning after driving through standing water

Hi all,

Hoping someone might be able to help, have exhausted searching elsewhere.

BMW 1 series, 2012, 1.6 twin turbo petrol, c.45k miles bought 2nd hand about 12 months ago, drives like a dream and never has any issues, usually.

However, in conditions when there is a lot of standing water around and heavy rain I get pinged with the yellow engine temp warning and then red engine temp warning almost immediately after having to traverse a relatively deep puddle (10/20cms or so)... as far as I can tell the engine isn't actually overheating, after 30 seconds or so the warnings drop back from red to yellow and then disappear. As soon as I hit the next bit of standing water, the same thing happens.

No issues at all in moderately wet or other contiditions i.e. drove from Hampshire to lake district and back a week ago with no issues, similar length drives regularly and locally with no issues either...

Must be something like water causing issues with a sensor or something similar, but completely stumped and want to try and avoid a costly trip to the garage where they find nothing wrong... any one had the same issues, or any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 05:59 AM   #2
No one
Major
Rep

Drives: F21 118i

Hi.

See the manual, page 133, "Wading". Your depth estimation looks fine, just mind your speed, perhaps.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 02:45 AM   #3
leobc20
Registered
Rep

Drives: BMW 1 Series 2012 - 116i

Thanks v much for highlighting that... I'll go slow next time and see what happens... dry the last couple of days and no repeat of the issue... very odd.
Appreciate 0