Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-07-2007, 10:31 AM   #221
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
1230
Rep
5,366
Posts

 
Drives: *
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

ANT COMMUNICATION

The Qur'an indicates, when recounting Prophet Sulayman's (as) life, that ants have a communication system:

Then, when they reached the Valley of the Ants, an ant said: "Ants! Enter your dwellings, so that Sulayman and his troops do not crush you unwittingly."
(Qur'an, 27: 18)


Scientific research into ants has revealed that these tiny animals have very organised social lives and that, as a requirement of that organisation, they also have a very complex communication network. For example, National Geographic reports that:

Huge and tiny, an ant carries in her head multiple sensory organs to pick up chemical and visual signals vital to colonies that may contain a million or more workers, all of which are female. The brain contains half a million nerve cells; eyes are compound; antennae act as nose and fingertips. Projections below the mouth sense taste; hairs respond to touch.

Even if we are not aware of it, ants use a variety of methods to communicate, thanks to their very sensitive sensory organs. They use these organs at all times, from finding prey to following one another, and from building their nests to waging war. With 500,000 nerve cells squeezed into their 2-3 mm bodies, they possess a communications system that astonishes human beings.

The reactions in their communications have been divided into several specific categories: alarm, recruitment, grooming, exchange of oral and anal liquid, group effect, recognition, caste determination…160 Ants, which establish an ordered society by means of these reactions, live a life based on the mutual exchange of information. To bring about this exchange, they sometimes exhibit more flawless communication in areas that human beings often cannot resolve through speech, such as coming together, sharing, cleaning, and defence.

Ants mainly communicate on the chemical level. These semiochemicals, known as pheromones, are chemical compounds that are perceived by smell and secreted by internal glands. In addition, they play the most important role in organising ant societies. When an ant secretes a pheromone, the other ants receive it by means of smell or taste and duly respond. Research into ant pheromones has revealed that all signals are emitted according to the needs of the colony. Moreover, the intensity of the pheromone emitted also varies according to the urgency of the situation at hand.

As we have seen, ants require a profound knowledge of chemistry to do what they do. The fact that the Qur'an emphasized this fact 1,400 years ago, a time when there was no such knowledge about ants, is another one of its scientific miracles.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2007, 12:16 PM   #222
Max_!
First Lieutenant
3
Rep
350
Posts

 
Drives: E91
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

> what was the Higgs particle derived from? how did it come to exist?

Let's see if the Higgs particle exists first, shall we?

They're building an enormous machine, the large hadron collider, to look for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider

They're having some issues still, but it looks like we'll know in the next few years.

Anyways - it doesn't make sense to dwell on the origin of a particle that hasn't been observed.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2007, 02:13 PM   #223
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
1230
Rep
5,366
Posts

 
Drives: *
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

They're building an enormous machine, the large hadron collider, to look for it.

Interesting. But supposing they did know the origin of the particle, I'd still have the question: "What was before that?"
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2007, 12:31 AM   #224
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
7900
Rep
7,433
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Um, but if I watch a bunch of ants crawling around on the ground near their hole, I can tell they communicate. I don't know that they use pheremone (OK, I really do from watching Mutaul of Omaha/Animal Planet) as their communication, but it's pretty obvious they "talk" Go find an ant hill. Throw a piece of meat near it and watch them SWARM all over it. Then later get a bucket of water and toss it on there and watch them grab the eggs and run for higher ground. It's pretty certain that the eggs themseves did not get wet, yet the workers all know they have to move them out to protect the colony. Even 1400 years ago anyone with a few minutes to observe could figure out that these creature talk to each other, at least enough to say "Run away!!!"
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2007, 05:56 AM   #225
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
1230
Rep
5,366
Posts

 
Drives: *
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Even 1400 years ago anyone with a few minutes to observe could figure out that these creature talk to each other, at least enough to say "Run away!!!"

True But this is not the only example. You would have to research into Prophet Sulyman's life and teachings. Plus I think this would be classed as another assumption. Like when I was talking to Max he said that the Holy Prophet could have discovered layers in the sea by diving into the sea, or he could have observed the stars movement to say that everything in the universe is in motion, or he could have seen that comets are made of ice because of their appearance...I find it hard to believe all these "assumptions" and what about the fact that the Holy Prophet even knew there was layers in the earth, never mind 7 layers. And we both know Iron did come down to Earth
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2007, 02:29 PM   #226
Max_!
First Lieutenant
3
Rep
350
Posts

 
Drives: E91
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

> and what about the fact that the Holy Prophet even knew there was layers in the earth, never mind 7 layers.

There are thousands of layers in the earth. You can group them together to get to 7 if that happens to fit your beliefs.

Seriously, Allah chose Muhammed out of 15-20 billion humans (est total humans since the dawn of time) and when he got to talking to Muhammed, that's what he chose to reveal?

Allah supposedly tells Muhammed about embryology and iron and layers but fails to give specific details that would prove anything nor mention something simple like it's a good idea to boil water to kill germs before drinking it?

But when you don't believe in god, suddenly, all that makes sense!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2007, 03:44 PM   #227
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
1230
Rep
5,366
Posts

 
Drives: *
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

There are thousands of layers in the earth. You can group them together to get to 7 if that happens to fit your beliefs.

But how did he know there were layers in Earth at all? How did he know that Iron came down to Earth? How did he know that the Sky protects us? What about layers in the sea? and ALL the other stuff I posted?

and when he got to talking to Muhammed, that's what he chose to reveal?

Its not that simple. If Allah wants to show to people that Islam is the way of life, he has to provide proof to people. Who can tell you the most about an object? Obviously it’s creator. This is also an act of mercy from Allah, he sent 25 recorded prophets to the world (and many other unnamed ones) and also the Holy Quran as a guide and PROOF that Allah is god and Islam is the way of life. You are also forgetting the rest of the Quran. What about it’s guide as to how we should live our lives. It is a huge part of the Quran. Infact there is a chapter specifically for divorces. It outlines when it should be carried out and how it should be done…

Allah supposedly tells Muhammed about embryology and iron and layers but fails to give specific details that would prove anything nor mention something simple like it's a good idea to boil water to kill germs before drinking it?

How does it not prove anything? First of all, embryology in the Quran is completely 100% true. The fact that Iron was sent down to Earth is also true. These two pieces of information ALONE are proof that the Holy Prophet (pbuh) knew things about the universe that noone else did. This should help us trust what he says about the way we should live our lives.

Let me also ask you, is the Quran called “Hygiene” by Allah? The purpose of the Quran is to firstly prove that Allah is our god, and then to teach us how to live our lives. The Quran is not just specifically about “hygiene” but it does outline various methods of practising good hygiene. You were the one that told me about a verse in the Quran that dealt with sorting laundry. Look:

“You know, I'm sure there is a verse in Quran that can be interpreted as to speak of sorting laundry properly before washing…”

Is sorting laundry not something "simple" ?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2007, 03:52 PM   #228
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
smellthebeans's Avatar
United_States
49
Rep
1,572
Posts

 
Drives: LPCs
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tide Water Region

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
You are also forgetting the rest of the Quran. What about it’s guide as to how we should live our lives. It is a huge part of the Quran. Infact there is a chapter specifically for divorces. It outlines when it should be carried out and how it should be done…
I DIVORCE I DIVORCE I DIVORCE!

If only it were that easy in the West!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2007, 04:02 PM   #229
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
1230
Rep
5,366
Posts

 
Drives: *
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellthebeans View Post
I DIVORCE I DIVORCE I DIVORCE!

If only it were that easy in the West!
lol, it's not that simple. You see Islam tries to prevent divorce in many ways...

Firstly, Islam guides us on how to get married to prevent failures of marriages in the first place! The Holy Prophet in his Hadiths and the Quran then guide on how to keep our marriage healthy and strong. I mean, look at this video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...ays&time=45000

It alone covers 60 ways that the Quran and Hadiths tell us how to keep our wife happy...

Therefore, saying "I will divorce you" 3 times is not the way to look at the concept of divorces in Islam. You must look at the whole system and way of life Islam creates for us. You must study what Islam tells us about male/female relations, how to choose a suitable partner for marriage, how to keep your marriage strong, etc...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2007, 07:15 PM   #230
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
7900
Rep
7,433
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

You want to see layers in the Earth, go to any fault line, mountain, or river-cut valley and see the layers. Not that difficult to just observe. The quran may have lots of good guidelines on how to live one's life, but that does not yet make it necessarily divine in source.

Nearly everything attributed to divine communication from Allah is divine in that it exists, but is there for the divine in all of us to observe.

No, I have no first-hand nor scientific proof that Jesus was actually dead when placed in the grave, nor that he descended to hell and then was raised from the dead on the 3rd day, and later ascended directly to heaven. I don't try to prove it, other than to live my life with that truth in my heart. I "bring" my faith to them by my actions and what they can see it does to enrich my life.

As always,
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2007, 07:37 PM   #231
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
1230
Rep
5,366
Posts

 
Drives: *
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

You want to see layers in the Earth, go to any fault line, mountain, or river-cut valley and see the layers.

Bro, I really do see your point. But I feel it is just another assumption. We have to assume that our Holy Prophet observed this too? And what about the fact that Iron was sent down? And what about the sky’s protection? What about all the other documents I posted?

I don't try to prove it, other than to live my life with that truth in my heart.

I know exactly what you mean! Perhaps that’s where we are different though. I have been muslims since I was born, but I researched Islam and the Quran etc. I find it amazing that there is not even one scientific error in the Quran at all. In my opinion, if a religion is the right way of life, then God would prove it. Allah has proven Islam to be the true path. Regarding Christianity, I really find it hard to believe and I find a lot of it to be wrong. That’s just my opinion though, and I say it with respect too! I respect everyone’s beliefs! Would you like to hear what my concerns about Christianity are?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2007, 07:47 PM   #232
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
7900
Rep
7,433
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Should we start a new Chritianity bashing thread instead?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2007, 07:56 PM   #233
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
1230
Rep
5,366
Posts

 
Drives: *
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Should we start a new Chritianity bashing thread instead?
Bro, I dont mean to sound like I dont value other people's religions. I do. Otherwise I wouldnt take any interest, but infact I do. I do really have concerns about it as I'm sure you would about Islam...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2007, 02:37 AM   #234
Max_!
First Lieutenant
3
Rep
350
Posts

 
Drives: E91
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

> But how did he know there were layers in Earth at all? How did he know that Iron came down to Earth? How did he know that the Sky protects us? What about layers in the sea? and ALL the other stuff I posted?

His neighbors knew all this too.

If they didn't, he would have been treated as a crazy man, not a prophet.

> You are also forgetting the rest of the Quran

144 verses in 23 years, that's one verse every two months. Allah must speak slowly.

> First of all, embryology in the Quran is completely 100% true.

What it says in the Quran is not what you make it out to be. You're reading things into it that aren't there.

The Quran is 100% in line with what people mistakingly believed in those days.

> The purpose of the Quran is to firstly prove that Allah is our god

Which it fails to do unless you make al leap of faith, 'interpret' it and ignore all the inconsistencies.

> and then to teach us how to live our lives.

I don't need a god to tell me how to live my life. I'm doing just fine without one.

> Should we start a new Chritianity bashing thread instead?

Nah, they're doing fine bashing themselves.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2007, 06:46 AM   #235
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
1230
Rep
5,366
Posts

 
Drives: *
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

If they didn't, he would have been treated as a crazy man, not a prophet.

Some people did treat him as crazy and rejected him. Some people just rejected him out of spite though. Like the Jews for example. When Prophet Musa (pbuh) [Moses] told the Jews about the Holy Prophet’s coming, he gave them details such as he would be born in Arabia. The Jews then thought if they go to Arabia the Holy Prophet would be born into their progeny. However, Allah chose to make the Holy Prophet an Arab. When the Holy Prophet was born the Jews knew fine well who he was, but they rejected him out of spite because they wanted him to be born from their progeny! This is all in the Quran.

However, there are other people whose hearts are sealed. Bro, you already said your heart is sealed. I know it is because you said you don’t want to worship any god, and you speak of all the unforgivable sins you have committed. I have shown you lots of verses and you said they are vague. You then asked for information that our Holy Prophet simply could not have known. I have shown you about the layers in the Earth, the protection of the Sky and the fact that Iron has been sent down. Allah says in the Quran that their hearts are sealed and they cannot understand. He also says they reject the signs. I just hope one day you’re heart opens to the truth…

144 verses in 23 years, that's one verse every two months. Allah must speak slowly.

See my next post

What it says in the Quran is not what you make it out to be. You're reading things into it that aren't there.

I find it hard to believe that it is just a mere coincidence that if you translate the Quran’s account of embryology in a certain way that you arrive at something which MODERN science is in total agreement with. I mean the unbeliever’s say “when you translate it this way, the Quran is wrong”. How do we know they are translating it the proper way? If you translate the Quran in another way you arrive at something which is 100% scientifically correct. I find it hard to believe this is just a coincidence.

Which it fails to do unless you make al leap of faith, 'interpret' it and ignore all the inconsistencies.

The Quran is 100% correct. There are no errors within the text.

I don't need a god to tell me how to live my life. I'm doing just fine without one.

Bro your heart is closed. Look, if we are here for a reason, wouldn’t you like to know the reason? If we are here for a purpose, wouldn’t you like to know that purpose?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2007, 06:49 AM   #236
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
1230
Rep
5,366
Posts

 
Drives: *
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Before I answer this question, let's note that if the Qur'an had been revealed all at once, people would ask: "Why was it sent down all at once and not in stages?" The ultimate answer to such questions lies with God, the All-Wise and All-Knowing. Our decisions are based on a very limited viewpoint, as we are limited creatures. The Divine Decree, on the other hand, considers everything—our moral and spiritual well-being, worldly happiness, future and present—and weaves the whole into a single pattern that is coherent with Grace and Wisdom. Thus, the benefit we derive from the Divine commandments is immeasurable, and the blessing that flows from obeying them is beyond our imagination. And so it is with the method that God chose to reveal the Qur'an.

The Revelation began when it was time for humanity to reach maturity. The Prophet's mission and that of his community was to become the most complete, progressive, and dynamic exemplars for humanity, and to achieve such a level of advancement that they would be the masters and guides for all subsequent people. But these reformers first had to be reformed. Their qualities and characters had been conditioned by the surrounding non-Islamic environment in which their people had been living for centuries. Islam was to turn their good qualities into qualities of unsurpassed excellence, and to purge their bad qualities and habits in such a way that they would never reappear.

If the Qur'an had been revealed all at once, how would they have reacted to its prohibitions and commandments? Certainly, they would have been unable to understand, let alone accept and apply, them in the ideal manner. This lack of gradualism would have been self-defeating, as proven by history: Wherever Islam was taken, it spread gradually but steadily, and so became firmly established.

We see people all around us who cannot free themselves from their bad habits and addictions. If you confined such people, even if you convinced them to abandon their habits for their own benefit, they would not be happy with you. On the contrary, they would feel angry, bored, and irritated. They would complain and try to escape from your program of reform, so that they could revert to their habits as soon as possible. All the arguments and documented evidence of specialists and experts would not persuade them to change. Even those who were cured occasionally suffer a relapse. Indeed, some of those who campaign against such harmful habits as smoking and consuming alcohol still indulge in them!

Remember that the Qur'an came to change not one or two habits; it came to change everything: ways of living and dying, marrying, buying and selling, settling disputes, and how to perceive one's relation with the Creator, among others. Given the scope of the change envisioned, we can begin to grasp why it was revealed in stages.

The gradual revelation of the Qur'an prepared the people to accept and then live the virtues, excellent manners, and lofty aspirations it demanded. That so much was achieved in only 23 years is a miracle. As Said Nursi said: "I wonder if the scholars of today went to the Arabian peninsula, could they accomplish in 100 years even 1 percent of what the Prophet accomplished in 1 year?" Current campaigns to eradicate such a peripheral vice as smoking employ famous scholars, individuals, institutions, and the whole network of mass media—yet they still result in overall failure. If 20 fewer people die on the road per year after a campaign against alcohol, it is considered a great success. What the Prophet accomplished, at God's bidding, over 23 years far surpasses what all of humanity has managed to achieve since that time.

The Qur'an was revealed in stages so that its audience could understand, internalize, and apply its prohibitions, commands, and reforms. Revelation came when the need for guidance arose, without discouraging or grinding down morale: warning and condemnation preceded prohibition, appeal and exhortation preceded command. For instance, alcohol and other intoxicating drinks were prohibited in three or four stages; female infanticide in two stages; uniting warring tribes and building up a close-knit society based on brotherhood, thus raising the collective consciousness, in several stages. These difficult reforms were not gestured at or expressed in slogans—they were achieved.

Today, we design our projects according to past experience and future possibilities. Taking possible social and economic fluctuations into account, we make our plans flexible in order to leave room for any necessary modifications. Just like a young tree, the early Muslims grew slowly, adapting gradually to new conditions and thus developing naturally. Every day new people were coming into Islam. New Muslims were learning many things, gaining in Islamic consciousness, training themselves to act upon Islam, and thus becoming members of a society rather than separate individuals or mutually hostile clans. Their characters and personalities, their whole lives, were reshaped and reordered in accordance with Islamic precepts and the Qur'anic guidance.

Such was the magnitude of their spiritual, moral, intellectual, and even physical regeneration. This transformation was achieved through a balanced synthesis of worldly life and spiritual advancement, and it happened gradually, slowly yet continuously, and harmoniously.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2007, 08:48 AM   #237
Max_!
First Lieutenant
3
Rep
350
Posts

 
Drives: E91
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

> if you translate the Quran’s account of embryology in a certain way that you arrive at something which MODERN science is in total agreement with.

And if you translate it another way, you get a recipe for mayonaise.

That's twisted. You can make any religion real that way. You can even do that to the bible - it too has prophecies and scientific knowledge they couldn't possibly have in those days. Do a search in google, there's thousands of christian sites claiming just that.

It's very likely Muhammed got his medical knowledge from Harith Ibn Kalada, a close companion of Muhammed who received his education in the medical sciences at the great medical school of Jundi-Shapur thus intimately acquainted with the medical teachings of Aristotle, Hippocrates and Galen.

It says blood blot / clotted blood-like and - in historic context - it's quite clear that's exactly what Muhammed meant it to say because that's what everyone in those days believed it to be.

In addition, there are Hadiths that confirm Muhammed said blood-clot:

Abdullah (b. Mas'ud) reported that Allah's Messenger ... said: "Verily your creation is on this wise. The constituents of one of you are collected for forty days in his mother's womb in the form of sperm, after which it becomes a clot of blood in another period of forty days. Then it becomes a lump of flesh and forty days later Allah sends his angel to it ...

(Sperm can't survive more than 6-7 days, btw, so he was wrong there)

The Jewish Talmud says that the embryo has *six* stages of development. Samuel ha-Yehudi was a 2nd century Jewish physician (400 years before Muhammed), and one of many with an interest in embryology. The embryo was called peri habbetten (fruit of the body) and develops as:

golem (formless, rolled-up thing);
shefir meruqqam (embroidered foetus - shefir means amniotic sac);
'ubbar (something carried);
v'alad (child);
v'alad shel qayama (noble or viable child) and
ben she-kallu chadashav (child whose months have been completed).

Which is more accurate then the description in the Quran.

It's clear that people in those days had a pretty good idea (though not quite accurate) of what was going on and did not need divine whisperings. Hell, Cleopatra ripped open the bellies of dozens of slave girls to see what was happening inside - you can be sure people knew about pregnancy.

Really, you would have still said blood clot and bite-size piece of flesh if not for some doctor in 1982 trying to sell some books.

> you already said your heart is sealed.

Yeah, well, I was exaggerating. I knew that statement was coming anyway because that's the standard religious reply to the difficult questions. (That, and: god's ways are mysterious)

My heart is open but what you say and what's written are two very different things and the fact that you seem fine with that scares me rather than makes me want to believe what you believe.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2007, 09:48 AM   #238
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
1230
Rep
5,366
Posts

 
Drives: *
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Abdullah (b. Mas'ud) reported that Allah's Messenger ... said: "Verily your creation is on this wise. The constituents of one of you are collected for forty days in his mother's womb in the form of sperm, after which it becomes a clot of blood in another period of forty days. Then it becomes a lump of flesh and forty days later Allah sends his angel to it ...

I have already spoke about hadiths. That Hadith is not true because no hadiths would contradict the Quran. If they do, then there has been mistake in the recording of it OR when it has been transmitted through time, people have changed the wording etc.

The Jewish Talmud says that the embryo has *six* stages of development. Samuel ha-Yehudi was a 2nd century Jewish physician (400 years before Muhammed), and one of many with an interest in embryology. The embryo was called peri habbetten (fruit of the body) and develops…

This has been covered in the website:

Muslim Response

The Quran has not included the words ‘divers’ in the verse-that is once more the critic’s helpful (!) interpretation. The Quran has simply said that human beings develop in stages-nobody can question that! The Quran is very clear that life begins after the development of bones and muscles occurs-i.e. At the beginning of the foetal stage of development, this knowledge might not yet be known to all humans, but it was known to God who included it in the divine scripture fourteen centuries ago. The verse has not been ‘made a nonsense of’ but rather the critic has made nonsense of himself by raising such a petty and absurd point.

My heart is open but what you say and what's written are two very different things and the fact that you seem fine with that scares me rather than makes me want to believe what you believe.

You haven’t answered everything though. What about the Iron? And what about the sky’s protection?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2007, 09:51 AM   #239
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
1230
Rep
5,366
Posts

 
Drives: *
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

From a muslim perspective, here is the conclusion when analysing claims that embryology in the Quran is incorrect:

His entire argument rests on his personal interpretations on of the meanings of key words such as alaqa, nutfah etc. If one uses alternative translations that are equally valid in the Arabic language his entire critique falls apart completely.

If there is similarity between sources it does not always indicate that borrowing has occurred. The critic makes this flawed assumption. This is not relevant to the Quran; in any case since there is little similarity -if there is any at all- between its embryological descriptions and those of others.

He does not provide full references, and uses his half-baked references to give an incorrect or incomplete idea of the sources he is using.

Most of his criticisms lack logic, integrity and even sincerity.

Thus, it is clear that the critic’s attempt has fallen flat on its face. Despite a very elaborate effort, his article has proven to be lacking substance in numerous instances. The Quran has once again emerged victorious and its enemies have once again been proven wrong:
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2007, 09:58 AM   #240
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
1230
Rep
5,366
Posts

 
Drives: *
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

And this is the response for the poor translations of the Quran:

The word "alaqah" refers to a leech or bloodsucker. This is an appropriate description of the human embryo from days 7-24 when it clings to the endometrium of the uterus, in the same way that a leech clings to the skin. Just as the leech derives blood from the host, the human embryo derives blood from the decidua or pregnant endometrium. It is remarkable how much the embryo of 23-24 days resembles a leech (Fig. 2). As there were no microscopes or lenses available in the 7th century, doctors would not have known that the human embryo had this leech-like appearance. In the early part of the fourth week, the embryo is just visible to the unaided eye because it is smaller than a kernel of wheat.

The root word from which this word is derived is the word "Aa-la-qa." It has the general meaning of "to hang" or "to cling." By employing various grammatical manipulations on this word we come up with the aforementioned 160 derivations each of which is closely associated with the concept of "clinging or hanging." For example, one derivation has the general meaning of "devotion" (to cling to with love), another has the general meaning of "hanger" (to hang up clothes), a third conveys the meaning of "dowry" (the money paid to the woman in order to cause the couple to "cling together" in marriage), a fourth form of this word has the general meaning of "lust" (to cling to something with desire and lust), a fifth form has the general meaning of "to ensnare" (an animal gets hung up in a net), a sixth form has the general meaning of "to cling to by your nails," etc.
Muslims were presented with a book from God which told them that "He (God) created humanity from an Alaq." Those who read this verse "interpreted" it based upon the meaning they felt most appropriate. Humans have blood in them so the verse must mean "blood clot." How could a person be created from worms, they reasoned? However, the verse remained in Arabic and the text retained its dual meaning despite how humanity had tried to understand the meaning. When some people chose to translate the meanings of the Qur'an into English they were faced with a situation where they had to chose one or the other. Unlike the original Arabic, the English language would not allow for a dual meaning. Thus, the translators looked at both meanings, "clump of blood," and "leech" and tried to reason, "Which one appears to my intellect to be the intended meaning, for humans to have been created from a blood clot or for them to have been created from leeches?" Obviously, just as humans would have a hard time imagining "bugs" flying around in their software, so too did they have a hard time imagining "leeches" transmuting into humans, so the verse was translated as "blood clot."
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2007, 03:13 PM   #241
Max_!
First Lieutenant
3
Rep
350
Posts

 
Drives: E91
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

> His entire argument rests on his personal interpretations on of the meanings of key words such as alaqa, nutfah etc.

I'm sorry, this isn't my interpretation: up until 1982, everyone, including all muslims everywhere, including the most learned scolars, believed it said blood clot and all of a sudden that translation is wrong and it's supposed to be translated as leech - which is still not an accurate description of an embryo and still not amazing proof since Muhammed was hanging out with his good friend doctor Harith Ibn Kalada a lot.

> The Quran has simply said that human beings develop in stages-nobody can question that!

But I can: development is clearly continuous from the moment of conception - there are no distinct phases. The embryo or fetus doesn't stop to pupate or anything.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2007, 03:46 PM   #242
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
1230
Rep
5,366
Posts

 
Drives: *
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I'm sorry, this isn't my interpretation: up until 1982, everyone, including all muslims everywhere, including the most learned scolars, believed it said blood clot and all of a sudden that translation is wrong and it's supposed to be translated as leech - which is still not an accurate description of an embryo and still not amazing proof since Muhammed was hanging out with his good friend doctor Harith Ibn Kalada a lot.

First of all, even the most learned scholars in Islam are not embryologists. Since embryologists specialise in the field, they alone can give such information!

I believe a leech is an accurate description of the embryo . Look at the pic below.

But I can: development is clearly continuous from the moment of conception - there are no distinct phases. The embryo or fetus doesn't stop to pupate or anything.

Obviously, pregnancy is a continual process. BUT there is a distinct order in which certain things happen. First of all there is an embryo which later turns to a foetus. Then sight, hearing and feeling are gained. All of these things happen in a distinct order so, YES there are stages!

Please see my next post.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST