New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

06-09-2020, 05:16 PM   #1
M4-CPA
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 440xi coupe mSport

Dealership Disconnecting Dash-Cam During Service

I wanted to get some opinions on how individuals would feel with their dash cams getting disconnected during service? I have a standard front and back Thinkware Q800 from Bestbuy, nothing fancy - set to motion detection during parking, and to continuous mode during driving.

I had MPPSK installed yesterday, and I noticed that my camera was disconnected when I got my car back.

I’m not upset, or annoyed by it. I understand that there is no expectation of privacy when in public, so everyone is fair game - with this being a private dealership I understand that it would be their choice to disconnect my camera.

Anyone have a similar experience? Or strong feelings otherwise?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 06:58 PM   #2
gosi
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: M240

I would want them to notify me. Disconnecting it makes me want to think that they hooned my car or were generally sloppy with their work, even though that’s unlikely.
Appreciate 3
243Racing1447.50
M4-CPA63.50
XMetal1126.50
      06-09-2020, 07:00 PM   #3
msan
Major
Rep

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 / 2012 X5 35i M Sp

Whats the car's mileage at drop off and at pick up?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 07:25 PM   #4
M4-CPA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msan View Post
Whats the car's mileage at drop off and at pick up?
Ha. No change, I was sure to check.
Appreciate 1
WeryPert1104.50
      06-09-2020, 07:41 PM   #5
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

its probably more annoying than anything. imagine being at work on a job or whatever for one or two hours talking with a coworker and some stranger recording everything you talk about.
      06-09-2020, 08:10 PM   #6
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2014-320Xi / 2017-330Xi

Garage List
Mixed feeling. They should not disconnect your personal items from your car. They could put an obstacle in front of the camera lens instead of disconnecting.
However, if your cam records sound, then it is not nice that you have records of all the conversation happening around your car. Meaning the workers around your car have the right for privacy.
Kind of difficult point here.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 08:10 PM   #7
M4-CPA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
its probably more annoying than anything. imagine being at work on a job or whatever for one or two hours talking with a coworker and some stranger recording everything you talk about.
I guess I can appreciate that.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 08:19 PM   #8
M4-CPA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauloxxi View Post
Mixed feeling. They should not disconnect your personal items from your car. They could put an obstacle in front of the camera lens instead of disconnecting.
However, if your cam records sound, then it is not nice that you have records of all the conversation happening around your car. Meaning the workers around your car have the right for privacy.
It does, it's in a very conspicuous place right behind the rear view mirror.

It records on a loop and erases old stuff as new video and audio comes in. Although, I've only ran the video once when I saw a car bounce off a guard rail - other than that I forget it's there most of the time.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 10:34 PM   #9
golferboy2312
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

my dashcam was disconnected when i got my car back from the dealer as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 10:45 PM   #10
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Depends on your local and state laws as well. California is a 2 party consent state so they can disconnect the dash cam. I've seen one of the local dealerships here with a sign that says if you have a dash cam it must be powered off before being accepted for service.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 11:57 AM   #11
MurrayB
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2020 BMW M340ix

That's better than going in for an oil change and getting the car back with twenty more miles and your driving gloves stolen.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 12:11 PM   #12
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

If I was them I would tell you up front that I was going to disconnect it because the dealership employees don't want to be recorded at work. If someone came to work on my A/C or whatever at my house and I told them I was going to record them I would expect they would have a problem with it also. I wouldn't work somewhere that I had to deal with being recorded. If you don't trust me to get the work done correctly then feel free to go somewhere else. The "I trust you but want to video tape you" is pretty weak.
      06-10-2020, 01:10 PM   #13
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Drives: BMW 128i Sport (Non M)

Mines always been disconnected by the dealer which did result in me missing recording an accident right infront of me which was annoying. I work at a dealership though and understand it. The way other techs describe it is "I dont film them doing their jobs why should they film me doing mine" even though the cameras turn off right away.

But if the cars sitting for a 40 minute update with the camera recording it is kinda weird.
2008 SGM 128i - 3 Stage IM - 130i Tune - Dinan Camber Plates - BMW PE - Injen Intake - 1M Mirrors - LCI Blacklines - M4 Spoiler - Blacked 263's - Aero Bumper - Aero Side Skirts - OMGSplitter - AFE Intake Scoops
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 01:48 PM   #14
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

Drives: Not a BMW anymore

I sent my car for engine work here in Italy, and during the post-maintenance test drive the camera was plugged in and recorded everything. AFAIK, they never drove with it disconnected.

I’d be more suspicious if it was disconnected during the test drive, but I wouldn’t have proof they’d done anything wrong.
Appreciate 1
243Racing1447.50
      06-10-2020, 03:14 PM   #15
243Racing
Banned
Rep

Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauloxxi View Post
No such thing as a "right to privacy" at work. Especially when you're on the clock
Appreciate 1
M4-CPA63.50
      06-10-2020, 03:52 PM   #16
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastieBombRacing View Post
No such thing as a "right to privacy" at work. Especially when you're on the clock
Depends on whether you are talking about the law, dealerships policy, or what he thinks is the correct thing. Dealership is welcome to have a "right to privacy" policy that allows the tech to disconnect the camera. Dealership is welcome to put cameras and recording devices all over the place.

The customer has the right to go somewhere else.
      06-10-2020, 03:59 PM   #17
243Racing
Banned
Rep

Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Depends on whether you are talking about the law, dealerships policy, or what he thinks is the correct thing. Dealership is welcome to have a "right to privacy" policy that allows the tech to disconnect the camera. Dealership is welcome to put cameras and recording devices all over the place.

The customer has the right to go somewhere else.
That's not a "right", it's a privilege.
Appreciate 1
M4-CPA63.50
      06-11-2020, 11:26 AM   #18
CDirks
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2011 E91 328xi

If the camera isn't interfering with the work being done then what would the rationale be for disconnecting it? I can understand the business not wanting customer camera's rolling constantly since shop talk can be pretty vulgar, but does a customer have no choice in the matter of monitoring their vehicle during service?

A buddy of mine dropped his GTI off at his dealer for warranty work. After the warranty work was completed, the tech took it out for a 20 minute long joyride. Dashcam caught it all. Buddy showed footage to the manager, tech was fired in short order. Icing on the cake there is my friend worked for the dealer group in another department.

Not wanting shop banter on film is understandable, but more often than not that stuff gets glossed over anyways. Experiences like the above are what people care about.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 04:13 PM   #19
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosi View Post
I would want them to notify me. Disconnecting it makes me want to think that they hooned my car or were generally sloppy with their work, even though that’s unlikely.
Agreed. Had they notified me ahead of time that they were going to disconnect my dashcam prior to the work, I may have been OK with it. But the dealership didn't and said it was their policy to do so when I confronted them about it after the fact. A few exchanges with the VP of service and I basically just told them that they will no longer get my business
      06-11-2020, 05:12 PM   #20
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDirks View Post
If the camera isn't interfering with the work being done then what would the rationale be for disconnecting it? I can understand the business not wanting customer camera's rolling constantly since shop talk can be pretty vulgar, but does a customer have no choice in the matter of monitoring their vehicle during service?

A buddy of mine dropped his GTI off at his dealer for warranty work. After the warranty work was completed, the tech took it out for a 20 minute long joyride. Dashcam caught it all. Buddy showed footage to the manager, tech was fired in short order. Icing on the cake there is my friend worked for the dealer group in another department.

Not wanting shop banter on film is understandable, but more often than not that stuff gets glossed over anyways. Experiences like the above are what people care about.
Rationale for disconnecting it could be the tech's don't want to be videotaped and the dealership agrees. If my boss told me they were installing a camera to watch me I would find another job. Customers making the point they don't trust me (what you are saying) also wouldn't sit well. If I was the shop mgr. I can see a reason to not want customers recording everything that goes on.

As for the "does the customer have no choice?", ask the repair shop but if they say no then you still do, like any other business you are free to go somewhere else.

Can't imagine things will go smoothly or in your favor when the manager tells the tech that you demand the camera stay on because you don't trust him.
      06-11-2020, 06:42 PM   #21
yco
i'm just saying
Rep

Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

they should ve told you and turn it off.. or maybe you already signed for it before leaving your car to service in those small letters.. turning off "find my iphone" app when handing over my iphone to an Apple service annoys me more..
      06-11-2020, 06:56 PM   #22
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Probably more hassle then it's worth for the dealer to leave it on. I'm sure if a tech says anything, or does anything it can easily be blown out of proportion and become a huge pita for the dealer. I'm sure 99% of the people taking their cars in either don't have a dash cam and/or don't care if it's disconnected. So its probably not worth dealing with for the 1% that does care.

Thats my guess anyways.
Appreciate 1
David701567.00