New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing

04-26-2011, 10:14 AM   #23
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by xquisit View Post
^ rofl
+1 that was quite amusing
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 12:37 PM   #24
skiernan36
stick to your guns
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i 2012 Audi Q5 2.0T

good thing i have a PC, other wise i'd be pissed i couldnt play Portal 2!
      04-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #25
onehungevo
Captain
Rep

Drives:

I read they are rebuilding the network.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 01:54 PM   #26
ben14142001
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

^ They have the technology...Better...Stronger...Faster...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 03:49 PM   #27
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post

+1

Who wants to fight on Mortal Kombat tonight?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 04:40 PM   #28
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Drives: VF

Oh wow. It's bad.

Click here for the latest on the PSBlog

Or a wall of text for those of you who prefer it:

Quote:
Valued PlayStation Network/Qriocity Customer:
We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011, certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account information was compromised in connection with an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network. In response to this intrusion, we have:
1.Temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services;
2.Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full and complete investigation into what happened; and
3.Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our network infrastructure by re-building our system to provide you with greater protection of your personal information.

We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly and efficiently as practicable.

Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state, zip), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained. While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained.

For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone, and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. When the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your PlayStation Network or Qriocity user name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them, as well.

To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant, to review your account statements and to monitor your credit reports. We are providing the following information for those who wish to consider it:

U.S. residents are entitled under U.S. law to one free credit report annually from each of the three major credit bureaus. To order your free credit report, visit www.annualcreditreport.com or call toll-free (877) 322-8228.

We have also provided names and contact information for the three major U.S. credit bureaus below. At no charge, U.S. residents can have these credit bureaus place a “fraud alert” on your file that alerts creditors to take additional steps to verify your identity prior to granting credit in your name. This service can make it more difficult for someone to get credit in your name. Note, however, that because it tells creditors to follow certain procedures to protect you, it also may delay your ability to obtain credit while the agency verifies your identity. As soon as one credit bureau confirms your fraud alert, the others are notified to place fraud alerts on your file. Should you wish to place a fraud alert, or should you have any questions regarding your credit report, please contact any one of the agencies listed below.

Experian: 888-397-3742; www.experian.com; P.O. Box 9532, Allen, TX 75013
Equifax: 800-525-6285; www.equifax.com; P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241
TransUnion: 800-680-7289; www.transunion.com; Fraud Victim Assistance Division, P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834-6790

You may wish to visit the web site of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission at www.consumer.gov/idtheft or reach the FTC at 1-877-382-4357 or 600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20580 for further information about how to protect yourself from identity theft. Your state Attorney General may also have advice on preventing identity theft, and you should report instances of known or suspected identity theft to law enforcement, your State Attorney General, and the FTC. For North Carolina residents, the Attorney General can be contacted at 9001 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-9001; telephone (877) 566-7226; or www.ncdoj.gov. For Maryland residents, the Attorney General can be contacted at 200 St. Paul Place, 16th Floor, Baltimore, MD 21202; telephone: (888) 743-0023; or www.oag.state.md.us.

We thank you for your patience as we complete our investigation of this incident, and we regret any inconvenience. Our teams are working around the clock on this, and services will be restored as soon as possible. Sony takes information protection very seriously and will continue to work to ensure that additional measures are taken to protect personally identifiable information. Providing quality and secure entertainment services to our customers is our utmost priority. Please contact us at 1-800-345-7669 should you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,
Sony Computer Entertainment and Sony Network Entertainment

Also, reports of Gamestop not buying PS3s back....

Wonder if the passwords were stored as plain text.... Any bets?

Last edited by ragingclue; 04-26-2011 at 04:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 07:15 PM   #29
GregTheStig
derp
Armenia
Rep

Drives: a Tuk Tuk

Holy shit, if those credit card numbers are actually floating on the web right now Sony is fucked. If I was actually paying for this like I would for XBL I'd be uber pissed.
      04-26-2011, 07:25 PM   #30
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregTheStig View Post
Holy shit, if those credit card numbers are actually floating on the web right now Sony is fucked. If I was actually paying for this like I would for XBL I'd be uber pissed.
It took them a week to notify everyone that their information had been compromised.

GG Sony.

IDC though, I have a different password for everything and I never tell anything to remember cc info, so damage is minimal from my POV, although there's still a good chunk of info I don't care for others to have.... But it's stuff that you can pay a few bucks to find out online anyway.

Not as bad as when that douchebag squid lost a thumb drive with my SSN (as well as many others) on it a few years ago....
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 09:07 PM   #31
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep

Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
so which its better now, xbox or sony....lol

owned....literally
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 09:16 PM   #32
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska325xi View Post

owned....literally
Well, I dunno.... Besides the normal XBL vs PSN debate points, I'd think Sony's apparent rebuild of their security infrastructure should put them in a better situation security-wise, but I dunno really....

People have had their info stolen off of the XBL system IIRC, although nothing anywhere near this extent, and I haven't heard of any of that since '08.

I guarantee you though, if it had been Microsoft which pissed off these geeks, they would be in this situation atm, not Sony. Moral of the story: don't piss off lifeless hackers.

"How do you kill that which has no life?"
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 09:17 PM   #33
GregTheStig
derp
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska325xi View Post

owned....literally
Last I checked XBOX Live holds the record for the longest down-time compared to PSN... sooooo.... besides, there's more to the stupid console war than who got hacked and who didn't. These same guys could probably hack XBL too.
      04-27-2011, 01:01 AM   #34
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep

Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Down for another week according to sony. Back to solitaire for me
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 01:04 AM   #35
choicez
Major
Rep

Drives: you mad

http://blog.games.yahoo.com/blog/631...network-attack
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 01:37 AM   #36
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep

Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Sony's stock was down just one percent in after-hours trading. Analysts say they don't believe investors will punish the company substantially, given that this was an external attack and not the result of an internal error.

"Any time you have a break of fidelity like that, it's an issue," said Mike Hickey of Janco Partners. "It's pretty clear that someone has taken an illegal action to make a point. So do I hold Sony to blame for that? No. But should Sony have better security to protect their subscribers personal information? Probably."
Really? I guarantee you he wouldn't be saying that if his CC info was stolen. Yes it was an external attack, which was made possible AS A result of an internal error.
      04-27-2011, 01:45 AM   #37
skiernan36
stick to your guns
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i 2012 Audi Q5 2.0T

not an internal error? they waited nearly a whole fuckin week to notify people that their personal and financial info could have been stolen!! that is unacceptable.
      04-27-2011, 02:01 AM   #38
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep

Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiernan36 View Post
not an internal error? they waited nearly a whole fuckin week to notify people that their personal and financial info could have been stolen!! that is unacceptable.
Ya I'm still in disbelief actually. Someone at work brought it up, and I shrugged it off and said "meh, they didn't actually get anything". What sucks is I barely use it anymore, but now I need to consider getting a new card.
      04-27-2011, 09:03 AM   #39
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep

Drives: 2005 C55 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLikesBMW View Post
hahahha
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 10:09 AM   #40
GregTheStig
derp
Armenia
Rep

Yeah all I know is I'm never buying anything from them again... unless we get some GT5 DLC or something...
      04-27-2011, 04:03 PM   #41
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: M760/G83M4

what if you haven't used PSN in years?

I don't remember what information i gave them... my CC is prly expired... but did I need to give PSN my SSN?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 04:14 PM   #42
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Sad thing is that the hackers have had access to all this info since at least February. So for everyone who thinks that Sony taking seven days to release the info is a lot of time for shit to go down, it's been longer than that....

Quote:
Elsewhere, the website VG247 said it had obtained a log of a hacker conversation from February in which two hackers said that it was easy to break into the PSN and defeat its encryption. "Sony is the biggest spy ever – they collect so much data," one hacker comments in the log. "All connected devices return values sent to Sony servers. it collects when I had a USB device attached. So if they ever sue someone for PSN stuff, they will be sued themselves as most of the data they collect is just not legal."
Source
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 04:20 PM   #43
tHegeRm
Got Turbs?
United_States
Rep

Drives: 13' Lemans Blue 135is

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 04:30 PM   #44
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
A class action lawsuit has been filed for Sony's failure to take reasonable steps to protect the privacy info.
Appreciate 0