New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-19-2018, 05:54 PM   #1
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Question Anyone Else Having WINDOWS 10 Issues

I'm pretty PC literate and have been using Windows OS forever.

I have a couple of laptops I use around the house, but my primary is a 17in HP. It has been solid over the years to say the least! But low and behold... Windows 10 seems to be unleashing foking updates almost weekly if not daily!
Inevitably, there is bound to be some software conflict with various apps or programs I/you run. All I know is that I had gotten the "Blue Screen of Death" (do a search) last week. BSoDs can be caused by several different issues: Faulty Drivers, Virus, Hardware, BIOS issue, Corrupt Files, Overheating and more.
In my case, I initially fixed my issue by disabling the "early launch anti malware protection feature" (advanced troubleshooting in bootup). I then ran Malwarebytes. Which if you don't have this app, I strongly suggest you install and run immediately! I had No viruses. Which I knew anyway since I don't visit shady sites or download random shit.
So That worked for a few days. Until last night... BSOD returned! I attempted all sorts of Command Line repairs for hours. Unfortunately, I had to perform a system reset and clean install. Was able to save all my personal files like docs and photos, but all my installed software was toast. Including browser history and saved passwords from a plethora of sites I regularly use: banks, shopping, educational, social, etc. PITA, but it appears to have done the trick.

Curious if any "PC/Windows users" dealing with this lately?
      12-19-2018, 06:09 PM   #2
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
I'm pretty PC literate and have been using Windows OS forever.

I have a couple of laptops I use around the house, but my primary is a 17in HP. It has been solid over the years to say the least! But low and behold... Windows 10 seems to be unleashing foking updates almost weekly if not daily!
Inevitably, there is bound to be some software conflict with various apps or programs I/you run. All I know is that I had gotten the "Blue Screen of Death" (do a search) last week. BSoDs can be caused by several different issues: Faulty Drivers, Virus, Hardware, BIOS issue, Corrupt Files, Overheating and more.
In my case, I initially fixed my issue by disabling the "early launch anti malware protection feature" (advanced troubleshooting in bootup). I then ran Malwarebytes. Which if you don't have this app, I strongly suggest you install and run immediately! I had No viruses. Which I knew anyway since I don't visit shady sites or download random shit.
So That worked for a few days. Until last night... BSOD returned! I attempted all sorts of Command Line repairs for hours. Unfortunately, I had to perform a system reset and clean install. Was able to save all my personal files like docs and photos, but all my installed software was toast. Including browser history and saved passwords from a plethora of sites I regularly use: banks, shopping, educational, social, etc. PITA, but it appears to have done the trick.

Curious if any "PC/Windows users" dealing with this lately?
What version are you on? We had to stop rollin out the latest creator edition because of all the issues. We are still on 1806.
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE13775.50
      12-19-2018, 06:39 PM   #3
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
What version are you on? We had to stop rollin out the latest creator edition because of all the issues. We are still on 1806.
I'm on 1803. Naturally there are updates pending, but I have held off on updating until I do more research on Windows forums.
      12-19-2018, 06:40 PM   #4
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

I see 1809 is available.
      12-19-2018, 06:43 PM   #5
AnOldBiker
Jim
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 X5 XDrive 40i

It was due to these issues that I replaced every computer I own to Macs. Once converted, never had an issue.
Appreciate 2
Crimson921381.00
cotmfk2039.00
      12-19-2018, 08:08 PM   #6
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
It was due to these issues that I replaced every computer I own to Macs. Once converted, never had an issue.
As much as I also love macs, they are not trouble free in the enterprise nor are they as well supported as windows machines. It’s getting there though.

Last edited by c1pher; 12-20-2018 at 03:53 PM..
Appreciate 2
TXSTYLE13775.50
P111566.00
      12-19-2018, 08:32 PM   #7
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep

Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
It's Mac users like you that give the rest of them a bad rep. We get it you like it, you like your Mac, no one asked. You're more annoying than a vegan cross fitter.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      12-19-2018, 08:51 PM   #8
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: LR4 | L405 SC SWB

There are times I wish I had nothing to do with computers and could use something predictable like a hammer and an anvil at work...

Instagram@particulardude
Appreciate 3
TXSTYLE13775.50
King Rudi13154.00
      12-19-2018, 10:19 PM   #9
1and1
Loves me some MHD!
United_States
Rep

Drives: faster than he should...

Garage List
'09 135i  [10.00]
For my personal home use laptop I've got an HP Envy X360 running v1803 Home and updates current through today. It's polite and well behaved. My work stuff wouldn't be a fair comparison. Focus is on ad blocking (using AdGuard for Windows), AV is just MS Defender in whatever it's basic config is.

I'd encourage holding off on v1809 for at least a week considering all the problems they've had with it. MS released 1809 to "advanced users" on the 18th, and then the morning of the 19th went to wide release.... Yeah, cause 12 hours is enough to be sure a problematic release is safe now... (recent insider testing notwithstanding...) So, OK, it probably is stable now, but let others do the testing first.

In the office where I do this stuff for a living our current plan is to skip 1809 unless it improves drastically.
X1 - E84.N20 2013 MGM - JB4 - The Wife's, now with new turbo & ewg
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE13775.50
      12-19-2018, 10:59 PM   #10
jimbobiggens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Garage List
Microsoft is doing their dead level best to go to Windows as a subscription service. "Windows as a service" is going to be interpreted by me as "Drop Microsoft like a hot rock and hello Linux". Office 19 is already a subscription service.

I truly believe Microsoft is not too big to fail. They failed at smartphones, they have failed with Edge, Bing is a failure, and this will fail too. They have given up on producing a polished product and are content to have the customer base do their final product testing. Thus the unfinished/incomplete updates causing all the grief with files and user data missing or corrupted.

I work in IT in a college and our updates have to be tested before releasing because of the unreliable nature of Windows updates. We hold updates for a couple of months to give us time to test them thoroughly first. We absolutely cannot have issues like 1809 OneDrive updates erasing user data.

As of right now, we have no plans to go above 1803.
      12-19-2018, 11:17 PM   #11
WestRace
Major
Rep

Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobiggens View Post

I work in IT in a college and our updates have to be tested before releasing because of the unreliable nature of Windows updates. We hold updates for a couple of months to give us time to test them thoroughly first. We absolutely cannot have issues like 1809 OneDrive updates erasing user data.

As of right now, we have no plans to go above 1803.
A very smart man once told me that all softwares have bugs. If you wait until you fix all the bugs before releasing your software products, you're probably too late.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 04:23 AM   #12
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

MAC sux, W10 fail, W7 ftw.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 3
TXSTYLE13775.50
King Rudi13154.00
      12-20-2018, 06:28 AM   #13
jimbobiggens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRace View Post
A very smart man once told me that all softwares have bugs. If you wait until you fix all the bugs before releasing your software products, you're probably too late.
This particular update I referenced erased the contents of the User folder if it was not already on Onedrive's cloud. This update was the reason Microsoft put 1809 on hold after releasing it. Imagine waking up in the morning and all your data is gone. All your documents, your desktop, pictures, everything related to you is gone. Now multiply that with 3000 computers in a school. See the problem? Yikes.
      12-20-2018, 08:27 AM   #14
FCobra94
Rep
n/a

Drives:

Quote:
So That worked for a few days. Until last night... BSOD returned!
You keep linking BSOD with Windows updates, but haven't referenced any relevant information as to causation.

What errors are you seeing in the logs?

Sounds like you're blindly chasing down software updates when the issue could be something entirely different. This is equivalent to getting a CEL for misfires and flashing a new map before even reading trouble codes.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 08:45 AM   #15
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
I work in IT, so All. The. Time.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 08:51 AM   #16
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Only issues I've had with it recently are a Motorola (Symbol) scanner stopped working for a while, and now I've noticed the power saver doesn't seem to switch off the screen.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 08:58 AM   #17
WestRace
Major
Rep

Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobiggens View Post
This particular update I referenced erased the contents of the User folder if it was not already on Onedrive's cloud. This update was the reason Microsoft put 1809 on hold after releasing it. Imagine waking up in the morning and all your data is gone. All your documents, your desktop, pictures, everything related to you is gone. Now multiply that with 3000 computers in a school. See the problem? Yikes.
I can live with that :-)
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 09:47 AM   #18
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I have Win 10 Enterprise on all my machines, and all have been rock solid. Are you sure you aren't having hardware issues? Loose video cards, memory that becomes unseated, all can lead to blue screens. I'd start there first.

Remember: just like redoing your iPhone from scratch once a year, sometimes just DBANing your hard drive and going with a fresh Win 10 install isn't the worst thing.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2018, 09:58 AM   #19
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I have Win 10 Enterprise on all my machines, and all have been rock solid. Are you sure you aren't having hardware issues? Loose video cards, memory that becomes unseated, all can lead to blue screens. I'd start there first.

Remember: just like redoing your iPhone from scratch once a year, sometimes just DBANing your hard drive and going with a fresh Win 10 install isn't the worst thing.
Yeah. I'm starting to believe that. I would think that if it is hardware related, the issue will creep up again soon... But so far everything is humming along fine on that machine.
      12-20-2018, 12:04 PM   #20
FCobra94
Rep
n/a

Drives:

Quote:
I would think that if it is hardware related, the issue will creep up again soon...
Again, there's no need to guess...WHAT ARE YOUR LOGS SHOWING!??!?!?!?!
Appreciate 1
P111566.00
      12-20-2018, 01:05 PM   #21
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Again, there's no need to guess...WHAT ARE YOUR LOGS SHOWING!??!?!?!?!
FYI Genius... I wasn't attempting to update jack shit as you implied earlier.

Unfortunately there are no log files from Reliability Monitor prior to me doing the new install. And Event Viewer isn't the ideal place to look for bsod reasons. So nothing for me to really go on prior to.
All I know, was I tried everything. There was no restore point to choose from. And it would NOT even boot into Safe Mode. Could have been a bug in Windows or a hardware driver could have caused the crash, but I may never see it again.
      12-20-2018, 02:19 PM   #22
FCobra94
Rep
n/a

Drives:

Quote:
And Event Viewer isn't the ideal place to look for bsod reasons.
It's certainly more "ideal" than performing a system reset, but ok
Appreciate 0