New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

10-23-2015, 10:34 AM   #1
mylydiamy
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2008 335i e93 convertible

Need an advice from a pro

Hi all,

I am 46 years old. I try to eat healthy and exercise 3 times a week (175, 5-10, size 31, very lean). Although I am in good shape and has been going to gym for years, I don't consider myself knowledgeable when it comes to training. So I have a questions for those who are more knowledgeable.

I usually do 3 sets of 10-12 reps of each exercise. But I see people doing one set of 10-12 rep of a specific exercise, then move to another exercise and do one set, then move to another one and do one set, and then move back to the first one and do one set....(i.e one set of bicep, one set of chest, one set of shoulder, then another one set of bicep, one set of chest, one set of shoulder, .....). The obvious advantage of this method is time saving since you can reduce the rest between sets since you work on different muscle groups.

This is my question : is this a smart way of working out when you have limited time to work out? Does it increase/decrease the result? Do it or don't do it?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 11:04 AM   #2
csu87
Banned
Rep

Drives: 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylydiamy View Post
Hi all,

I am 46 years old. I try to eat healthy and exercise 3 times a week (175, 5-10, size 31, very lean). Although I am in good shape and has been going to gym for years, I don't consider myself knowledgeable when it comes to training. So I have a questions for those who are more knowledgeable.

I usually do 3 sets of 10-12 reps of each exercise. But I see people doing one set of 10-12 rep of a specific exercise, then move to another exercise and do one set, then move to another one and do one set, and then move back to the first one and do one set....(i.e one set of bicep, one set of chest, one set of shoulder, then another one set of bicep, one set of chest, one set of shoulder, .....). The obvious advantage of this method is time saving since you can reduce the rest between sets since you work on different muscle groups.

This is my question : is this a smart way of working out when you have limited time to work out? Does it increase/decrease the result? Do it or don't do it?

Thanks in advance
It depends on what your goals are. This is usually good for getting a pump in and burning calories, but if size and strength are your main goals, not as much.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 11:38 AM   #3
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

You're talking about compound sets. Each exercise targets a different muscle group. This allows each muscle group to rest between sets, yet allows you to quickly move to another set with minimal rest time in between to keep your heart rate up.

There's no right or wrong. If you're doing big weights, you should rest more between sets so compound sets don't work as well. If all you want is a quick workout, then yes compound sets are good.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 11:47 AM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Drives: M235i 6spd

changing out your routine is usually considered a good thing, doing the same routine month after month or year after year will probably cause a decline in gains. However, to continue the same routine could maintain or even increase your strength. So you need to analyze and be aware of what is available.
Training agonistic/antagonistic (opposing body parts) muscles (superset style ) is a viable training routine style.
So, the 3x10 set/rep routine is good, though, after months you may start to lack the gains from early on so some type of change may be beneficial for continuing gains, could be singularly a psychological benefit to changing routine or physical benefit or both.
Cautiously there are combination of exercises that are considered potentially injury causing. Deadlifts then Squats are a combination that is frowned upon for a same day or consecutive day workout routine.

1) asking questions and reading qualified information is good.
2) changing out your routine and learning new weight lifting exercise is good.
3) cross-training is good.
4) some people in the gym or on forums don't know anything.
5) don't be influenced or fooled by people using illegal supplements.

The post above mentions COMPOUND EXERCISES and I followed what other people have written and believe Compound Exercises are the building block of weight lifting. Crossfit, no matter what your opinion of, looks to be big into compound exercises.

Last edited by overcoil; 10-23-2015 at 01:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 03:52 PM   #5
mylydiamy
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2008 335i e93 convertible

Thanks all for your replies
Appreciate 0