New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

02-25-2009, 06:43 AM   #1
markpeterson59
Rep

Drives: Honda City

Need help for buying a new camera

Hi

I am looking for a digital camera for everyday use... I'm no expert, I've been looking around for some and I really like the canon powershot G9. Price isn't too bad either. I read a lot digital camera reviews on alaTest. So something with those characteristics is what I am looking for and I don't want to spend over 500 USD... Good quality picture, zoom, etc.... what do you guys thing... I don't care much about brands either, but I've mostly been researching canons. what about the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H50? or others similar? Please Suggest me if any.

Thanks.
      02-25-2009, 11:26 AM   #2
rodi
. . .
Rep

Drives: your FACE!

the Canon G series is a great line. you won't be disappointed.

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 12:33 PM   #3
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
The G9 and G10 are great cameras. Do a search here and you'll see some recent discussion. I own the G9 and, prior to that, the G8 and a Canon 5D MkII with a couple of L-series lenses that cost me around 4-grand. I still use the G9 for candid situations or when I can't take the 5D.

You should also consider a base level DSLR for just a little more and I suspect that you already have. You can get better images with a DSLR, no doubt, but you'll have to worry with lenses and a bulkier package. The G9 competes with low end DSLR for image quality, but its small sensor size vs. even a basis DSLR gives up some potential. Still, I just licensed one of my vacation pictures this morning, taken with my G9.

The big advantage of the G9 is that it's a small, but complete package, with good lens range and high image quality. If you find yourself getting more serious you can mover into a DSLR later. The biggest weakness of the G9 and G10 is the shutter latency, where you push the shutter button and, in certain circumstances, there's a delay before the shutter actually goes off. This limits its usefulness as an action camera, like ALL point and shoot cameras.

Dave
      02-27-2009, 04:17 AM   #4
markpeterson59
Rep

Drives: Honda City

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
The G9 and G10 are great cameras. Do a search here and you'll see some recent discussion. I own the G9 and, prior to that, the G8 and a Canon 5D MkII with a couple of L-series lenses that cost me around 4-grand. I still use the G9 for candid situations or when I can't take the 5D.

You should also consider a base level DSLR for just a little more and I suspect that you already have. You can get better images with a DSLR, no doubt, but you'll have to worry with lenses and a bulkier package. The G9 competes with low end DSLR for image quality, but its small sensor size vs. even a basis DSLR gives up some potential. Still, I just licensed one of my vacation pictures this morning, taken with my G9.

The big advantage of the G9 is that it's a small, but complete package, with good lens range and high image quality. If you find yourself getting more serious you can mover into a DSLR later. The biggest weakness of the G9 and G10 is the shutter latency, where you push the shutter button and, in certain circumstances, there's a delay before the shutter actually goes off. This limits its usefulness as an action camera, like ALL point and shoot cameras.

Dave
Can u provide me some features of these model which u suggest to me
      02-27-2009, 07:58 AM   #5
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpeterson59 View Post
Can u provide me some features of these model which u suggest to me
Here's my most trusted review site:

DP Review of G10

They really give you a feel for the strengths and weakness of each camera that they review.

Happy hunting,

Dave