New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

09-30-2021, 06:33 PM   #1
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

What is the best *handling* car one can buy new/stock?

Been fascinated by the latest MX-5, they look awesome carving up and down those hill runs and wonder if there is anything comparable that can competently do technical stuff that you can buy new and it's stock....BRZ? Cayman? To me, sportscars are all about lightness/smallness/handling, I couldn't care less about straight-line speed unless 0-60 is something horrible. For example, I think it's a tragedy some ppl actually consider Bentleys sporty and Veyrons are just pointless ugh.

Anyone have a ND2 here? Tell me what other cars you tested before deciding on that one.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2021, 06:43 PM   #2
jellydoughnutt
Private
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Depends on how functional you want it to be in other areas. Like if I were to choose a car that is only for that purpose it would be an Ariel Atom or a Lotus of sone sort.
Appreciate 3
sspade2460.00
Murf99314114.00
540iSUP703.00
      09-30-2021, 06:53 PM   #3
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellydoughnutt View Post
Depends on how functional you want it to be in other areas. Like if I were to choose a car that is only for that purpose it would be an Ariel Atom or a Lotus of sone sort.
Only new Lotus (at least in N Amer) is Emira, probably handles amazingly cuz Lotus but unknown atm...guess baseline comparison would be the Evora. Not a fan of open air barely cars like the Atom, Eleven, etc, though and need something a bit more practical like the MX-5.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 07:07 PM   #4
Sedoy
Captain
Rep

Drives: F10

If money not an issue Porsche 911 GT3 RS, if on the "budget" Cayman GT4
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
      09-30-2021, 07:10 PM   #5
KMP259
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2017 BMW M6 Competition

McClaren has the fastest track time out of the bunch....
Mercedes SLS AMG 6.3 Black Series
Porsche GT-2 RS
Mercedes GLK Black series 6.3
And others....
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 07:12 PM   #6
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedoy View Post
Haha, even if I was in the mkt I doubt I would make the cut to get those, but srsly, are they more capable than the MX-5 on that stretch of road, they definitely have more power but more weight as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 07:28 PM   #7
Bimmer Pleaser
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2023 M240i RWD

ZL1 1LE dollar for dollar
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      09-30-2021, 08:30 PM   #8
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Quote:
Haha, even if I was in the mkt I doubt I would make the cut to get those, but srsly, are they more capable than the MX-5 on that stretch of road, they definitely have more power but more weight as well.
Lighter, simpler cars are always more fun. Heavier, more powerful cars will be more capable. Do you want to have fun or swing your magazine stats around?

I had an NB Miata, it was a great car, the ND is better in every way. If I didn't need a back seat, I'd have one immediately. For in town and tight backroads, there's not much better. For highways and longer drives, they're pretty lacking.

The new BRZ/GR86 is supposed to be much better than the last one, so might be worth a look if you don't mind the extra 500 pounds and slightly more civilized nature. It's still pretty basic and more fun than the high powered boats being bantered around.
Appreciate 2
      09-30-2021, 08:37 PM   #9
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Lighter, simpler cars are always more fun. Heavier, more powerful cars will be more capable. Do you want to have fun or swing your magazine stats around?

I had an NB Miata, it was a great car, the ND is better in every way. If I didn't need a back seat, I'd have one immediately. For in town and tight backroads, there's not much better. For highways and longer drives, they're pretty lacking.

The new BRZ/GR86 is supposed to be much better than the last one, so might be worth a look if you don't mind the extra 500 pounds and slightly more civilized nature. It's still pretty basic and more fun than the high powered boats being bantered around.
That's what I'm guessing. I wonder if those 2 mentioned Porsches would do better on that road or would the MX-5 actually be faster?

I haven't driven any but I think I'd still go for the ND2 atm instead of the new BRZ.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 08:46 PM   #10
Machinebuilder
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 640 IX GT

The Miata is great but so small alot of people just do not fit in it. Porsche Boxsters and BMW Z3 or Z4's are worth looking for. I think VW GTI's and BMW 2 series handle well too.
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2021, 08:52 PM   #11
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinebuilder View Post
The Miata is great but so small alot of people just do not fit in it. Porsche Boxsters and BMW Z3 or Z4's are worth looking for. I think VW GTI's and BMW 2 series handle well too.
Ya, I heard that if you're closing in on 6', it's gonna cause a prb, esp w the RF. Luckily I don't have this issue and seems like this car may be custom-made for me haha.

I still have my Z4 but I imagine it's gonna feel like a boat compared to the MX-5. Excellent GT and every-other-purpose car for me though.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 08:55 PM   #12
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinebuilder View Post
I replaced my Miata with an M Coupe. The Z3 is tighter than the Miata. I'm 6'2" and fit fine in both. The Z4 was quite a bit roomier and just generally more composed than either.

Boxsters and Caymans are certainly quicker and have higher handling limits, but they're also 50% heavier and don't transition nearly as well, plus they're nearly 20" longer. On a truly tight road without longer straights, a Miata would most likely be quicker, and it would be easier to hustle through there too.

One note about Miatas though, they are very softly sprung from the factory. They have lots of body roll and pretty forgiving roll bars. A simple shock and spring upgrade with new sway bars and a decent set of brake pads and better fluid and they're much more capable. Plus parts are comically cheap when compared to heavier, more powerful cars.
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2021, 08:58 PM   #13
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 340ix

If handling, I have to throw in Civic Type R. Its bit of a rocket too.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 08:59 PM   #14
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

I should probably mention that a rubber mallet and an electric knife were used extensively on my NB to hammer out the bulge for the RHD fuel filler and take out lots of seat foam. Plus I immediately jettisoned the sun visors. The ND does feel tight at 6'2", but I assume would allow a few small adjustments to make it slightly more spacious.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 08:59 PM   #15
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
One note about Miatas though, they are very softly sprung from the factory. They have lots of body roll and pretty forgiving roll bars.
I heard that's intentionally part of its ethos, but why, to make it more livable/streetable...and for ppl who want it to be more hardcore, Mazda assumes they will just buy new parts?
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4462.00
      09-30-2021, 09:01 PM   #16
Sedoy
Captain
Rep

Drives: F10

Quote:
That's what I'm guessing. I wonder if those 2 mentioned Porsches would do better on that road or would the MX-5 actually be faster?

I haven't driven any but I think I'd still go for the ND2 atm instead of the new BRZ.
Wait what? Porsche or Miata? Not even close almost any Porsche will be faster than Miata including 4500k lbs Cayenne Turbo...

Last edited by Sedoy; 09-30-2021 at 11:21 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2021, 09:01 PM   #17
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
Ya, I heard that and the GTI are good cars, but I'm not feeling FWD these days.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 09:02 PM   #18
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nothing comparable between a light, rwd car and a CTR in terms of handling, even though it is great for a fwd car. Plus the old CTR doesn't seem to have sufficient cooling. Hopefully the fix it with the new one. Plus it's 30" longer than a Miata.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 09:03 PM   #19
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Wait what? Porsche or Miata, not ever close almost any Porsche will be faster than Miata including 4500k lbs Cayenne Turbo...
On that specific road in the video? Any Porsche, even the heaviest SAV? Really?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 09:04 PM   #20
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ya, I heard that and the GTI are good cars, but I'm not feeling FWD these days.
I have a tuned GTI, it's quick-ish, but it's always going to be fwd. I'd love to add an ND or a Caterham as a weekend car sometime soon.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 09:19 PM   #21
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

Miata is not the scalpel people make them out to be (not out of the box any way). They are softly sprung and have a lot of roll. The BRZ felt more taught in its handling to me.
      09-30-2021, 09:24 PM   #22
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 340ix

Quote:
Nothing comparable between a light, rwd car and a CTR in terms of handling, even though it is great for a fwd car. Plus the old CTR doesn't seem to have sufficient cooling. Hopefully the fix it with the new one. Plus it's 30" longer than a Miata.
Yea the Miata will handle better than a TYPE R but its closer than most think and it has the power advantage I know is not in the thread factor.
Appreciate 0