New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

View Poll Results: Is a portable car jack/lift worth it
Yes, versatile and safe 29 35.37%
No, std ramps and jacks are fine 4 4.88%
I'm considering one 24 29.27%
Get a 2 post installed if you have the money and space 24 29.27%
other (please specify in response) 1 1.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

05-01-2018, 07:34 PM   #23
E92 M Sport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
How could they indent your pavement when your jack stands don't? They have SO much more surface area contact with the pavement than your jack stands do.
I use some plywood under my jack stands. Byproduct of my previous older driveway I guess. New one is too nice to have indents all over it. I guess the scissor jacks would not dent it up, but not interested in finding out.
      11-21-2018, 03:04 AM   #24
JimParsons
Registered
Rep

Drives: Ford Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
I have the Bendpak Mid-Rise Scissor lift and love it. I was tired of being on my back since I do have back problems. I wanted to get a 4 post lift, but my garage wasn't big enough. I looked at the Quick Jack and the like, but they didn't go up high enough. I think this is the best alternative to both those options. The build quality is as good as you can find and I never feel unsafe underneath it. Plus, it lifts and retracts very quickly. It is more than your budget, but I think for the quality and portability, it was worth it for me.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...2674_200102674
Agree 100%. I would take the MD-6XP any day over the QuickJack, the extra height makes all the difference and you can easily park over the top of it or store it away when not needed.

However, if there are decent options for 2 post lifts in smaller garages now a days. Bendpak also do the Grand Prix series which as you can see below are able to fit into most garages.

Source = Pickup World

Personally, I have the GP-7LCS (got it through the Bendpak site) and use a mechanics chair for comfort. Works well for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
How does one even find out how thick their concrete is & what PSI? Clearly folks buying used homes are not given that info at closing.
You can just drill a small hole to test the thickness and refill after, if needed. Probably the easiest way.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 10:34 AM   #25
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep

Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
I was debating the QuickJack vs MaxJax a few months ago...I like the QuickJack being truly portable but the MaxJax getting 2-3x the height. I used a buddies MaxJax to install lowering springs and it was fine. While it can't reach a height that'll allow anyone to stand and work, my buddy put casters on a BMW seat and it was nice being able to sit upright. What ultimately forced my hand is MaxJax told me they were on backorder until like June and I kinda got to the point where I wanted something now vs continually putting it off. My limitations are also that my 2 car garage only has like 75" of ceiling height due to a heater duct (but makes for a nice heated garage) vs my 3rd car garage has like 90". I also have the limitation of depth and needing to be able to move the lift forward or backwards as needed to accommodate vehicles of different lengths vs the MaxJax is pretty permanent once holes are drilled...I have about 4-5' of room from the front bumper to the wall when I've given myself about 1"' from the back bumper to the garage door with the X5M on the lift. Mind you that if it's winter and I'm trying to not let the heat out, so that meant I couldn't use the front and rear center jack points, which meant I was doing a lot of left right left right left right, trying to find other jack points since I've got stands in the stock locations, jackstands sometimes tipping as I tried to get each corner to their max height...now it's just slide them under, hit a button and 30 seconds later it's 2' in the air.

I got the 7000EXT (weight capacity and length was needed for the X5M and my Harley Davidson F150) and opted for the 12v version since it's as portable as it can get and while fitting nicely in the back of the X5M. I just finished installing aftermarket downpipes and it was very convenient being able to raise and lower the truck as needed since they're put in from the top, aligned to the exhaust at the bottom, loose installing bolts/clamps back and forth before final torque.
Thanks for sharing the photos and your review. Been contemplating to get one of these.... great more toys to spend money on
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 11:08 AM   #26
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

You're welcome...you can't go wrong having either one.

The QuickJack is great for true portability, I can't even count how many times I've looked at my traditional jack and stands, said screw that and rolled the QuickJack outside for a quick job.

If I'd gotten the MaxJax I would have had to do some concrete work in both the garage and driveway...at the time it was about $400 more (not including extra concrete work and epoxy nutserts) and a would take longer to setup, but the MaxJax setup outside would be fun for sunny days.

Last edited by m5james; 11-25-2018 at 11:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 01:08 AM   #27
850CSi
16 years and counting...
Rep

Drives: '06 325i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
I have the Bendpak Mid-Rise Scissor lift and love it. I was tired of being on my back since I do have back problems. I wanted to get a 4 post lift, but my garage wasn't big enough. I looked at the Quick Jack and the like, but they didn't go up high enough. I think this is the best alternative to both those options. The build quality is as good as you can find and I never feel unsafe underneath it. Plus, it lifts and retracts very quickly. It is more than your budget, but I think for the quality and portability, it was worth it for me.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...2674_200102674

Question for those of you who have scissor-style midrise lifts -- do you not find them to obstruct the center part of the car? I assume it'd be very difficult to drop a transmission on a modern BMW with one of these?

I am tempted to buy a QuickJack but feel like it's way overpriced considering you can get something much more substantial that'll lift the car much higher for not much more...
      08-29-2021, 06:21 AM   #28
robmandeville143
Registered
Rep

Drives: 2010 BMW 125i E82

A car lift port jack is so important for my own workshop. This is a piece of equipment that you need to have complete faith in. Lifting a car can be a dangerous undertaking – you are in control of lifting tons of metal into the air. I have the Blackhawk B6350. This is my car lift jack by which I got so much help in my working place. This car lift service jack also features the bypass device that prevents the damage from over pumping. This is a low price as well. It features the swivel saddle that provides you with easy jack positioning and user safety. Its heavy-duty steel construction also provides you with the safe use and long term durability.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 12:19 PM   #29
nowayout
Private
Rep

Drives: 08 E92

To test concrete PSI you would have to take a core sample and get it tested.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 02:58 PM   #30
skelly
Registered
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 528xi BMW 650i Porsche 944

Need Advice on Portable Lift

Trying to decide between a QuickJack https://www.quickjack.com/ and EZ Car Lift https://www.ezcarlift.com/ , and I'm looking for opinions of those who have bought/tried them. Of for that matter, if you know of anything better, I would appreciate hearing about that as well.

My current situation:
Semi-retired, my son and I like to work on various vehicles
  • Obscenely small suburban two-car garage, lacking in height, width and depth
  • I really like the MaxJack, but it's NOT an option in my current garage
  • I need something that doesn't require a forklift to get it off the delivery truck
  • I will fully retire in 1 1/2 years, whereupon I will move to a smaller house with a bigger, better garage, and I will then buy a proper two-point lift
  • The scissor lifts I have seen (HF, et.al) are NOT an option, I need to do occasional transmission work, and they are also too heavy to move around

The two options I'm considering look like I can easily roll them out to the driveway on nice days?

We regularly work on a WIDE variety of vehicles for family and friends:
Porsche 944
BMW 528xi
BMW 650i
Mazda Miata
Ford Escape(s)
Misc Toyotas

I THINK I've figured out which cross spacers I need for the EZ Car Lift. However, I haven't quite figured out which model of the QuickJack would be best, I've read that only the 5000 model is short enough for the Miata, but may or may not work for the longer vehicles.

I really like the idea of the greater clearance of the EZ Car lift, and being able to slide under the car from the side, vs only from the end. I also realize that the EZ Car Lift is more expensive, but it seems like the QuickJack is going to require some add-ons if you're using a wide variety of vehicles??

Anyway, I have the budget to get either one, I'm looking for thoughts, opinions and suggestions.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 03:35 PM   #31
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
What do you guys think of this?

https://www.autoliftproduction.com/e...BoCJiYQAvD_BwE
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 06:27 PM   #32
JJ 911SC
Crusty Old Navy Chief
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 1983 911SC

Garage List
If you don't have the head room for a 2/4 posts...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 12:11 PM   #33
jmack
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: OG M2, E70 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ 911SC View Post
If you don't have the head room for a 2/4 posts...
I'm sure it's safe, but I don't think I would get under something that looks like an ironing board when it's extended.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 12:28 PM   #34
JJ 911SC
Crusty Old Navy Chief
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 1983 911SC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
I'm sure it's safe, but I don't think I would get under something that looks like an ironing board when it's extended.
It's safe, only the raw steel is Chinese. The pump, motor and the cylinders are from N.A. and its manufacture in Canada.

https://liftsuperstore.com/wp-conten...8-Brochure.pdf
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 10:14 PM   #35
skelly
Registered
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 528xi BMW 650i Porsche 944

Need Advice on Portable Lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Interesting, but looks like it would be difficult to do transmission work.
Appreciate 0