New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-29-2020, 01:20 PM   #1211
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcr3d View Post
I guess that is part of the problem, here they go through the state police.
And while not in an "official" capacity, if they are having range days when I'm not working, I've been allowed to come out and burn off some steam, using their ammo
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 01:41 PM   #1212
wcr3d
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport

I would suggest you attend and burn up lots of their ammo, also use the sheriffs re-election posters as targets!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 02:02 PM   #1213
premier3is
Major
Rep

Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smgs1992 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
It definitely depends on where the speeding occurred and the attitude of the person once I contacted them. The accidents at 100+ mph are really gnarly. I'm talking decapitations, body parts strewn all over the freeway, etc.
Definitely no where crowded we have 3lane highways here that are pretty straight.
In the circumstances i’d assume no other cars or anyone to injure. I definitely have heard some horror stories about gnarly wrecks though.
Assuming theyre respectful and dont try to run. Also if they have their ccw and are carrying would that have any influence one way or another?
You realize there are plenty of other ways you can get into an accident even if the road is completely empty right?
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614882.00
      10-29-2020, 04:19 PM   #1214
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
You realize there are plenty of other ways you can get into an accident even if the road is completely empty right?
Yes but the point is i would be solely endangering myself not others.
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 04:30 PM   #1215
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
And while not in an "official" capacity, if they are having range days when I'm not working, I've been allowed to come out and burn off some steam, using their ammo
Don't do that in New Yorkistan State! We have *zero* reciprocity with any other state, *zero* tolerance for passing through our fine state with an unloaded handgun in a trunk-mounted lockbox, and laws on the books that make it an instant felony to even TOUCH a handgun in a licensed FFL store unless you have a state CCW permit.

The funny thing is that you have to own a handgun and include the serial number on a new CCW application. Gun stores here will gladly let you spend your money on a handgun and give you the paperwork, and then lock it in their safe for a year or however long it takes to get approved for the CCW. Because of the no-touch law, a purchaser without a CCW cannot handle any potential purchase before they buy it. If a sporting goods store employee doesn't have a CCW, they can't even take merchandise out of the display case to show you the features or even turn it over so that you can see the other side. Talk about catch-22!

When my DW and I were about to apply for our CCW's, we stopped at a Cabellas store down south during a road trip to handle the merchandise so that we could make our educated purchases at home.

Oh, and it bears mentioning that NYC is it's own island when it comes to CCW. Not only do they have zero reciprocity with anyone, they also have zero reciprocity with NY State (and vice-versa)! No lock-box transit through NYC, and an instant Riker's Island vacation stay (NYC's prison) for even walking between airport gates with an airline-approved lock box to change planes at JFK or LaGuardia Airports if traveling with your weapon.

It took us over a year to get our CCW's, but we did...and unrestricted at that. It took a total of six trips to notaries, three trips to the Sheriff's Department, one trip to the county clerk's office, fingerprints, a surprise home visit by a deputy to confirm where we lived, four un-related references who live in the county, fingerprints, police background and employment checks, an NRA gun safety course certificate, and a satchel full of papers...in duplicate. In many "free" states, I could have purchased a handgun same day if I presented their state driver's license and passed the mandatory federal background check.....
      10-29-2020, 04:42 PM   #1216
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Don't do that in New Yorkistan State! We have *zero* reciprocity with any other state, *zero* tolerance for passing through our fine state with an unloaded handgun in a trunk-mounted lockbox, and laws on the books that make it an instant felony to even TOUCH a handgun in a licensed FFL store unless you have a state CCW permit.

The funny thing is that you have to own a handgun and include the serial number on a new CCW application. Gun stores here will gladly let you spend your money on a handgun and give you the paperwork, and then lock it in their safe for a year or however long it takes to get approved for the CCW. Because of the no-touch law, a purchaser without a CCW cannot handle any potential purchase before they buy it. If a sporting goods store employee doesn't have a CCW, they can't even take merchandise out of the display case to show you the features or even turn it over so that you can see the other side. Talk about catch-22!

When my DW and I were about to apply for our CCW's, we stopped at a Cabellas store down south during a road trip to handle the merchandise so that we could make our educated purchases at home.

Oh, and it bears mentioning that NYC is it's own island when it comes to CCW. Not only do they have zero reciprocity with anyone, they also have zero reciprocity with NY State (and vice-versa)! No lock-box transit through NYC, and an instant Riker's Island vacation stay (NYC's prison) for even walking between airport gates with an airline-approved lock box to change planes at JFK or LaGuardia Airports if traveling with your weapon.

It took us over a year to get our CCW's, but we did...and unrestricted at that. It took a total of six trips to notaries, three trips to the Sheriff's Department, one trip to the county clerk's office, fingerprints, a surprise home visit by a deputy to confirm where we lived, four un-related references who live in the county, fingerprints, police background and employment checks, an NRA gun safety course certificate, and a satchel full of papers...in duplicate. In many "free" states, I could have purchased a handgun same day if I presented their state driver's license and passed the mandatory federal background check.....
How the hell is that not completely unconstitutional and been tried in court?? I thought new jersey laws were bad
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 2
lakefront560.50
scostu1619.50
      10-29-2020, 05:56 PM   #1217
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2020 330i xDrive

Quote:
How the hell is that not completely unconstitutional and been tried in court?? I thought new jersey laws were bad
I guess some people and lawmakers believe this is supposed to stop idiots from shooting each other with illegal/unregistered firearms. Reality check: don't think so.
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1w...1L3y6cmPEyGSoI
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 06:23 PM   #1218
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
A lot of people from NY State (not NYC) go to that big indoor range in Bergen County NJ to handle and try out handguns before starting the CCW process in NY.

It has been challenged many times. Governor No-No found out that the NRA was incorporated in NY State, and let's just say that they have written our state off in all of their legal fights ever since. The state is not denying anyone who jumps through all of the flaming hoops a CCW. Nobody said that it has to be a fast process though, and most CCW licenses are issued with a restriction that only allows home use and trips to a licensed range.

I forgot to mention the last stop in the process is a trip before the judge, who meets face-to-face with every single applicant to determine whether or not he/she will sign off on an applicant getting their CCW and whether it will be a restricted or the (impossible/rare in many counties) unrestricted permit.....
      10-29-2020, 07:03 PM   #1219
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcr3d View Post
I guess that is part of the problem, here they go through the state police.
It used to be you could go to any police chief of any city in the county you lived in, then it changed to the county sheriff grants them.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 05:46 AM   #1220
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merami fan View Post
I guess some people and lawmakers believe this is supposed to stop idiots from shooting each other with illegal/unregistered firearms. Reality check: don't think so.
Yeah, bummer that the people who buy the guns can't be responsible storing or selling them.
Hence, the gov steps in to protect the citizens.
Hence NYC has lower gun violence than most all other municipalities (in the USA).
Yeah, bummer.

Murf
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 06:10 AM   #1221
Murf993
Major
Rep

Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
Yeah, bummer that the people who buy the guns can't be responsible storing or selling them.
Hence, the gov steps in to protect the citizens.
Hence NYC has lower gun violence than most all other municipalities (in the USA).
Yeah, bummer.

Murf
So what you're saying is that it's the law abiding gun owners committing the gun crimes?
Appreciate 3
vreihen1614882.00
      10-30-2020, 07:34 AM   #1222
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Quote:

Non-residents can travel through NY/NYC with an unloaded firearm.

Per the FOPA all people traveling through any state with an unloaded firearm locked in a case in the trunk are protected. End of story.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 08:31 AM   #1223
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:

WOW!

I love living in Florida.
      10-30-2020, 09:07 AM   #1224
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
So what you're saying is that it's the law abiding gun owners committing the gun crimes?
Crime against the state? Probably many do re storage & resale.
Crime against humanity? Ibid, plus a bit.

Murf
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 01:00 PM   #1225
davidr3
Captain
Rep

Drives: 335i

Do you enjoy the sheriffs department or did you enjoy CHP more?

Pros and cons to each job?
I feel like I constantly hear about people switching departments and wondered why that is.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      10-30-2020, 01:32 PM   #1226
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidr3 View Post
Do you enjoy the sheriffs department or did you enjoy CHP more?

Pros and cons to each job?
I feel like I constantly hear about people switching departments and wondered why that is.
I enjoy both departments, but I will say there's more cultural/unnecessary bullshit on the Sheriff's Department than with the CHP. Sometimes the Sheriff's Department's culture purposely makes you feel like you are subpar/less of a human when you're new or on training (..e.g....custody training, patrol training, etc.). Most departments don't treat people like that. In fact, I can't really think of another department that treats people like that outside of mine. My main reason for making the transition was because I originally wanted to work Special Victims, but the defund movement may have halted that. Another reason I transitioned is because I don't want to patrol forever, and with my current department I have a ton of latitude with regards to jobs on the department. If I had gone to a police department I would have to patrol forever. I could actually leave patrol now, but our Sheriff wants us to patrol for 4 years in order to gain access to every job or be able to promote to Sergeant. I just left the CHP the end of 2017 and I had to work the jails when I first came to the Sheriff's Department. I left the jails late last year and have been on patrol ever since. I may not do 4 years on patrol to be honest, especially since I had already put in 7 years with the CHP. I like my peace of mind more than anything else. I might go to courts or another assignment and just chill.

As for the pros.....

...I would say the things in favor of the CHP are the pursuit policy, better treatment, statewide flexibility in terms of job(s)/movement, strong union, etc.

...The things in favor of the Sheriff's Department are the sheer range of jobs (...400+ jobs; many not on paper....coveted), the ability to promote really quickly because of our size, the ability to not have to be on patrol forever, strong union, you do more cop stuff/get more experience IMHO, etc.

The cons.....

...CHP: You get less experience with certain aspects of police work, the state has control over CALPERS/retirement money, the department is affected when the state cuts money, overtime is mainly sitting still watching CALTRANS work (..which is good to some people), etc.

...Sheriff's Department: The culture is absurd, up until recently we had a hard time procuring good equipment, bureaucracy/fighting between our Sheriff and the Board of Supervisors, etc.

With regards to your inquiry about why people switch departments, it's almost always due to one of the following: pay/benefits, treatment or proximity to home.
Appreciate 1
davidr3447.50
      10-30-2020, 01:55 PM   #1227
davidr3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I enjoy both departments, but I will say there's more cultural/unnecessary bullshit on the Sheriff's Department than with the CHP. Sometimes the Sheriff's Department's culture purposely makes you feel like you are subpar/less of a human when you're new or on training (..e.g....custody training, patrol training, etc.). Most departments don't treat people like that. In fact, I can't really think of another department that treats people like that outside of mine. My main reason for making the transition was because I originally wanted to work Special Victims, but the defund movement may have halted that. Another reason I transitioned is because I don't want to patrol forever, and with my current department I have a ton of latitude with regards to jobs on the department. If I had gone to a police department I would have to patrol forever. I could actually leave patrol now, but our Sheriff wants us to patrol for 4 years in order to gain access to every job or be able to promote to Sergeant. I just left the CHP the end of 2017 and I had to work the jails when I first came to the Sheriff's Department. I left the jails late last year and have been on patrol ever since. I may not do 4 years on patrol to be honest, especially since I had already put in 7 years with the CHP. I like my peace of mind more than anything else. I might go to courts or another assignment and just chill.

As for the pros.....

...I would say the things in favor of the CHP are the pursuit policy, better treatment, statewide flexibility in terms of job(s)/movement, strong union, etc.

...The things in favor of the Sheriff's Department are the sheer range of jobs (...400+ jobs; many not on paper....coveted), the ability to promote really quickly because of our size, the ability to not have to be on patrol forever, strong union, you do more cop stuff/get more experience IMHO, etc.

The cons.....

...CHP: You get less experience with certain aspects of police work, the state has control over CALPERS/retirement money, the department is affected when the state cuts money, overtime is mainly sitting still watching CALTRANS work (..which is good to some people), etc.

...Sheriff's Department: The culture is absurd, up until recently we had a hard time procuring good equipment, bureaucracy/fighting between our Sheriff and the Board of Supervisors, etc.

With regards to your inquiry about why people switch departments, it's almost always due to one of the following: pay/benefits, treatment or proximity to home.
Appreciate the detail in your response! Very interesting stuff, I was truly expecting you to say something along the lines of I was tired of seeing dead bodies with the CHP. The cal trans point is a good one too, I always see CHP chilling for hours on end, what would you do to kill time lol, feel like I would lose my mind.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      10-30-2020, 02:01 PM   #1228
GOLFFRR
Rep

Drives: GOLFFRR cart

nothing but respect for you OP as you know. Appreciate you and all law enforcement

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      10-30-2020, 02:02 PM   #1229
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

As for the pros.....

The cons.....

Appreciate the detail in your response! Very interesting stuff, I was truly expecting you to say something along the lines of I was tired of seeing dead bodies with the CHP. The cal trans point is a good one too, I always see CHP chilling for hours on end, what would you do to kill time lol, feel like I would lose my mind.
Haha! I see just as many dead bodies now, but the cause is murders/drive by shootings/stabbings (...and the occasional natural death or death by 45 bee stings; the latter I had 2 months ago) rather than fatal traffic collisions.

During CALTRANS overtime it was Netflix and chill. Lol! I had an IPAD in my Crown Vic.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 03-14-2022 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 3
davidr3447.50
scostu1619.50
Murf99314114.00
      10-30-2020, 02:04 PM   #1230
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
nothing but respect for you OP as you know. Appreciate you and all law enforcement
Thanks brotha! I appreciate it! My long-time BMW manager friend/salesman just quit after over 20 years with BMW (...mother's health issues). I'll be coming to you for my next purchase if he doesn't return.
Appreciate 2
GOLFFRR10710.50
Murf99314114.00
      10-30-2020, 02:11 PM   #1231
davidr3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Haha! I see just as many dead bodies now, but the cause is murders/drive by shootings/stabbings (...and the occasional natural death or death by 45 bee stings; the latter I had 2 months ago) rather than fatal traffic collisions.

During CALTRANS overtime it was Netflix and chill. Lol! I had an IPAD in my Crown Vic.
Sheesh I can only imagine. 45 bee stings sounds like he messed with the wrong nest lol.

Caltrans overtime doesn't sound so bad after all lol
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 02:15 PM   #1232
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Sheesh I can only imagine. 45 bee stings sounds like he messed with the wrong nest lol.

Caltrans overtime doesn't sound so bad after all lol
He felt it was prudent to go swatting at bees swarming around the queen bee near his roofline. It didn't work out too well for him.
Appreciate 1
davidr3447.50