New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-27-2022, 01:26 PM   #1
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Slow cooker recipes

Up here in the mountains until the New Year, threw some chopped red onion in the slow cooker followed by country style ribs seared with meat rub, covered in Carolina bbq sauce.

Chilli & tacos are also staples in the slow cooker.

Before you tell me how awesome your Big Green Egg is, I'm more curious what you cook successfully in a slow cooker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2022, 01:33 PM   #2
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

I never did chili before but I had some frozen pulled pork from my last smoke. We tossed that in the slow cooker, some beans, and the rest of the staples and HOT DAMN the boys at work went crazy for pulled pork chili
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2022, 01:40 PM   #3
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Audi R8

Greatest thing that ever happened to keto diets.
Appreciate 1
TboneS541149.00
      12-28-2022, 12:31 PM   #4
TboneS54
YNWA
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2004 M3 6spd & 2011 M3 DCT

We are mostly keto (more my wife), and we use our instapot all the time. Pork butt with lots of garlic and onion for a cuban style or with oranges/limes and onion which we then broil to make carnitas. Chicken thighs with chile verde. Short rib. Beef chuck roast for barbacoa or colorado. Do 4-7hours of slow cooking in just 30-60minutes it's amazing.

We cook a fewpounds so that it makes 2 diners and a lunch.

So I guess I'm cheating. Not really slow cooked
NYG11590.00
      12-28-2022, 04:10 PM   #5
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

When you have time can you spell out the steps to those dishes?

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2022, 04:41 PM   #6
TboneS54
YNWA
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2004 M3 6spd & 2011 M3 DCT

Sure. Carnitas - a few pounds of boneless "boston butt" aka pork shoulder/butt

Now, you can cube it up and throw it right into the pot, and with enough time, it will fall apart, but the better method (with any meat that will be stewed imo) is to quickly sear the outsides, then into the pot.

I almost always cook in bacon grease (we cook bacon weekly), but if all you have is oil (hopefully avocado), put some in the pan (stovetop) and quickly sear the pork cubes. You're only trying to sear the outside, not actually cook the meat much at all. Pork will turn a bit greyish and keep moving it around to get every surface. Then transfer to crock pot or pressure cooker. The nice part about the pressure cooker is that the heat from quick searing will pressurize the instapot very fast and save you about 10 minutes.

I use some chicken broth (6-8oz), quartered onions, squeeze a large orange, 3 limes, dash of oregano, cumin, black pepper, fair amount of salt. Bay leaf if you're so inclined.

When done (30-45 minutes in pressure cooker for me [2-3lbs]), shred it up in a baking sheet, then slide it into the oven under the broiler. Broil high for 4-5 minutes, pull it out move the pork around, do it again 2 more times. Done. Very authentic carnitas imo.

Even better then next day when you reheat on the skillet or green pan. Don't even need to add oil, just use low heat and fat in the carnitas will continue to render and hte carnitas will get crispier.

Very similar for other meats. Chile verde is the exact same (pork or chicken), but you're using green salsa (jalapeno, serrano, tomatillos, cilantro, onion) as the liquid instead of chicken broth.

For beef, all the same, but it lends itself to a stronger flavors like red chilies (barbacoa [tomato paste/green chiles] or colorado) or red wine (short rib).

The beautiful part is the rendering of fat, esp with the chicken and pork. Don't bother trimming it, it'll liquify into flavor heaven in the slow or pressure cooker.

This could all be done on the stove top, ofc. You'd deglase the pan with the liquid, turn the heat down, but then you'd be leaving it there for the whole day - possibly dangerous. Or at least, you'd be stuck at home.

We just made tamales for Christmas, and did 8 hour pulled pork in 90 minutes in the instapot. Didn't even sear it, and it came out great.
NYG11590.00
Kilabyte3957.50
nerdogray1433.00
      12-29-2022, 07:52 AM   #7
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneS54 View Post

Now, you can cube it up and throw it right into the pot, and with enough time, it will fall apart, but the better method (with any meat that will be stewed imo) is to quickly sear the outsides, then into the pot.

I almost always cook in bacon grease (we cook bacon weekly), but if all you have is oil (hopefully avocado), put some in the pan (stovetop) and quickly sear the pork cubes. You're only trying to sear the outside, not actually cook the meat much at all. Pork will turn a bit greyish and keep moving it around to get every surface. Then transfer to crock pot or pressure cooker. The nice part about the pressure cooker is that the heat from quick searing will pressurize the instapot very fast and save you about 10 minutes.

I use some chicken broth (6-8oz), quartered onions, squeeze a large orange, 3 limes, dash of oregano, cumin, black pepper, fair amount of salt. Bay leaf if you're so inclined.

When done (30-45 minutes in pressure cooker for me [2-3lbs]), shred it up in a baking sheet, then slide it into the oven under the broiler. Broil high for 4-5 minutes, pull it out move the pork around, do it again 2 more times. Done. Very authentic carnitas imo.

Even better then next day when you reheat on the skillet or green pan. Don't even need to add oil, just use low heat and fat in the carnitas will continue to render and hte carnitas will get crispier.

Very similar for other meats. Chile verde is the exact same (pork or chicken), but you're using green salsa (jalapeno, serrano, tomatillos, cilantro, onion) as the liquid instead of chicken broth.

For beef, all the same, but it lends itself to a stronger flavors like red chilies (barbacoa [tomato paste/green chiles] or colorado) or red wine (short rib).

The beautiful part is the rendering of fat, esp with the chicken and pork. Don't bother trimming it, it'll liquify into flavor heaven in the slow or pressure cooker.

This could all be done on the stove top, ofc. You'd deglase the pan with the liquid, turn the heat down, but then you'd be leaving it there for the whole day - possibly dangerous. Or at least, you'd be stuck at home.

We just made tamales for Christmas, and did 8 hour pulled pork in 90 minutes in the instapot. Didn't even sear it, and it came out great.
Many ideas in here I will be using thank you, great info!

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
TboneS541149.00
      01-12-2023, 04:17 PM   #8
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

The regular is to buy a few lbs of cubed meat, toss that into a bit of water with garlic, tomato and salt (sometimes I sneak in some balsamic) at bedtime. Low until morning, then add some carrots and potatoes. When get home from work, add in whatever greens I can find, turned to high, and in about an hour it's grubbin time! Extremely simple, yet oh so good. A worthy substitute for the meat, and much quicker, is a bunch of beans that includes lentils.

The other one, as above, uses pork shoulder. This is more the wife's area, but with some tomatillos and various chiles, we end up with chile verde.

The final use is just water, salt, garlic, Peruvian beans. Slow overnight.
      01-14-2023, 04:24 AM   #9
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneS54 View Post

Ordering some new cookware from the green pan website, thank you for that. Ordered the LIMA MIDNIGHT CERAMIC NONSTICK 11-PIECE COOKWARE SET

Do you ever make pulled beef using chuck? Considering making more of that and using bbq sauce post cooking, just to switch it up for my boys.

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.

Last edited by floridaorange; 01-14-2023 at 07:29 AM..
Appreciate 0