New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

07-21-2020, 10:41 AM   #2399
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Outdoor gym hours: 7-11, 4-8
My work hours: 6:30-4. Gonna be tough to get there in the evening, I normally go about 7.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 06:27 AM   #2400
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by subkg View Post
Hey guys, maybe it's not a right topic, but going to ask here. Has anyone dealt with a shoulder dislocation, recovering and getting back to gym? It was a bad luck for me. During last sparring(wrestling) I felt right onto my shoulder and ended up being in the ER. Now working with orthopedic. I've been waiting so bad for gyms to be open and now, can't go there. Just wanted to hear your recovery experience etc.
If you have any hope of being 100% in the gym following your injury be diligent in the recovery process and your rehab. The worst decision you can make is getting back after it too early. Patience, patience, and more patience. I am lucky enough to never have suffered a shoulder dislocation, although I have plenty of friends that have. Even had to put them back into place a few times which is disgusting lol. Unfortunately after an injury of that caliber the chance of another dislocation is higher due to the ligaments, tendons, and other muscle fibers tearing during the process. This is why you need to be careful and slowly strengthen those surrounding fibers to ensure dislocation does not continue to happen. After the injury, depending on what your focus is, there may be some movements you will want to stay away from. Your stabilizer muscles are weakened through the dislocation, hence unsupported/unguided shoulder presses can often cause the shoulder to pop back out of socket. Snatches, clean & press, BB overhead press, DB overhead press are all relatively risky. You can minimize that risk by using smith/hammer strength machines or anything that locks the movement path in.

Just take your time, the gym is not going anywhere. As we all know, progress is the gym once to a certain point is painstakingly slow. If you do not have the patience to rehab, you will not make it in the long run!

Good luck man and hope the recovery process goes smooth!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 09:10 AM   #2401
S1nner
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2018 F15 N55, 2014 F10 N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
If you have any hope of being 100% in the gym following your injury be diligent in the recovery process and your rehab. The worst decision you can make is getting back after it too early. Patience, patience, and more patience. I am lucky enough to never have suffered a shoulder dislocation, although I have plenty of friends that have. Even had to put them back into place a few times which is disgusting lol. Unfortunately after an injury of that caliber the chance of another dislocation is higher due to the ligaments, tendons, and other muscle fibers tearing during the process. This is why you need to be careful and slowly strengthen those surrounding fibers to ensure dislocation does not continue to happen. After the injury, depending on what your focus is, there may be some movements you will want to stay away from. Your stabilizer muscles are weakened through the dislocation, hence unsupported/unguided shoulder presses can often cause the shoulder to pop back out of socket. Snatches, clean & press, BB overhead press, DB overhead press are all relatively risky. You can minimize that risk by using smith/hammer strength machines or anything that locks the movement path in.

Just take your time, the gym is not going anywhere. As we all know, progress is the gym once to a certain point is painstakingly slow. If you do not have the patience to rehab, you will not make it in the long run!

Good luck man and hope the recovery process goes smooth!
Thank you!!! I really appreciate it! Yeah, definitely taking my time. As doc said at least 6 weeks of physical therapy before I can get back there.
Appreciate 1
JP102462.00
      07-22-2020, 10:03 AM   #2402
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Seems like SOMEBODY has a lot of leg days in their near future!

First night back to the "outdoor" gym. They moved a bunch of machines and placed them all around the perimeter of the pool. Well, fuck you guys, I'm still gonna swim. That one girl, doing back extensions out over the pool, it's almost like hanging bait for a shark . . .
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 04:29 PM   #2403
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2013 135i

Went to the gym today sporting my new Bane mask. The looks I got were priceless.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 07:09 AM   #2404
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Went to the gym today sporting my new Bane mask. The looks I got were priceless.
Still hate the whole mask in the gym thing, well that really goes for masks in general. I just don't like the warm sensation on my face when I breathe, annoys me haha.

Side note:
Lifted back/triceps this morning. Shoulders/biceps yesterday. I've been eating like a hoss the last 10 days or so. Little trick of mine to cut fast. I'll eat a ton until I notice my body can keep up with the calories. Meaning I'm bloated as shit when I go to bed and wake up lean. The last 9 days or so I've been waking up relatively bloated, but this morning it looks like my body is finally catching up. So I'll start to reduce the calories and see where I end up. Also been trying to golf more, I have about two weeks until a work tournament, and I'm a trash golfer (just started last year, cut me some slack). Noticed I can swing much better when I'm at my leanest, and flexibility is better. Basically my reason for me upcoming 2 week cut haha.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 07:51 AM   #2405
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Still hate the whole mask in the gym thing, well that really goes for masks in general. I just don't like the warm sensation on my face when I breathe, annoys me haha.

Side note:
Lifted back/triceps this morning. Shoulders/biceps yesterday. I've been eating like a hoss the last 10 days or so. Little trick of mine to cut fast. I'll eat a ton until I notice my body can keep up with the calories. Meaning I'm bloated as shit when I go to bed and wake up lean. The last 9 days or so I've been waking up relatively bloated, but this morning it looks like my body is finally catching up. So I'll start to reduce the calories and see where I end up. Also been trying to golf more, I have about two weeks until a work tournament, and I'm a trash golfer (just started last year, cut me some slack). Noticed I can swing much better when I'm at my leanest, and flexibility is better. Basically my reason for me upcoming 2 week cut haha.
My gym only requires masks when entering or exiting the building. When you're working out on the floor, it's optional. They added this machine that is supposed to be scrubbing the air called AirPHX. When standing near it, the air smells of ozone/when a copier is running. Really not sure how effective it is as the box and the fan in the unit are relatively small compared to the air space it's working in.

It seems people are starting to get either comfortable with being at the gym or just fed up as I'm noticing more and more people in there now. Still not up to pre virus levels but certainly getting more packed.

On the eating front, I've always been able to lean down easily. It's bulking up that is major work for me. I swear I have to intake twice the calories of a normal person just to achieve the same results. Lately, I've felt a little bloated/gassy. Not sure if it's the dairy I've been taking in as I'm lactose intolerant. But it has me wondering if there is something more sinister going on. The symptoms are similar to those I had prior to my initial cancer diagnosis.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 08:05 AM   #2406
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Meat Suit

Was informed last night, starting Saturday, masks required in the gym. Honestly, I don't mind. I wear one for 10 hours a day already; what's another 15 minutes in a mask to stand in front of a mirror and take some selfies. I kid. I would rather wear a mask than to have them close again. Worth it.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 08:36 AM   #2407
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
My gym only requires masks when entering or exiting the building. When you're working out on the floor, it's optional. They added this machine that is supposed to be scrubbing the air called AirPHX. When standing near it, the air smells of ozone/when a copier is running. Really not sure how effective it is as the box and the fan in the unit are relatively small compared to the air space it's working in.

It seems people are starting to get either comfortable with being at the gym or just fed up as I'm noticing more and more people in there now. Still not up to pre virus levels but certainly getting more packed.

On the eating front, I've always been able to lean down easily. It's bulking up that is major work for me. I swear I have to intake twice the calories of a normal person just to achieve the same results. Lately, I've felt a little bloated/gassy. Not sure if it's the dairy I've been taking in as I'm lactose intolerant. But it has me wondering if there is something more sinister going on. The symptoms are similar to those I had prior to my initial cancer diagnosis.
Interested if that air purifier even does anything. Especially if you're in a large gym, doubt it can cover the entire area.

I'm fine with the mask, I understand the reasoning, but it is just a little annoying. Our requires the mask at all times, only during cardio is it a real pain in the ass.

Lactose can definitely do that, it's the same on my end I limit the amount of milk/yogurt I intake for that exact reason. For majority of my life I was the opposite, I can always put on lbs unfortunately. Over the last few years I've really dialed in how my body reacts, so I know how to lean out now. With that said I can't comment on the cancer symptoms, hopefully it is nothing linked to that man.
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5139.00
      07-28-2020, 12:09 PM   #2408
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Do they require that you HAVE a mask near your head, or actually WEAR it properly???

QUIT WASTING MASKS BY PUTTING THEM ON YOUR CHIN!!!!!
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      07-29-2020, 04:07 PM   #2409
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Leg day this morning. The fiance baked up an abundance of cookies on Monday, polished them off yesterday so I wouldn't be tempted to snack on them through the week lol. So hoping to reduce the calories from today until 3 fridays from now. We will see what happens.

Haven't heard from Rmtt in a little while, hope all is well man.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 10:56 PM   #2410
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Eat ALL the cookies tonight, so I don't eat them later. Have one bad glucose day then recover

Went tonight, they kicked the dancers to the parking lot and put more legs on the bb courts

It's getting busy now, I had to hover and "you done?" to get back/tri done before 8 tonight
      07-30-2020, 06:56 AM   #2411
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Eat ALL the cookies tonight, so I don't eat them later. Have one bad glucose day then recover

Went tonight, they kicked the dancers to the parking lot and put more legs on the bb courts

It's getting busy now, I had to hover and "you done?" to get back/tri done before 8 tonight
I hate waiting for equipment. Always opt for a different exercise if something is taken lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 10:39 PM   #2412
Really_fat_ninja
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2020 X5

Gym still not open
      07-31-2020, 07:15 AM   #2413
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Really_fat_ninja View Post
Gym still not open
sheesh, what you been doing in the meantime?

Have been active as shit the last couple days. Gym in the AM with either golf or yardwork after work. Have been 16,000 steps+ each day, yeah I count my steps get off my back... King Rudi lol. Prolly down 3-5lbs from Tuesday, but this was after eating like a hoss for the last 10 days give or take, so assumed I'd drop relatively quickly. Hit arms this morning, I took them out of my regimen for a little while, but I am adding them in as of lately. Golf tournament got pushed, but hoping to get a vacation in within the next two months. So that's my goal for leaning out as of now!
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      07-31-2020, 07:25 AM   #2414
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
sheesh, what you been doing in the meantime?

Have been active as shit the last couple days. Gym in the AM with either golf or yardwork after work. Have been 16,000 steps+ each day, yeah I count my steps get off my back... King Rudi lol. Prolly down 3-5lbs from Tuesday, but this was after eating like a hoss for the last 10 days give or take, so assumed I'd drop relatively quickly. Hit arms this morning, I took them out of my regimen for a little while, but I am adding them in as of lately. Golf tournament got pushed, but hoping to get a vacation in within the next two months. So that's my goal for leaning out as of now!
I'm not saying shit.

You feel the look though.

I feel the same way you do though. Aside from not making it to the gym last night,(I still did chest and tri's at home on the rings and paralletes) I've been killing it the past few weeks. Roughly between 2-4 weeks left in my cut. Length will depend on how lean I get in the next 2 weeks. Meticulously counting calories and macros, increasing weight and doing roughly 15 minutes of cardio for every hour spent resistance training. My body looks crazy! I've never looked like this in my life. Fat calipers say that I'm at 9.4% body fat but I don't trust it as I still have a little flab or loose skin or whatever it is just around the belly button, but everywhere else is ripped. Veins popping out everywhere, sadly on my forehead too but whatever, I'll take it. I'm definitely starting to feel the cut in means of lack of energy though, but I'm quite pleased with how I look. Now to finish this cut, and start a lean bulk. I'm stoked to add some more mass now.
Appreciate 1
JP102462.00
      07-31-2020, 07:34 AM   #2415
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
I'm not saying shit.

You feel the look though.

I feel the same way you do though. Aside from not making it to the gym last night,(I still did chest and tri's at home on the rings and paralletes) I've been killing it the past few weeks. Roughly between 2-4 weeks left in my cut. Length will depend on how lean I get in the next 2 weeks. Meticulously counting calories and macros, increasing weight and doing roughly 15 minutes of cardio for every hour spent resistance training. My body looks crazy! I've never looked like this in my life. Fat calipers say that I'm at 9.4% body fat but I don't trust it as I still have a little flab or loose skin or whatever it is just around the belly button, but everywhere else is ripped. Veins popping out everywhere, sadly on my forehead too but whatever, I'll take it. I'm definitely starting to feel the cut in means of lack of energy though, but I'm quite pleased with how I look. Now to finish this cut, and start a lean bulk. I'm stoked to add some more mass now.
That is awesome man! What was your starting weight, and where are you at now. I forget off the top of my head, but didn't you lose like 40lbs or some shit? This is why the gym is so damn addicting, not just from the physical aspect, but mental as well. You look great, feel great, and are proud of what you, individually, achieved. That is what it is all about!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 08:01 AM   #2416
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
That is awesome man! What was your starting weight, and where are you at now. I forget off the top of my head, but didn't you lose like 40lbs or some shit? This is why the gym is so damn addicting, not just from the physical aspect, but mental as well. You look great, feel great, and are proud of what you, individually, achieved. That is what it is all about!
When I started going to the gym I weighed 211, at my heaviest I was around 240. I'm 5' 7" and before I gained all the weight, let's cut the BS, I was F'n fat; I had always been a little guy. I had never worked out before so I was high body fat and little to no muscle. I've been in the gym for almost 2 years now and the first 8 months don't count in my opinion as I had no clue what I was doing. Barely any weight resistance and just a shit ton of cardio. I thought I was doing great as I lost weight like crazy, but realized I made myself skinny fat. After realizing what I was doing wrong and changing the pattern, 3 weeks later had a surgery and was out of the gym for 3 weeks. Got back in the gym and 2 weeks later had to have an emergency surgery and missed another 4 weeks. Got back in the gym again in January, then the gym closed for 3 months due to COVID. I've not been able to have a good solid 6 months of training since I started and now that I know what I'm doing. To answer your question I'm at 136.7 as of this morning. Kinda embarrassing to be this little, but due to my size I don't look disproportionate or anything; I'm just not fat anymore. The goal is the to be around 150-155 sitting at 10-12% bf. I've got a long road ahead of me, I know, but as long as I'm not still jiggly while adding mass, I'm ok with it. I know that I'll gain some fat on the next bulk, but I should be able to keep it at a minimum now that I have a better understanding of how to add the mass. I'm just excited to see what I look like this time next year......as long as the gym remains open.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 08:25 AM   #2417
ramman434
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: F30 335i

The last 3 weeks I've made it into the gym once a week due to fix-it projects after work each night on the new house.
So this week I've finally made it in every day, and got my mid-week leg workout in for the 1st time in forever (have at least been running throughout the weeks). My hams/glutes are killing me.
Ugh, lactid acid may be the death of me afterall. Should have run its course by the end of today, but I've felt like a 70+ year old man whenever standing up from a chair, instead of the 30 years I have lol
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      07-31-2020, 08:29 AM   #2418
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramman434 View Post
The last 3 weeks I've made it into the gym once a week due to fix-it projects after work each night on the new house.
So this week I've finally made it in every day, and got my mid-week leg workout in for the 1st time in forever (have at least been running throughout the weeks). My hams/glutes are killing me.
Ugh, lactid acid may be the death of me afterall. Should have run its course by the end of today, but I've felt like a 70+ year old man whenever standing up from a chair, instead of the 30 years I have lol
I can relate to this. For the first 15 minutes I'm awake, I'm sure I look and sound like the trees in Lord of the Rings.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 10:13 AM   #2419
ramman434
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
I can relate to this. For the first 15 minutes I'm awake, I'm sure I look and sound like the trees in Lord of the Rings.
For sure. I still sound like an Ent this morning lol
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      07-31-2020, 10:27 AM   #2420
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When I started going to the gym I weighed 211, at my heaviest I was around 240. I'm 5' 7" and before I gained all the weight, let's cut the BS, I was F'n fat; I had always been a little guy. I had never worked out before so I was high body fat and little to no muscle. I've been in the gym for almost 2 years now and the first 8 months don't count in my opinion as I had no clue what I was doing. Barely any weight resistance and just a shit ton of cardio. I thought I was doing great as I lost weight like crazy, but realized I made myself skinny fat. After realizing what I was doing wrong and changing the pattern, 3 weeks later had a surgery and was out of the gym for 3 weeks. Got back in the gym and 2 weeks later had to have an emergency surgery and missed another 4 weeks. Got back in the gym again in January, then the gym closed for 3 months due to COVID. I've not been able to have a good solid 6 months of training since I started and now that I know what I'm doing. To answer your question I'm at 136.7 as of this morning. Kinda embarrassing to be this little, but due to my size I don't look disproportionate or anything; I'm just not fat anymore. The goal is the to be around 150-155 sitting at 10-12% bf. I've got a long road ahead of me, I know, but as long as I'm not still jiggly while adding mass, I'm ok with it. I know that I'll gain some fat on the next bulk, but I should be able to keep it at a minimum now that I have a better understanding of how to add the mass. I'm just excited to see what I look like this time next year......as long as the gym remains open.
Holy shit, so you lost 100lbs. That is crazy man, good for you. 155lbs is a good goal for the time being, and you can always increase that as you progress. I have a buddy who is the same height, he weighs roughly 170 and has a mean build. So anything is possible. Also at that height your range of motion is more suited to bodybuildingesk movements. Hence once you start pushing some weight in the gym, you'll want to keep on climbing in those numbers.

I know you said you have another 2-4weeks left in your cut, but do you really think you need to cut anymore? Honest question as I don't know what you look like, but if I was in your shoes I'd start more of a lean bulk like you had mentioned. Up the weights, up the protein intake, reduce the cardio slightly. All up to you, just my two cents from an outsider looking in!
Appreciate 0