New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-20-2007, 09:15 PM   #67
theYardie
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2007 BMW 335I (e92)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrm11 View Post
LOL this thread is so absurd. I love random people giving a complete stranger advice on how much he should spend on his fiance's engagement ring. Good lord, shut up. He didn't ask if that's what he should do, he didn't ask if it was a good financial decision, and he didn't ask if you guys approved.

Plus, even if he did open it up to a msg board, have a little class and drop the "$12k is absurd! Spend $5k and no more!" garbage. Who makes the ultimate decision of "absurdity"? Why do any of you get to say $5k is acceptable? Just because you think it doesn't mean it's true.

If he thinks $12k is perfect for the freaking love of his life, then you all should respect that. Giving input is one thing, just making snide comments based on some random personal scale of what's reasonable is another.

ejazbmw, do what you feel is right and what you want. I can't believe how condescending some of these responses have been. As if you know the guy and can speak on what's best for him.
I have to agree, this thread is dumb. I'm done with it. As they say, a fool and his money will always part.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 09:17 PM   #68
Bimmer335i07
BK Employee of the month! / Moderator
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Man, most of you guys are cheapos!

3k/5k for an engagement ring???

I feel sorry for your gf/fiances/wives whatever!

Sponsored by: Pics of the ---> Barbera Beast <---
Martino Auto Concepts (Like them on Facebook MAC) Factory Trained & Authorized by BMW of North America

Matt@Camber-Toe (Like them on Facebook Camber-Toe)
LuxAngelEyes (Like them on Facebook LuxAngelEyes)
LTBMW (Like them on Facebook LTBMW)
OEMconcepts (Like them on Facebook OEMconcepts)
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 09:20 PM   #69
ward
Major General
Rep

Drives: F

I think it's funny that I flip flopped from my thoughts at the start of the thread
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 09:25 PM   #70
leechungsr
Rep

Drives: Car

I would have to have a decent income or have a decent net worth for me to consider spending that much money on a ring. I think I would have to net at least $12k/month or be worth at least $1,500,000 to even start considering a ring that expensive...

If a girl is willing to let you buy a ring that expensive, I would assume she's going to be a pretty expensive wife, with expensive kids. Get ready man

What's funny is..I don't see myself spending $12k on my wife's ring, but I'd probably buy her a nice car like a new Cayenne or something..which is just as irrational..

Last edited by leechungsr; 06-20-2007 at 09:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 09:58 PM   #71
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep

Drives: 2014 M235I

well i'll let you guys know tomorrow how things go i plan on popping the quesiton tomorrow after we go out...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 10:14 PM   #72
ettil
ugh
Rep

Drives: broken 328ix

best wishes
      06-20-2007, 10:14 PM   #73
ward
Major General
Rep

Drives: F

as long as you don't do it on the big screen at a sporting event

I was at a Warriors game this season and they put the couple up on the big screen, he asked the question and then they cut the shot and never went back to it... that must have been awkward for that guy getting turned down in front of 18,000 people!

I'm sure you'll have better luck than that guy though
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 10:17 PM   #74
duk
///M
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

My ring for my girl was 13k.
      06-20-2007, 10:19 PM   #75
r3amir
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2023 X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by leechungsr View Post
I would have to have a decent income or have a decent net worth for me to consider spending that much money on a ring. I think I would have to net at least $12k/month or be worth at least $1,500,000 to even start considering a ring that expensive...

If a girl is willing to let you buy a ring that expensive, I would assume she's going to be a pretty expensive wife, with expensive kids. Get ready man

What's funny is..I don't see myself spending $12k on my wife's ring, but I'd probably buy her a nice car like a new Cayenne or something..which is just as irrational..

+1

I agree she will be a pretty expensive wife to keep. Get ready for the future expenses, this is only the beginning. You won't be able to buy anything for yourself but you will work only for her

Good luck
2006 325i Arctic Metallic
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 10:30 PM   #76
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep

Drives: M4 i3 X3

$12k ring is freaking retarded!!! Plain and simple it's nothing but another way for a shallow guy to attempt to waggle his paycheck in public.

OR

Impress a shallow broad who NEEDS it to impress the Hens she's working for or her mildly retarded family.

Seriously $3-6k is a fantastic range. More than that and they become pretty silly and it's just a waste of money.

At the 10 year mark you can surprise her with a Holy CRAP ring...

But $12k is just plain silly and any women who just HAS TO HAVE IT, is not a women you want to be around anyway. Keep it on the more simple side, and spend the rest on the Honey moon...

If you start TOO BIG, you leave yourself in a precarious position of disappointing her by NOT out doing your last piece of jewelery.
      06-20-2007, 10:35 PM   #77
ettil
ugh
Rep

Drives: broken 328ix

And an expensive ring does not equal an expensive wife...

My ring was ~1500 (no diamond, custom made). 4 months after the wedding I was picking up a +100k car
      06-20-2007, 10:38 PM   #78
e90fanatic
Absolute0
No_Country
Rep

Drives: Has a Roundel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejazbmw View Post
soooo this kinda sucks i came to realized 2 weeks before my e92 comes in i just cant afford it now...things came up not bad things kinda a good thing i plan on asking my girl friend to marry me!! but when i saw the price tag on those rings my eyes just went i know which one she wants and its around 12kish....and before i ordered my 335 i had everything working out financially and didnt plan on buying a ring and i was just barely making out to make the payments on the 335....so i guess the story is im 335less and im stuck with my e90 im kinda bumed out about this but happy at the same time....
12k for a ring? lol...honestly i think that's one of the biggest scams by jewelers...12k that she can easily loose or not wear at all. (luckily i dont have this issue haha...)

but on the other hand...you got an e90!!! you don't really need 335 yet! good luck man!
      06-20-2007, 10:39 PM   #79
e90fanatic
Absolute0
No_Country
Rep

Drives: Has a Roundel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer335i07 View Post

lol...we know you are really nice to your wife but i still can't justify a ring that's smaller than my car key to cost over $10 grand...lol...why can't we go back to basics....plastic rings..lol j/k
      06-20-2007, 10:47 PM   #80
mach330
You don't know JACK!!!
Rep

Drives: 2011 X5 35i

i just got engaged a couple of months ago so i can tell you some specs. i got a pretty decent deal. it's really up to you on how much you wanna spend. i don't follow the two months salary rule. but for me...i wanted to get my girl a good ring that i don't have to upgrade to. why spend 5-6K on the first ring, then another 8-12K on an upgrade when you can just spend 12K the first time. that's my philosophy. but don't spend 12K cuz u feel like you have to. do what you can afford. your fiance should understand that. i was lucky enough to be able to spend 14K on mine...some specs.

1.22C
F color
VVS2 clarity
XXX cut (excellent polish, excellent symmetry, excellent cut grade).
      06-20-2007, 10:48 PM   #81
hensta
I see old people
United_States
Rep

Drives: too slow in my '08 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
$12k ring is freaking retarded!!! Plain and simple it's nothing but another way for a shallow guy to attempt to waggle his paycheck in public.

OR

Impress a shallow broad who NEEDS it to impress the Hens she's working for or her mildly retarded family.

Seriously $3-6k is a fantastic range. More than that and they become pretty silly and it's just a waste of money.

At the 10 year mark you can surprise her with a Holy CRAP ring...

But $12k is just plain silly and any women who just HAS TO HAVE IT, is not a women you want to be around anyway. Keep it on the more simple side, and spend the rest on the Honey moon...

If you start TOO BIG, you leave yourself in a precarious position of disappointing her by NOT out doing your last piece of jewelery.

Amen brotha,

I couldn't have said it any better. Listen, nobody goes into this thing thinking it's not going to last but 50% DO NOT. Let's think positive and say you are on the 50% that do live out the 'Til Death Do Us Part' promise. How do you top a $12k diamond at the 10 year mark? 20 year mark? 25 year mark? 50 year mark? You'll need to plunk down upwards of $25-50k for upgrades at that point for the upper milestones.

Around here pharmacists start at $110k right after the handshake. Now if she's a pharmacy tech she'll make 1/3 that amount. Not even the doctors I work with have $12k rings on their 4th digit and they're pulling in well in excess of $250-350k a year. Just a little perspective since you don't want to wake up some day saying "Oh Snap...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 11:03 PM   #82
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep

Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer335i07 View Post

Do you feel a little more important now? Do you feel special or somehow better yet?
      06-20-2007, 11:03 PM   #83
Mr Practical
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E90 335 - TiAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj thumper View Post
selfish females, why are they still so impressed by shiny things, I had a friend who told his future wifey, "look i can buy you an expensive ring and we can be broke for a couple of years or I could do the sensible thing and buy you a normal ring and be able to afford a comfortable life." she agreed, shes a keeper.

maybe they compare the clarity of their diamonds with their friends like we do cars, our hobby is just much cooler. ours cant fall down the sink...
Ours don't generally last a lifetime...You keep paying for a car, if you get the ring down just right the first time...believe me, it will save you money down the road.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 11:13 PM   #84
Mr Practical
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E90 335 - TiAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
you'll see a big swing on the amount spent depending on the part of the country too

in many places a 5K ring is great, in others that will get you laughed at
It's all relatrive ofcourse (price)...but If you are driving around a $50k car...and your fiance is wearing a 2-3k ring...I'm sorry but you are not doing your image any favors.

People on this board saying it's only a rock...pulease...you bought a BMW it doesn't get more frivoulous than that from other people's point of view. Cars depreciate...they come and they go. You only buy an engagement ring once and she wears it for the rest of her life. I'm not saying everyone should buy a 10k+ ring...but if you are sporting a $50k car...you better step it up.

It's similar to driving a 50k car and taking your wife/gf to mcdonald's for a date. LOL
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 11:14 PM   #85
Ryan@Motorwerks
Captain
Rep

Drives: X3M

A ring is a better investment than a car anyways
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 11:19 PM   #86
mach330
You don't know JACK!!!
Rep

Drives: 2011 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335e90 View Post
A ring is a better investment than a car anyways
word!!! diamonds is one of the better investment. if you had to resell it, you can pretty much get 90% of what you paid for. try that on a bimmer...or any car for that matter.
      06-20-2007, 11:28 PM   #87
rwwong
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2006 330i, 2008 Jeep Hemi

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I think you are making the right decision. Cars will come and go, a proposal is something special. 12k is alot, but I also bought a pricey engagement ring for my wife, and she never lets me forget how much she loves it, and how many people compliment it. She bought me rims and my E90 (both surprises) , and she relates the comments I get on my car to the ring on her finger!

Congrats!
      06-20-2007, 11:36 PM   #88
markwid
Rep

Drives: 320i

By all means find a place to purchase the ring she wants at a better price. But don't ever skim on this item.

This is and will be a source of pride for her when she is with her female friends. If it is a kick-ass diamond ring, she will continually get compliments for it and everytime that happens it reminds her that you didn't go cheap on her.

Good karma...
Appreciate 0