New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-20-2007, 08:34 PM   #45
DefBringer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 07 335i coupe

Wait, you're seriously considering buying a $12,000 ring for a girl?

You must be young.

Let me just tell you this, just because a girl has "her heart set on it" does not mean she should ever expect (key word - EXPECT) it.

I have my heart set on a Porsche 911 GT2, that doesn't mean I expect to get it.

Bottom line:

I would be a lot more concerned about the kind of expectations your future wife has a whole lot less concerned about a car.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 08:37 PM   #46
DCJAX
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: na

12k ring?

I can't understand why it's neccessary to buy such a lavish gift for marriage.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 08:37 PM   #47
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Drives: Wide Body 1

So is she cool with a 12K ring and a justice of the peace wedding? Reason I’m asking is unless her folks are going to pony up for the wedding you are just getting started. Ask any woman, especially one that wants a 12K ring, what kind of wedding they want. $20K is the low end. Trust me.

What about kids, is that next? You think the wedding ring/ ceremony is expensive?

And you don’t want to raise kids in an apartment, do you?

Dude, you can kiss that 335 good bye for a long time.. Hope you have "lived" life some.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 08:37 PM   #48
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep

Drives: 2014 M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer335i07 View Post
Congrats! You made the right decision. I can tell that you really love your gf/fiance, just because you to think about her before yourself.

You have a great car already. The most important thing is that you are happy! The next thing should be buying a house and then a better car. Just my $.02.

Congrats again man!

yeah i know alot of you guys are car crazy and would say screw that...and i was like that to but then i realized well cars are always here there not going anywhere and i dont want to miss out on a great girl....damn growing up sucks hahaha
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 08:41 PM   #49
ward
Major General
Rep

Drives: F

depends on your and her situation too, sound like she's got a good job

if you're both doing to be doing well for yourselves 12 grand may not be worth the fight and angst in the long term. If you end up waiting longer and you both start making more money, you may just have to spend 16 grand later
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 08:41 PM   #50
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magna3 View Post
So is she cool with a 12K ring and a justice of the peace wedding? Reason I’m asking is unless her folks are going to pony up for the wedding you are just getting started. Ask any woman, especially one that wants a 12K ring, what kind of wedding they want. $20K is the low end. Trust me.

What about kids, is that next? You think the wedding ring/ ceremony is expensive?

And you don’t want to raise kids in an apartment, do you?

Dude, you can kiss that 335 good bye for a long time.. Hope you have "lived" life some.

well since everyone has been asking why such an expensive ring i think i can afford it im a cpa so i make a decent amount of money...it was the ring or the car and personally my girl is way more worth then some car...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 08:43 PM   #51
Majick
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 AW/L 135i

smart, mature choice!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 08:45 PM   #52
DCJAX
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: na

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejazbmw View Post
yeah i know alot of you guys are car crazy and would say screw that...and i was like that to but then i realized well cars are always here there not going anywhere and i dont want to miss out on a great girl....damn growing up sucks hahaha

A good woman is worth way more than some car, no doubt. My only question is if 12k is an appropriate number. It's all up to you of course, do what makes you happy.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 08:50 PM   #53
theYardie
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2007 BMW 335I (e92)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphiteBrawler View Post
If you can barely afford a 335, you are in no condition to be buying a 12-13k ring, and she should be smart enough to know that. Asking you to do it anyways is selfish, and not too bring.

maybe a 5k ring, and put off the 335 for a few months?
Graphite said it best. I would say paying less on the rig is a must. There is no way you should be buying a $12k ring when you can only borderline afford a 335. Even if you don't get the 335, paying 12k for a ring in your situation is dumb. Both you and your fiance need to realize that the money you spend on that 12k jewelry (that can easily be lost or misplaced) is taking away from money you both would have to do other things, like a honeymoon or a home, or investments. I'm sure you if you both spend time shopping you can find a ring just as nice for much less.

BTW, I'm getting married in August and expect delivery of an e92 335 around the same time. My fiance is much more reasonable and understands that spending 12k on a ring for her means major cuts in the wedding and the honeymoon. There are much better ways to spend money.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 08:53 PM   #54
ward
Major General
Rep

Drives: F

you'll see a big swing on the amount spent depending on the part of the country too

in many places a 5K ring is great, in others that will get you laughed at
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 08:56 PM   #55
theYardie
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You don't have to choose between the car or the girl. You can forget the car. What you should be thinking about is how to convince her that the 12k could be better spent elsewhere. And I don't want to hear about how you are going to make a lot of money. Once you piss away that 12k you will never see it again. What some people don't realize is that once money is gone it's never replaced, it's just gone. Get her a nice ring but save some money in the process. If you really care for her you can always invest the money you saved so that you can better afford to give her a better life. You also want to have kids don't you?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 09:01 PM   #56
theYardie
Private First Class
Rep

Another thing to think about is if she is going to break up with you for not spending 12k on an engagement ring then you probably shouldn't be marrying her anyways. If she can't be convinced otherwise then you're going to be paying MUCH MORE than 12k in a couple years when reality hits you in the face. I don't want to jinx you but think about what would happen if for some reason things don't work out?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 09:02 PM   #57
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 E92 335i

If you can barely afford a 335i, 12k for a ring is absurd. Tell her about your situation and how you would barely make ends meet to get that ring, if she loves you and isn't stubborn she will understand. Get a 2k rings (more than enough) and get the 335i.

IMO any girl who ASKS for such an expensive ring for an "average" guy like yourself is being a little selfish and self-centered. But I know, you're madly in love with her and will do anything for her, in that case, what the hell right?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 09:06 PM   #58
kalch
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: Gracie:E92 335 19" S/P/FL/CA

two letters:

CZ

You'll at least get into the car whenever you want.
      06-20-2007, 09:08 PM   #59
Insider
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
why don't you take the 12K gift you are going to get from her in exchange for the ring you're buying her and put it towards your car? (joking, I know you buy the girl a ring and don't get anything in return)

it actually is selfish, but she's being greedy asking for such a pricy ring

maybe you can compromise and get her a 2-3k ring (small I know, but if she really loves you it shouldn't matter) and still get your car
+1
      06-20-2007, 09:11 PM   #60
wyrm11
///Man of Steel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Monaco 335

LOL this thread is so absurd. I love random people giving a complete stranger advice on how much he should spend on his fiance's engagement ring. Good lord, shut up. He didn't ask if that's what he should do, he didn't ask if it was a good financial decision, and he didn't ask if you guys approved.

Plus, even if he did open it up to a msg board, have a little class and drop the "$12k is absurd! Spend $5k and no more!" garbage. Who makes the ultimate decision of "absurdity"? Why do any of you get to say $5k is acceptable? Just because you think it doesn't mean it's true.

If he thinks $12k is perfect for the freaking love of his life, then you all should respect that. Giving input is one thing, just making snide comments based on some random personal scale of what's reasonable is another.

ejazbmw, do what you feel is right and what you want. I can't believe how condescending some of these responses have been. As if you know the guy and can speak on what's best for him.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 09:11 PM   #61
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg335i View Post
If you can barely afford a 335i, 12k for a ring is absurd. Tell her about your situation and how you would barely make ends meet to get that ring, if she loves you and isn't stubborn she will understand. Get a 2k rings (more than enough) and get the 335i.

IMO any girl who ASKS for such an expensive ring for an "average" guy like yourself is being a little selfish and self-centered. But I know, you're madly in love with her and will do anything for her, in that case, what the hell right?
the only reason why i could barely afford a 335 was b/c im keeping my e90 as well so that would have been two car payments i needed a sedan for the everday use... but now that im not getting the 335 i'll have some extra money so that money is going towards her ring
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 09:13 PM   #62
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrm11 View Post
LOL this thread is so absurd. I love random people giving a complete stranger advice on how much he should spend on his fiance's engagement ring. Good lord, shut up. He didn't ask if that's what he should do, he didn't ask if it was a good financial decision, and he didn't ask if you guys approved.

Plus, even if he did open it up to a msg board, have a little class and drop the "$12k is absurd! Spend $5k and no more!" garbage. Who makes the ultimate decision of "absurdity"? Why do any of you get to say $5k is acceptable? Just because you think it doesn't mean it's true.

If he thinks $12k is perfect for the freaking love of his life, then you all should respect that. Giving input is one thing, just making snide comments based on some random personal scale of what's reasonable is another.

ejazbmw, do what you feel is right and what you want. I can't believe how condescending some of these responses have been. As if you know the guy and can speak on what's best for him.

+3242309204892103

i think i needed to hear that
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 09:13 PM   #63
flush01
Major
Rep

Drives: 33m@%#ing5

Quote:
i dont get it, you're not choosing between girl and a car... so if you buy her $3k ring she will leave you or something ? of course she won't...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 09:13 PM   #64
musc
United_States
Rep

Drives: Audi TTRS, 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [10.00]
Cubic zirconia and get the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 09:14 PM   #65
so?confused
jr
United_States
Rep

Drives: 335i

12k whoa...... i'll marry u too lol.
how about u "give her" the car instead and use itfor ur selfish needs
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 09:15 PM   #66
Bimmer335i07
BK Employee of the month! / Moderator
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrm11 View Post

+1

Well written!

Sponsored by: Pics of the ---> Barbera Beast <---
Martino Auto Concepts (Like them on Facebook MAC) Factory Trained & Authorized by BMW of North America

Matt@Camber-Toe (Like them on Facebook Camber-Toe)
LuxAngelEyes (Like them on Facebook LuxAngelEyes)
LTBMW (Like them on Facebook LTBMW)
OEMconcepts (Like them on Facebook OEMconcepts)
Appreciate 0