New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

10-11-2015, 04:55 PM   #1
scoobyBMW
Rep

Drives: BMW 525i

should I fix or replace my car?

I am new to the forum but thought I would put out this question. I have a 2003 525i with about 68,000 miles on it. The car was passed on to me by a family member who didn't drive the car much for the first 7 years. I have had to do all kinds of repairs and maintenance on the car. A couple weeks ago, I had to replace the starter. Now the transmission is out and needs a replacement.

I am wondering if it's worth it to replace the transmission and keep doing the expensive repairs and maintenance. Or should I just call it quits and get rid of the car and get a new car?

If I decide to sell the car, is it better to replace the transmission first or sell it as is? The car is in very good condition otherwise.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 05:32 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Drives: M235i 6spd

What kind of price to remove repair and reinstall the transmission. Additionally what is wrong with the transmission and did you get a second opinion?

My friend had a 2003 525, the seat rails had a well known issue but the car is super comfortable with a fine interior decked out with good looking wood trim and thick leather.

So yes there is a mental chart where you have to guess the rising funds needed to maintain the car in comparison to the funds needed to buy a new car and if either the BMW is significantly cheaper or the BMW rises to new car lay out then... but I would probably stick with the 525 unless I was considering something just as comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 05:39 PM   #3
Account Closed
Smarty Pants
United_States
Rep

Drives: Sold

I would sell the car. It is going to continue giving you problems my friend. The sensors, and electronic parts start to fail after a few years. They're not too expensive, but they're more on the dollar than American or Japanese parts. If you leave the car in the heat, it will increase the chances of electronic failure, so if the car wasn't stored in a garage, then it can get worse. In addition, if the car was sitting in really cold weather or wet weather....then again, the electronic parts can already be close to going out. Heat and moisture are the two leading factors of electronic devices failing prematurely.

Try to get as much money as possible, and get yourself a new BMW if you'd like.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do, but if you can afford a new car, get a new one. Nothing better than a fresh car smell. If not, then get a (and I can't believe I'm saying this) Honda or Toyota. Parts are quite cheap for those cars.

At the end, it all depends what you want. Do you want a car that's paid off but will give you problems? Or...do you want a new car, but with payments?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 02:40 AM   #4
samandrewsone
Rep

Drives: BMW 3 series

What sort of cost to eliminate fix and re-install the transmitting. Furthermore what is incorrect with the transmitting and did you got an expert opinion from some one else.

Last edited by samandrewsone; 10-12-2015 at 02:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 11:17 PM   #5
scoobyBMW
Rep

Drives: BMW 525i

Wow! Thanks to everyone who replied! I am really new to the world of forums and posting. It took me a while to even realize I had any responses. . . . Thanks for all the suggestions.

I have already spent almost $500 for a diagnosis and transmission service. The shop is reputable AND I can't really tow the car from shop to shop for second opinions. I am being quoted about $4300 more for a rebuilt transmission. I think I am just going to go with that, since I think it's probably better to have a working car, even if I'm going to sell it. . . . Again, I really appreciate everyone's suggestions! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 06:54 AM   #6
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

an '03 525i in above average condition with less than 70K miles?!?!?!?

Find a low mileage used gearbox, service it, and put it in. I bet you could do it all for under 2K. you'd be crazy to sell that car.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 07:05 AM   #7
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyBMW View Post
I am new to the forum but thought I would put out this question. I have a 2003 525i with about 68,000 miles on it. The car was passed on to me by a family member who didn't drive the car much for the first 7 years. I have had to do all kinds of repairs and maintenance on the car. A couple weeks ago, I had to replace the starter. Now the transmission is out and needs a replacement.

I am wondering if it's worth it to replace the transmission and keep doing the expensive repairs and maintenance. Or should I just call it quits and get rid of the car and get a new car?

If I decide to sell the car, is it better to replace the transmission first or sell it as is? The car is in very good condition otherwise.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
You should be able to recycle the transmission at a scrap yard and get $250 towards the purchase of a new replacement transmission.
Appreciate 0