New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

09-19-2015, 03:12 PM   #1
rcl
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: bmw

BMW is Nickel and Diming its customers...do you agree?

I've owned my 2011 328i coupe 6mt for about 20 months now. I bought it just because I was caught up in the hype of owning a German having and having a BMW and etc. But shortly after I felt underwhelmed by it regarding what you actually get for the price you pay.

Switching gears here slightly, my 2016 Corolla LE(not the top of the line model) comes standard with rear-view camera, LED headlights, and bluetooth phone integration. The car was $16,250.

Now my friends 2016 BMW 320i cost him $35k. He had to pay $700 for the Lighting package to get LED headlights and he had to pay $900 for the Driver Assistance Package to get rear-view camera. Finally he had to pay $350 for bluetooth phone integration. Almost an additional $2k in options just to get a NEW BMW optioned as well as a basic corolla. Is it just me or should basic tech like this be included WITHIN the base msrp of a car that is a 'luxury brand' and commands more than double the msrp of my Corolla. I just feel like when you spend more money, you should get more, not get less. I know you could say well you have to pay to play blah blah blah which it true, I don't mind paying for more but it's just kind of shitty to pay more money for a 'luxury car' when it doesn't even come standard with basic options.

Anyway, your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 03:26 PM   #2
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Afaik this has been going on since the '70's, so about 40 years now.
Maybe it's because I'm european (we also get the cheaper bmw's that aren't sold in the US), but historically everything you want to have on a premium german car (merc, bmw, audi) you have to pay for as an extra.
You can get everything, as long as you pay.
Japanese cars come with better spec in base trim.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 3
      09-19-2015, 03:59 PM   #3
Biorin
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: to get cheeseburgers

At least in regards to the entry-level models, I imagine it's a lot easier to stomach $30-$40k as the price, and then justify a few extra grand here and there. If someone had told me it'd be $52k for an F30, even though it was fully loaded, I probably would have collapsed laughing. But hey, here I am.
Additionally, Japanese cars usually can't offer quite the same standard of engineering, so they've got to compete somehow.
I do agree it sucks though, especially with the little things. Why is a backup camera not standard on a damn M3???
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 04:05 PM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Afaik this has been going on since the '70's, so about 40 years now.
Maybe it's because I'm european (we also get the cheaper bmw's that aren't sold in the US), but historically everything you want to have on a premium german car (merc, bmw, audi) you have to pay for as an extra.
You can get everything, as long as you pay.
Japanese cars come with better spec in base trim.
Similar thoughts, again going back to the first 3/5 series. Standard spec' has improved over the years, but as you say, we've always had to go to the options to get a decent specified BMW.

I remember when the first Japanese cars came to the UK, we'd never seen so many standard features in cars. We were still fitting radios and an aerial, even exterior mirrors to new cars, at the dealers in those days.

I've never been under any illusion, we have to pay if we want a decent BMW.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 04:09 PM   #5
Matski
Captain
England
Rep

Drives: A slow BMW

BMW's are good value for money and come with lots of great free stuff

Said no one in the world, ever.
Appreciate 4
      09-19-2015, 04:29 PM   #6
M2BMW
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcl View Post
I've owned my 2011 328i coupe 6mt for about 20 months now. I bought it just because I was caught up in the hype of owning a German having and having a BMW and etc. But shortly after I felt underwhelmed by it regarding what you actually get for the price you pay.

Switching gears here slightly, my 2016 Corolla LE(not the top of the line model) comes standard with rear-view camera, LED headlights, and bluetooth phone integration. The car was $16,250.

Now my friends 2016 BMW 320i cost him $35k. He had to pay $700 for the Lighting package to get LED headlights and he had to pay $900 for the Driver Assistance Package to get rear-view camera. Finally he had to pay $350 for bluetooth phone integration. Almost an additional $2k in options just to get a NEW BMW optioned as well as a basic corolla. Is it just me or should basic tech like this be included WITHIN the base msrp of a car that is a 'luxury brand' and commands more than double the msrp of my Corolla. I just feel like when you spend more money, you should get more, not get less. I know you could say well you have to pay to play blah blah blah which it true, I don't mind paying for more but it's just kind of shitty to pay more money for a 'luxury car' when it doesn't even come standard with basic options.

Anyway, your thoughts?
This is why people have the power to choose. There are quite a few things in life that we don't get "our way". If the "basic options" is a priority criteria and it is not provided at a price you deem acceptable you have the choice to move on.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 06:34 PM   #7
rcl
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by m235i View Post
This is why people have the power to choose. There are quite a few things in life that we don't get "our way". If the "basic options" is a priority criteria and it is not provided at a price you deem acceptable you have the choice to move on.
Well usually life gives you what you put in. Typically success comes to those to work hard in school/jobs and make it.

With BMW's you clearly don't necessarily get more by paying more. Obviously no one is forced into buying a car. I just don't think it's right for BMW to charge so much and nickel and dime its customers for basic options. I can't support a business like that. I mean when you buy a new BMW M4, you have to get the $4000.00 executive package just to get comfort access, just to be able to start your car with the key in your pocket! Altima's and Kia's and more come with that option factory.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 06:43 PM   #8
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
I can't support a business like that. I mean when you buy a new BMW M4, you have to get the $4000.00 executive package just to get comfort access, just to be able to start your car with the key in your pocket! Altima's and Kia's and more come with that option factory.
I don't have comfort access and can start my M4 with my key in my pocket. That is not comfort access. Comfort access allows you to unlock your car with the key in the pocket.

If you don't want to pay what BMW is charging, don't buy BMW. As a business, they can charge what they want, as long as they still get the customers.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 07:07 PM   #9
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

This is the German way.

You can have the car as basic or as loaded as you want. I like having the choice.

You are paying more for a loaded version equipped the same as a Kia or Toyota because you are getting a better base car.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 07:35 PM   #10
Goody4
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Quote:
BMW is Nickel and Diming its customers...do you agree?
Yes!

Quote:
Anyway, your thoughts?
--A Toyota Corolla both sucks and blows. Rumor has it Japanese executives originally wanted to call it Yawnmobile.

--Your friend with the 320i doesn't even get the full LED lighting package; only LED headlights (which are NOT adaptive on the 320i) and LED fog lights and no automatic high beams, which the 328i and 340i get.

--Your friend with the 320i had to pay extra for power seats, too, if he has them now.

--There is no German term (at least as BMW is concerned) for "bargain" or "bang-for-the-buck".

--I paid $200 for an in-dash CD player in my 2000 328i. A lot of cheap econo-cars at that time had CD as standard.

--I paid $4000--$4000!--for a whopping 10 additional horsepower to my 2005 330i ZHP (ZHP is BMW-speak for performance package which included those 10 extra HP for a total of 235, a little more torque, and a few other goodies.) Other cheaper cars such as the Chevrolet Impala SS had more HP--240, in this case.

--Buyer's remorse is a bitch. I've had it a couple of times myself.
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2015, 08:02 PM   #11
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
If you don't like what BMW is selling their cars for or with, don't but a BMW. Get the Corolla instead. You should buy what makes you happy. There should be no buyers remorse and definitely not multiple times as stated above.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 08:45 PM   #12
M3Bimmer77
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2011.5 M3 E90 Jet Black

I'm guessing the feeling of riding a Corolla is the same as riding a 320 for you, right? Don't buy BMW. Don't spend much on cars. Bottom line you just don't enjoy it or don't feel the difference. That's ok. BMW is called the Ultimate driving machine for a reason. That's why there are ranges of price on every single product, not only on cars. Pay for what you enjoy and can appreciate. For example, I really don't see the point on spending more than 2,000 on a watch, 50 on a pair of jeans, 30 on a polo shirt and zero on a horse (don't like them) but I do feel the difference between a Corolla and a 320. Unfortunately my pocket is not very deep, otherwise I would own more nice cars. You can have this same discussion with a guy that hates Corollas and love Malibus. It's all about feeling a pond perception.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 08:04 AM   #13
ezndo
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2013 E93

Just about every option on a Porsche is a la carte, not to mention no free maintenance either........
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 08:20 AM   #14
eBlue2
Private
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2014 estoril blue M235i

Back-up cameras are optional on Rolls-Royce and navigation is optional in McLarens. That's just how it works as you move up-market. What you do get is inherently higher build quality and an advanced level of engineering that doesn't look sexy in TV commercials but significantly improves the day-to-day experience of owning a premium vehicle.
2014 EBII M235i 6MT | MP Kidneys | MP Front Splitter | MP Side Splitters | MP Rear Diffuser | MP Carbon Spoiler | MP Pedal Set | 30% Pinnacle F1 | iND Painted Relfectors | OEM Style 225m | H&R Sport | More to come...
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 10:13 AM   #15
RaslDasl
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive35i

What I don't get is buying a new BMW off the lot with options chosen by the sales manager. I got every package on my BMW and the exact color and trim option I wanted by ordering. With Toyota (and Lexus) you have to take what they pick for you. Even is Toyota NA offers a particular option or combination of options on the national configurator you may find when entering your zip that it is impossible to get in your local area. This goes along with BMW now offering 100 models. People with money will pay for choice and will pay to get exactly what they want. The 320i with the super cheap lease payments is BMWs lure to get buyers hooked when they are young and not making a lot of money. Then every 36 months they have a repeat customer who hopefully is making a bit more money and can pay for more options, more horsepower or a bigger, more profitable model. They are surely not losing money on the poorly equipped 320i leads but they are playing the long game. Part two of that game is CPO. Can't afford that new 328 optioned the way you want? Here is a really nice CPO for the price of a 320.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 10:32 AM   #16
M2BMW
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives:

Quote:
Well usually life gives you what you put in. Typically success comes to those to work hard in school/jobs and make it.

With BMW's you clearly don't necessarily get more by paying more. Obviously no one is forced into buying a car. I just don't think it's right for BMW to charge so much and nickel and dime its customers for basic options. I can't support a business like that. I mean when you buy a new BMW M4, you have to get the $4000.00 executive package just to get comfort access, just to be able to start your car with the key in your pocket! Altima's and Kia's and more come with that option factory.
Again, it is your choice. If you don't like the pricing, don't buy it and move on to your other choices. I understand your rant and it would be great if we could always get things based on our specific terms but that is not the reality or realistic.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 10:35 AM   #17
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Not being a badge whore, but your friend's 320i '= Corolla, by an enormous stretch, just because they have similar options.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 10:39 AM   #18
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Drives: M235i 6spd

Just came from a BMW tech session at a dealer yesterday. Place any 3-series up on a lift and view the drivetrain, suspension and construction from below and you may notice where your money went on top of if your 3-series is made in Germany I guess one of the top labor wage countries in the world.
But more relevant, compare a 3 series sedan to a Lexus-IS and analyze the $ to accoutrement and performance between the two and things are probably a lot closer.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 10:40 AM   #19
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Nickel and dime you is standard procedure on bigger ticket items such as cars/houses that is where all the profit is.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 11:00 AM   #20
bvanlieu
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: Alpine 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezndo View Post
Just about every option on a Porsche is a la carte, not to mention no free maintenance either........
The more popular lower germans nickle and dime. Porsche quarters and dollars you to death.

No such thing as free maintenance, just pay upfront markup maintenance. As such there is at at least 1K of additional markup on the 320 compared to the Corolla. Figure about $500 dealer pay for 4 oil changes, some wipers. Some cars will need 500-1K worth of brakes some won't so there is an equation there they run through to cover the loss.

Note: that doesn't excuse them for charging for BT compared to the corolla but hey, N-series turbo 4 pot vs pedestrian toyota grocery getter: who'd you rather?

- b
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 11:35 AM   #21
850tgul
Captain
Rep

Drives: 718 GT4, F87 M2, F30 330xi, X3

How much is the rwd layout and 50/50 weight distribution option on the Corolla?
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2015, 11:48 AM   #22
Ginger_Extract
California-bound
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bimmer77 View Post
I'm guessing the feeling of riding a Corolla is the same as riding a 320 for you, right?
Actually, having driven both, they both feel very similar behind the wheel: Dull, doughy, numb, soft, isolated from any sort of feel from the steering or suspension. The 320i was so boring to drive that I forgot it was even RWD. It didn't want to oversteer or do anything even slightly resembling fun. Closer than you think, eh?
Streets of Willow: 1:27.7 CW 11/15/15; 1:29.5 CCW 8/15/15 |||| Autoclub Speedway ROVAL (CCW): 1.52.6 - 12/2/17
Willow Springs - Big Willow (CW): 1:35.8 - 3/31/18 |||| Buttonwillow #13 (CW): 1:59.3 1/27/18
https://www.facebook.com/JakeStumphRacing |||| http://www.youtube.com/user/RaceMeMZ3
Appreciate 0