New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing

03-20-2008, 02:18 PM   #23
m3forever
Private
American Samoa
Rep

Drives: 2010 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by magmd View Post
Damn, I have been wanting to get the macbook pro for a while now....but the smallest they make is 15". I wish they would bring back the 12"...or some equivalent because I need some portability.

My Dell laptop is dying...so I may just pull trigger on the new MBP...and just deal with the size issue with a slightly larger bag. I wish I could wait...but if this thing goes....its to the Mac Store I go.

Let me know how it feels carrying this thing around.
MBP is 5.4 lbs. a lot lighter compared to my old laptop, toshiba at 7.8 lbs. Comparing to a 13" macbook its just 0.4 lb heavier which is very good.
2003 BMW E46M3 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 02:58 PM   #24
nissan
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP

Anyone have a 4lb laptop before getting the MBP? 5.2 lbs sounds a little on the heavy side despite a 1" thickness. Looking to get rid of my Fujitsu which is pretty light for a 14" screen.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 03:20 PM   #25
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan View Post
Anyone have a 4lb laptop before getting the MBP? 5.2 lbs sounds a little on the heavy side despite a 1" thickness. Looking to get rid of my Fujitsu which is pretty light for a 14" screen.
I have eaten hamburgers that weighed more than 5 pounds. Man up.

The MBP is light and should not be a problem for anyone... not even you.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 09:46 PM   #26
BMW_TT
Colonel
Rep

Drives: E92 335i

i have a MBP with upgraded 4gb of ram. smooth like butta.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 08:54 AM   #27
nissan
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP

Haha..while I'm pretty slim, it's just annoying having to carry around a heavier laptop + charger + bag. Just have gotten used to the light weight Fujitsu..the D600 I have is around 5.2 and I barely use it anymore b/c it feels bulky.

What do you do for apps? Been a Windows person for so long, never bothered to look into whether some relatively lesser known apps were avail on Mac (mirc etc.)
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 09:28 AM   #28
AJerman
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: '08 335i

Haha, I think it's funny, coming from Mustang message boards, you get a mac and everyone goes "eww, macs suck" and call you a mac *** (lol). But here everyone loves them.

I'm not going to lie, I work in computers and have used Windows all my life. I have absolutely no problem with it, but I got my Macbook and I am VERY happy with OS X. I'd say after 10.4 it becomes a great OS.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 12:14 PM   #29
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJerman View Post
I'd say after 10.4 it becomes a great OS.
It's almost always been better than Windows tbh. Hell everything innovative in Vista was just a rip of OSX. (Not that Apple/Microsoft didn't both steal ideas from Xerox way back in the day)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 12:59 PM   #30
AJerman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
It's almost always been better than Windows tbh. Hell everything innovative in Vista was just a rip of OSX. (Not that Apple/Microsoft didn't both steal ideas from Xerox way back in the day)
Now I won't go that far. Apple steals just as much from Microsoft as Microsoft does from Apple, but you know what, if that means we'll all continue to innovate, then it's for the better. So much innovation is killed because of pathetic patents from companies who are worthless in every way except for suing other companies that develop something new.

And I definitely wouldn't say that it's always been better. 10.4 was the first decent version of OS X, in my opinion, and 10.5 is by far the best they've ever made. To me 10.4 made OS X usable, and 10.5 made it enjoyable. And earlier than that it was like a big shiny toy that you just got to play around on, it wasn't really a decent OS for people who actually need to use the computer for things other than browsing the internet.

Like I said, my job is computers, I work with computers and support them all day long. I have absolutely no problem with Windows and Vista is by far the best version of Windows ever, however I was very impressed with my Macbook and OS X, finding that it's actually an OS I can use without wanting to shoot myself and go back to Windows. Linux is getting better also. It's not quite there, but it kept me using it for about 3 months last time which beats my previous record of about a week or two.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 03:37 PM   #31
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Vista is by far the best version of Windows ever

Quote:
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 05:47 PM   #32
AJerman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh, so you're one of the people who doesn't know how to use a computer and can't manage to run Vista without crashing it huh? I run Vista on my work computer, home computer, and my macbook, and not a single one of them has a single bit of instability issues. Give me one reason why Vista isn't better, and I can probably tell you where you're wrong about it, and two more things that ARE better about it. User error and driver issues are 99% of the problems found on Vista.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 05:54 PM   #33
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep

Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis View Post
Congrats man!

im very unsatisfied with my new macbook pro. i have a lot of dead pixels and they keep appearing. the thing is a couple months old
I have never heard of one having a dead pixel... You can throw the CD that came with your computer in and run a diagnostic test and one of them is a screen test that tests all colors and black/white/grey..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 06:03 PM   #34
AJerman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ View Post
I have never heard of one having a dead pixel... You can throw the CD that came with your computer in and run a diagnostic test and one of them is a screen test that tests all colors and black/white/grey..
Ahh, yes, I missed this post earlier. Apple has a VERY good policy on dead pixels. If you are having dead pixel problems, call them up immediately and get it replaced. Apple typically has very high quality screens and very rarely has many if any dead pixels.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 08:06 PM   #35
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Oh, so you're one of the people who doesn't know how to use a computer and can't manage to run Vista without crashing it huh? I run Vista on my work computer, home computer, and my macbook, and not a single one of them has a single bit of instability issues. Give me one reason why Vista isn't better, and I can probably tell you where you're wrong about it, and two more things that ARE better about it. User error and driver issues are 99% of the problems found on Vista.
It's slower, it adds no new functionality and it asks you way too many damn questions every time you try to do anything. DX10 excepted, there is absolutely no reason to use Vista over XP.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 08:16 PM   #36
calvino
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: had e90, 330i mystic blue

Garage List
2006 e90 330i  [0.00]
I love my mac, is a pain using a windows PC.

I'm not buying a windows pc anymore, mac for life
      03-21-2008, 08:50 PM   #37
AJerman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's slower, it adds no new functionality and it asks you way too many damn questions every time you try to do anything. DX10 excepted, there is absolutely no reason to use Vista over XP.
It's very arguably a LITTLE slower, and now that they have tweaked it in SP1, most of the time it's negligible on modern hardware. And don't tell me how your old computer can't handle it. Are you telling me you'd rather still be using your 286 and an OS with no features just so you can be cheap and use your old ass hardware? Or would you rather us continue to move forward with new features and innovations, and not have to spend a little money to upgrade? The computer industry isn't going to sit still because people don't feel like spending money to upgrade their computers.

It asks too many questions? Maybe for you and I, but they are trying to make it easier for anyone to use. The majority of people in the world don't know much about computers and those questions help walk them through and teach them to use more features of their computer. If you know enough that you don't need all the questions, then you should know how to turn off most of them.

And as for adding nothing new, well that's just simply not even close to true. Security for one is improved immensely in Vista over XP. Media capabilities in Vista are far superior in comparison to XP at a time when digital media is starting to take a front row to everything else. Gaming capabilities are improved, more than just with DX10. Parental controls are added, file indexing and searching is vastly improved, and most importantly, but most likely to be argued, is the fact that Vista provides MANY core improvements that will not only increase the security as I mentioned, but will also provide a platform for MUCH more stability. However, some of these core features are only available in x64 versions (which is another thing, first Windows x64 intended and ready for consumers), and some are just building blocks for the next version of Windows.

So yeah, there may not be a whole lot of shiny and pretty features that you can actually put your hands on and play with, but there are a huge number of small improvements that add up to a big update. The core is the most updated, and the least visible to the user. I could spend hours listing all the little things they've improved, but I don't even remember them all off the top of my head. My point is that Vista is by far the most advanced version of Windows, and as it matures it will get even better. Everyone loves to hate new versions of Windows when they first come out, but by the time it matures and a new version comes out, you'll be begging to stay on Vista again. To say XP is better than Vista would be just plain dumb. If you like it more, then fine, but that doesn't make it better.

Edit: Holy shit that was a big post, sorry, I got carried away and was watching basketball while I typed so I didn't realize how much I had typed up.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 08:53 PM   #38
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep

It doesn't matter what hardware you have, Vista is slower. Dunno about SP 1 since it's so recent, but framerates were rather severly impacted in games with Vista vs. XP. (My computer is far from slow thank you very much)

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 09:02 PM   #39
AJerman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It doesn't matter what hardware you have, Vista is slower. Dunno about SP 1 since it's so recent, but framerates were rather severly impacted in games with Vista vs. XP. (My computer is far from slow thank you very much)
Third party studies have shown that to be far from true. Hell, framerates were only impacted a few FPS moving from XP to Vista on most setups when it was first released. Your framerate issues are 99% of the time due to video drivers that haven't matured yet, not Vista's problem. NVIDIA specifically did a horrible job with drivers in Vista, and AMD didn't do a spectacular job themselves. Most "I hate Vista, Vista sucks" reasons are misdirected at the OS and not the real source of the problem which is third party software or hardware developers. Vista has redeveloped how software and drivers can work and access things which was long overdue, and a lot of companies are lazy and taking forever to optimize their code for Vista.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 11:52 PM   #40
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Third party studies have shown that to be far from true. Hell, framerates were only impacted a few FPS moving from XP to Vista on most setups when it was first released. Your framerate issues are 99% of the time due to video drivers that haven't matured yet, not Vista's problem. NVIDIA specifically did a horrible job with drivers in Vista, and AMD didn't do a spectacular job themselves. Most "I hate Vista, Vista sucks" reasons are misdirected at the OS and not the real source of the problem which is third party software or hardware developers. Vista has redeveloped how software and drivers can work and access things which was long overdue, and a lot of companies are lazy and taking forever to optimize their code for Vista.
Doesn't matter where it comes from. If it's slower it's slower, simple as that. Thus I won't use it.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 05:13 PM   #41
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep

Drives: 335i

WHO GIVES A SHIT. honestly if you are arguing in favor of vista you know nothing about computers.

Why would Dell and others start to offer XP again....

Why are the major fortune 500 companies mostly on windows NT and never moved to XP let alone vista..

I have 1 vista computer (home built was going to booth both XP and Vista but I cant find my XP disk..) and I only use it for my blackberry and updating a few windows only devices, other than that I avoid it like the plague.
Appreciate 0