New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

06-22-2023, 07:47 PM   #1
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Drives: Nothing

Soft top discoloration

I had my 2022 M850i ceramic coated about 3 weeks ago and have not washed it since. It rained a few days ago and I noticed some white discoloration on the edge of the fabric which has NEVER happened before. I let the detailer know and will take it there on friday for them to look at it. It might just wash off? I'll just leave it for now so they can look at it. I've never had that happen before with rain.

Rob
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 07:49 PM   #2
Westside Guy
Major General
Rep

Drives: 22 Z4 M40i, 21 228i Retired

Garage List
So you think that the ceramic coating caused this issue?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 01:08 AM   #3
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
So you think that the ceramic coating caused this issue?
I have no idea, but they did put something on the soft top. I don't think it's related to that otherwise other areas would be turning white.

I took a really wet cloth and dabbed the area, but it didn't help. Once it dried it was back to being white.

I think it's contamination of ceramic coating into the cloth material. The material doesn't look frayed or show signs of physical damage.

Rob
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 08:38 AM   #4
Westside Guy
Major General
Rep

Garage List
I initially put ceramic coating on my Z4 after I had PPF installed almost 2 years ago. Last week I had it done again as where I park at my condo my car faces southwest and is subject to very strong direct sunlight virtually all day long and the many extremely heavy rain storms that are normal in South Florida. I never noticed any discoloring on my top like you have shown in your photos after they had applied the ceramic coating on my car. My shop first applies Ceramic Pro's 9H followed by their Top Coat ceramic products.

You should inquire what brand of ceramic coating they are using when you visit and how they applied it to your M850i. If you see them putting ceramic coating on other cars when you visit check that out first and see how they do it before your discussion with the owners of the shop.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 11:11 AM   #5
chefwong
Major
Rep

Drives: X5

Rob -

Take a fine mist sprayer and spray the top....
How even is the -beading- on it.
Just to see as a baseline how consistent is the coating on the material.
I have not seen white as you speak, but I have seen -inconsistent- evens of the coating, which is not you depict or describe
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 12:02 PM   #6
Westside Guy
Major General
Rep

Garage List
I just showed your photos to the shop that did my PPF, and ceramic coating and he said it is possible that when they did the color correction the buffing pad could’ve come in contact with the soft top and caused this to happen if the person working on your car wasn’t careful. Also, they should’ve use tape to protect the top while working on the paint.
Appreciate 1
Merlin_83486.50
      06-23-2023, 12:12 PM   #7
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
You should inquire what brand of ceramic coating they are using when you visit and how they applied it to your M850i. If you see them putting ceramic coating on other cars when you visit check that out first and see how they do it before your discussion with the owners of the shop.
I contacted the shop and they said bring it down. So I did and one of the girls at the shop said it looks like polish compound. I have to drop the car off next tuesday for them to clean it up.

This shop is generally reputable, but I already told them before their attention to detail wasn't very good on this job. For example, they washed the car, but left the inner trunk area completely dirty still. They also missed applying ceramic to a part of the bumper where the trunk overhangs. Now it's apparent they have contaminated the edges of the soft top with polishing compound. If that's what it is... so stay tuned!

Rob
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 12:28 PM   #8
Josh-PA
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 991.2, n55 e88, B58 G05

i wonder if they masked the top and it is residual glue from whatever they masked it with.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 01:15 PM   #9
Westside Guy
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-PA View Post
i wonder if they masked the top and it is residual glue from whatever they masked it with.
I think that it is probably the residue from the compound they used doing color correction.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2023, 02:21 AM   #10
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
I think that it is probably the residue from the compound they used doing color correction.
Well it's kind of getting worse.

I took this photo tonight of the soft top while in a parkade. The lighting made the top look really bad. Whatever thet put on the cloth, you can see the inconsistent application.

This is obviously going from bad to worse. I think I'm just going to ask for them to remove whatever they put on there. If they can't, well they owe me a new roof then.

Rob
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2023, 07:44 AM   #11
Westside Guy
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
I had my 2022 M850i ceramic coated about 3 weeks ago and have not washed it since. It rained a few days ago and I noticed some white discoloration on the edge of the fabric which has NEVER happened before. I let the detailer know and will take it there on friday for them to look at it. It might just wash off? I'll just leave it for now so they can look at it. I've never had that happen before with rain.

Rob
Quote:
Well it's kind of getting worse.

I took this photo tonight of the soft top while in a parkade. The lighting made the top look really bad. Whatever thet put on the cloth, you can see the inconsistent application.

This is obviously going from bad to worse. I think I'm just going to ask for them to remove whatever they put on there. If they can't, well they owe me a new roof then.

Rob
First you said that you had the car ceramic coated and that there was an issue with white discoloration on the edge of the ragtop which we can all see in the pictures and now you are showing us a picture of the entire top and saying there is another issue and that was caused by inconsistent application.

This latest complaint doesn't make any sense, inconsistent application of what? Did you have them treat or clean the top with any product when they ceramic coated the paint?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2023, 06:33 PM   #12
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
This latest complaint doesn't make any sense, inconsistent application of what? Did you have them treat or clean the top with any product when they ceramic coated the paint?
They said they put a ceramic coating on the soft top as well.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2023, 06:40 PM   #13
chefwong
Major
Rep

Rob -

This is an easy fix I suppose.....the only ? is that you seem to state the edges only turn white after you wet it ?

Anyhow, detailer will probably use a heavy cleaner, remove the coating so it's one clean base. After a rinse, and visual, he still might need to attend to areas where the coating has not been removed. Once you have a -perfect- clean base, then as long as the coating is done correctly, you should be fine...

Can't speculate on the white as you did not go into further details, but the recent pic due to un even application
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2023, 10:10 PM   #14
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
Rob -

This is an easy fix I suppose.....the only ? is that you seem to state the edges only turn white after you wet it ?

Anyhow, detailer will probably use a heavy cleaner, remove the coating so it's one clean base. After a rinse, and visual, he still might need to attend to areas where the coating has not been removed. Once you have a -perfect- clean base, then as long as the coating is done correctly, you should be fine...

Can't speculate on the white as you did not go into further details, but the recent pic due to un even application
The edges turned white after it rained. They stay white when dry.

I have such a bad history with this car already that I'm just trying to not get even more frustrated as it is.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 08:11 AM   #15
chefwong
Major
Rep

Did you do a quick -fine spray- pattern with water - misting - to see the beading. Was in the same or none in the area you describe versus where you know you visibly have coating - per recent pic.

Looks you the top needs to be re-done regardless but I myself would want to know what flaws were left when you left the shop.
Do a test spot on a known white part. Take something maybe like dishwashing liquid diluted with some water and an old toothbrush. Scrub/clean some of the edge and see if you get back to clean. Once clean, rinse and let it dry. Then wet again and see what happens.

HEREIN lies the problem which is just more a OCD thing. Anything you rub, even on a minute level - you are potentially change the texture of your ragtop.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 08:49 AM   #16
Westside Guy
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The edges turned white after it rained. They stay white when dry.

I have such a bad history with this car already that I'm just trying to not get even more frustrated as it is.

Rob
It seems that you are jinxed, first you had dealer issues on your Z4 and now this. Maybe BMW has put a curse on you and you need to consider buying from a different car manufacturer?
Appreciate 0