New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-06-2020, 09:46 AM   #23
smyles
Major
Rep

Drives: '21 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
The public school system asked parents to vote on if they want distance learning or a hybrid approach. Votes were cast but the school system chose to ignore the 40% (their admitted number which with all that has happened I question if it can be trusted) of parents that voted for a hybrid approach...
If you're talking about Fairfax county, the number was close to 60%. i.e. majority of parent voted for hybrid. It should also be noted that full time in-school wasn't even an option on the survey.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 09:54 AM   #24
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
I think schools that are closed (=distance learning) for the start of the school year, will remain so for the entire year. First, they'll wait till November. Then, regardless of the election outcomes, they'll find a way to delay any decisions for another month or two. By then the regular flu season will kick in, and voila - "we can't risk... blah... blah...blah".

Interesting dynamic in DC metro area. Many parents pulling their kids from the public systems in favor of private and homeschooling, and/or trying to organize alternative 'pod' schooling. Impact of all that is becoming noticeable even to usually 'teflon' county officials, as even they realize the $$$ stream may weaken.
Your first point is why I along with my daughter's mother decided to put her into the full program at a private school. Because these fools still haven't quantified the exact criteria that they deem appropriate to open. And those that have have set the bar so high it's unrealistic. Requirements that never were put in place when this virus wasn't around and the flu was the big issue.

On your second point, I really hope this movement continues and it holds these official accountable. Because the only thing they understand is $$$$. And when parents are given the right to apply public funds that normally would automatically go to public schools to private institutions, they'll wise up quickly. And parents can't just sit waiting for these idiots to figure it out. In the case of the private school I put my daughter in, they only had 3 slots left when the announcement went out about going full virtual. The school required a full term commitment if we enroll her. If we knew that there was a realistic timeline/benchmark that the public school would open up, then we may have waited. But the vagueness of their criteria to open up forced us to commit to just pulling our daughter out for the entire year. This is the same situation facing other parents entertaining the private school option.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 09:54 AM   #25
jmack
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: OG M2, E70 X5M

I think our district has pretty sensible approach, we are starting hybrid with kids coming in 2 days per week and virtual the remaining days. Special ed students can come to school up to 4 days if desired. Parents can also opt out and keep their kids virtual full time.
Appreciate 1
Hawkeye2069.50
      08-06-2020, 09:55 AM   #26
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
If you're talking about Fairfax county, the number was close to 60%. i.e. majority of parent voted for hybrid. It should also be noted that full time in-school wasn't even an option on the survey.
Loudoun.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 09:59 AM   #27
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Here 76% of the largest district voted for a hybrid approach but the DM Superintendent is an idiot and went 100% virtual for all levels.

I think the kids really need the interaction and not having in person school is going to just hurt the underprivileged kids WAY more than the affluent ones. I am sure that domestic abuse will also continue to be under reported as well.
This is exactly right. The younger the kids the more they need to be in the classroom for proper development. Even more so if the kids have special needs. All of this is being ignored by the idiots in charge. This is why I bit the bullet and put my daughter into private school. Financially, it's going to hurt but I'm doing my job as a parent to ensure my daughter gets the proper education. As I said before, I'm just fortunate that I can afford to do this. The vast majority of families are not in this position and I feel for them. Not to mention even if there is money available to provide parents choice, the number of slots at private schools are limited.
Appreciate 1
Hawkeye2069.50
      08-06-2020, 10:18 AM   #28
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

I am in an interesting place with all of this having two children (twins) in the 6th grade and a wife that is a 7/8th grade teacher. One element not yet mentioned in here are the countless tears my wife has shed trying to create an entire environment conducive to the level of education she was able to provide in her classrooms. She leads a team of 5 and all have mentioned tendering their resignations. To be clear, they would all like to be back in the classroom, but are being forced to do the hybrid which is causing them sometimes three to four times the work load.

It is difficult for me to tell her to continue to push on and work three times harder for a fraction of the pay I receive. I have told her she should stay the course for the kids, but I wish for her sanity to matter more and that she can resign if she chooses. We both know that now is not the time to quit.

Bottom line, the teachers are struggling and with the terrible pay, worse support and non existent plans, the burden falls even harder in their laps.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      08-06-2020, 10:27 AM   #29
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
I am in an interesting place with all of this having two children (twins) in the 6th grade and a wife that is a 7/8th grade teacher. One element not yet mentioned in here are the countless tears my wife has shed trying to create an entire environment conducive to the level of education she was able to provide in her classrooms. She leads a team of 5 and all have mentioned tendering their resignations. To be clear, they would all like to be back in the classroom, but are being forced to do the hybrid which is causing them sometimes three to four times the work load.

It is difficult for me to tell her to continue to push on and work three times harder for a fraction of the pay I receive. I have told her she should stay the course for the kids, but I wish for her sanity to matter more and that she can resign if she chooses. We both know that now is not the time to quit.

Bottom line, the teachers are struggling and with the terrible pay, worse support and non existent plans, the burden falls even harder in their laps.
My wife is also a teacher that believes kids need the support and has volunteered to be in person as we are "low risk" and not really worried by this virus.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 2
DYoung32.00
      08-06-2020, 10:29 AM   #30
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Drives: 2006 S2000

Domestic abuse is a huge concern too.

If you dont want to go to school, you can stay home, but schools should open. Do some classes outdoors, open windows, make sure classrooms have proper ventilation etc.

Our daycare is opening in September, but I hope its not going to be some clown show with masks and sanitizers. Don't even get me started on those sanitizers lol. I dont know what they put in them, but that shit is toxic. No wonder so many are getting recalled
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
Hawkeye2069.50
      08-06-2020, 10:33 AM   #31
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: ZL1, Raptor

I am very conflicted and frustrated by all of this.

I have 3 kids (5, 7, 10), and my wife has a 'pre-existing condition' (hospitalized twice because of an immune response, almost didn't make it out once) also of note, we live in the SF Bay Area, while 'we' have not been hit really hard by the 'Rona it is around.

We have been part of a very good private school that the kids love. The school is going hard to reopen, doing everything you can imagine, they bought a disinfecting robot for around $90k, going to keep the kids in 'pods' of about 10, etc. If anyone can do it right they can, they have the resources, and the space.

I was shocked that my wife was ready to send them back to school, we have been quarantining pretty aggressively, I go to work (my own small office/shop) but that is it.

At the last minute she got cold feet about the whole idea of sending the kids back, and long story short the school will not offer an online only learning program for the year (we were willing to 'over pay' for it for a year so we didn't lose our spot).

She didn't want to be part of the 'experiment' and we know there will be start and stop, and if anyone is exposed there will be a 2 week quarantine etc, she also has a friend who works at the health department in another county, who said the cases in children are higher then we would be lead to believe (with unknown long term effects), and she is keeping her kids out of school.

At the end of the day, what the kids will be missing out on is the experience, but with masks/distancing/no interaction they won't be getting the experience that we want for them even if they are in school.

On a personal level, I support anyone who want to get back to 'normal' don't be foolish, but live your life. For now, we can't hangout, we have a condition in our house that requires extra caution. Hopefully we can all get on the other side of this thing soon. 2020 can eat sh*t.
Appreciate 2
Hawkeye2069.50
osukf0964.00
      08-06-2020, 10:50 AM   #32
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep

Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post

Thanks for sharing your experience. I truly wish your family the best.

That being said... I am long past being sick of hearing teachers complain that their job is so burdensome, and that they're not getting just compensation. Did they not research what the position entails? They already get months off every year, and get off every day that even hints at a holiday. Teachers also usually have a gold plated benefits and retirement package. Plus teachers qualify for additional fringe benefits (like affordable housing, or special loan rates) we suckers in the private sector can only dream of.

I won't even get into the bullshit the teacher unions pull like "we'll come back to work when you defund the police."

In my experience teachers took their job because they wanted a schedule that was conducive to being home a lot. That's probably why they appear so surprised that there's more actual work involved than they expected.

Teachers: Your country needs you to show up for work. You're essential; act like it.
      08-06-2020, 10:54 AM   #33
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
I am very conflicted and frustrated by all of this.

I have 3 kids (5, 7, 10), and my wife has a 'pre-existing condition' (hospitalized twice because of an immune response, almost didn't make it out once) also of note, we live in the SF Bay Area, while 'we' have not been hit really hard by the 'Rona it is around.

We have been part of a very good private school that the kids love. The school is going hard to reopen, doing everything you can imagine, they bought a disinfecting robot for around $90k, going to keep the kids in 'pods' of about 10, etc. If anyone can do it right they can, they have the resources, and the space.

I was shocked that my wife was ready to send them back to school, we have been quarantining pretty aggressively, I go to work (my own small office/shop) but that is it.

At the last minute she got cold feet about the whole idea of sending the kids back, and long story short the school will not offer an online only learning program for the year (we were willing to 'over pay' for it for a year so we didn't lose our spot).

She didn't want to be part of the 'experiment' and we know there will be start and stop, and if anyone is exposed there will be a 2 week quarantine etc, she also has a friend who works at the health department in another county, who said the cases in children are higher then we would be lead to believe (with unknown long term effects), and she is keeping her kids out of school.

At the end of the day, what the kids will be missing out on is the experience, but with masks/distancing/no interaction they won't be getting the experience that we want for them even if they are in school.

On a personal level, I support anyone who want to get back to 'normal' don't be foolish, but live your life. For now, we can't hangout, we have a condition in our house that requires extra caution. Hopefully we can all get on the other side of this thing soon. 2020 can eat sh*t.
This is definitely a very individual decision.

From my side, I'm the poster child of the high risk group for this virus. I've been through two cancers and currently am dealing with two cardiac conditions. None of this was due to me being a lazy slob. I work out and many are shocked to find out I'm turning 50 this year when everyone has me pegged to be in my 30's. Plus the ex is working as a nurse in a hospital. Have I put my life on hold? No. Am I stupid with how I conduct my life? No. It just shocks me how weak many people are that don't have the list of conditions that would put them at risk freaking out about this virus. If any of them had to go through even a portion of my life they'd be useless after a few days. I still see my daughter and have no problems with her going to school with the off chance she could bring the virus home to me. For me it's about her.

As to the stats about kids getting infected. This is another sore point for me. There really needs to be a further break down on the stats for infection of kids. You can't just lump all kids 18 and under in one stat. There has been credible discussion that the younger the kid the less susceptible they are to this virus. I feel the stats should be broken up into 11 to 18 years old and 10 and under.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 10:56 AM   #34
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Are you serious? Well, I think the nurse should be covered under the liability insurance of the school or at least the nurse should be. When I was doing volunteer EMS work, I was covered by my station's liability insurance and layered on top of that was the Good Samaritan Law.
The school district as a whole was sued, not the nurse directly. They did have insurance, but the fact that this woman still won (she apparently has a history of frivolous lawsuits) is the reason why school districts are scared shitless of parents.

It's a combination of this fear as well as board members who have been there for 40 years and don't want to change anything that might jeopardize their positions which keep public schools from progressing forward.
Appreciate 2
zx10guy5139.00
Hawkeye2069.50
      08-06-2020, 11:22 AM   #35
smyles
Major
Rep

Drives: '21 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post

Teachers: Your country needs you to show up for work. You're essential; act like it.
Yeah, it's hard not to get frustrated when you go to the county school system FB page, read all those praises and thanks for not opening, etc. and then how many of those are from the teachers themselves.

I'm sure there are teachers who are willing to return, care about kids, etc., and are hostages of the system, but they seem to be in minority.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 11:44 AM   #36
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep

Drives: A Car

It depends. My two oldest children from my first marriage went to public school. While it was a small school, the hallways will always be cluttered and there will always be children going in who may or may not have symptoms. I personally would not want my kids going into school, but I do think without school in person their education will be effected negatively so it really is tough. Luckily my youngest just finished high school this last year, but he did miss out on many fun senior activities and spending time with his friends at school. He went to private school and I believe they plan on doing a hybrid system of in person and online with kids only going in on different days, but the tuition will likely still be expensive. He was going to go away for college this year but decided he would rather save the money if he won't get the "college experience" and is taking a gap year while taking some online classes and still working his job part time at the dealership.

Honestly I am very glad my kids are all grown and able to be independent, I can't imagine what hardships parents of pre-school and elementary aged children have right now.

I saw on twitter that one school in Georgia opened for one day and was then shut down after cases occurred of kids contacting the virus.

I have a friend who is a Baltimore City School teacher and she is worried for some of the kids, because without school they are stuck at home in unhealthy environments and risk even further going to the street and getting involved in dangerous situations.
      08-06-2020, 12:09 PM   #37
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

My sisters day care only closed for about 6 weeks. They reopened to essential workers first (her husbands a fireman & she works in the cath lab) and have been fully open since June. They haven't had any issues with needing to close. My 6 year old nephew starts 1st grade tomorrow (public school).

In Orleans and Jefferson Parish, it's a shit show with schools right now. A lot of parents have kids in school in both parishes. Our public schools aren't the greatest so a lot of private school options. Each private school has its own option on how it wants to open. Orleans Parish is staying virtual until after Labor Day. There are talks of encouraging parents to pack lunch. Also, eating in classrooms and no recess. For younger kids, how do they get their energy out? I don't see the benefit of locking kids in a classroom all day.

One lady I was talking to yesterday is a nurse (single mom). She has to leave her 6 year old home(virtual learning) with her teenager (virtual learning). Who is supposed to teach the 6 year old while the teenager is supposed to be doing class? A lot of parents are extremely stressed trying to balance work with uncertain school schedules. Before and after care is either not an option or very limited.

My 14 year old niece was moved from a small French immersion school in NOLA to a large middle school in South Florida. She's very shy and was just starting to make friends & then Covid hits. She will now start 9th grade virtual in a new school again. She cried a lot when she was in town a few weeks ago because she hasn't had a chance to make friends. She stays in her room most days. She said do you know how hard it is to wake up and motivate yourself & not know anybody to motivate you. Just not what you want to see kids experiencing. It makes me sad for her because I look back at that age hanging with my friends & having fun.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      08-06-2020, 12:23 PM   #38
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience. I truly wish your family the best.

That being said... I am long past being sick of hearing teachers complain that their job is so burdensome, and that they're not getting just compensation. Did they not research what the position entails? They already get months off every year, and get off every day that even hints at a holiday. Teachers also usually have a gold plated benefits and retirement package. Plus teachers qualify for additional fringe benefits (like affordable housing, or special loan rates) we suckers in the private sector can only dream of.

I won't even get into the bullshit the teacher unions pull like "we'll come back to work when you defund the police."

In my experience teachers took their job because they wanted a schedule that was conducive to being home a lot. That's probably why they appear so surprised that there's more actual work involved than they expected.

I have to say, you and I feel much the same way. Both my wife and I work hard and are very tired of hearing incessant demands from the teachers every year or so, where they hold the kids (and us) hostage until their demands are met. Don't like it - find another job. If there are no teachers left, the government will raise the pay to attract them.

I know there are good teachers, I've had a few myself, but it just seems like they are more and more in the minority.

We have decided to send our kids to a private Christian school and the first will be going this September. The quality of education and experience should be much better than the public schools, and we are hoping we won't deal with all the strikes to the same degree as well.

We're just fortunate that our government has decided elementary schools are opening full time (not a hybrid) in September, so it should be back to school as normal. High schools are on a hybrid approach though.
Appreciate 3
      08-06-2020, 12:32 PM   #39
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

What’s insane that every person posting here is like completely opposite of what the news pounds 24/7. It’s almost like the news is pushing their own agenda and trying to make everyone believe the majority agree with them.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2020, 01:02 PM   #40
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Meat Suit

My opinion here shouldn't even be considered as both of my kids are now adults and I haven't had to deal with the school system for a few years now, however; locally, I foresee our schools closing quickly. I give it less than 3 months before they are closed.

All the prior posts share very good points. The biggest issue that keeps crossing my mind is the children themselves. Being a parent, think about it for a second. When your child sneezes/coughs, how do they go about it? It's almost as if they are mini, living, breathing biological weapons - germ-bombers if you will. Almost like they intentionally try to spread as many airborne germs as they possibly can, all while acting like anyone who tells them to cover their mouths is conspiring against them. Trying to control other people's children, especially when it comes to hygiene, is like trying to control someone else's pet. Now cram a few hundred of them under one roof.

.....yeah....3 months tops, and that's me being generous. For those that thought the BLM protests were bad, just wait. This shit is going to blow up like a new sex doll owned by a virgin with an iron lung.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
What’s insane that every person posting here is like completely opposite of what the news pounds 24/7. It’s almost like the news is pushing their own agenda and trying to make everyone believe the majority agree with them.
Would they really do such a thing?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 01:18 PM   #41
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 335d

What seems to be missing from so many discussions is thoughtful consideration of the 'other side of the coin'. Read about this teacher and what happened to her and her family. It's this kind of scenario and outcome that any reasonable teacher or admin can't help but be concerned over: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-also-n1233672

P.S. Since NBC is the source, there will be some embedded editorializing masquerading as reporting. Please avoid that and try to just get the facts of what happened.
      08-06-2020, 01:40 PM   #42
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDiner View Post
What seems to be missing from so many discussions is thoughtful consideration of the 'other side of the coin'. Read about this teacher and what happened to her and her family. It's this kind of scenario and outcome that any reasonable teacher or admin can't help but be concerned over: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-also-n1233672

P.S. Since NBC is the source, there will be some embedded editorializing masquerading as reporting. Please avoid that and try to just get the facts of what happened.
Few points - assuming everything in the article is factually true:

1. They were teaching a virtual classroom...no kids. The got it anyway.

2. They admit they have no idea how it was contracted - doesn't mean the classroom...most likely they didn't since how could they? Rather they or their family members picked it up in public, infected the rest of them, and then their colleagues.

3. The one that died was high risk, not all teachers have underlying conditions. I don't believe teachers are inherently better than any other member of society or deserve special protection. Everyone else is being asked to do their jobs. So should they.

4. If that's the approach teachers want to take, I better not see them out in public then, since that's at least as unsafe as being in school right? They better be sheltering at home, having food delivered, not sitting on a patio somewhere, or walking about enjoying their day while everyone else struggles to balance, meanwhile collecting their pay out of our pockets. If they're going to talk the talk, they better walk the walk then too.

Can you read between the lines and tell how fed up I am with all the leeches out there (and I'm not referring to teachers here, I'm referring to everyone who doesn't want to work, but does want to keep collecting money)?
Appreciate 2
kscarrol8775.50
zx10guy5139.00
      08-06-2020, 01:45 PM   #43
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDiner View Post

Yup, this is also a factor the school boards are taking into consideration. Easy for someone to say "the teachers know what their job entails" or "I don't care about the virus", but what about others, especially those at risk? Do they not deserve safety or the ability to work? My mom is a recent cancer survivor, her immune system is absolute shit right now. She works as a special ed teacher in a school. Fortunately she doesn't have to work, as my dad can probably take care of both of them, but many are not in that scenario.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 03:04 PM   #44
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Drives: 2006 S2000

Low risk people should go back to work, high risk people should have a choice (stay home, wear N95 mask etc). Same with kids and families. Kids are low risk and they shouldn't suffer.
I mean look at all "essential" places that are open and have been open, people work. In fact people work and make less money than the ones that sit home due to unemployment and $600 per week bonus
Appreciate 0