New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

06-01-2020, 09:52 AM   #45
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep

Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
See my post on your other thread. You have long since passed the line where you need to be communicating via written correspondence with the dealer.
Believe you me. Lawyers are involved now. Every thing is being documented. Work orders, receipts, phone calls, VMs, etc are all collected, collated, and forwarded.

Like I said. F**k them and their sh*tty customer service. F**k them and their sh*tty product. F**k them and and their inability to build something that can last more than 5,000 miles.

In the grand scheme of things, my struggle with GM is meaningless. But man I am beyond frustrated NOW.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      06-01-2020, 11:07 AM   #46
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Believe you me. Lawyers are involved now. Every thing is being documented. Work orders, receipts, phone calls, VMs, etc are all collected, collated, and forwarded.

Like I said. F**k them and their sh*tty customer service. F**k them and their sh*tty product. F**k them and and their inability to build something that can last more than 5,000 miles.

In the grand scheme of things, my struggle with GM is meaningless. But man I am beyond frustrated NOW.
Let us know how it turns out. It’s amazing to me that relatively large businesses like dealers can have such a toxic corporate culture in today’s information age, but I’m not naive to the fact that they exist in that state.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 01:36 AM   #47
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep

Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

whats shocking about this is that they rebuilt your motor and did not replace it on a 1.5 year old vehicle. WTF is all that about Maybe you should have taken it to another dealership. Get rid of that POS and get yourself a Porsche or ///M and enjoy.
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 10:55 AM   #48
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports View Post
Get rid of that POS and get yourself a Porsche or ///M and enjoy.
Huh??? Do you not recognize the ///M car in Hack's original post?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 11:01 AM   #49
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep

Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports View Post
Get rid of that POS and get yourself a Porsche or ///M and enjoy.
Huh??? Do you not recognize the ///M car in Hack's original post?
Oh I Do, I meant another one lol
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 12:31 PM   #50
383vett
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2012 X3 Xdrive35

I have a C7Z06 and love the car. You have a lemon and shouldn't have let them go this far. You are a very patient man. I just lemoned my 2018M40i because of a vibration issue. The car was in the shop 4 times and a total of 39 days (30 is the threshhold). The process was very easy. No lawyers involved and BMW was very accommodating. I ended up getting all but $2000 on a car over 2 years old with 19000 miles. I wouldn't have accepted the new crank motor on such a new car. Good luck.
Appreciate 2
      06-02-2020, 04:37 PM   #51
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Also I know your experience sux, and GM needs to pay. But it's hard not to love a Vette. Hope when this is all behind you, you can enjoy one again.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      06-02-2020, 11:46 PM   #52
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Also I know your experience sux, and GM needs to pay. But it's hard not to love a Vette. Hope when this is all behind you, you can enjoy one again.
Lol. It’s easy for me now. 3 months without the car. Now that the lawyers are involved, and car back at the dealership, I FULLY expect GM and dealership to just sit on the car and become unresponsive.

After all, what incentive do they have at this point to fix the car and fix it right? I think GM is just going to sit on their asses on both fixing the car and the buy back, because there’s zero obligation on their part to expedite anymore.

Another 90 days to fix this new issue? They’re still on the hook for a lemon regardless. Why rush to get a car fixed that they’ll have to buy back?

It’s EASY not to love a Corvette, especially if you have to deal with half the sh*t I had to deal with. Sure, the car’s fantastic for its value. But the Corvette fanboi’s codependent relationship with the brand and GM basically means GM can get away with whatever, as evident with the 8 speed auto’s problem on the C7.

You get what you pay for.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 09:05 AM   #53
The HACK
Rep

There MAY be light at the end of the tunnel. Dealership called and said they’ve requested GM send a new crate engine for replacement.

Appreciate 1
519.E82243.00
      06-09-2020, 11:43 AM   #54
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: ZL1, Raptor

Quote:
There MAY be light at the end of the tunnel. Dealership called and said they’ve requested GM send a new crate engine for replacement.

I had to do the stupid dance with GM on my ZL1, nothing major but a CEL kept coming on, the regional rep got involved etc, they had the car for 2 or 3 weeks one time, and week another time, and a couple days one time. In the end it was just a stupid little sensor that was freaking out.

It was irritating, but nothing like what you are dealing with. Just with the experience I had I can only imagine how bad it would be with a REAL problem like yours.

That was part of the reason that I leased the ZL1, it was a great car, but I returned it last Saturday.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 02:41 AM   #55
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

It took ages, but at last a right decision! Hope you have it back and with a new motor soon.

Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      06-11-2020, 03:34 PM   #56
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
It took ages, but at last a right decision! Hope you have it back and with a new motor soon.
Ugh. I think at this point it's just a delay tactic. Dealership and GM has gone radio silent again.

We're now up to 3 month for the initial engine tear down, a total of 13 weeks, plus 2 more weeks into the SECOND attempt at fixing the car with...

NO END IN SIGHT.

Dealership is useless. GM customer service is useless. The corporate response team is useless.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 04:01 PM   #57
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Major thumbs down for how GM dealer and customer service have handled this. They should buy the car back at this point. They have owned for the the last 3 months.

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 04:53 PM   #58
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Time to blast it on social media and one of those local tv consumer on your side groups
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 05:59 PM   #59
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: E91 330d

Quote:

Been following this thread for a while now...really crappy situation, and they're handling it so badly! Sorry it's happening to you.

Since you have lawyers involved, and you're past the threshold for lemoning it...why not just go ahead and do that? Sure, GM/dealer would drag their feet...but do you even want that car back at all now, built by that dealership? Personally, I'd jump at the chance to force a buy-back!

Also, getting hassled about it at home "I told you so" etc is the icing on the cake. Happens to me sometimes too. Makes my blood boil instantly! You're clearly calmer than I am, so I hope you're managing to deal with that better than me too!

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 06:47 PM   #60
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Been following this thread for a while now...really crappy situation, and they're handling it so badly! Sorry it's happening to you.

Since you have lawyers involved, and you're past the threshold for lemoning it...why not just go ahead and do that? Sure, GM/dealer would drag their feet...but do you even want that car back at all now, built by that dealership? Personally, I'd jump at the chance to force a buy-back!

Also, getting hassled about it at home "I told you so" etc is the icing on the cake. Happens to me sometimes too. Makes my blood boil instantly! You're clearly calmer than I am, so I hope you're managing to deal with that better than me too!

Good luck
Just because a lemon law buy back litigation has been initiated does not absolve GM of their obligation to FIX THE GAWD DAMN CAR under warranty. Just because the threshold for lemon law has been met, doesn’t mean it’s resolved immediately and I get my money back by leaving the car at the dealership.

As it stands, even IF GM agrees to buy the car back, it can take another 3-6 months before a check is cut and I return the car. As of right now, there’s a 3 month back log of motions at the civil courts and our motion to compel GM to buy back probably won’t be be heard for another few weeks at the earliest.

Judging by those facts, my lemon law buy back process probably won’t conclude until the latter half of the year. And while I share my lawyer’s confidence that this will be resolved in my favor, resulting in a full lemon law buy back, life is full of surprises, and frankly I am still paying for insurance and registration in Cali for a car I own but can’t drive.

AND IT IS GM’s OBLIGATION TO HONOR THE WARRANTY AND FIX THE CAR. And I am holding GM accountable for the contract to sell me a car that runs, and warrant the car’s operation for a fix duration.

Lemon law or not, they need to fix the car. Especially with how they’re dragging their asses on buying the car back. If they’re going to take forever, and wait for a judge to compel them to follow the law and their obligations, then I want the f**king car fixed and back in my hands to enjoy while they drag this sh*t out.

Because I paid for it.
Appreciate 3
unluky7465.00
XMetal1096.50
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      06-12-2020, 01:12 AM   #61
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Fair enough, you're absolutely right.

Supposing they do fix it and somehow all is good, can you still lemon it subsequently, based on what's happened so far?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 09:45 AM   #62
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Fair enough, you're absolutely right.

Supposing they do fix it and somehow all is good, can you still lemon it subsequently, based on what's happened so far?
Based on my conversation with the law firm, it is but a foregone conclusion. The only options for GM now is to buy the car back, or offer me some sort of settlement that satisfies me.

The law is on my side.

Fact is, GM did make a settlement offer. They offered me $xx,xxx, in exchange I keep the car, it never goes into buy-back, title never exchange hands. That’s all well and good, if they chose to repair the car promptly and fix it right in the first place.

Instead, it took them 3 months to authorize a repair by simply replacing the bearing, crank, and a couple of pistons and pretend that solved the issue. Had they swapped with a new engine, and got it all done say, just a hair past the 30 cumulative days in the shop, I might have been compelled to mull over said offer.

Instead, they chose the most asinine way of “fixing” the car and continue to skirt their obligations. So at this point I’m demanding the car be fixed and fixed right, AND also exercise my right under the law by demanding they buy the car back.

I don’t think I’m being unreasonable, right?
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      06-12-2020, 10:07 AM   #63
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Gotcha. Yes, make them work for it!

Also send them an invoice for the cost of insurance etc while you've been unable to drive your car
Appreciate 3
RM72870.00
XMetal1096.50
Rmtt8206.00
      06-19-2020, 12:53 PM   #64
The HACK
Rep

4 months later, GM finally authorized a full engine replacement.

Penny wise, pound foolish. Had they just simply authorized an engine replacement in the FIRST PLACE, car would be back in my hands within 30 days (or just a hair over 30 days) and I wouldn't bother pursuing lemon law if it's 4-5 weeks, as all this COVID stuff makes a delay inevitable.

But 4 months later, they spent all that money to get the engine torn down, plus tech time, plus hassle on my part, reassemble with 2 new pistons, new crankshaft, and new bearings, ONLY to eventually have to replace the engine ANYWAY. I love to know what the thinking process is from the dish*t who thought this would save anyone time and money, instead of just dropping off a new crate engine on a 5,000 mile car.

Any other manufacturer, IMO, would take one look a the request and work order and authorized an engine replacement up front. Only GM I suppose. Make me not feel very warm and fuzzy about the new mid engine C8, especially when it comes to issues with that car needing ANY sort of major repair on the transmission, transaxle, and anything involving the engine.

If they can't fix a simple front engine layout and took 4 month to disassemble the engine and put it back...imagine the amount of mental gymnastics that'll be required from your average dealership tech to deal with a cramped, compact space in a rear engine layout with a V-8 and a transaxle shoved into it.
Appreciate 2
wdb4673.00
      06-19-2020, 02:10 PM   #65
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Seriously that is a concern, damn never thought of that.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 02:27 PM   #66
wdb
dances with roads
Rep

Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

This reeks of incompetence, worst of all by the person swinging the wrenches. It may or may not have been a lemon at the start, but at this point in time it certainly is. I would not take this car back from them on a bet if it were me.

Sorry this happened to you.

Last edited by wdb; 06-19-2020 at 09:19 PM..
Appreciate 0