New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

09-26-2011, 11:41 AM   #1
Hamster12011
Reading Motor Trend doesn't make you an expert.
Canada
Rep

Drives: 11 135I (sold) 10 M6 (current)

135 to M6. Thoughts after 2 months.

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Having owned 2 135's since 2008, it is fare to say that I am a huge fan of the little car. However when the chance came up to own one of the last M6 coupes brought into the country, the price was right and I couldn't pass it up. The M6 has been one of my favorite M models for a long time and now that I finally have one, I don't regret it one bit. This car rocks! After two months of daily driving I never tire of taking the car to a remote back road and letting the car stretch its legs. The sound of the V10 at full chat is amazing and is almost worth the cost of the car alone. The interior layout is great and for a big car, it seems to wrap itself around you and feel smaller then it is. ( On the open road )
I love the head-up display and it reminds me of my cousins corvette. I think all performance cars should have this feature. That being said, it isn't perfect and although I will no doubt be flamed for saying this, in some ways the 135 is a better all around package as a sporty street car then the M6. As I mentioned above, the car feels small on a highway or back road, but in the city, it suddenly becomes enormous. Parking it is much more of a chore then the 135 and it is much more difficult to get in and out of as the doors require much more room to open when parked next to other cars. The SMG tranny took some getting used to. I find myself almost always using manual mode as when in fully automatic, this transmission feels dumbwitted and jerky. Almost as bad as the gearbox in my wifes Diesel Smart Fortwo she has and that is a truely horrible gearbox. But I am learning to understand its sweet spots and with each drive I seem to like it more and more. In general day to day driving the car does not seem any faster then the 135 and although the M6 is a much faster car, in real life I like the 135 better as the low end and mid range pull in that car always put a huge smile on my face and the M6 just doesn't have that as it makes it's power more in the top end range. On a freeway on-ramp merge or overtaking on a higway... The 135 is way more fun because you just don't expect it to be as fast as it is and it also drinks half the fuel doing so. Lol. The brake feel on the M6 is very good, although they do feel a bit softer then the hard bite that the six-pot 1er brakes have and they do seem to fade just a tad after sitting in stop and go traffic for a while which is something I never felt in the 135. Overall quality is the same on both cars. The interior has better materials as to be expected, but a BMW is a BMW no matter which model and I can't notice any far and away differences in paint quality or door gaps, etc. I am still waiting to take it to a track day in which there I feel that I will love this car more then I allready do, but until then those are my feelings on the two cars. If I had the room in my garage, I would still have my 135 for my daily driver and use the M6 for weekend or evening duties. They are fantastic cars and have a huge respect for both of them.

Last edited by Hamster12011; 09-26-2011 at 11:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
Hula-Hula
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Drives: ♥

?
      09-27-2011, 07:19 AM   #3
phil_
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: Panamera Turbo S

I recently made a similar switch (From an 08 335xi to an 08 m5). Car had 40,000km and was selling for less than 50% of MSRP. I couldn't pass it up. I don't miss the 335 at all.

Gas mileage is horrendous, I average 18L/100km or 13MPG and I love every minute of it. I've put almost 20,000km in 6 months and I work from home...

The sound is to die for. Reving a V10 over 8000rpm brings a smile to my face everyday.

The steering wheel feel is awesome. You really feel connected to the car, road. Having an adjustable suspension is nice too. Throttle response is instantaneous.

I was hoping to find a manual but they're really rare in Canada. I had read quite a few reviews saying the SMG was better suited to the car and decided to try it out. I didn't have any problems adjusting to it. I've never used D mode, always in 500 Sport, MDM, S5.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 09:41 PM   #4
nonexistant
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: 335d

Bigtime
Appreciate 0