Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-13-2019, 04:14 PM   #45
Savageenterprise
Lieutenant
United_States
564
Rep
494
Posts

 
Drives: 2018 340i xdrive
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Out and about

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I'm a young guy, 29 y/o and I get looks all the time. I do well for myself so it's not like the car is out of my means or that I'm living paycheck to paycheck to have this car...

One time in particular stands out. I was driving on the parkway, regular cruise speed in the middle lane and I pass some guy in a 90's mercury who was in the right lane. As everyone does in driving you regularly check your mirrors right?

So I look in the mirror and the guy driving that 90's mercury literally was making the handjob motion and flipped me off before he exited. Literally because I was on the road. IDK if it had to do with my age, the car I was driving or the combo of the two but you could see the hate in this guys face.

Like what did I even do to deserve that? I wasn't going 100 MPH, I was like 5 car lengths behind the car in front of me just cruising
__________________
"You can't deposit excuses"

2018 340ix 6MT//BSM//Coral Red int//Alum Dark Carbon//19 in 704M double spoke Orbit Grey OEM wheels//CF side mirror caps//CF trunk lid spoiler//Dinan mid pipe res delete//BMS intake//Active Autowerke A8//Gloss Black M style grills//IND BSM Reflectors
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2019, 04:19 PM   #46
BadContrakt
Private First Class
53
Rep
117
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 335XI
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageenterprise View Post
I'm a young guy, 29 y/o and I get looks all the time. I do well for myself so it's not like the car is out of my means or that I'm living paycheck to paycheck to have this car...

One time in particular stands out. I was driving on the parkway, regular cruise speed in the middle lane and I pass some guy in a 90's mercury who was in the right lane. As everyone does in driving you regularly check your mirrors right?

So I look in the mirror and the guy driving that 90's mercury literally was making the handjob motion and flipped me off before he exited. Literally because I was on the road. IDK if it had to do with my age, the car I was driving or the combo of the two but you could see the hate in this guys face.

Like what did I even do to deserve that? I wasn't going 100 MPH, I was like 5 car lengths behind the car in front of me just cruising
Yeah that sounds about right. Lmao the handjob part got me laughing.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 05:59 PM   #47
Germanauto
Colonel
Germanauto's Avatar
United_States
3127
Rep
2,911
Posts

 
Drives: BMW, Lexus
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NW, SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Nobody will know the exact reason.

I spent 4 yrs in metro Detroit and never felt any animosity, but I hung around the educated and wealthier areas where you'd see non-American cars with some regularity. I drove like a major douche too.

Pro tip: don't engage with angry drivers. You never know who's got a gun and/or has absolutely just lost their marbles. Don't give the finger, don't make eye contact, just go about your own business.
__________________
Make BMW Great Again
Appreciate 4
      06-13-2019, 05:59 PM   #48
rlmesq
Major
782
Rep
1,209
Posts

 
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chico, CA

iTrader: (0)

Some people are just provoked by nice cars that threaten their fragile egos.

Years ago, I had a Mustang GT convertible and every idiot on the road wanted to pass me, race me, or do something stupid... even if I was just going with the flow of traffic in the right lane. I don't notice the same thing with my BMW, but there are still occasional idiots.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 06:01 PM   #49
rlmesq
Major
782
Rep
1,209
Posts

 
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chico, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadContrakt View Post
What's this animosity all about? Does anyone notice this? Is it because I'm in a BMW or do they do this to anyone in any brand vehicle?

Maybe they think you're some kind of homa-sex-shul because you drive one of them commie cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 06:11 PM   #50
dtla1
Major
dtla1's Avatar
296
Rep
1,207
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Silicon Valley

iTrader: (2)

Not any type of harassment here but; Drivers on my daily commute in Silicon Valley just plain suck at driving.

I've only been up here for about 3 months but everyday I see people wandering out of their lanes, sitting at a light that has turned green for 5+ seconds before I have to honk at them (avg perception-reaction time is 2 seconds, 1.5 seconds really but lets be a little lenient), when approaching an intersection with a green light they'll brake as if deciding whether they might need to continue straight or make a turn, etc.

I see this everyday!!! I don't know if it's driver age, people's general knowledge of driving, or what the hell contributes to this but it's obnoxious.

My biggest pet peeve recently is when a light turns green, and the cars in front of me (let's say I'm the second in line for easy visualization, I understand long lines of cars make it so that it takes longer for everyone to get up to speed because of their shitty perception-reaction times) take easily a mile to get up to the speed limit. It's outrageous that a civic apparently can't do 0-45 mph in less than a mile.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 06:56 PM   #51
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
natahoa's Avatar
United_States
183
Rep
785
Posts

 
Drives: x5 40i 2019
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Rural Eastern MD (Eastern Shore/Delmarva)

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageenterprise View Post

So I look in the mirror and the guy driving that 90's mercury literally was making the handjob motion and flipped me off before he exited. Literally because I was on the road. IDK if it had to do with my age, the car I was driving or the combo of the two but you could see the hate in this guys face.

Like what did I even do to deserve that? I wasn't going 100 MPH, I was like 5 car lengths behind the car in front of me just cruising

He is old, driving a junker, and probably has no life, or money. He probably has never made a good decision in his life and canít figure out why life is hard.

Of course he hates you. He hates everyone.

These are the kinds of people who scare me. He probably has a gun in the seat next to him. And a bottle of bourbon.

I keep a VERY close eye on wack jobs like that. Make SURE he doesnít follow you anywhere.

If I even suspect someone might be be following me, I make a few turns away from my destination. Iíll never stop or get out of the car until that person is LONG gone. And I never pull into my driveway either.

Usually Iím just being paranoid. Itís worth a trip around the block. Better safe than sorry.
Appreciate 3
      06-13-2019, 07:36 PM   #52
JM98
Second Lieutenant
154
Rep
295
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: May 2016
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

this is actually a real thing.... didn't experience it until I relocated from Southern California to TX
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 08:00 PM   #53
webmeezer
Cat Herder
webmeezer's Avatar
United_States
134
Rep
44
Posts

 
Drives: 2018 M240xi
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 M240xi  [0.00]
I see something similar here in rural VA. Seems "everyone" wants to race you. Just today coming back from the gym, some kid in his Ford F150 sees me and then accelerates and blasts past.. Amusing...
That said, occasionally when I go to Charlottesville, some guy in his BMW M(x) pulls up and wants to show me he can blow my M240 away... So I guess it works for both sides.. (I can guarantee you I don't look like I want to race).

Funny thing, when I lived in Wyoming, I never got any grief in my Z car (other than not being able to drive it 8 months out of the year). When I moved out of state the police actually stopped me to say goodbye (they don't have a lot of sport cars in Green River, Wyo )...
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh5216.50

      06-13-2019, 08:01 PM   #54
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
natahoa's Avatar
United_States
183
Rep
785
Posts

 
Drives: x5 40i 2019
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Rural Eastern MD (Eastern Shore/Delmarva)

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM98 View Post
this is actually a real thing.... didn't experience it until I relocated from Southern California to TX
Very real. Might be worse in Texas (everything bigger, including Ďtude) but trust me, those dudes are everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 08:02 PM   #55
McLarenBMW
Banned
Canada
0
Rep
21
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E90 330i 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

I was outside working my shift one day and I noticed an E60 5 series parked outside while I was walking around. I stopped to admire it for a few minutes and I saw a black woman leave her house to walk to her shitbox SUV but along the way she stopped at the E60 and it looked like she swiped her hand across the rear passenger side door. I think she may have keyed the car

Last edited by McLarenBMW; 06-13-2019 at 08:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 08:51 PM   #56
sean2648
Second Lieutenant
sean2648's Avatar
United_States
86
Rep
247
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 335i
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Hagerstown

iTrader: (5)

should have grabbed a pic of her and left your number on that persons car. stupid woman.
__________________
'15 335 M Sport 6MT /// FBO /// Custom Tune /// Custom Interior

Instagram /// Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 09:12 PM   #57
Germanauto
Colonel
Germanauto's Avatar
United_States
3127
Rep
2,911
Posts

 
Drives: BMW, Lexus
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NW, SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLarenBMW View Post
I was outside working my shift one day and I noticed an E60 5 series parked outside while I was walking around. I stopped to admire it for a few minutes and I saw a black woman leave her house to walk to her shitbox SUV but along the way she stopped at the E60 and it looked like she swiped her hand across the rear passenger side door. I think she may have keyed the car
What a loser.
__________________
Make BMW Great Again
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 09:22 PM   #58
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
5217
Rep
13,069
Posts

 
Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Sure, let's go with that.
He tried that one on me too, about a year ago...
__________________
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent10394.50

      06-13-2019, 10:59 PM   #59
McLarenBMW
Banned
Canada
0
Rep
21
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E90 330i 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean2648 View Post
should have grabbed a pic of her and left your number on that persons car. stupid woman.
I was watching from across the street at about 40ft away, I have less than perfect eyesight so I couldn't even see her face. I also couldn't pull out my phone and take a picture in 2 seconds
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 11:16 PM   #60
NYG
Captain
NYG's Avatar
United_States
521
Rep
675
Posts

 
Drives: 2019 M4 CS
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Brooklyn, NY

iTrader: (0)

This is what happens every time I'm in upstate New York.

White trash gonna white trash. They think their American cars made in Mexico and Canada are American.

People are envious no matter which way you want to spin it.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto3127.00

      06-14-2019, 08:33 AM   #61
ferizzo
Private
45
Rep
52
Posts

 
Drives: 2016 BMW 550xi M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: New York City

iTrader: (0)

This is true and not BMW related. I've had two incidents where some asshat had roadrage...

1) guy followed me home and we had a healthy discussion. I was scared he might have a gun but I think once I got out he was scared too because I was not what he expected. I was in college at the time and not small. I was too naive to drive around the block a few times like someone advised earlier.

2) some dude didn't like that I passed him and he tried to return the favor and I didn't let him. Mind you, I didn't pass him aggressively (IMHO). So the next chance he had he just side swiped me. I was so pissed but luckily pulled over like a half mile further from him and called the cops to report the accident. He was found at fault and luckily nothing more happened. This was a Canadian but happened in CT. Guess that's how hey drive up there, eh.

Watch out for the crazies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Pro tip: don't engage with angry drivers. You never know who's got a gun and/or has absolutely just lost their marbles. Don't give the finger, don't make eye contact, just go about your own business.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto3127.00

      06-14-2019, 11:35 AM   #62
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
E90SLAM's Avatar
Hong Kong
1412
Rep
61,722
Posts

 
Drives: A BBS WHORE
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: .

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by danchee View Post
Wait till you experience the passive aggressive Seattle drivers. They leave space that's just a little bit smaller than your car can fit in. You signal and they either keep that space or speeds up just a tad to make the hole smaller, then hold that space. You slow down to try to get behind? They slow down.
Sounds like SoCal Prius drivers....
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 12:36 PM   #63
tracer bullet
Lieutenant Colonel
tracer bullet's Avatar
United_States
650
Rep
1,805
Posts

 
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Saint Paul, MN

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadContrakt View Post
I think your jealousy conclusion makes a lot of sense.
I doubt it. Here's what I think - you have a BMW, and what that leads to is that you are a snob, you are from the Twin Cities, you are a commie leftie, and you are personally responsible for whatever it is that is keeping their lives from being awesome on any particular day. The more they hate something in their life the more they hate you.
Appreciate 3
      06-14-2019, 02:16 PM   #64
Germanauto
Colonel
Germanauto's Avatar
United_States
3127
Rep
2,911
Posts

 
Drives: BMW, Lexus
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NW, SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danchee View Post
Wait till you experience the passive aggressive Seattle drivers. They leave space that's just a little bit smaller than your car can fit in. You signal and they either keep that space or speeds up just a tad to make the hole smaller, then hold that space. You slow down to try to get behind? They slow down.
Prius and Subaru Outback drivers are a menace here. Self-righteous hippies if you ask me.

The amount of left lane camping here is insane. Combine that with the low speed limits EVERYWHERE and narrow roads and you have a place with the slowest drivers in the nation.
__________________
Make BMW Great Again
Appreciate 1
danchee53.00

      06-14-2019, 02:19 PM   #65
Savageenterprise
Lieutenant
United_States
564
Rep
494
Posts

 
Drives: 2018 340i xdrive
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Out and about

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadContrakt View Post
Yeah that sounds about right. Lmao the handjob part got me laughing.
Honestly the only thing to do is laugh about it ha
__________________
"You can't deposit excuses"

2018 340ix 6MT//BSM//Coral Red int//Alum Dark Carbon//19 in 704M double spoke Orbit Grey OEM wheels//CF side mirror caps//CF trunk lid spoiler//Dinan mid pipe res delete//BMS intake//Active Autowerke A8//Gloss Black M style grills//IND BSM Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 02:20 PM   #66
Savageenterprise
Lieutenant
United_States
564
Rep
494
Posts

 
Drives: 2018 340i xdrive
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Out and about

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post

He is old, driving a junker, and probably has no life, or money. He probably has never made a good decision in his life and canít figure out why life is hard.

Of course he hates you. He hates everyone.

These are the kinds of people who scare me. He probably has a gun in the seat next to him. And a bottle of bourbon.

I keep a VERY close eye on wack jobs like that. Make SURE he doesnít follow you anywhere.

If I even suspect someone might be be following me, I make a few turns away from my destination. Iíll never stop or get out of the car until that person is LONG gone. And I never pull into my driveway either.

Usually Iím just being paranoid. Itís worth a trip around the block. Better safe than sorry.
Facts. I always am checking my mirrors and I would notice if someone is following me. Definitely the steps to take for sure
__________________
"You can't deposit excuses"

2018 340ix 6MT//BSM//Coral Red int//Alum Dark Carbon//19 in 704M double spoke Orbit Grey OEM wheels//CF side mirror caps//CF trunk lid spoiler//Dinan mid pipe res delete//BMS intake//Active Autowerke A8//Gloss Black M style grills//IND BSM Reflectors
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST