New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Closed Thread

11-15-2022, 08:46 AM   #1
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Please pay attention when you drive

Many on here know me for my automotive content, but this is one story I wish I didn't have to write.

On November 17, 2021, my wife was hit by a car while crossing the street in front of our home. The story I share this week isn't about steel and rubber, but flesh and bone.

Like all my stories, a car is involved. Do we condemn it, or the driver?

Each year, over 140,000 pedestrians are treated in emergency departments for nonfatal crash-related injuries. Another 8,000 are killed. I won't let my wife simply become another nameless statistic. This is her story.

https://machineswithsouls.com/2022/1...hen-you-drive/
Attached Images

11-15-2022, 08:58 AM   #2
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep

Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Read the whole thing. Well, i scrolled down first until i saw the part where you said your wife will recover, before backtracking. Thank goodness for that.

Looks like the driver didn’t learn his lesson, but i hope other people read this and actually pay attention.
Appreciate 4
3.0L8937.00
Buug95917411.00
      11-15-2022, 09:10 AM   #3
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
So sorry you had to go through this - absolutely horrifying. I felt the emotion coming through your words.

I always make it a point to never speed through residential areas. And yet I see others doing it all the time and it makes no sense to me. As much as I absolutely hate speed bumps, it's a sad reality that they might be necessary because people simply can't be trusted.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 6
Mosaud19983940.50
3.0L8937.00
Dino GT35134.50
2000cs3502.50
      11-15-2022, 09:44 AM   #4
Dino GT
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: BMW

Thanks for sharing your wife`s story.
If there`s one think that I do all the time is slow down when I come into a residential area and pay attention to the road. You never know when someone is going to cross the road, or when a child comes running from behind a car. I sometimes do 30km in a 50km zone, when there's cars parked on both sides of the street.

Last edited by Dino GT; 11-15-2022 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 3
      11-15-2022, 10:52 AM   #5
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2013 135i

Sorry about what your wife, you, and your daughter has gone through. Having done EMS in the past and still vividly remember a call where we had to load and go with a pedestrian struck by a cab driver, I know all too well the injuries that result from this.

Personally, there's more to this problem. It's the entitlement of driving being a right and not a privilege. Licensing in this country is a sheer joke. Make it harder for people to get their license by ensuring they have the proper skills and needing to work at getting something, will usually make one appreciate holding on to that privilege.

For the poster that mentioned having speed bumps in residential areas, yes, that can be a solution. But be aware what side effect that will have. Emergency response vehicles will have to slow way down to get over said bumps. I haven't ridden in an engine, squad truck, or aerial tower. So I don't know how it is in those units. But I have both been in the back of a ambulance/medic unit and as a driver. In those units, you absolutely have to slow way down due to how the suspension is set up for the back cab area. So this WILL add more time to responding and leaving the call. This is particularly a big deal when there is a patient and crew in the back actively working a patient. Depending on what is happening, may require the unit to come to a full stop and wait till the Medic or EMT is done what they need to get done before proceeding over a speed bump. And it's already challenging doing chest compressions on an arrested patient going over "normal" streets. Imagine adding in speed bumps into the mix.

Last edited by zx10guy; 11-15-2022 at 10:58 AM..
Appreciate 2
      11-15-2022, 11:49 AM   #6
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Dude, you are an amazing writer. I felt like I was right there in the streets with you. If you dont mind me asking, what hospital did she end up at?
Your neighborhood resembles where I grew up in NJ.

So glad she's going to be OK
Appreciate 2
      11-15-2022, 11:53 AM   #7
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-G View Post
Dude, you are an amazing writer. I felt like I was right there in the streets with you. If you dont mind me asking, what hospital did she end up at?
Your neighborhood resembles where I grew up in NJ.

So glad she's going to be OK
Thanks Tommy - I'm in Old Bridge, and we went to Robert Wood Johnson.

There's another hospital that used to be called Raritan Bay if you're familiar with the area that's much closer, but given the severity of the injury it was best to go to a dedicated trauma center.
Mosaud19983940.50
      11-15-2022, 12:18 PM   #8
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

This is the first time I've come across the OP. What an eloquent writer you are, I was totally engrossed in your story. Your OP actually made me afraid for you the way it was written and w that photo...I was hoping it was not that and as I read your story, I was relieved to learn that it was 'only' a leg accident (ofc, that is still absolutely horrible but I'm glad it was not the worst-case one).

Like many ppl here, I am totally dismayed/angry/puzzled/disgusted whenever I see excessive speeding, especially when it is in residentials, parking lots(!) and other places where it's congested and/or has more ppl. I simply don't get it, are they being timed to complete a distance for crazy $$$$$ by some imaginary fairy? I also think "ya, they do that because they are somehow still lucky not to be involved in a gruesome accident", then I read about your wife's assailant in his MB *still* driving like an idiot. I can't even....

He sucks. The law sucks. The ppl who you tried to reach out to who did nothing suck. I don't know why they don't make it harder for these idiots to keep doing the same dangerous actions?

I'll always remember a similar story a few years back. It was day time, clear visibility, low speed limit since it was a residential/school area and in fact in front of a school so there must have been school signs all over the place, yet, somehow, this idiot girl ran over a kid while pulling away from a stop sign (what???)....how the hell did that happen, was the kid invisible??!! The father was waiting at the other side of the road, and sadly I bet he is torturing himself every day why he didn't cross the street to get him because the kid unfortunately didn't make it. I don't even think she was charged at all as it was ruled a freak accident.

Guys, heed OP's story/advice, gotta slow down, it's just not worth it.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 2
      11-15-2022, 12:23 PM   #9
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
This is the first time I've come across the OP. What an eloquent writer you are, I was totally engrossed in your story. Your OP actually made me afraid for you the way it was written and w that photo...I was hoping it was not that and as I read your story, I was relieved to learn that it was 'only' a leg accident (ofc, that is still absolutely horrible but I'm glad it was not the worst-case one).

Like many ppl here, I am totally dismayed/angry/puzzled/disgusted whenever I see excessive speeding, especially when it is in residentials, parking lots(!) and other places where it's congested and/or has more ppl. I simply don't get it, are they being timed to complete a distance for crazy $$$$$ by some imaginary fairy? I also think "ya, they do that because they are somehow still lucky not to be involved in a gruesome accident", then I read about your wife's assailant in his MB *still* driving like an idiot. I can't even....

He sucks. The law sucks. The ppl who you tried to reach out to who did nothing suck. I don't know why they don't make it harder for these idiots to keep doing the same dangerous actions?

I'll always remember a similar story a few years back. It was day time, clear visibility, low speed limit since it was a residential/school area and in fact in front of a school so there must have been school signs all over the place, yet, somehow, this idiot girl ran over a kid while pulling away from a stop sign (what???)....how the hell did that happen, was the kid invisible??!! The father was waiting at the other side of the road, and sadly I bet he is torturing himself every day why he didn't cross the street to get him because the kid unfortunately didn't make it. I don't even think she was charged at all as it was ruled a freak accident.

Guys, heed OP's story/advice, gotta slow down, it's just not worth it.
Thank you .

I try not to think about what might have happened, but I feel as if it's something we will all deal with in my family for a long time to come.
      11-15-2022, 12:28 PM   #10
Mosaud1998
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 BMW 540

Garage List
2019 BMW 540  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post

There's another hospital that used to be called Raritan Bay if you're familiar with the area that's much closer, but given the severity of the injury it was best to go to a dedicated trauma center.
Wow, that is crazy. I was born at that hospital back in 1998.
      11-15-2022, 12:37 PM   #11
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thank you .

I try not to think about what might have happened, but I feel as if it's something we will all deal with in my family for a long time to come.
I also realized/assume? that that prick is probably a neighbor since you saw him again. What an idiot.

Anyway, hope your wife gets better and you guys have a nice upcoming holiday.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2022, 01:55 PM   #12
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Quote:

I grew up in Westfield/Cranford and Belmar for the summers. I know Robert Wood very well, spent some time there myself.
Just glad she's OK
Appreciate 2
      11-15-2022, 05:41 PM   #13
3.0L
Colonel
Rep

Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Many on here know me for my automotive content, but this is one story I wish I didn't have to write.

On November 17, 2021, my wife was hit by a car while crossing the street in front of our home. The story I share this week isn't about steel and rubber, but flesh and bone.

Each year, over 140,000 pedestrians are treated in emergency departments for nonfatal crash-related injuries. Another 8,000 are killed. I won't let my wife simply become another nameless statistic. This is her story.

I'm very sorry to hear what happened to your wife and I wish her a rapid and complete recovery. And you and your daughter, too (thinking of PTSD).

Your link story is incredibly well written and I sincerely hope folks take it to heart.

And not to hijack your thread, I think it is appropriate to speak to pedestrians who "run" red lights and jaywalk. Unlike your wife who was doing everything right, the pedestrians who ignore red "do not walk" lights and who jaywalk are not only risking their lives, they are selfishly involving a law-obeying driver who although may not be at fault in auto/pedestrian accident, will be still be involved with police reports; insurance claims; possible law suits, etc. I see this behavior several times a week in our little berg. I've personally had many close calls with pedestrians who jaywalk without looking and run red lights. Fortunately from them, I was paying attention.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 3
      11-15-2022, 05:43 PM   #14
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
I nearly got hit while jogging.

Stop at the end of the road people, especially at intersections where it's hard to see what's coming!

I'm sorry about what OP's wife had to go through.

This story has made me decide not to take the little side path that does not have a sidewalk near the street anymore. I will now cross the street and run using the sidewalk when running.
Appreciate 2
      11-15-2022, 05:44 PM   #15
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
Quote:

I'm very sorry to hear what happened to your wife and I wish her a rapid and complete recovery. And you and your daughter, too (thinking of PTSD).

Your link story is incredibly well written and I sincerely hope folks take it to heart.

And not to hijack your thread, I think it is appropriate to speak to pedestrians who "run" red lights and jaywalk. Unlike your wife who was doing everything right, the pedestrians who ignore red "do not walk" lights and who jaywalk are not only risking their lives, they are selfishly involving a law-obeying driver who although may not be at fault in auto/pedestrian accident, will be still be involved with police reports; insurance claims; possible law suits, etc. I see this behavior several times a week in our little berg. I've personally had many close calls with pedestrians who jaywalk without looking and run red lights. Fortunately from them, I was paying attention.
You're 100% correct, and the phone is just as bad here. How many times do you see people's faces buried in their phones as they walk down the street, oblivious to the world?

But, I will say that the person walking can't kill anyone, while the driver of the car can. Overall, as I tell my daughter, no matter where you are or what you're doing, always pay attention to what's going on around you.
3.0L8937.00
      11-17-2022, 10:13 AM   #16
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Audi R8

I'm just happy your wife is ok, bro!

I think one of the most difficult tasks in life is accepting inherent risks of convenience/freedom and being prepared, alert, and mitigating that risk. It's not always possible but it's something we as a society silently accept.
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2022, 10:41 AM   #17
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
I'm amazed too, do they not care about their own lives? I see pedestrians just walking across only looking straight. It's incredible. ...and don't even get me started on cyclists. I don't think I saw ONE law-abiding one, they always do some squiggly thing at the red lights and cross anyway. Never once did I see one stop there properly if they had an opening to cross despite the red.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 08:07 AM   #18
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep

Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Mike, thanks for sharing. I'm so glad that Corryn is doing well. Best wishes for you all.

Michael
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2022, 09:19 AM   #19
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Drives: '13 135i

The unfortunate part is, an enthusiast forum already knows this. You need to figure out a way to get this to the general public.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 10:03 AM   #20
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
The unfortunate part is, an enthusiast forum already knows this. You need to figure out a way to get this to the general public.
Absolutely not true. Have you been to a car meet recently? You can find clips all day from bad behavior on the street. Last year an M3 driver died in New York from reckless driving.

We in the car community tend to think we're invincible.
      11-20-2022, 10:53 AM   #21
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Absolutely not true. Have you been to a car meet recently? You can find clips all day from bad behavior on the street. Last year an M3 driver died in New York from reckless driving.

Nope. Quit doing that a decade ago when I saw assholes in Lambo's blowing by us on the highway on the way to a fun road. I took the next opportunity to make a U-turn and leave the drive.

Don't use "we" it's a small subset of assholes. And if they already act like, do you think a post on a forum that they likely won't see is going to do anything?

I'm happy your wife is doing well and will recover.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 11:15 AM   #22
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Quote:

Nope. Quit doing that a decade ago when I saw assholes in Lambo's blowing by us on the highway on the way to a fun road. I took the next opportunity to make a U-turn and leave the drive.

Don't use "we" it's a small subset of assholes. And if they already act like, do you think a post on a forum that they likely won't see is going to do anything?

I'm happy your wife is doing well and will recover.
I'm glad you're responsible, but it's sadly not just you driving around.

The publication's reach goes far beyond this forum. The goal isn't just to prevent it from happening again, but also an added incentive to change the speed limit on my street. And most of all, to share the story of my wife, who isn't a car person and could care less what she drives, but was nonetheless affected by a car.

And in the end, if just one person remembers the story and changes their behavior, then I've done a good thing. Would you have me not write the story? 100% unsuccessful rate of change then.
zx10guy5149.50
Closed Thread