New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-08-2011, 01:22 PM   #5435
infinitekidM2C
Major General
infinitekidM2C's Avatar
United_States
3416
Rep
5,634
Posts

 
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
nice frontside tailslide...not as easy as it looks btw
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #5436
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Kgolf31's Avatar
433
Rep
4,533
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (4)

I don't like the noise


Light up the day by M0nk3yy31, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #5437
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
9944
Rep
7,105
Posts

 
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

Do you have Photoshop?
__________________
Mark
markj.pics

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #5438
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
9944
Rep
7,105
Posts

 
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

Awesome triptych, TL.

Charlestown Navy Yard?
__________________
Mark
markj.pics

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 03:14 PM   #5439
E90Mario
Brigadier General
E90Mario's Avatar
Lebanon
374
Rep
3,646
Posts

 
Drives: ESS E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (10)

Jilly!
Attached Images
 
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 03:34 PM   #5440
adrean8j
Brigadier General
adrean8j's Avatar
No_Country
113
Rep
4,070
Posts

 
Drives: SGM 135I
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TL View Post

Question is did he land it?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
SGM was God's color and has been recalled to heaven.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 03:45 PM   #5441
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Kgolf31's Avatar
433
Rep
4,533
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Do you have Photoshop?
I'm using Lightroom3
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 04:01 PM   #5442
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
9944
Rep
7,105
Posts

 
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
I'm using Lightroom3
Ah. Then I can't help you. I'm not familiar with Lightroom.
__________________
Mark
markj.pics

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 04:17 PM   #5443
adrean8j
Brigadier General
adrean8j's Avatar
No_Country
113
Rep
4,070
Posts

 
Drives: SGM 135I
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
I don't like the noise


Light up the day by M0nk3yy31, on Flickr
Well at ISO 3200 I am not surprised...I still like the shot myself though. Can you retake it w/tripod lower ISO?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
SGM was God's color and has been recalled to heaven.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 04:51 PM   #5444
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
415
Rep
6,806
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: LA, CA

iTrader: (15)

nice shot Mario... what aperture?

Kyle... should've bought a canon

Tim, nice triptych... since when are you Badger?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 05:28 PM   #5445
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Kgolf31's Avatar
433
Rep
4,533
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post
Well at ISO 3200 I am not surprised...I still like the shot myself though. Can you retake it w/tripod lower ISO?
I don't have a tripod with me on campus. I'm going to be getting a 35mm f/1.8, so I should be able to shoot it handheld w/lower ISO for sure later

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
nice shot Mario... what aperture?

Kyle... should've bought a canon

Tim, nice triptych... since when are you Badger?
I don't want to hear you Ashu
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 07:22 PM   #5446
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
9944
Rep
7,105
Posts

 
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

Quick NR in PS. Dave's method of shooting to the right and then reducing exposure in post processing also works very well for reducing noise. Overexpose by +1 or even +2 and then bring it back in post processing. It maximizes your signal to noise ratio. More signal = less noise.

__________________
Mark
markj.pics

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 10:48 PM   #5447
dcstep
Major General
United_States
1254
Rep
7,407
Posts

 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Quick NR in PS. Dave's method of shooting to the right and then reducing exposure in post processing also works very well for reducing noise. Overexpose by +1 or even +2 and then bring it back in post processing. It maximizes your signal to noise ratio. More signal = less noise.
Yes Grasshopper, you are a fine student...

It's amazing how few people understand how digital sensors work and shoot as if they were shooting film.

Well done.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 11:46 PM   #5448
The1
Major General
Canada
71
Rep
5,121
Posts

 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

iTrader: (0)

shooting right is very interesting indeed. Just make sure you have RAW images to work with if you choose this method JPEGs don't really appreciate over exposure as much.....


P.S. I'm still mad that i forgot i switched formats for those pictures a week ago.... if people can't tell...
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 08:49 AM   #5449
dcstep
Major General
United_States
1254
Rep
7,407
Posts

 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
shooting right is very interesting indeed. Just make sure you have RAW images to work with if you choose this method JPEGs don't really appreciate over exposure as much.....


P.S. I'm still mad that i forgot i switched formats for those pictures a week ago.... if people can't tell...
I use 32GB CF cards and shoot RAW plus jpeg. I only use the jpegs to select which images to work in DxO. Looking at the jpegs, you'd never want to put your name on those washed out images.

The only time that I would consider shooting jpeg only is if I HAD TO get 8-fps for some subject. Then I'd try to nail the exposure, as if shooting slide film. (Thank the Lord that we don't have to do that anymore.)

Dave
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 09:13 AM   #5450
The1
Major General
Canada
71
Rep
5,121
Posts

 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
I use 32GB CF cards and shoot RAW plus jpeg. I only use the jpegs to select which images to work in DxO. Looking at the jpegs, you'd never want to put your name on those washed out images.

The only time that I would consider shooting jpeg only is if I HAD TO get 8-fps for some subject. Then I'd try to nail the exposure, as if shooting slide film. (Thank the Lord that we don't have to do that anymore.)

Dave
you should still be able to get 8+ frames in RAW as long as you don't have that one image processing controller cranked to full (forget what it's called any my camera is packed up nicely for my drive today...)

you know the one in your main info screen at the bottom right corner that's supposed to help your exposures? if you have that dialed up to 3 or full, it slows the 7D down a lot.

Ive debated on getting the 32gig card, just seems like a lot of memory, i never use much over about 9gigs at a time, and i almost always have my laptop with me to unload pictures onto. I guess i should grab one sometime just to have some spare memory. (of course i mean retire one of the old cards and use the 32gig as a main card.)
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 09:21 AM   #5451
dcstep
Major General
United_States
1254
Rep
7,407
Posts

 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
you should still be able to get 8+ frames in RAW as long as you don't have that one image processing controller cranked to full (forget what it's called any my camera is packed up nicely for my drive today...)

you know the one in your main info screen at the bottom right corner that's supposed to help your exposures? if you have that dialed up to 3 or full, it slows the 7D down a lot.

Ive debated on getting the 32gig card, just seems like a lot of memory, i never use much over about 9gigs at a time, and i almost always have my laptop with me to unload pictures onto. I guess i should grab one sometime just to have some spare memory. (of course i mean retire one of the old cards and use the 32gig as a main card.)
With RAW plus jpeg I fill the buffer and have to wait for it to catch up. Shooting jpeg only, the 7D's buffer never fills. With RAW only it'll fill, but after giving me a lot of shots. RAW plus jpeg is around 30MB per image.

On most outtings I'll shoot 2 to 6GB, but occasionally there'll be lots of action (like eagles fighting or courting) and I'll fill the card, shooting in lots of bursts. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen on every outting, but I need to be ready the next time it does. I've had days where I've shot 2,000 in an hour.

Before every outting I reformat my cards. I only use them for storage if I don't have access to my laptop.

Dave
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #5452
gcochard
Captain
20
Rep
777
Posts

 
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South OC

iTrader: (2)


Because Christmas


Since it's not in the EXIF, taken with a 50mm f/1.4 Pre-AI Nikkor

Last edited by gcochard; 12-09-2011 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #5453
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
131
Rep
1,465
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Suffolk/Chesapeake, VA

iTrader: (0)


Lights by jsophoto, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 07:59 PM   #5454
rodi
. . .
152
Rep
2,400
Posts

 
Drives: your FACE!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta proper

iTrader: (-1)

__________________
2009 135i | space grey | sport | navi | hifi | heated
dinan stage 2 software | bmw performance exhaust
kw v2 | hotchkis front sway | vmr v710

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 08:21 PM   #5455
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
9944
Rep
7,105
Posts

 
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

Nice shot, Josh. Very cool bokeh.

Damn, rodi, she looks like Claire Forlani. Killer eyes.
__________________
Mark
markj.pics

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 08:43 PM   #5456
rodi
. . .
152
Rep
2,400
Posts

 
Drives: your FACE!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta proper

iTrader: (-1)

Jolie!
__________________
2009 135i | space grey | sport | navi | hifi | heated
dinan stage 2 software | bmw performance exhaust
kw v2 | hotchkis front sway | vmr v710

Appreciate 0
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:42 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST