New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-01-2022, 09:59 PM   #1
E92inNC
Captain
Rep

Drives: E92 335i

Another TV thread

Wanted to get some opinion from anyone knowledgeable about the tech on TVs nowadays.

I'm looking for a 65", 120Hz, wide viewing angle, will be in a bright living room. Mostly will be watching sports (NBA, NFL, F1) and streaming. Currently have an LG CX for the bedroom to watch at night and fall asleep to and love the picture quality. I'm giving it to my niece and have already ordered a C1 but it seems from what I've read that LED's are better than OLED's for bright rooms. Also, I won't be able to configure it to save my life so it needs to already be "configured" for what I'm watching out of the box.

Currently looking at

2021 models
Samsung Q70A $1k
Samsung Q80A $1.1k
Sony X90J $1.2k
Just looked on BB's site and the Sony A8H has a massive sale, now $1375 but says unavailable nearby. I could stop by a store and ask. Really cheap price for a 65" OLED

2022 models
Sony X90K $1.3k
Sony X85K $1.1k
Samsung Q80B

Any thoughts about which TV fits most into what I'm wanting to use it for? Is the slight price increase worth it(such as the Q70A vs Q80A)?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 12:04 AM   #2
coonz
Banned
Rep

Drives: Ducati Diavel, BMW S1000XR

I'm Europe based, so can't comment on the exact models, as I believe we get different ones. Two points. Firstly, I've recently purchased an LG 65" Smart TV and am very pleased with all aspects of the TV. Secondly, its worth knowing that Samsung manufacturers the vast majority of screens used in today's TVs.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 01:43 AM   #3
M5Rick
General
Rep

Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

I have a Samsung 55'' that's a few years old and very pleased with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 03:10 PM   #4
andrewmr
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2020 M4

Garage List
Sony X90K.... would be my pick from your group.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 08:20 PM   #5
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92inPHX View Post
wide viewing angle, will be in a bright living room. Mostly will be watching sports (NBA, NFL, F1) and streaming.

Any thoughts about which TV fits most into what I'm wanting to use it for?
So here's the deal - in a vacuum - as you know the OLED is simply the better picture. Hits all your requirements.
And since you're not using it for games or news or PC there's no static images that might theoretically cause an issue with extended usage.

Which OLED is up to your personal preference with regard to the remote and the on screen menu's.

Rtings has the breakdown of which in your list is better than which.

Working off your list, they prefer last years' Sony, the J, to this years, the K.
They don't recommend either for a wide viewing area though despite both being superior in picture to any of the Samsung's.

Of your Samsung options, they use a completely different LCD tech than the Sony. Samsungs all have brighter panels, better colors, wider viewing angles, but poorer contrast, poorer uniformity, and poorer local dimming on the Q80A. The B has better dimming and better handling of text on screen but isn't as bright so better in dark rooms. The Q70, like the Sony, can't do wide viewing angles.

So from your list the Q80A is the only LCD that fits your requirements.

However- you mentioned a bright living room, and to decide the LCD over OLED - how bright? or what kind of bright?

The major major difference in OLED vs. a modern LCD is how they perform in the dark. After having just installed a bunch of newer LCD's (Q80A funnily enough, and this isn't considered a high end LCD) they truly are much better at doing shadows and greys and having any sort of detail in unlit parts of the screen. This was in a night club with a glass roof so super dark at night and yet bright during the day. Still against an OLED it's no contest.

But that's indoors. Or in a regular room that has normal windows and window treatments. Or watching at night.

ESPECIALLY when there is any white text on screen. Like subtitles or sports scores. The 'blooming' is obnoxious on just about every LCD panel, it's mitigated in the pricey ones, but isn't entirely gone.

If you are outside, or on a patio or deck (even covered) you are basically in sunlight. Here an OLED will struggle to compete with the sun, and honestly most LCD's too. For modern apartments that have wall to wall floor to ceiling glass you are effectively outdoors. Is that your viewing scenario?

Because if you don't watch during the peak of daylight with all the windows open the OLED's lack of brightness in that specific situation should not mitigate its superiority in every other scenario - price being equal (and I have not seen that, and it's likely a major consideration).

As for the configuring - unfortunately you will have to - almost no TV comes set up properly for your home. However, rtings will tell you their recommended settings so just follow their lead and copy it.

Seth
Appreciate 2
zx10guy5139.00
E92inNC1704.50
      07-02-2022, 10:13 PM   #6
E92inNC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
I have a Samsung 55'' that's a few years old and very pleased with it.
Which model and how old is it? How is it holding up?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 10:24 PM   #7
E92inNC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwas View Post
So here's the deal - in a vacuum - as you know the OLED is simply the better picture. Hits all your requirements.
And since you're not using it for games or news or PC there's no static images that might theoretically cause an issue with extended usage.

Which OLED is up to your personal preference with regard to the remote and the on screen menu's.

Rtings has the breakdown of which in your list is better than which.

Working off your list, they prefer last years' Sony, the J, to this years, the K.
They don't recommend either for a wide viewing area though despite both being superior in picture to any of the Samsung's.

Of your Samsung options, they use a completely different LCD tech than the Sony. Samsungs all have brighter panels, better colors, wider viewing angles, but poorer contrast, poorer uniformity, and poorer local dimming on the Q80A. The B has better dimming and better handling of text on screen but isn't as bright so better in dark rooms. The Q70, like the Sony, can't do wide viewing angles.

So from your list the Q80A is the only LCD that fits your requirements.

However- you mentioned a bright living room, and to decide the LCD over OLED - how bright? or what kind of bright?

The major major difference in OLED vs. a modern LCD is how they perform in the dark. After having just installed a bunch of newer LCD's (Q80A funnily enough, and this isn't considered a high end LCD) they truly are much better at doing shadows and greys and having any sort of detail in unlit parts of the screen. This was in a night club with a glass roof so super dark at night and yet bright during the day. Still against an OLED it's no contest.

But that's indoors. Or in a regular room that has normal windows and window treatments. Or watching at night.

ESPECIALLY when there is any white text on screen. Like subtitles or sports scores. The 'blooming' is obnoxious on just about every LCD panel, it's mitigated in the pricey ones, but isn't entirely gone.

If you are outside, or on a patio or deck (even covered) you are basically in sunlight. Here an OLED will struggle to compete with the sun, and honestly most LCD's too. For modern apartments that have wall to wall floor to ceiling glass you are effectively outdoors. Is that your viewing scenario?

Because if you don't watch during the peak of daylight with all the windows open the OLED's lack of brightness in that specific situation should not mitigate its superiority in every other scenario - price being equal (and I have not seen that, and it's likely a major consideration).

As for the configuring - unfortunately you will have to - almost no TV comes set up properly for your home. However, rtings will tell you their recommended settings so just follow their lead and copy it.

Seth
Yep, I知 moving to NC end of this month and will be on the top floor apartment for at least a year before I buy a house and any glass that is not at the front door will be pulled back during the day as I like a bright living room. Rtings is the site I looked to when I compared these this past week. Their #1 recommendation that I left out was the Samsung Q85A because it has little glare and mini LED backlighting to help with brightness. I知 going to go see the Q80A, Q85A and X90J and see how they compare in person. These are getting close to the price range of the C1 and I知 wondering if I should just buy two but I really need something that will do well with brightness.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2022, 05:13 AM   #8
JJ 911SC
Crusty Old Navy Chief
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 1983 911SC

Garage List
After returning a coupe of TV to Costco, for use in the sunroom (no blinds) I got a Samsung QLED. Perfect picture in full sun.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
E92inNC1704.50
      07-03-2022, 10:45 PM   #9
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Drives: '13 135i

Can you wait?

Typically at the end of the year prices go down for the holidays NOTICEABLY. But don't buy any Black Friday specials.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 11:39 AM   #10
E92inNC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Can you wait?

Typically at the end of the year prices go down for the holidays NOTICEABLY. But don't buy any Black Friday specials.
I知 moving to my new place August 2nd so right now is a pretty good time with everyone trying to get rid of the 2021s and putting them all on clearance.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 03:41 PM   #11
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92inPHX View Post
I知 moving to my new place August 2nd so right now is a pretty good time with everyone trying to get rid of the 2021s and putting them all on clearance.
Gotcha, just figured you already had one.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 07:47 AM   #12
gtr2M3
Rep

Drives: M3

Q90B has amazing blacks and extremely good anti-glare

I would use it over any oled in a room that痴 bright when tv is used
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 08:00 AM   #13
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

WHat technology or model line or whatever avoids the "fake 3D" effect? I THINK what I am referring to is called Soap Opera effect but not sure it's the same thing. I have a low to mid tier Samsung LED and a high end Hisense and particularly the Hisense, it looks SO FAKE. WHat does fake mean? Almost like a bad 3D, like the show was shot by an amateur with a cheap camera, it is so, so noticeable. I have turned off every setting that may be creating this problem, motion this and auto that... but the image looks so fake. I turn on my 10 yr old plasma and apart from not being bright enough..........it's brilliant.
Appreciate 0