New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E39) Forums (1995 - 2003) > General E39 Discussions

07-07-2024, 10:32 AM   #1
Kevan929
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2002 E39 540i

Garage List
Reseating the Valve cover gasket.

So yesterday I changed my value cover gasket on my M62TU (2002 540i), I followed e39 source’s video and used gasket maker as required. After doing the valve cover I did a full oil change with Liqud moly and certec and new filter. I noticed on my test drive little bit of smoke from the engine bay which could just be oil burning off the exhaust manifold. More worrying was the blue smoke that started to emit from the exhaust. It seamed to come in waves sometimes no smoke then all of sudden huge cloud of blue smoke. I only drove around 3 Km and noticed this. When I got home I decided to check how
Well the gasket had sealed (photos below) I also noctied the engine was idling a little rougher (vacuume leak?). Anyways the gasket looked to have some small gaps in it which I assume are from me not cleaning the value cover surface good enough.

My question is, If I take the valve cover off again and clean the areas that gasket makes contact with am I ok to reuse the valve cover gasket and oil?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0