New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

06-11-2019, 05:27 PM   #23
s14_kev
Major
Rep

Drives: E90 M3, E30 M3

I heard the glasses don't work on rod bearing jobs.
      06-11-2019, 07:02 PM   #24
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14_kev View Post
I heard the glasses don't work on rod bearing jobs.
And neither will they correctly display the Dr. Vanos parts and procedure.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 09:35 PM   #25
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep

Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Random owner: You have had my car for weeks!

SA: Oh, sorry....um....our tech's smart glasses broke.
YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 09:43 PM   #26
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
I bet the mechanics are just thrilllllllllled they have to wear these contraptions all day long now.

Of course nothing will become cheaper for the end consumer.
That's not the point of these glasses. They're only used when tech support needs to have eyes on something from off site. As one other mentioned in error, Puma, which has been gone for months and replaced by TSARA.

It won't effect anything other than time if/when they're used. Live vision that support can send text, highlight areas, take screenshots, etc. they're pretty awesome actually. Voice activated for camera, light, zoom etc. and will be quite handy to help reduce the diagnostic time and get cars on the road faster. No cost to the customer and in fact it's not likely any customers will ever see it. I'm not even sure why this is considered news for the forum...
Appreciate 1
NickyC17343.00
      06-11-2019, 10:00 PM   #27
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehighM3 View Post
Quote:
I bet the mechanics are just thrilllllllllled they have to wear these contraptions all day long now.

That's not the point of these glasses. They're only used when tech support needs to have eyes on something from off site. As one other mentioned in error, Puma, which has been gone for months and replaced by TSARA.

It won't effect anything other than time if/when they're used. Live vision that support can send text, highlight areas, take screenshots, etc. they're pretty awesome actually. Voice activated for camera, light, zoom etc. and will be quite handy to help reduce the diagnostic time and get cars on the road faster. No cost to the customer and in fact it's not likely any customers will ever see it. I'm not even sure why this is considered news for the forum...
This technology is needed and hopefully it will help to speed the process of complex repairs. I had a car sit for nearly 2 weeks with an open Puma case that stumped BMWNA techs as well as the dealers lead techs and 2 shop foremen. BMWNA finally figured it out after a lot of trial and error. I was surprised at what the ultimate fix was. Maybe next time, if this ever occurs again, the process will be much faster thanks to some AI. I'm sure BMW understands the inefficiencies in the old ways of doing these repairs. Cars are way more complicated and labor rates, skyrocketing. Something needs to be done. This is the future of so many types of onsite repair.

Recently I walked by a county tech working on a traffic signal controller. He had a tablet setup on a tripod and a remote tech was watching what he was doing and coaching him through the repair. I thought that was smart. Keep the knowledable guys working efficiently and the grunt workers on the road.
      06-12-2019, 01:55 AM   #28
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
I can imagine that that is a wonderful and handy tool.
I do a lot of wrenching on my car, and nowadays I use a tablet to follow the procedures, but that gets dirty really easy, and isn't very easy to use with gloves.
Both TIS and INPA/ISTA-D/ISTA-P were designed to be used as touchscreen (and they all work wonderful on my little tablet), but there's still the issue of grease. And of course you still have to focus your attention from your work to the tablet (and you can't put the tablet anywhere)
Dang .. finally a positive post on the subject, thank you. You guys are a bunch of bitchen haters. . Seriously though ... I much prefer to take my car to a certified dealer and in almost all cases I trust them to get it done right and I'm satisfied. But then ... that cost issue. Yikes! Would be nice if they actually figured out a way to make it a little easier on us loyal BMW customers.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 06:32 AM   #29
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Supposedly there is a view that we all will wear similar glasses all the time as part of daily life replacing our phones and smart devices.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 07:26 AM   #30
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Drives: ///M + E91

Despite all the "stealership" comments, this is positive for us consumers.
It gives techs access to expert advice or information or live assistance quicker.
So, instead of someone taking apart your engine and then waiting for an expert tech to fly in for a couple of days or sending a suspect part away while your car sits on the lot or lift, that expert can guide the tech on the ground to a proper diagnosis. Savings for dealership? Yes, but also for us common folk.
It will certainly change the nature of techs work and, I suspect, the jobs will now have to be billed by the type and other units of work that is not based on hours and minutes.

Over time, as this becomes more common tech (i.e. not just one pair of glasses per dealership that break and they are done) you can also aggregate the data and the video recordings to improve procedures further, classify whether future faults may be related to previous bad procedures or sloppy work etc.

So, thumbs up from me.

And no, I don't work for BMW. I wish I did!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 07:29 AM   #31
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Drives: ///M + E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
Supposedly there is a view that we all will wear similar glasses all the time as part of daily life replacing our phones and smart devices.
Yep, remember Google Glass from 5+ (?) years ago? It's like walking around with your phone camera held up and on all the time. Good times!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 09:01 AM   #32
Majec9-7
Enlisted Member
Slovenia
Rep

Drives: '07 E87 116i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mposter View Post
Instead of glasses, design the cars to be worked on, and design them to last more than 50,000 miles.
What the hell are you people doing with your cars? There is no way that with proper care and normal driving BMWs wouldn't last 50k miles before breaking in some major fashion. Proper care means taking the car to official service regulary (as is advised or when the car notifies you you should do it). Normal driving still means you can drive fast around corners and push it hard at times, pretty much only thing you shouldn't do is rev it high when the engine is still cold, too much sharp downshifts and driving fast over big potholes or a really bumpy road. Follow these instructions and the car should drive fine.

Our family has had many BMWs in the past and they never broke down. The worst we've had was a faulty left door alarm sensor in F33, a small piece of broken plastic in F33, E90s battery once went dead (not sure if one time thing or if the battery had to be replaced), G32 had some problems with calibrating the moonroof cover and E70 was sold earlier because they didn't design it in a way that would allow to check the chain condition (sold it with 120k miles). So that would mean that less than half our BMWs had problems.

There's a saying where I live and I'll modify it a little so it applies better: One fool can ruin a thing more easily than 10 smart men can foolproof it.
Appreciate 2
Yeru210.50
F15GorDe261.00
      06-12-2019, 11:53 AM   #33
DennisCAN
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: 2011 M3 E90, 2018 X3 M40i

Most likely the efficiency will increase but the benefit will not be passed onto the customers. So the technicians will be faster but will still charge the same labor hours, or the hours will shrink but the same cost will be justified by "high-tech tools" amortization. In any case, the extra money goes to BMW service centers ..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 07:15 PM   #34
DDD31
Captain
Rep

Drives: 24 M3CS, 95 E320, 85 300CD

So is this gonna allow the tech to finally see the DO NOT WASH signs in the car and on the paperwork?

2021 MBB M5C (retired) 2018 Daytona Violet M3 ZCP (retired), 2016 AW 550i (retired)
2013 EBII 335i (retired), 2008 Platinum Bronze 535xi (retired), 2007 Monaco Blue 335i (retired)
1999 Hellrot M3 coupe (retired)
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 06:51 AM   #35
jimbobiggens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Garage List
If the mechanic gets stumped, put the glasses on and dial up some help. That's a good thing. The only downside is you will have to ask to use it. Ask too many times and the bosses will be looking at you sideways...
I wish something like that existed when I was working at a Lincoln-Mercury dealership. Would have made electrical troubleshooting a lot easier.
      06-15-2019, 03:54 AM   #36
ihateredlight
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2014 BMW 435i xDrive M-Sport

shorter hours higher hourly rate, BMW's way to get ROI.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 05:46 AM   #37
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
So is service gonna be cheaper.
I would hope so! Less time theoretically means less to bill; however, I’m sure there will be an upcharge figured in one way or the other.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 09:20 AM   #38
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majec9-7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mposter View Post
Instead of glasses, design the cars to be worked on, and design them to last more than 50,000 miles.
What the hell are you people doing with your cars? There is no way that with proper care and normal driving BMWs wouldn't last 50k miles before breaking in some major fashion. Proper care means taking the car to official service regulary (as is advised or when the car notifies you you should do it). Normal driving still means you can drive fast around corners and push it hard at times, pretty much only thing you shouldn't do is rev it high when the engine is still cold, too much sharp downshifts and driving fast over big potholes or a really bumpy road. Follow these instructions and the car should drive fine.

Our family has had many BMWs in the past and they never broke down. The worst we've had was a faulty left door alarm sensor in F33, a small piece of broken plastic in F33, E90s battery once went dead (not sure if one time thing or if the battery had to be replaced), G32 had some problems with calibrating the moonroof cover and E70 was sold earlier because they didn't design it in a way that would allow to check the chain condition (sold it with 120k miles). So that would mean that less than half our BMWs had problems.

There's a saying where I live and I'll modify it a little so it applies better: One fool can ruin a thing more easily than 10 smart men can foolproof it.
Agree, They last about 75k miles. lol

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 11:02 AM   #39
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Agree, They last about 75k miles. lol
That was about the extent of my E92 lol
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 07:40 AM   #40
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehighM3 View Post
Quote:

I work in Canada, we don't have TSARA yet. Still good ole PUMA. So it is still take pics with my phone and upload them to my ISID when I have to submit them for TC.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 05:54 PM   #41
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep

Drives: F15d, F10

There's a saying where I live and I'll modify it a little so it applies better: One fool can ruin a thing more easily than 10 smart men can foolproof it.[/QUOTE]

Would be good for all to remember this.