New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-31-2019, 03:42 PM   #441
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Okay - so both you and Now_Rudi agree to leave it in the carrier overnight.

So the next question - obviously he is going to piss or shit in there throughout the night, I don't imagine he could hold it that long. I feel pretty bad about leaving him in that overnight and not sure how to sort out cleaning it and/or him before bringing him to my vet.

Hate to be that guy coming in "so yeah, here is a cat, yeah - please ignore that he is covered in feces - can you help him?"
I don't think he will piss or shit in there. Typically cats won't "go" in the same area that they sleep. Hell mine won't even use his litter box if it isn't clean....pretentious bastard.

He will most likely hold it until he is in a place where he can relieve himself and then cover it. I'm no cat whisperer but every cat that I've ever had won't do their business somewhere that it can not be covered. Spraying is a different story but I've never known a cat to drop their trash in a carrier. I think you'd be good. In the event that he does, you are taking him to a vet; trust me, they've seen it (and worse) before.

On the subject matter, Hamilton's new cat carrier arrived today and his grooming/shot visit is Monday. The carrier that I used with him before was "given" to me by the guy that I got Hamilton from and he needed it back for his other cats about 8 months ago. Any tips on getting a cat acclimated to their carrier so they aren't so freaked out by it when it comes time to use it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Put in some pee pads. You can always take one for the team and set an alarm to change the pads out during the night at least once. Plus getting him out for even just a few minutes while doing that would comfort him.

Just limit his food intake before crating him, and only have water available.

It's just a minor inconvenience, but will score major points with your daughter!
This sounds like more solid advice.
Appreciate 2
Run Silent15127.00
Rmtt8208.00
      05-31-2019, 03:50 PM   #442
s14_kev
Major
Rep

Drives: E90 M3, E30 M3

Give us a follow on IG @porter_n_margo
Attached Images

King Rudi13154.00
      05-31-2019, 03:52 PM   #443
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. I guess the plan then, is if he comes by tonight (he isn't here every night, just perhaps 8 out of 10) then I will put him in the carrier.

Both my current cat and my last never used a carrier. I've got it as a 'just in case' but both of them are leash trained and I just pop them in the car with me on my lap if running to the vet - it's only about .8 miles away.

The previous maine coon would hop up on the dash and just lay there watching the cars at stop lights. She was super chill. The current cat not so much, but he is fucking nuts anyway, so it isn't really surprising.
See I'm the same with my previous cats. Never had to use a carrier, they always laid in my lap and enjoyed the car ride until we stopped in traffic. Then suddenly they became very curious about their surroundings and the people in other cars within proximity. Hamilton is a different story. He can be aggressive and big enough to really F someone up when he decides they need it.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      05-31-2019, 04:08 PM   #444
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Oh, I understand. My current NFC weighs in at about 20lbs and is nowhere near full grown. Also,

(a) Not declawed (never do that to a cat).
(b) Has literally vampire fangs so big they hang out his mouth when it is closed and he likes to bite on occasion. (see photo below).
You definitely win in the fang department, Jay-sus!

They really are such strange creatures. So warm, affectionate and soft yet temperamental all while being the perfect psychopathic killing machines.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      05-31-2019, 04:15 PM   #445
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

https://www.instagram.com/the.dark_lord/?hl=en

This guy definitely makes me want a Sphynx!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 10:55 AM   #446
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Alright - so a dilemma and could use some recommendations.....how the heck do I get this cat to come by in the morning, specifically on a Saturday - to get it in the cat carrier, or how to I 'store' the cat over night to take it to the vet in the morning.

Ideas?
For longer travels and our rental days, we got these fold-up larger carriers. Hard beige plastic with perforated walls making a portable crate with accordion sides and metal door-ends, about 20"x24" which leaves room inside for a small oval bed and a 10x12 litter pan (guessing on sizes - just a basic Rubbermaid tray). IIRC, we got them at Petco, but they don't have brand or model # that I can see. You may also have use for them initially while introducing them to each other - our cats never liked each other at first sight, but were able to bond fairly quickly with some initial controlled exposure like that (either through a closed door and then extended babygates (you will develop an engineering degree in how to improve babygates); or some graduated exposures to the newcomer in the crate. For us, the rule is always that the original cat has priority, and if they really can't get along w/ the newbie, then the newbie has to go back to the (no-kill) rescue - you may want to establish that w/ your daughter at the outset, just in case.

DK which 'mountains' you are in, but if it's the ADK or Catskills I'm happy to loan you one of ours.
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2019, 10:15 AM   #447
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: M235i

Appreciate 5
upstatedoc7555.50
nyalpine907423.50
King Rudi13154.00
Rmtt8208.00
Ickdeep5715.50
      06-02-2019, 11:14 AM   #448
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

Drives: blue streak

No more cone of shame!
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
nyalpine907423.50
UncleWede17962.50
King Rudi13154.00
Rmtt8208.00
Ickdeep5715.50
      06-03-2019, 09:02 AM   #449
No one
Major
Rep

Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
it was nice to see that no issues are to be expected.
As you put it, your wife doesn't want the cat (in case you miss it behind her excuses).
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 09:19 AM   #450
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
As you put it, your wife doesn't want the cat (in case you miss it behind her excuses).
huh?
      06-03-2019, 10:11 AM   #451
No one
Major
Rep

Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
huh?
As your wife suggested a delay, let her return to the subject herself and suggest it's the time to make sure she's not actually reluctant. If it matters, of course. Failing to find the time is the most common excuse to avoid undesired.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 10:54 AM   #452
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Princess Leah was worrying me, I wasn't much seeing signs of any control in the back legs.

Until this morning! When I "juiced" her, the tail went up as usual, but she also did that funny thing where she points her right leg forward so she doesn't pee on herself (I guess).

When we put her on the bed last night, just to hang out with us, she was getting better at moving herself around, scooted from side to side depending on who was on the bed with her. Shared a bit of my ice cream with her as a treat.

All of you who have shared pics have a line much lower than Leah. Her's starts almost between her front shoulder blades and moves down. The hemilectomy (sp?) was T11-12.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 03:40 PM   #453
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Update on Hamilton currently at the vet getting groomed:

Dropped him off at 8:00 this morning and haven't heard from the groomer to pick him up so I thought I'd call to check in. In the background I can hear only what can be described as a zombie apocalypse while the lady on the phone with me is laughing hysterically. The lady on the phone explains that "he has been less than pleasant" and they are currently on their fourth attempt at grooming him. I can't wait to pick him up and hear the story firsthand from the groomer. I tried to warn them this morning.
Appreciate 3
Run Silent15127.00
Rmtt8208.00
      06-03-2019, 03:51 PM   #454
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like my old maine coon. She was listed as the reason they no longer offered $20 cat claw trimming.

I was politely asked to inform them in advance if I was bringing her in for a trim and that my price was $40 due to the extensive amount of additional staffing needed to complete the task.

I know I shouldn't think this is as funny as it is to me. I can only imagine the emotional stress my poor cat is going through at the moment and that bothers me, but the amount of stress he is causing the people at the vets office is what has me grinning devilishly.

I truly wish that he hadn't wreaked havoc on the lady that used to groom him. She was such a nice lady. It does bother me that Hamilton is the reason she no longer grooms cats.....but at the same time, it's kinda funny. I try to warn people well in advance but they tend to think it's fun and games until he enters beast mode. It's remarkable at how strong this breed of cats are!
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      06-04-2019, 09:39 AM   #455
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

In our travels across the local garage, we encounter the domestic miniature house lion. After a long day of grooming and being injected with vaccines, he is spotted here giving another local feline the stink eye for entering his domain.

.....and below we find him quenching his thirst at his favorite local watering hole.
Attached Images

Appreciate 10
DETRoadster11456.00
Run Silent15127.00
nyalpine907423.50
Rmtt8208.00
BSM n54iS2684.50
JasonCSU699.00
Maynard3833.00
      06-04-2019, 09:41 AM   #456
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep

Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Princess Leah was worrying me, I wasn't much seeing signs of any control in the back legs.

Until this morning! When I "juiced" her, the tail went up as usual, but she also did that funny thing where she points her right leg forward so she doesn't pee on herself (I guess).

When we put her on the bed last night, just to hang out with us, she was getting better at moving herself around, scooted from side to side depending on who was on the bed with her. Shared a bit of my ice cream with her as a treat.

All of you who have shared pics have a line much lower than Leah. Her's starts almost between her front shoulder blades and moves down. The hemilectomy (sp?) was T11-12.
Sophie's was at L4/L5 which strangely is where I herniated my back a couple years ago. The joints go like this:

"C" or cervical joints are skull to shoulders.
"T" or Thoracic joints are shoulder to mid back.
"L" or Lumbar joints are mid back to hips.

The T11/T12 is almost at the T/L junction which is a common weak point for many breeds. So the issue was mid-back where as Sophie's was low back. The further up towards the skull you go, the more critical the issue becomes. Recovery is slower, risks are higher, etc. These first 2 weeks are grueling and critical. Keep her as confined as possible, in a crate as much as you can. Like 23 hours a day. Restricting movement is key. Her body needs time to heal and get that inflammation down.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 09:45 AM   #457
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like my old maine coon. She was listed as the reason they no longer offered $20 cat claw trimming.

I was politely asked to inform them in advance if I was bringing her in for a trim and that my price was $40 due to the extensive amount of additional staffing needed to complete the task.

We took Bella to Petco one to have her nails clipped. She was a puppy, maybe 6 pounds at the time. It took 3 Petco employees to hold her down. The screaming was so loud that people stopped shopping and were gathering at the window to watch. It was $10. We gave them $20 for the trouble and never came back. We just resigned to do it ourselves. We'd take her into the basement and would warn our neighbors what we were doing to avoid someone calling the cops to report animal abuse. 13 years later she's better but still a total pussy. We wrap her in a towel to confine her and have to move fast. She still screams but not bad enough to warn the neighbors.

Bringing her to the vet is to worst, especially if we have to leave her for a procedure like teeth cleaning. She screams the entire time, unless a vet tech holds her. They always tell us "Drop her off at 8:00 and we will call you when she's ready to go home, probably around 4:00." I laugh and reply "OK, talk to you around 10:00." Sure enough they call and want her gone the moment she wakes up. She's a legend. They must truly hate her.

Last edited by DETRoadster; 06-04-2019 at 10:20 AM..
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13154.00
Run Silent15127.00
      06-04-2019, 09:47 AM   #458
skillz1318
6MT User
Rep

Drives: 17 M2 6MT

Loves riding in the M2

Appreciate 5
King Rudi13154.00
Run Silent15127.00
upstatedoc7555.50
DETRoadster11456.00
Rmtt8208.00
      06-04-2019, 10:44 AM   #459
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Sophie's was at L4/L5 which strangely is where I herniated my back a couple years ago. The joints go like this:

The T11/T12 is almost at the T/L junction which is a common weak point for many breeds. So the issue was mid-back where as Sophie's was low back. The further up towards the skull you go, the more critical the issue becomes. Recovery is slower, risks are higher, etc. These first 2 weeks are grueling and critical. Keep her as confined as possible, in a crate as much as you can. Like 23 hours a day. Restricting movement is key. Her body needs time to heal and get that inflammation down.
Have you or UncleWede's pets been spayed or neutered?

Our vet told us that there was an enhanced chance for small breeds to develop Intervertebral Disc Herniation among other issues if "fixed" before 12 months of age when we picked up our Mini-Schnauzer.

I remember doing some research on it back during that time, and there were a few studies out that showed a slightly higher risk ratio, but it didn't seem alarming. But I only looked at research with Male dogs that had not went through "puberty"...not Female,

However, we waited until after the 12 month period before Axle had his procedure.

Just wondering if there were any correlation? I know there are both pros and cons listed for neutering vs. not neutering. But with our breed and everyone we talked with, the positives were supposed to outweigh the negatives.
      06-04-2019, 11:51 AM   #460
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Quote:

Have you or UncleWede's pets been spayed or neutered?

Our vet told us that there was an enhanced chance for small breeds to develop Intervertebral Disc Herniation among other issues if "fixed" before 12 months of age when we picked up our Mini-Schnauzer.

I remember doing some research on it back during that time, and there were a few studies out that showed a slightly higher risk ratio, but it didn't seem alarming. But I only looked at research with Male dogs that had not went through "puberty"...not Female,

However, we waited until after the 12 month period before Axle had his procedure.

Just wondering if there were any correlation? I know there are both pros and cons listed for neutering vs. not neutering. But with our breed and everyone we talked with, the positives were supposed to outweigh the negatives.
That's super interesting. I have not heard that. Given that dachshunds are pretty much the IVDD champions I'm not sure if adding or subtracting a few % points of possibility matters.

So I only have 2 data points but they do align with your research:

Bella - spayed at a year after first heat. No IVDD and 13 years old.

Sophie - rescue dog that came to us at 12 to 16 weeks old, already spayed. IVDD At 6.5 years old.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8208.00
      06-04-2019, 12:04 PM   #461
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
That's super interesting. I have not heard that. Given that dachshunds are pretty much the IVDD champions I'm not sure if adding or subtracting a few % points of possibility matters.

So I only have 2 data points but they do align with your research:

Bella - spayed at a year after first heat. No IVDD and 13 years old.

Sophie - rescue dog that came to us at 12 to 16 weeks old, already spayed. IVDD At 6.5 years old.
Yeah...I remember reading that Dachshunds were at the highest risk and actually the source for one of the studies. My grandmother had one that went through the same issues, but I can't remember when she was spayed.....and my grandmother has been gone for awhile.

I remember with Axle, I wanted to see what the effects of having the procedure could entail as I know what reduced levels of hormones in the human body can do at varying ages. I've always been very interested in that.

So when my wife brought it up, it sparked my interest and that's when I had the conversation with our vet. Interestingly I could actually hold my own with him even though my extrapolation was from human research.

Funny thing....we and animals are not that unalike!
      06-04-2019, 01:02 PM   #462
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Princess Leah was spayed probably about 13-14 months. We weren't up for stupid ugly puppies. Some of the strays working the neighborhood streets

She is only out of her cage to get juiced and maybe sit on the bed for a few minutes at night. Last night she was sitting with my son and the wife came home. I went to greet her and my son is laughing. I turn and she's dragging herself, legs tucked under, to address the threat to the Realm