Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

04-27-2019, 07:56 AM   #727
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
United_States
Rep

Drives: Race car->

Exert your dominance
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 04:39 PM   #728
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Thanks! I haven't been up to 455 in awhile. But after getting into this thread, I figured I couldn't justify age with cutting back on the weights.

What I have been doing is testing the waters. I knew I had the 455 coming up, so the week before I did rack pulls with it just to get a taste for what I was in for. Maybe it's a mental thing for me, but I had to feel it before actually committing to it.

Those squats are crazy. I've dome something similar in the past. people don't realize how hard it is when you stop and pause and you take the momentum out of it.

It's a lot easier coming out of the hole when you have that on your side as you body is kind of coiled like a spring to come up.

I need to start adding some box squats back in. Those were similar. You get a whole different type of soreness in other areas from those types of exercises!
Rmtt, Finally did Box Squats today. Box just below parallel. Volume 7x5 up to 350. Felt pretty good. Forgot how much I like them as a good variation alternative. Polished off with another fav. BB walking lunges 40ft up to 225. Leg game is solid right now. Worked tricep stuff and conditioning of course. Summer is here in South Florida!
Appreciate 1
Rmtt1589.50

05-06-2019, 04:54 PM   #729
Rmtt
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
Rmtt, Finally did Box Squats today. Box just below parallel. Volume 7x5 up to 350. Felt pretty good. Forgot how much I like them as a good variation alternative. Polished off with another fav. BB walking lunges 40ft up to 225. Leg game is solid right now. Worked tricep stuff and conditioning of course. Summer is here in South Florida!
Nice...you are knocking it out of the park. Not having done them in awhile, and you're using 350lbs is impressive! Those aren't something you just jump back into.....so it shows just how strong you are. There is a lot more involved in just legs, so that is crazy!

We got this new squat machine that I used this morning after back squats. I need to look at the name of it again. Basically it has a belt that you hook up to a cable on the platform. You load the backside up with plates, then squat down on the platform, hook up the cable, standup, and release the guides.

Then you have handles you can hold onto, and go as low and as far backwards as you want without worrying about balance.

I just used 3 plates on each side, but man what a stretch. Feels like it's peeling your quads off. Plus I can see a lot of variations you could do to hit hamstrings and glutes.

But you work it to failure as you have to be at the bottom to get unhooked. Still trying to decide if I like it....or just outside my comfort zone and I need to suck it up!
2011 128i: M-Sport Suspension, 3:73 Rear Diff, 3SI Intake, AA Headers, MILVS, MagnaFlow Catback, AFE Scoops, Turner Silicone Hose, Charcoal Delete, StageFP Tune, APEX ARC8 Wheels.

2008 Z51 C6 LS3 w/ LG SuperPros, Ported Fast 102 Intake, RPM Level 2 Transmission, "Small Cam" Vararam SnakeCharmer CAI - 461whp / 467wtq
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 07:32 PM   #730
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Nice...you are knocking it out of the park. Not having done them in awhile, and you're using 350lbs is impressive! Those aren't something you just jump back into.....so it shows just how strong you are. There is a lot more involved in just legs, so that is crazy!

We got this new squat machine that I used this morning after back squats. I need to look at the name of it again. Basically it has a belt that you hook up to a cable on the platform. You load the backside up with plates, then squat down on the platform, hook up the cable, standup, and release the guides.

Then you have handles you can hold onto, and go as low and as far backwards as you want without worrying about balance.

I just used 3 plates on each side, but man what a stretch. Feels like it's peeling your quads off. Plus I can see a lot of variations you could do to hit hamstrings and glutes.

But you work it to failure as you have to be at the bottom to get unhooked. Still trying to decide if I like it....or just outside my comfort zone and I need to suck it up!
Thanks Rmtt, yeah I was definitely happy with the numbers. Pushing that kind of weight from a dead stop is tough. It activates the muscle in such a different way which i like. A lot of power is generated from the hips which translates to a lot of other movements. Guess I donít see it as crazy weight since Iím used to hitting those numbers. But a few of my buddies who were training near me were like ďDamn bro you made that look easy ď always a nice compliment especially since they are 10-15 years younger then me...lol.

I know the machine you speak of and itís awesome. I believe it pulls you down, almost like you are doing banded reps. It blasts your legs! I wish mygym had one. Iíve used one a few times at a few powerlifting gyms.

Wanted to wish you and your family the best at the wedding! Enjoy every minute! From one Dad to another Congrats!
Appreciate 1
Rmtt1589.50

05-07-2019, 07:49 PM   #731
Rmtt
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Rmtt, yeah I was definitely happy with the numbers. Pushing that kind of weight from a dead stop is tough. It activates the muscle in such a different way which i like. A lot of power is generated from the hips which translates to a lot of other movements. Guess I donít see it as crazy weight since Iím used to hitting those numbers. But a few of my buddies who were training near me were like ďDamn bro you made that look easy ď always a nice compliment especially since they are 10-15 years younger then me...lol.

I know the machine you speak of and itís awesome. I believe it pulls you down, almost like you are doing banded reps. It blasts your legs! I wish mygym had one. Iíve used one a few times at a few powerlifting gyms.

Wanted to wish you and your family the best at the wedding! Enjoy every minute! From one Dad to another Congrats!

The Machine is called Rogue. It's like the banded ones, but let's you use plates on the back instead and it pulls you down. Our owner was a competitive power-lifter in the 80's, so it's more of a power-lifting oriented gym.

That's what I like most about it!

Thanks for the best wishes....honestly I'm a nervous wreck right now!
2011 128i: M-Sport Suspension, 3:73 Rear Diff, 3SI Intake, AA Headers, MILVS, MagnaFlow Catback, AFE Scoops, Turner Silicone Hose, Charcoal Delete, StageFP Tune, APEX ARC8 Wheels.

2008 Z51 C6 LS3 w/ LG SuperPros, Ported Fast 102 Intake, RPM Level 2 Transmission, "Small Cam" Vararam SnakeCharmer CAI - 461whp / 467wtq
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 07:56 PM   #732
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Quote:
The Machine is called Rogue. It's like the banded ones, but let's you use plates on the back instead and it pulls you down. Our owner was a competitive power-lifter in the 80's, so it's more of a power-lifting oriented gym.

That's what I like most about it!

Thanks for the best wishes....honestly I'm a nervous wreck right now!
Sounds like a great gym!

Training note....DLs today 5,5,5,3,3,3 up to 465. Felt solid. Then Pendlay rows 5x5 up to 245. Solid as well. Strength on the ups!

As for being nervous....seems about right for giving your daughter away in marriage. Have a great day brother!

Last edited by FlaPatsFan; 05-08-2019 at 08:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 11:42 AM   #733
1MOREMOD
United_States
Rep

Programming with new trainer has been good. Have him working on my legs for me and said my biggest issue is that they are so knotted up and tight not using full muscle so growth limited. Hes trying to fix that and compensations I make to get them to take off. Funny thing about paying someone to work with you. You really bust your ass cuz you dont wanna waste the money.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt1589.50

05-09-2019, 02:51 PM   #734
Rmtt
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Programming with new trainer has been good. Have him working on my legs for me and said my biggest issue is that they are so knotted up and tight not using full muscle so growth limited. Hes trying to fix that and compensations I make to get them to take off. Funny thing about paying someone to work with you. You really bust your ass cuz you dont wanna waste the money.

Have you ever looked into deep tissue massage? Back when I was really going heavy with legs, I would try and schedule one of those ever other week. They would break up the knots, and most importantly help facilitate the fascia which is the sheath that covers every muscle.

It's been proven that a tight fascia can restrict muscle growth as there is basically no pliability or room.

Deep Tissue massage is painful...but effective. So is extreme stretching when the muscle is full of blood.

You can read several articles on fascia stretching that substantiate the benefits.

Glad things are going good with you. Sometimes it's best to have a second set of eyes no matter how experienced you are. I'm the first to admit I don't know it all and always looking to learn.

You and FlaPatsFan have really helped motivate me and open my eyes to new ways of training!

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 03:07 PM   #735
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep

Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport

Quote:
Yeah....I guess. But you know how it is.....you go in with certain expectations....and you get bitch slapped back into reality!
Like Henry Rollins says - the iron will never lie to you.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt1589.50

05-09-2019, 03:46 PM   #736
1MOREMOD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Have you ever looked into deep tissue massage? Back when I was really going heavy with legs, I would try and schedule one of those ever other week. They would break up the knots, and most importantly help facilitate the fascia which is the sheath that covers every muscle.

It's been proven that a tight fascia can restrict muscle growth as there is basically no pliability or room.

Deep Tissue massage is painful...but effective. So is extreme stretching when the muscle is full of blood.

You can read several articles on fascia stretching that substantiate the benefits.

Glad things are going good with you. Sometimes it's best to have a second set of eyes no matter how experienced you are. I'm the first to admit I don't know it all and always looking to learn.

You and FlaPatsFan have really helped motivate me and open my eyes to new ways of training!
Yeah he is trying to break down those knots as well as increase flexibility in our sessions now. Programming he sends out and I'm doing solo at this point. Once he gets me sorted a bit then will do more in the gym with him.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 08:58 AM   #737
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yeah he is trying to break down those knots as well as increase flexibility in our sessions now. Programming he sends out and I'm doing solo at this point. Once he gets me sorted a bit then will do more in the gym with him.
I go once every few weeks for trigger point massage, works great for me and I feel back to 100% after. Especially in my hip and low back areas.

I also have a Hyperice vibrating foam roller. The thing is awesome, it takes foam rolling to the next level. It gets deeper into the muscle belly and fibers. I use it before train, religiously.

Finally, I use an inversion table once a day. Picked one up on Craigslist for a steal! It absolutely loosenes/opens up my spine, hips, shoulders etc. Gets the blood flowing to areas that donít normally get it.

These body maintenance techniques and equipment essential for me, which directly impact and help/heal my recovery and training
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 09:16 AM   #738
1MOREMOD
United_States
Rep

Yeah have triggerpoint firm roller and grid ball as well as lacrosse style ball to work with. Seems as soon as I workout I get all knotted up again.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 09:17 AM   #739
DonaldPump
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 13' E92 BSM 335i 6MT

They have been bringing a physio-therapist into work recently. Been having my first go at Graston and cupping treatment.

WOW.
We are the Army of God and we are the truthĒ
-Kanye West
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 09:19 AM   #740
1MOREMOD
United_States
Rep

Does your wife know some chicks been cupping you
Appreciate 1
DonaldPump6024.00

05-14-2019, 01:14 PM   #741
Rmtt
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldPump View Post
They have been bringing a physio-therapist into work recently. Been having my first go at Graston and cupping treatment.

WOW.
Graston is awesome. It's gotten me through some times when I could have just kept inflicting injury, and allowed me to continue training.

Appreciate 1
DonaldPump6024.00

05-14-2019, 01:18 PM   #742
Rmtt
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I go once every few weeks for trigger point massage, works great for me and I feel back to 100% after. Especially in my hip and low back areas.

I also have a Hyperice vibrating foam roller. The thing is awesome, it takes foam rolling to the next level. It gets deeper into the muscle belly and fibers. I use it before train, religiously.

Finally, I use an inversion table once a day. Picked one up on Craigslist for a steal! It absolutely loosenes/opens up my spine, hips, shoulders etc. Gets the blood flowing to areas that donít normally get it.

These body maintenance techniques and equipment essential for me, which directly impact and help/heal my recovery and training
Also been using a foam roller extensively....especially for static stretches with my hip flexors. In the past before foam rollers became popular, I remember rolling out my IT Bands with a paint roller you would buy at any hardware store. Put a 3" roller on it, and just work them over after leg day.

Also I have been using the inversion table we have at my gym daily for almost a year. I really didn't put much stock into it at first as I'm a minimalist type of guy...so it took a few months of friends telling me about it before I even gave it a whirl.

Now I don't know how I lived without it!

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 01:43 PM   #743
Rmtt
Major
United_States
Rep

So my update.....today was back.

Deadlift - 8 sets of 3 reps....all at 465lbs.
Bent Barbell Row - 5 sets of 10 reps at 225lbs.
Weighted pull-ups - 4 sets 10 reps with 45lbs chained to me.

Then I found out a new use for the Rogue Squat Machine with the hook on the platform. I connected a handle to it and found that it's perfect for doing one-arm rows like you would with a dumbbell....but allows you to rotate your grip as you perform the row and really constrict the lats.

All in all a pretty good workout!

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 12:10 PM   #744
1MOREMOD
United_States
Rep

Doing back squat today as my max effort lift, should be interesting been off it for a while. Probably be light and deliberate reps.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 12:15 PM   #745
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Quote:
So my update.....today was back.

Deadlift - 8 sets of 3 reps....all at 465lbs.
Bent Barbell Row - 5 sets of 10 reps at 225lbs.
Weighted pull-ups - 4 sets 10 reps with 45lbs chained to me.

Then I found out a new use for the Rogue Squat Machine with the hook on the platform. I connected a handle to it and found that it's perfect for doing one-arm rows like you would with a dumbbell....but allows you to rotate your grip as you perform the row and really constrict the lats.

All in all a pretty good workout!
Good stuff Rmtt! Some serious volume with DLs! 8x3 at that weight is no joke! The last big DL volume day I did was 5x3 at 455. Just a bit under what you did.

Squats other day went well....worked up to 3x3 at 405. Man, I felt it the next day...deep soreness! Today is garage sesh of Shoulders with the landmine attachment followed by waiter presses with KBs. End with RDLs and hammy stuff. Extra conditioning/endurance after, weather is beautiful here in Florida!
Appreciate 1
Rmtt1589.50

05-15-2019, 03:45 PM   #746
Rmtt
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Doing back squat today as my max effort lift, should be interesting been off it for a while. Probably be light and deliberate reps.
Just take it as it comes and do what you can. I know you immediately want to crush the weight, but I wouldn't chance injuring anything at this time until you get settled in with your new workouts.

You will be beating your previous best lifts before long!

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 03:53 PM   #747
Rmtt
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good stuff Rmtt! Some serious volume with DLs! 8x3 at that weight is no joke! The last big DL volume day I did was 5x3 at 455. Just a bit under what you did.

Squats other day went well....worked up to 3x3 at 405. Man, I felt it the next day...deep soreness! Today is garage sesh of Shoulders with the landmine attachment followed by waiter presses with KBs. End with RDLs and hammy stuff. Extra conditioning/endurance after, weather is beautiful here in Florida!
Thanks! They actually felt really good. I started my diet on Monday, but ate so much during the 3 days before with my daughter's wedding parties that next week I probably won't be able to lift that amount...lol.

The last two mornings we've woken up to mid 40's.....and I have loved it. Gets to about 68 during the day....so it's been nice!

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 03:54 PM   #748
1MOREMOD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just take it as it comes and do what you can. I know you immediately want to crush the weight, but I wouldn't chance injuring anything at this time until you get settled in with your new workouts.

You will be beating your previous best lifts before long!
Yeah not expecting miracles anytime soon or to lift as heavy anymore just more focused on area I wanna work.
Appreciate 0