New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-13-2018, 08:45 AM   #23
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
it's only bizarre to us old dudes, MK. To the kids it makes perfect sense. Case in point, I had an employee come to me, upset about the music that was being played in another department. She claimed the song could be deemed offensive. I apologized on behalf of the company that she had been offended and told her I'd look into it immediately. "Oh no, I'm not offended by the song." She said. OK, I'm confused now. So an offensive song was being played that you were not offended by? "Correct. I actually like that song and I don't take offense to it. But I'm offended that the guys in that department who were playing it did not understand that it could be offensive to someone else....But it's not offensive to me."

OK, so what's my standard of living going to be if I retire now at age 44? I've made it 20 years in the workforce and I'm not sure i'm going to make it another 20 at the rate things are going!
This is an easy one. You're confused because you're not insane. That reasoning is absolutely insane.

Are there any other problems you'd wish for me to solve today? I'm working from home today.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 2
      07-13-2018, 08:57 AM   #24
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
it's only bizarre to us old dudes, MK. To the kids it makes perfect sense. Case in point, I had an employee come to me, upset about the music that was being played in another department. She claimed the song could be deemed offensive. I apologized on behalf of the company that she had been offended and told her I'd look into it immediately. "Oh no, I'm not offended by the song." She said. OK, I'm confused now. So an offensive song was being played that you were not offended by? "Correct. I actually like that song and I don't take offense to it. But I'm offended that the guys in that department who were playing it did not understand that it could be offensive to someone else....But it's not offensive to me."

OK, so what's my standard of living going to be if I retire now at age 44? I've made it 20 years in the workforce and I'm not sure i'm going to make it another 20 at the rate things are going!
Ahh, the "butthurt by proxy" type.
Appreciate 2
DETRoadster11446.00
MKSixer34171.50
      07-13-2018, 09:08 AM   #25
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: M4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
The combination of a complete lack of IRL social skills being developed along with shifting norms means that we are now officially living in Bizzaro Land.

I'm a little offended you didn't explain how you resolved the situation.
DETRoadster11446.00
MKSixer34171.50
      07-13-2018, 09:11 AM   #26
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep

Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
This is an easy one. You're confused because you're not insane. That reasoning is absolutely insane.

Are there any other problems you'd wish for me to solve today? I'm working from home today.
Yes, as a matter of fact I do. This may, however warrant a new thread. Don't want to jack the OP's Meetup thread. Stay tuned. I've got a good one for ya.

Actually, in retrospect, it's probably best I don't go there. Too much HR related stuff up on a public board. Suffice it to say this 20 to 30 year old generation is a total mystery to me.

Last edited by DETRoadster; 07-13-2018 at 09:30 AM..
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      07-13-2018, 09:32 AM   #27
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep

Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I'm a little offended you didn't explain how you resolved the situation.
No real resolution other than to explain to the other department that they need to tone down the music being played as someone complained.

My CFO alerted me to a term for this sort of employee. A "virtue signaler". Had not heard that one before. Fits her like a glove.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410883.50
      07-13-2018, 10:08 AM   #28
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
That shit has way too many people with zero social skills and/or creeps on it. Hard pass. I can only imagine what a trainwreck any dating meetup gatherings would be
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 10:11 AM   #29
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Fire that idiot.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 10:13 AM   #30
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Drives: F80

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Ahh, the "butthurt by proxy" type.
Quote:
No real resolution other than to explain to the other department that they need to tone down the music being played as someone complained.

My CFO alerted me to a term for this sort of employee. A "virtue signaler". Had not heard that one before. Fits her like a glove.
I am still in my twenties but don't really understand my generation. However, these statements are pretty accurate
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 10:24 AM   #31
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep

Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Is there a meetup group for hedonists?
      07-13-2018, 11:42 AM   #32
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
Fire that idiot.

Why? My take on the situation is, an employee is giving a manager a heads up about a situation that may potentially offend other employees or even customers. While she is not offended by the song per se, it may lead to an HR situation if others are. It sounds like she is just being proactive to me. Who knows, without knowing the song, I could be way off base.

I suppose an analogy could be an employee overhears other employees speaking in a manner that could be offensive to some, while not being personally offended. Speaking up about it could nip the issue in the bud before it potentially gets worse.

Last edited by JasonCSU; 07-13-2018 at 01:42 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2018, 11:53 AM   #33
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
It's kind of amusing that people think it is weird for groups with common interests to meet up. As mentioned above, I think the weirdness is really determined by the interest or focus of the group.

I got to speaking with an acquaintance about motorsports once, and he mentioned that if I like F1 there is a meetup group for watching the races together. Watching races with other enthusiasts didn't seem weird to me. Now those furry meetup groups on the other hand...
      07-13-2018, 11:54 AM   #34
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
You're here. Congratulations.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 11:56 AM   #35
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:

Jesus fucking christ, what a joke, harden the fuck up. Jesus.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34171.50
DETRoadster11446.00
      07-13-2018, 11:58 AM   #36
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
It's kind of amusing that people think it is weird for groups with common interests to meet up. As mentioned above, I think the weirdness is really determined by the interest or focus of the group.

I got to speaking with an acquaintance about motorsports once, and he mentioned that if I like F1 there is a meetup group for watching the races together. Watching races with other enthusiasts didn't seem weird to me. Now those furry meetup groups on the other hand...
The way you met up with your acquaintance is perfectly normal. All the social cues from F2F communication are there and you can assess the situation in situ. The way Meetup seems it that you can go there for the F1 meet-up, turn into the wrong place and BAM...You're in furry land. As the special guest of honor. With a suit that has opening that are just not right.

I'm here to help.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 12:22 PM   #37
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Drives: No BMW for now

Nothing but great experiences with meetup.com.

Latest one is a group of folks in my neighborhood who work out together. A former fire-fighter who is now a personal trainer offers a free Sunday morning class in a park complete with ropes, sleds, tires, etc. She's providing a great service for free, and it really makes you feel good about the community.

I guess if you live in a weird area with weird people doing weird things, meeting up with others might be... weird? One thing that comes to mind in that case - is everyone else weird, or is it you? Just something to think about. Perhaps you could meet up with others to discuss it, but then again maybe that would be... weird. Deep thoughts for you to ponder.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34171.50
      07-13-2018, 12:29 PM   #38
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 09 E92 335i

Come on people, as said there are weird people everywhere and even EACH and EVERY one of you(me included) can probably be considered weird in at least one aspect, I know I can.

Seems like a cool site and I will definitely check out some groups around me. Thanks for starting this thread, I never even knew of meetup.com
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      07-13-2018, 12:37 PM   #39
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: M235i

I’ve never used it but it’s not any more strange than the meets organized on forums like this.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2018, 01:40 PM   #40
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Why? My take on the situation is, an employee is giving a manager a heads up about a situation that may potentially offend other employees or even customers. While she is not offended by the song per se, it may lead to an HR situation if others are. It sounds like she is just being proactive to me. Who knows, without knowing the song, I could be way off base.

I suppose an analogy could be an employee overhears other employees speaking in a manor that could be offensive to some, while not being personally offended. Speaking up about it could nip the issue in the bud before it potentially gets worse.
Obviously, no one was offended since no one came forward. Gets worse? Again, there is no issue. OMG someone played a song! I don't want to hear Taylor Swift when I walk into a store, but do I go complain to the manager? No.

Stop. Just. Stop.

Last edited by Never_Enough; 07-16-2018 at 08:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 01:41 PM   #41
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
Come on people, as said there are weird people everywhere and even EACH and EVERY one of you(me included) can probably be considered weird in at least one aspect, I know I can.

Seems like a cool site and I will definitely check out some groups around me. Thanks for starting this thread, I never even knew of meetup.com
Is there a meetup site/group for folks like me that don't want to be bothered by anyone?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 01:43 PM   #42
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I can't speak for everyone else, but I never said the weird part was a common interest. It depends on what said interest is & who the people going are. Spend some time on a dating site/app. You will want to stab yourself to death with all the morons & creeps you run into.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 02:08 PM   #43
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
Obviously, no one was offended since no one came forward. Gets worse? Again, there is no issue. OMG someone played a song! I don't want to hear Taylor Swift when I want into a store, but so I go complain to the manager? No.

Stop. Just. Stop.

No one came forward in this instance, maybe next time if others hear it though. I'm assuming the song has language that some may find offensive, hence the whole point of bringing it up. Again, I really have no idea without knowing the song. Assuming music playing does have language that can offend other employees or customers, then yes, there is an issue. The offended party then complains to HR or management; that's how it gets worse.

If this is just music playing from an FM/AM station that you just don't like, then yeah, that is ridiculous.
      07-13-2018, 02:32 PM   #44
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep

Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
You're here. Congratulations.
Is there a secret section I don't know about?