New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

03-18-2024, 03:23 PM   #1
Alvin Mpower
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Daily a Wrapped car?

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about wrapping my M4 in KPMF gloss green iridescent, and is worry about the durability of it from daily abuse. I currently have PPF on and its pretty beat up, my last car didn't have anything and the whole front bumper is super beat up. I was wondering how wrap is going to hold up if you daily drive your car and take it on long drives occasionally, if it's worth it. Don't plan to ppf the wrap since the wrap job already cost 3k and I don't plan to spend any more money, it will be ceramic coated by the shop. Anyone have photos of their front bumper wrap beat up from daily driving? The shop said the beat up is unavoidable, but they can rewrap it in after its beat up. Obviously its gonna cost me more money, not sure if it's worth doing it. Thanks.
      03-18-2024, 04:09 PM   #2
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I wouldn't. From the 5+ foot view, wraps can look pretty good, but when you get up close, you'll see the flaws and there will be many, no matter how good your shop is. As a couple years gets on the wrap, it will start to pull away/lift from edges exposed to rain water and such. You can fix that with some adhesive but it will look pretty bad as time goes on. Wraps also don't have the pop, depth, and luster of a painted surface. Lastly, wraps can damage clearcoat over time (especially if exposed to high heat/UV) and worse, some shops can damage the clearcoat when cutting the wrap on the certain portions of the car.

I'd have the front end rewrapped and save yourself the money and headache.
      03-18-2024, 06:02 PM   #3
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Don’t do it
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 07:26 PM   #4
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Yes

Most wraps look like complete trash after 6 months. All of them do after a year.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 07:59 PM   #5
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

If I needed to change the color of my car and it was daily driven, I would look into the sprayable wrap Auto Flex Gloss. No affiliation

"...four or so coats of a black undercoating, four coats of the “paint” with a flex agent, and two coats of a clearcoat.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1530010

They mix any color, but would probably be tough to get the iridescent effect in this product, not sure.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 01:20 AM   #6
DocOfTheDead
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2023 M4 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
Most wraps look like complete trash after 6 months. All of them do after a year.
Completely inaccurate.
Appreciate 0