E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Looking for tips and advice on racing seats for E92

12-23-2008, 04:38 PM   #23
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
How about these?

simulators for the side air bags and passenger seat occupancy sensors coded out.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160615
I'll be giving you a ring to get more details. Very much what I was looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Nazareno View Post
I'm in the US, so probably not the best guy to go a group buy with....

I've also seen some people run a scroth 4pt harness that is DOT approved and engineering with an anti submarine feature (i dont know much about the tech behind this) i personally would not use these since the shoulder straps are incorrect without a harness bar/cage, but just wanted to mention it as something others have done, and let you judge whether you are comfortable with the setup
The Schroth 4 point aren't available for the E92. That would have been perfect for the level of driving I do in conjunction with the seats I was contemplating on getting. Let's hope they have the Quickfit/pro for early 2009.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
Really? Strage, I find the adjustable side bolsters very good at the track..
Did you try inflating them all the way even if it feels snug uncomfortable?
They do hold you in place on the track in my experience
I pumped up the side bolsters fully. They feel quite comfortable actually. Pleasantly snug. I'm 5'9" 170lbs. They don't hold me in place to well. Bummer. I think I paid $2400 for the Sports option. Seats and upgraded wheels. Phooey.
      12-23-2008, 05:14 PM   #24
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
Thanks for the heads up on the 4 point harnesses. Noob question here, how about using the rear child seat anchors to secure the shoulder harness, if you don't have a roll cage?
I don't know. I'm not sure what load ratings those latch child seat anchors are designed for. I personally would not chance it. And I wouldn't use the rear seat buckles either since the shoulder belts would angle downwards (ie spine hurting angle)

As for the seats/belts for passenger, I haven't read the BMWCCA club rules. In NASA HPDE the passenger restraints/seat have to meet the 'same minimum requirements' as the driver restraints/seat. Since the OEM DOT approve seat belts are permissible for the driver, they are permissible for the passenger, regardless of what the driver is using (ie you could have OE belts for passenger and something different for yourself)
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 08:21 PM   #25
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

I get a very tight hold with the CG Lock and sport seats.

I would not risk a fourpoint (submarine city!) and I wouldn't put in a 5 point without a roll cage.

Personally, and I guess because the CG/sportseat system works well for me, I'd buy a cage first. I've seen rolled non-caged cars and rolled caged cars. I know I'm taking a huge risk and it has, more than once, made me want to buy a full blown track car, even if it's slower than the 335i.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 11:44 PM   #26
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
Not sure if BMWs have this feature (I keep forgetting to try), but my friend's Corvette does, and so do the Toyota's I've driven.

while you are sitting in your car, buckled in, pull your shoulder belt ALL the way out to the end of its travel (probably need to go hand-over-hand to do this). At the end of travel, give it a firm pull so that you hear it catch. Now *slowly* let the seatbelt back in, and (if this works on BMWs) you will hear a ratcheting noise as the belt is retracting. take it all the way back against your chest, and then a bit more so that it's tight against your body.

If the feature works, the belt is locked into position and very snug. it will not pull out and will hold you in place until you release the buckle, and allow it to retract all the way back.

I've done this on my friend's C6 corvette, and it helped a lot while we were on the track.
You are on to something! One of my instructor moved the seat the most it can to the rear, buckled up and moved seat forward, couldn't remember if he was pulling the shoulder belt. I'll need to give this a try.

But does anyone know if it is safe in a crash when you have no play at all on the seatbelts?
      12-24-2008, 02:09 AM   #27
Turbo>NA
xbox gamertag: HuGeBluEmOnKeY
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M-Sport LCI

Custom PP Recaros

/thread

E92 335i alpine white | black dokota | auto | zpp | zsp | heated | iPod
- ltbmw : vorsteiner : linea corsa : h&r : k&n : e92-lighting : expectalot-vinyl -
--GONE--
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 02:33 AM   #28
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
We Canadians always get screwed Everything is more expensive here
Is real estate over $800/sqft in Canada too?

see.. its not EVERYTHING
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 03:06 AM   #29
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalaxy View Post
I'll be giving you a ring to get more details. Very much what I was looking for.

Call on Jan. 5th as we are closed for the Holidays.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 06:35 PM   #30
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastman View Post
I get a very tight hold with the CG Lock and sport seats.

I would not risk a fourpoint (submarine city!) and I wouldn't put in a 5 point without a roll cage.

Personally, and I guess because the CG/sportseat system works well for me, I'd buy a cage first. I've seen rolled non-caged cars and rolled caged cars. I know I'm taking a huge risk and it has, more than once, made me want to buy a full blown track car, even if it's slower than the 335i.
I'd consider cannibalizing the 335XI if I could reign in the suspension issues. I'm thinking more and more that a full blown track care is the way to go and have been looking into used M3 E46s for the task. In the mean time, I', trying to find a happy balance in the E92 without spending a mint or compromising on safety given my level of speed and skill on the track.
      12-24-2008, 06:56 PM   #31
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Is real estate over $800/sqft in Canada too?

see.. its not EVERYTHING
You're right about that, I stand corrected. To be specific, we Canadians get screwed on all consumer items, cars, car parts, electronics, airfares etc etc. easily +20 to +35 % (fwiw our houses may cost less but our mortgage interest is not deductible, and our top tax bracket is 50% on a lower salary )
      12-24-2008, 06:58 PM   #32
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I'd consider cannibalizing the 335XI if I could reign in the suspension issues. I'm thinking more and more that a full blown track care is the way to go and have been looking into used M3 E46s for the task. In the mean time, I', trying to find a happy balance in the E92 without spending a mint or compromising on safety given my level of speed and skill on the track.
Ok Nick, let's put $15K each and get a track prepped e46 we can share
      12-24-2008, 08:21 PM   #33
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
You're right about that, I stand corrected. To be specific, we Canadians get screwed on all consumer items, cars, car parts, electronics, airfares etc etc. easily +20 to +35 % (fwiw our houses may cost less but our mortgage interest is not deductible, and our top tax bracket is 50% on a lower salary )
Tell you what buddy, if you think you can find enough people with $$ in Canada who are sick of the auto pricing disparity we can get an import/export biz going haha

My vote for a $15k 'track car' is a 'spec' car (spec miata/focus/SE-R/E30 etc) or a 'honda challenge' car

I am scared of the maintenance, repair, and consumables cost to keep a E46 m3 that sees heavy track use in running condition (which is why I am in a E90 328 instead of a E46 M3).
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2008, 11:14 AM   #34
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Actually, we can't do that with new BMW's anymore, as lots of people were getting their new bimmer down south and BMW canada made it harder by requiring instrument cluster to be changed and needed to pay some $500 for a certificate with warranty work in limbo. So that put an end to this thought. Older cars you can still do it.

So you think getting an e46 M3 is too high maintenance for tracking?
      12-25-2008, 01:19 PM   #35
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Actually, we can't do that with new BMW's anymore, as lots of people were getting their new bimmer down south and BMW canada made it harder by requiring instrument cluster to be changed and needed to pay some $500 for a certificate with warranty work in limbo. So that put an end to this thought. Older cars you can still do it.

I was going to ask the same question on why you think an M3 E46 is too high maintenance. If you know your going to swap out some suspension parts and beef up the famous frame weakness what else is typically left?
      12-28-2008, 03:40 AM   #36
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

For me,
yes it is too expensive to own/maintain E46 M3.

Without going into the gory details I owned a WRX for 27 months. Nothing broke, I drove it hard and often and followed the manufacturer's 'severe service' maintenance guidelines. When the dust settled I had racked up an average of $230/mo in maintenance costs. I'm positive E46 M3 will cost much more than this, simply because the parts are more expensive

There are obviously many who don't even blink when faced with $1000+ cost of Inspection 2, so this idea of E46 M3 being 'too costly' to maintain is clearly a relative concept that depends on person's frame of reference and wallet size
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 11:48 AM   #37
TheMadDutchman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
How about these?

simulators for the side air bags and passenger seat occupancy sensors coded out.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160615

Harold at HP Autowerks has done all the foot work for Recaro fitment. I have gone for a ride in his car. The seats make a huge difference!!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 11:29 PM   #38
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadDutchman View Post
Harold at HP Autowerks has done all the foot work for Recaro fitment. I have gone for a ride in his car. The seats make a huge difference!!
The seats look sharp. I'll be giving Harold a ring next week.
      12-28-2008, 11:47 PM   #39
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
The seats look sharp. I'll be giving Harold a ring next week.
Not sure what rules are in effect at the track dates you go to, but my unsolicited $0.02 is that before i would go through the expense and hassle of an aftermarket seat i would make sure the entire setup (seat AND mounting (mounting seems to be where most run into trouble with rules because of the 'custom' nature of the mounts)) is homologated to FIA 8855-1999. keep in mind the homologation is good for 5 years from the date of manufacture

ttp://www.fia.com/resources/documents/895276808__8855_1999_Competition_seat.pdf

If the setup isn't homologated you may have to go through some hassles to get a custom seat brace fitted. here is an example from the NASA CCR

15.6.22 Seat Back Support
A seatback support must be made to hold the seat from going back in the event of a crash. A plate should be used to distribute the load. No bolts, corners, or sharp objects should be placed in such a manner that could lead to a possible puncture of the driver in a high impact crash. Proper design and installation is crucial to safety and it is recommended that the driver employ the services of a professional race car builder for this, as well as all other vehicle safety items. An exception may be made for those seats homologated to, and mounted in accordance, with FIA 8855-1999 standards. Those seats that qualify for the aforementioned exception must conform to the entire FIA 8855-1999 set of regulations. This includes a mandatory seat replacement, or use of a seat back brace, for any seat more than five (5) years old. Please reference the FIA regulations. http://www.fia.com/

In the interest of full disclosure, I've never owned a vehicle with non OEM safety equipment. Cost to 'do it right' and potential for tech hassles has kept me stock

best of luck with your purchase and keep us updated
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 11:50 PM   #40
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Actually, we can't do that with new BMW's anymore,
I'm in toronto (markham) right now, and I don't see many E9x around. i thought maybe everyone is back in HK for holidays so no nice cars around? haha

then i picked up the 'wheels' section of toronto star and saw that base MSRP of 323i (i didn't even know that was still sold) is $34k cdn and 328xi is $42k that's probably the real reason there aren't many around
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 01:32 AM   #41
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Not sure what rules are in effect at the track dates you go to, but my unsolicited $0.02 is that before i would go through the expense and hassle of an aftermarket seat i would make sure the entire setup (seat AND mounting (mounting seems to be where most run into trouble with rules because of the 'custom' nature of the mounts)) is homologated to FIA 8855-1999. keep in mind the homologation is good for 5 years from the date of manufacture

ttp://www.fia.com/resources/documents/895276808__8855_1999_Competition_seat.pdf

If the setup isn't homologated you may have to go through some hassles to get a custom seat brace fitted. here is an example from the NASA CCR

15.6.22 Seat Back Support
A seatback support must be made to hold the seat from going back in the event of a crash. A plate should be used to distribute the load. No bolts, corners, or sharp objects should be placed in such a manner that could lead to a possible puncture of the driver in a high impact crash. Proper design and installation is crucial to safety and it is recommended that the driver employ the services of a professional race car builder for this, as well as all other vehicle safety items. An exception may be made for those seats homologated to, and mounted in accordance, with FIA 8855-1999 standards. Those seats that qualify for the aforementioned exception must conform to the entire FIA 8855-1999 set of regulations. This includes a mandatory seat replacement, or use of a seat back brace, for any seat more than five (5) years old. Please reference the FIA regulations. http://www.fia.com/

In the interest of full disclosure, I've never owned a vehicle with non OEM safety equipment. Cost to 'do it right' and potential for tech hassles has kept me stock

best of luck with your purchase and keep us updated
Good tips. So far the tracks that I've driven on only require that similar seats be installed in pairs. I'll look into details from my local BMW racing club and the other two groups I run with before I take the plunge. There is no sense in dropping $2K+ and not being able to use them, or worse, introducing an unsafe setup.
      12-31-2008, 03:06 AM   #42
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
There is no sense in dropping $2K+ and not being able to use them, or worse, introducing an unsafe setup.
FWIW, i think if you are looking for that 'bolted to the seat feeling' it is more the harness than the seat that will get you there..

I rode in these, which are pretty similar to the seats you are looking at, with the factory 3pt belt and i didn't feel much more secure than in my E90. kind of a marginal difference, and these seats were uncomfortable

Also rode in these, with much less bolstering but 6pt harnesses and i did not move

Appreciate 0