F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 2014 428i Repeat Axle Shaft Failures
Extreme Powerhouse

05-01-2024, 07:12 PM   #1
EdInNEPA
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i xDrive

2014 428i Repeat Axle Shaft Failures

A couple years ago my front right axle shaft disintegrated at the inner joint. It was replaced with an OE replacement. Twice in the last six months the OE was identified as popped out of the differential and reseated by two different dealers.

A couple weeks ago I replaced the axle with Genuine BMW replacement axle. During test drive the front left axle shaft disintegrated inside the inner boot. So, I ordered up a genuine BMW front left axle shaft and replaced it.

I had an Oil Filter Housing Gasket I was in process of replacing and ended up replacing the upper radiator coolant hose, so I did not get an opportunity to take it out until this past weekend. BAM!! On acceleration the front right axle disintegrated at the inner joint again!!

Any ideas what might be causing this? I have a feeling it may be motor mounts, but there does not seem to be major play in them.

Lower control arms were replaced on both sides 2 years ago, and there is no play in them. Balljoints and struts have been scrutinized as well, and don't appear to be problematic.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 08:04 PM   #2
EdInNEPA
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i xDrive

428i axle failure

Photos attached. I changed the front differential oil and put new drain and fill plugs in before my most recent front right drive axle failure. The motor mounts were definitely bad. The attached pictures show a dent in the fill plug and the corresponding impact location on the motor mount installation location. The engine and differential shifted that far left and then some to pull the right front axlw apart at the inner boot.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0