New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

01-05-2017, 12:27 PM   #23
Beartato
Major
Rep

Drives: M235i

Lane discipline? What the heck is that? I'm in Utah, people drive in whatever lane they want at whatever speed they want.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 12:41 PM   #24
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc
1, then 5 after I get in front of him, or sometimes a sideways gesture. Idiots never get the hint, or decide to move over after I already started my passing maneuver.
That's why I don't pass slow moving idiots on the right. Yes I get annoyed and it wastes bit of my time, but like Viper told Maverick better to retire and save the aircraft than push a bad situation.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 01:06 PM   #25
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

It's still generally the fastest in all the places I've been to. If you've been to the Seattle area, you'll always get stuck behind some left lane hog in a Subaru Outback or Prius. I go BMW on them and speed by blaring the horn, and get in front without using my turn signal.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 01:26 PM   #26
ShakyDog
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Alpine White/Red

Illinois is the land of the 'Left Lane Bandit' they will get over there and just sit. I can be up their ass and they will not move. Passing on the right is the only way to get around them, they will not move over. I also noticed two Ohio drivers doing this same thing. I am not too sure why people just like to camp out in the passing lane.

Steve
(From Missouri)
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 01:59 PM   #27
cruisingdownthestreet
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Drives: Z4

the psychology of freeway driving is that since the lane closest to the median, aka "fast lane," people falsely perceive themselves as more qualified "fast drivers." they often dictate how fast they can go and subjugate everyone behind them to their will. most, if not all, are oblivious to their surroundings, have no common sense or decency. dunning-kruger efftect at its finest.

i really believe there needs to be regulations on who and what kind of cars are allowed to be in the 2 fastest lanes. like those "clean air vehicles" with stickers on the cars. a "1" sticker denotes drivers is intelligent and qualified to drive in fast lanes. "2" denotes driver does not posses the intelligence and does not qualify to driver in the fast lanes, a "2" car caught driving in the faste lanes will be cited $5,000 or vehicle confiscation. a second citation is felony, vehicle confiscation and license ban.
      01-05-2017, 02:05 PM   #28
VRG_135
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2012 Silver 135 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingdownthestreet View Post
the psychology of freeway driving is that since the lane closest to the median, aka "fast lane," people falsely perceive themselves as more qualified "fast drivers." they often dictate how fast they can go and subjugate everyone behind them to their will. most, if not all, are oblivious to their surroundings, have no common sense or decency. dunning-kruger efftect at its finest.

That's what I think also!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 03:01 PM   #29
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep

Drives: Deezul

Nothing aggravates me more than someone holding up traffic by driving slow in the left lane, completely being an inconsiderate douchebag. If they move over after a flash, then all is fine, if they slow down like the dickhead they are, then I roll coal on them.
      01-06-2017, 09:22 AM   #30
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker335d View Post
Nothing aggravates me more than someone holding up traffic by driving slow in the left lane, completely being an inconsiderate douchebag. If they move over after a flash, then all is fine, if they slow down like the dickhead they are, then I roll coal on them.
So you are basically trying to cause road-rage? Wow, you must be pretty hot stuff.
      01-06-2017, 09:35 AM   #31
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRG_135 View Post
I've noticed, over the years, that the left lane is almost always the slowest lane in rush hour traffic. Is that true in your area? I'm in Dallas. I think its because most people think its going to be the faster lane, so more cars are in that lane. Thoughts?
Interesting topic.

I've notice this phenomenon too. My thoughts are:

a) While the instantaneous speed of the left lane (or lanes) very often drops below that of the right lane (or lanes) in heavy traffic, the average speed may indeed be higher. Even when you look over to the left and notice how many people you are passing, it might not be that you ultimately get through the heavy traffic sooner than they do due to continuous changes in traffic volume in both lanes.

b) The right lane often experiences periods of low volume simply because many people are exiting from it. By the same token, it can have periods of high volume due to a large number of vehicles entering, or due to the exit lane backing up because of insufficient capacity on the adjoining surface streets.

c) Switching to the "best" lane at any given time isn't necessarily easy, or even possible, and can be dangerous (or at least, not without some risk) depending on circumstances.

d) Some drivers not only don't want the bother of switching to another, more freely moving lane when they know they will ultimately want to be in the one they are in currently, some actually think it is not polite to do so. Such drivers may feel guilty about making the switch. Maybe they are willing to do it once or twice, but no more. So they just give up. Plus, some of these drivers notice others switching lanes and get frustrated, upset, or just annoyed by it. Perhaps then they actively make it hard for others to driver in that manner - trying anything to keep gaps in their lanes closed. It can be stressful for some to navigate with such game-play going on.

Over time, if you pay attention, have a good memory, don't mind the effort or switching lanes (or perhaps even enjoy the challenge), and have a certain intuition about these things, you learn to understand the traffic patterns and other drivers behaviors and can take advantage of them and leverage them to your benefit.

By the same token, many folks just don't care. They have budgeted their commute time based on their driving habits, which include the least amount of mental effort and driver-to-driver drama. For them, just staying in one lane works out best. Maybe that lane choice should not be the left lane or other left-of-center lanes, but as I say its not always an elementary task to determine which one is best in the long run. Plus, ten minutes difference one way or the other in your commute start time can have a big impact on which lanes are optimal. In the end most people don't want to think that hard about it - they just want an easily repeatable routine where they know the worst case time, can live with that, and consider it a bonus when - for reasons they don't even choose to reason through or speculate on - that time is less on any particular day.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 10:16 AM   #32
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

My other pet peeve is those who don't know how to switch lanes. If you put your turn signal on and get in position where I can see you, I'll let you in.
Appreciate 1
VRG_135836.50
      01-06-2017, 11:39 AM   #33
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Slightly off topic but still under the umbrella of annoying BS, WTF is wrong with people driving around with snow piled on the roof of their car? First snow in Philly last night, half the cars on the highway this morning were still covered and snow was flying everywhere. How hard is it to take 30 seconds to clean off the roof so that giant chunks of snow and ice don't hit other cars?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 11:52 AM   #34
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2016 ZCP M3

What is snow?
      01-06-2017, 12:50 PM   #35
Beartato
Major
Rep

Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Slightly off topic but still under the umbrella of annoying BS, WTF is wrong with people driving around with snow piled on the roof of their car? First snow in Philly last night, half the cars on the highway this morning were still covered and snow was flying everywhere. How hard is it to take 30 seconds to clean off the roof so that giant chunks of snow and ice don't hit other cars?
This has been my life since November.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      01-06-2017, 01:38 PM   #36
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

I'm also in Dallas. I rode sportbikes in this city for nearly a decade (yes, partially to commute to work) and lived in Europe for several years, so believe me when I say I have broken the driving culture here down to a science -- if I hadn't, I'd probably be dead.

(I'm about to say some things that some may consider borderline racist, but they're not -- they're cultural. Big difference.)

The left-lane hogs here are numerous, but can be broken down into several categories:
- Those who do it on purpose to assert some form of superiority
- Those who are clueless to their surroundings, and who consider the road theirs and no one else's
- Those who (as mentioned previously) think the left lane is the fastest lane, even if it's going slower consistently
- Those who consider the left lane inherently safer because large traffic (trucks, 18-wheelers) doesn't use it -- or can't by law, as on I-30 westbound from just outside of Dallas through Fort Worth
- Those who come from cultures where the left lane is actually the slowest (this is my theory with some Asian drivers) or where there is even less lane discipline than in the U.S. (i.e., much of Latin America)

When riding a motorcycle in city traffic, you learn quickly how to 'profile' drivers by the types of vehicles they're driving -- and you learn just as quickly that there is a cultural pattern present no matter what's being driven. Among the left-lane hogs are:
- Some people of African descent. I can't say African Americans because I frankly don't know for certain. But there is a distinct cultural component here that has to do with asserting superiority and 'being noticed'.
- Certain Asians. Especially west Asians: Japanese, Koreans, some Chinese, Vietnamese. This is a cultural aversion to taking bodily risks in these cultures, so first- and second-generation Asians tend to drive slow and very purposefully.
- Some Latin Americans. Some won't speed no matter what the traffic around them is doing. Why? Probably because they're minimizing their chance of being pulled over. Why? They're likely illegal, or have something illegal in the vehicle.)

I've spoken to cops about all of this -- including motorcycle cops. The statements above were all backed up by their experiences as well.

That said, there are other left-lane hogs here:
- The aforementioned 'clueless' driver distracted by other things. Tends to be middle class or higher and drive a relatively boring vehicle. Businessmen, 'soccer' moms, nascent dystopes, etc.
- Some outwardly religious and conservative types (we have more than our fair share here) who basically consider it a sin to even think about breaking any law -- even a speed limit. Combine that with cluelessness and/or ignorance, and well ...
- The 'I was here first' crowd. Basically, these are faster folk who, if they're in the left lane and you come up on them, they will not move over no matter what. (I usually buzz by on the right, then swing back into their lane quickly. Half the time this wakes them up, and they get over. Eventually.)
- Travelers who are simply trying to get through an area they're unfamiliar with as quickly as possible.

When I rode -- and, now, when I drive -- I do my best to stay ahead of traffic. It keeps you alive. So I weave, safely: always use turn signals, never change lanes in someone else's blind spot, etc. You have to to keep speed up. I flash headlights sometimes, but only once or twice -- after that, I look for an opportunity to pass. On the right. Even on an Interstate where it's illegal, because the cops here know as well as we do that lane discipline can't be legislated, so if you pass on the right within reason and safely, they pretty much won't do anything.
Appreciate 1
Beartato881.50
      01-06-2017, 01:38 PM   #37
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep

Drives: Deezul

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes
Quote:
So you are basically trying to cause road-rage? Wow, you must be pretty hot stuff.
I couldn't care less about how they react to me, they are the ones holding up traffic by not letting anyone get by.
      01-06-2017, 01:48 PM   #38
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post
My other pet peeve is those who don't know how to switch lanes. If you put your turn signal on and get in position where I can see you, I'll let you in.
For the record: I won't. Driving is a privilege; wanting a spot in the lane I'm in is even more of a privilege. I'm there already, so I have the 'right' of way. They're not there yet; they don't have a 'right' to be where I am. Ergo, they can wait their turn to be where I already am.

Basically, those who feel they have a right to be where I already am are going about operating a vehicle completely the wrong way.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2017, 01:50 PM   #39
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I couldn't care less about how they react to me, they are the ones holding up traffic by not letting anyone get by.
And they are also the ones that, statistically speaking, are the biggest cause of multicar highway accidents in the U.S. So: right there with you, bro.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 01:54 PM   #40
shad0wfax
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 M3 (E92)

Here in WA we have a law to keep right except to pass.

It's neither followed nor enforced.
Appreciate 3
      01-06-2017, 02:04 PM   #41
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockin330i View Post
What is snow?
If you're in Dallas, it's what's falling right about now.

(Yes: it's snowing here!)
Appreciate 1
VRG_135836.50
      01-06-2017, 02:16 PM   #42
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockin330i View Post
What is snow?
If you're in Dallas, it's what's falling right about now.

(Yes: it's snowing here!)
Yeah, and folks are driving 20. It's snow, there's no ice. I was doing 75 until I can up on a gaggle of fools on the 35 Express doing 20, side by side. Absolutely no reason for that.

Your other post reminds me of the US coverage of the Canadian GP when they congratulated Lewis Hamilton for being the first African American to win an F1 race. I'm sure he was surprised to know he was American.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 02:44 PM   #43
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
For the record: I won't. Driving is a privilege; wanting a spot in the lane I'm in is even more of a privilege. I'm there already, so I have the 'right' of way. They're not there yet; they don't have a 'right' to be where I am. Ergo, they can wait their turn to be where I already am.

Basically, those who feel they have a right to be where I already am are going about operating a vehicle completely the wrong way.
I've never gotten a good answer to this. 3 lane highway, car in left, car in right, center empty. Both want to change lanes into center at same time. Who has right of way, technically/legally/whatever?

Part of me says I do after I drop it a gear and get on the throttle so it's a non issue! Rationally I could see argument for person in left. My "right of way" logic is mildly skewed though. I am a huge proponent of more expensive car always has right of way and fee-based highway systems where you could pay something along the lines of $5K per year for a VIP driving pass similar to an Autobahn vigntte and there are certain highways that you can only access with this "pay-to-play" model to cut down on traffic. Basically throw money at the problem if you can to make it go away.

While we are bitching here may as well add there are some good guys out there. Pulled up to a stop sign and a dude in a big truck was there first, obvs had right of way. He waved me out, had my top down and he yelled "no point in my slowing you up in your fancy speed machine."
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      01-06-2017, 03:18 PM   #44
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
I've never gotten a good answer to this. 3 lane highway, car in left, car in right, center empty. Both want to change lanes into center at same time. Who has right of way, technically/legally/whatever?

Part of me says I do after I drop it a gear and get on the throttle so it's a non issue! Rationally I could see argument for person in left. My "right of way" logic is mildly skewed though. I am a huge proponent of more expensive car always has right of way and fee-based highway systems where you could pay something along the lines of $5K per year for a VIP driving pass similar to an Autobahn vigntte and there are certain highways that you can only access with this "pay-to-play" model to cut down on traffic. Basically throw money at the problem if you can to make it go away.

While we are bitching here may as well add there are some good guys out there. Pulled up to a stop sign and a dude in a big truck was there first, obvs had right of way. He waved me out, had my top down and he yelled "no point in my slowing you up in your fancy speed machine."
Well, it's a different situation when two vehicles are merging into the same lane. I tend to acquiesce and be that "nice guy", because I generally am that "nice guy" despite what I said previously. (Another "nice guy" situation: at a 4-way stop, I'll let someone who's obviously in a hurry go before me, even if I stopped sooner.)

Hey now ... money doesn't solve every situation, particularly when your average driver has no clue which car costs what amount of money. (Example: I guarantee most people think pickup trucks top out at $40k. That's the average price of one 'round these parts!) General driving habits are cultural more than anything else. One sojourn in Italy, then Osaka, then Quito, then Tangier (all places in which I've rented a car; I've been a passenger many other places, from Dehli to Stockholm) will tell you that.
Appreciate 0