New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

05-23-2019, 05:43 PM   #23
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post
Great car. I've had my S5 for about a year and a half now. While I have enjoyed driving it, I have a couple reservations that may keep me from getting another Audi.
Please do tell, I'm curious too since I am looking into the brand.
      05-23-2019, 06:53 PM   #24
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher View Post
Dont leave us hanging...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Please do tell, I'm curious too since I am looking into the brand.
Alright. Ya'll ready? Here goes.....

1.) Lighting: The lights on the S5 are fantastic. The LED lights have a very nice wide beam pattern and with the low beam lights coded on with high beam, they light up the road and them some when the high beams are on. I do have two major gripes with the headlights. 1.) headlights is that they are not adaptive and do not turn with the steering wheel. 2.) The cornering lamps that turn are are barely noticeable or turn on really late. Audi's main competitors, BMW and Mercedes both offer this feature.. I live in an area where deer love to come put and play at night and I have very curvy roads. I would like to see what's around the bend before I get there. I don't know if it is just me but they cornering lamps are either really dim or just turn on really late. They help when I am turning into my driveway, but they are barely noticeable when I'm turning at an intersection.

2.The transmission on my S5 is very good. It's the ZF 8 speed. You will hear a lot of people complain about the infamous delay or lag which I do not have and have never had. What I do experience is the transmission holding on to gears too long and in turn the car starts to shake really badly and make a stalling sound. The car makes that sound that manual cars make when they're about to stall at times, especially when I'm trying to back into my garage. Audi needs to work on tuning the ZF 8 speed. I have now driven a multitude of cars with this transmission and none of them exhibit this behavior. Other than that, shifts are crisp and actually quick. I'm averaging 24.7 MPG with a mix of highway and city.

3. The interior of the S5 is all Audi. The cabin is made of great high quality materials and the leather is great. There are a few places where I think Audi could have stepped it up a little like the dash. Audi's two main competitors both offer a faux leather contrast stitched dash. Would really add some 'oomph' to the cabin. I have yet to sit in the G20 3 series so I cannot comment on how well it stacks up against that but what I can tell you that it wipes the floor with the F30 and it is not even a comparison. I don't hear a single rattle in the car a year and a half later. It is amazing.

4. The S5 offers a host of technology. I do think Audi is lagging behind just a little bit in terms of lighting technology and maybe a little in the infotainment area. The MMI never understands me and trying to use the Nav system is a process and entering in an address takes a little bit of time. I do love how simple it is to navigate and use though. Everything is pretty easy to find and logically placed. I do have an issue when I try to pair my iPhone XS Max though sometimes. It won't connect and I have to toggle Bluetooth on and off for it to connect. Another technological piece that I also want Auto Hold.

5. I think Audi needs to add is direct TPMS. In 2019, not knowing what my tire pressure is without having to measure all four individually is inexcusable. If BMW and Mercedes are able to do it, I'm pretty sure Audi has the means to do it as well. It's a minimal cost in the grand scheme of things.

6. Suspension / Drive

7. The suspension on the S5 is absolutely fantastic for a daily driver. Compared to the F30 and the Mercedes in terms of comfort, I don't think it is even fair. The S5 loves eating up the miles and does so without sacrificing the comfort of the passengers. Now, that comes with a a small price. Personally, I think the S5 needs to be a little stiffer especially in Dynamic. I also think the S5 has no right being the same ride height of a normal A5 coupe. The S5 is suppose to be the 'sportier' option. Lower it my 10mm or so to give the S5 that sportier feel. What I am going to complain about though is the fact that the engine is way too far ahead of the front axle and there is simply too much weight over the front wheels. The new diff coupled with the tie into the traction control system has significantly lowered understeer and keep the car neutral, but it is still there. The car really does err on the side of 'comfortable' but I think it might be slightly too comfortable and it actually takes away from from the sportier feel of the S5. I would honestly place the S5 right in-between a BMW 3 series and a Mercedes C Class. My personal preference would like the car to be just a tad more sporty in every mode, but especially Dynamic. The wheel also needs more weight in Dynamic. It is a bit too light for my tastes in that mode.

My biggest complaint is that there is no sense of emotion. You don't get any burbles or any drama. You get a 'fart' in between gear shifts and that's only if you're flogging it. Driving a sporty coupe should be an occasion. I want pops and bangs.

8. Audi is lagging behind its main competitors in terms of performance offerings from the factory. BMW and Mercedes both have comprehensive performance catalogues for their sportier cars like the M340i and the AMG C43. If Audi doesn't want its customers to go out and buy an aftermarket exhaust for instance, it should offer it. I just don't want to get flagged with a TD1. Audi's performance Catalogue is basically carbon rear diffusor and carbon mirror caps. That's it. That is the extent of it.

9. Understeer.....this thing LOVES to understeer. Even in a slow corner and this car understeers. It's REALLY annoying. 60% of the weight over the front axle doesn't to this car any favors.

10. Steering weight is horrible. The steering is too light. Feedback is alright but steering is too light. Again, sports coupe. I want a sportier feel to the wheel.

11. Connectivity - Sucks and it is worthless. The Audi Connect App is a joke.

12. The Voice recognition system is WORTHLESS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 3
      05-24-2019, 01:28 AM   #25
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Alright. Ya'll ready? Here goes.....

1.) Lighting: The lights on the S5 are fantastic. The LED lights have a very nice wide beam pattern and with the low beam lights coded on with high beam, they light up the road and them some when the high beams are on. I do have two major gripes with the headlights. 1.) headlights is that they are not adaptive and do not turn with the steering wheel. 2.) The cornering lamps that turn are are barely noticeable or turn on really late. Audi's main competitors, BMW and Mercedes both offer this feature.. I live in an area where deer love to come put and play at night and I have very curvy roads. I would like to see what's around the bend before I get there. I don't know if it is just me but they cornering lamps are either really dim or just turn on really late. They help when I am turning into my driveway, but they are barely noticeable when I'm turning at an intersection.

2.The transmission on my S5 is very good. It's the ZF 8 speed. You will hear a lot of people complain about the infamous delay or lag which I do not have and have never had. What I do experience is the transmission holding on to gears too long and in turn the car starts to shake really badly and make a stalling sound. The car makes that sound that manual cars make when they're about to stall at times, especially when I'm trying to back into my garage. Audi needs to work on tuning the ZF 8 speed. I have now driven a multitude of cars with this transmission and none of them exhibit this behavior. Other than that, shifts are crisp and actually quick. I'm averaging 24.7 MPG with a mix of highway and city.

3. The interior of the S5 is all Audi. The cabin is made of great high quality materials and the leather is great. There are a few places where I think Audi could have stepped it up a little like the dash. Audi's two main competitors both offer a faux leather contrast stitched dash. Would really add some 'oomph' to the cabin. I have yet to sit in the G20 3 series so I cannot comment on how well it stacks up against that but what I can tell you that it wipes the floor with the F30 and it is not even a comparison. I don't hear a single rattle in the car a year and a half later. It is amazing.

4. The S5 offers a host of technology. I do think Audi is lagging behind just a little bit in terms of lighting technology and maybe a little in the infotainment area. The MMI never understands me and trying to use the Nav system is a process and entering in an address takes a little bit of time. I do love how simple it is to navigate and use though. Everything is pretty easy to find and logically placed. I do have an issue when I try to pair my iPhone XS Max though sometimes. It won't connect and I have to toggle Bluetooth on and off for it to connect. Another technological piece that I also want Auto Hold.

5. I think Audi needs to add is direct TPMS. In 2019, not knowing what my tire pressure is without having to measure all four individually is inexcusable. If BMW and Mercedes are able to do it, I'm pretty sure Audi has the means to do it as well. It's a minimal cost in the grand scheme of things.

6. Suspension / Drive

7. The suspension on the S5 is absolutely fantastic for a daily driver. Compared to the F30 and the Mercedes in terms of comfort, I don't think it is even fair. The S5 loves eating up the miles and does so without sacrificing the comfort of the passengers. Now, that comes with a a small price. Personally, I think the S5 needs to be a little stiffer especially in Dynamic. I also think the S5 has no right being the same ride height of a normal A5 coupe. The S5 is suppose to be the 'sportier' option. Lower it my 10mm or so to give the S5 that sportier feel. What I am going to complain about though is the fact that the engine is way too far ahead of the front axle and there is simply too much weight over the front wheels. The new diff coupled with the tie into the traction control system has significantly lowered understeer and keep the car neutral, but it is still there. The car really does err on the side of 'comfortable' but I think it might be slightly too comfortable and it actually takes away from from the sportier feel of the S5. I would honestly place the S5 right in-between a BMW 3 series and a Mercedes C Class. My personal preference would like the car to be just a tad more sporty in every mode, but especially Dynamic. The wheel also needs more weight in Dynamic. It is a bit too light for my tastes in that mode.

My biggest complaint is that there is no sense of emotion. You don't get any burbles or any drama. You get a 'fart' in between gear shifts and that's only if you're flogging it. Driving a sporty coupe should be an occasion. I want pops and bangs.

8. Audi is lagging behind its main competitors in terms of performance offerings from the factory. BMW and Mercedes both have comprehensive performance catalogues for their sportier cars like the M340i and the AMG C43. If Audi doesn't want its customers to go out and buy an aftermarket exhaust for instance, it should offer it. I just don't want to get flagged with a TD1. Audi's performance Catalogue is basically carbon rear diffusor and carbon mirror caps. That's it. That is the extent of it.

9. Understeer.....this thing LOVES to understeer. Even in a slow corner and this car understeers. It's REALLY annoying. 60% of the weight over the front axle doesn't to this car any favors.

10. Steering weight is horrible. The steering is too light. Feedback is alright but steering is too light. Again, sports coupe. I want a sportier feel to the wheel.

11. Connectivity - Sucks and it is worthless. The Audi Connect App is a joke.

12. The Voice recognition system is WORTHLESS.
Does your S5 have the Dynamic Steering? Is that why it feels as light? I actually didn't mind the RS5 being light, since if I am slogging through DTLA traffic, I prefer not having the car overwork me. I was able to hear some minor burbling but you are right, at least regarding the RS5 it's very quiet, muted and I was barely able to pick that up when I was driving. Even the RS5 didn't have a lot of emotion to it, the tranny was a ZF but as my complaint with the F90 M5 is the same, ZF8 tranny is boring.

Good to know though
      05-24-2019, 02:38 PM   #26
rccoleman
Rep

Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Sportback

I have dynamic steering in my 2018 S5 I would also prefer that it was a little heavier. It's better in "dynamic" mode with a fixed ratio, but still not quite what I'd like. It doesn't seem any better or worse than the 3- or 4-series BMWs that I test drove last year (not Gxx), though.

The connectivity through the MyAudi app has gotten a little better now that vehicle status and a few other options are free now. Agreed that it was worthless before, especially with the older, buggy app.

I'm convinced that the voice recognition is no better than it was in my 2007 Lexus. I agree that it sucks and offers less integration with the car's systems than other brands. I haven't tried voice with the newer MMI versions (in the A6 and others now, coming in 2020 to the A4 line), but they claim that it's improved.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 06:08 AM   #27
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Does your S5 have the Dynamic Steering? Is that why it feels as light? I actually didn't mind the RS5 being light, since if I am slogging through DTLA traffic, I prefer not having the car overwork me. I was able to hear some minor burbling but you are right, at least regarding the RS5 it's very quiet, muted and I was barely able to pick that up when I was driving. Even the RS5 didn't have a lot of emotion to it, the tranny was a ZF but as my complaint with the F90 M5 is the same, ZF8 tranny is boring.

Good to know though
Honestly, if I was looking for another daily driver, I'd get another Audi because it does the mix between comfort and sport the best in my opinion. I want a sportier ride though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccoleman View Post
I have dynamic steering in my 2018 S5 I would also prefer that it was a little heavier. It's better in "dynamic" mode with a fixed ratio, but still not quite what I'd like. It doesn't seem any better or worse than the 3- or 4-series BMWs that I test drove last year (not Gxx), though.

The connectivity through the MyAudi app has gotten a little better now that vehicle status and a few other options are free now. Agreed that it was worthless before, especially with the older, buggy app.

I'm convinced that the voice recognition is no better than it was in my 2007 Lexus. I agree that it sucks and offers less integration with the car's systems than other brands. I haven't tried voice with the newer MMI versions (in the A6 and others now, coming in 2020 to the A4 line), but they claim that it's improved.
It should be interesting to see how the A5 line refresh. I uninstalled the MyAudi app, but maybe I should give it another shot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 01:05 PM   #28
rccoleman
Rep

Quote:
I uninstalled the MyAudi app, but maybe I should give it another shot?
Can't hurt, but I don't use it that much. You can remotely lock/unlock, see gas/oil levels & odometer, whether the windows/doors are closed/locked, where the car is located, and maybe others. All of that used to require the ridiculously expensive Audi Connect subscription, but were moved to the free tier least year.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 05:47 PM   #29
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Can't hurt, but I don't use it that much. You can remotely lock/unlock, see gas/oil levels & odometer, whether the windows/doors are closed/locked, where the car is located, and maybe others. All of that used to require the ridiculously expensive Audi Connect subscription, but were moved to the free tier least year.
The longer I have had BMWs the more I realized we are lucky in a lot of ways because we don't generally have MMI issues (USUALLY). Using another competitor brand I always find myself frowning lol.

Other than the Audi Virtual Cockpit though.

rccoleman that seems like how BMW has done it but I don't think we ever had to pay. Although I believe that is shoved into your car payment/services, I remember seeing it. You can even setup an appointment for service too, which is cool. Porsche App is just buggy and annoying as hell to setup because it uses satellite, so you need the dealership to pair the damn thing to your car.
      06-07-2019, 02:00 PM   #30
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep

Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanayoda View Post
I had a 2018 S5 for 4 months (before I took a bath by trading it in)
Thank you for that comment. I'm sorry that it didn't work out for you, but happy to read that I'm not the only one that takes a financial proctological exam in order to get out of a car that just doesn't do it for me.

Quote:
The Voice recognition system is WORTHLESS.
Ditto.

Quote:
I have dynamic steering in my 2018 S5 I would also prefer that it was a little heavier.
I had to turn off all of that dynamic crap in my Audis. I don't want steering or throttle or anything else to change on the car's whim.

So... I've had two, the previous generation S5 (the one with the V8 and a proper manual transmission). It was really a nice looking car, and drove great, but nothing as interesting or fun as a BMW M car, or Porsche. I didn't like the clutch, and even with the sport differential, handling could have been better. I bought it used and didn't lose too much on it, and had no issues with it for nearly a year.

The second was a brand new, special ordered, A6, the previous gen, and it was a decent DD car, quiet and comfy, stodgy looking and no sport diff is available on a non-S so it understeered like a pig. It also had numerous little annoying electrical issues like the MMI constantly crashing and rebooting, the gas filler door sometimes not unlocking and the car occasionally ignoring the fob and not starting. My local dealer is useless and didn't even attempt to fix anything, so I got rid of it.

I would like an A8 when it's time to get rid of my 7, but my experience with the service department was so bad, I might get a Lexus instead. Sad.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 02:59 PM   #31
rccoleman
Rep

My last car was a Lexus IS350 and I think they had the best service experience compared to both Honda/Acura & Audi. I haven't had my S5 long enough to see how the paid service goes, but I found Lexus service to be very generous and fast in terms of labor/parts comping, speed of service, and getting me back on the road in a loaner car quickly. Audi has been a step down from that.
Appreciate 0