New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

08-12-2016, 11:15 AM   #89
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep

Drives: M

Ironically people like Christian Horner, Rob Smedley, Adrian Newey have stated current F1 cars are too easy to drive. Hamilton and Vettel have echoed the same sentiments, both having said lets go back to V12's and manual gearboxes.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 11:19 AM   #90
atxgt3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 11 E92, 17 X5M, 15 Huracan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic View Post
I don't see that as off putting or arrogant, but I digress, we are all open to our own opinions.

I can ask many at my work if they know how to drive a manual and 95% of them have never driven or learned to drive a manual. And with congestion here in LA, it's an afterthought for most. No one would want to drive a heavy clutch through traffic, and that's why I say it gives novices easier access to these cars.
Even if that were true, does it matter? I can drive a manual but I still prefer a dual clutch. But so what if someone doesn't know how to drive a manual. Does that make them a "novice" and unworthy of driving these cars?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 11:25 AM   #91
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Drives: Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Using that argument, will you be running 15" wheels and removing the fenders and roof from your car, Mr. Hamilton?
I'm not following.

-2016 Macan Turbo(GF vehicle)
-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 11:30 AM   #92
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by 991GT3
Quote:
Using that argument, will you be running 15" wheels and removing the fenders and roof from your car, Mr. Hamilton?
I'm not following.
Using F1 technology to support PDK is a bit suspect, when they don't actually run a dual clutch and have plenty of "formula" rules that don't fit your argument, like 15" open wheels and a lack of a roof/hood.

This remains a silly argument. Both types of transmissions are good and have their places. I think it all boils down to when the choice is available, everyone wins. Thankfully it appears the 991.2 GT3 will be the first time that both transmissions are offered, a win for both camps.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 11:31 AM   #93
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_
Ironically people like Christian Horner, Rob Smedley, Adrian Newey have stated current F1 cars are too easy to drive. Hamilton and Vettel have echoed the same sentiments, both having said lets go back to V12's and manual gearboxes.
And dear lord yes to the V12 and maybe an H16 or two.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 11:33 AM   #94
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I don't see that as off putting or arrogant, but I digress, we are all open to our own opinions.

I can ask many at my work if they know how to drive a manual and 95% of them have never driven or learned to drive a manual. And with congestion here in LA, it's an afterthought for most. No one would want to drive a heavy clutch through traffic, and that's why I say it gives novices easier access to these cars.

Yes manuals are a drag in traffic (that's why I said they're tedious) but they're not difficult to use.
As far a performance cars are concerned dual clutch set ups make more sense given the power and sophistication of the rest of the car.
If you love the manual great.

-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 11:34 AM   #95
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxgt3 View Post
But so what if someone doesn't know how to drive a manual.
Quote:
Does that make them a "novice"...
Yes

Quote:
...and unworthy of driving these cars?
Well if they can't drive a manual how would they drive a GT4, any GT3 prior to 991, the new 911 R, etc. Unworthy maybe not, but physically unable...yes.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 11:42 AM   #96
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

I had a manual M Coupe and the wife's auto 135i when I lived in Orange County. The 1er was actually worse in traffic since the automatic creep took more foot pressure to negate than the force to engage the clutch in my M Coupe.

We took my car when heading into LA, sort of negating the 'automatics are easier in traffic' argument. Using a clutch is like walking, once you know how to do it, it's not any harder than using a moving sidewalk.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 11:43 AM   #97
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Using F1 technology to support PDK is a bit suspect, when they don't actually run a dual clutch and have plenty of "formula" rules that don't fit your argument, like 15" open wheels and a lack of a roof/hood.

This remains a silly argument. Both types of transmissions are good and have their places. I think it all boils down to when the choice is available, everyone wins. Thankfully it appears the 991.2 GT3 will be the first time that both transmissions are offered, a win for both camps.
I'm using a F1 to state the highest end performance cars don't use manuals.
If that bothers you, step it down to the highest end street legal cars. They don't use manuals either.
If you love a manual good for you and it appears that Porsche bowed to the pressure. Hopefully it doesn't end up like the E60 M5 manual.

-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 11:46 AM   #98
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Okay, if we're just talking the ultimate track time performance, the fastest cars all have some form of hybrid assist. So you're still a step away from greatness.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 12:11 PM   #99
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Okay, if we're just talking the ultimate track time performance, the fastest cars all have some form of hybrid assist. So you're still a step away from greatness.
Is that what we are talking about? Or is this just an exercise in fallacious arguments?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 12:13 PM   #100
atxgt3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
Yes

Well if they can't drive a manual how would they drive a GT4, any GT3 prior to 991, the new 911 R, etc. Unworthy maybe not, but physically unable...yes.
So? Who cares?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 12:24 PM   #101
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 991GT3
Quote:
Is that what we are talking about? Or is this just an exercise in fallacious arguments?
It's the Internet. We're just arguing a silly subject. PDK is great, especially in the heavy hitters. But what's wrong with giving folks the choice?

Ferrari has hinted that they'll offer three pedals for a serious premium. They've noticed the absurd resale on the last manual cars and want back into that market.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 12:26 PM   #102
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

To be fair, I really have no issue with P offering the GT4 with PDK too.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 12:45 PM   #103
mremg
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: TT RS, NC MX5

Quote:
I had a manual M Coupe and the wife's auto 135i when I lived in Orange County. The 1er was actually worse in traffic since the automatic creep took more foot pressure to negate than the force to engage the clutch in my M Coupe.

We took my car when heading into LA, sort of negating the 'automatics are easier in traffic' argument. Using a clutch is like walking, once you know how to do it, it's not any harder than using a moving sidewalk.
I agree with you. The 'creep' is what I don't like about automatic cars, especially in slow moving traffic. Once you know how to pace yourself in a manual car, driving a stick is so much better in any situation.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 01:22 PM   #104
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
It's the Internet. We're just arguing a silly subject. PDK is great, especially in the heavy hitters. But what's wrong with giving folks the choice?

Ferrari has hinted that they'll offer three pedals for a serious premium. They've noticed the absurd resale on the last manual cars and want back into that market.

That's cool. I don't have a problem with Porsche putting a manual in their vehicles. I'm just expressing my opinion of the manual and reacting to some of the snide commentary on paddles and power.

One offs will always garner a lot of money but the manual is dying for a reason (or reasons). Like I mentioned, I was considering a heavily discounted gated manual V10 R8 a few years back as evidence that manual in performance cars is dying.
That said, the one car I think runs counter to that is the GT3. Frankly I was a bit shocked they didn't offer the 991.1 in a manual. I thought PDK would be an option.

-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 01:27 PM   #105
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: rwd

It's so much more rewarding when you can heel toe into a corner and exit out like a pro, w/o using auto blip. I don't get that sensation when all I have to do is click a paddle.

This argument is definitely not going to go anywhere, it's the case everytime there's a discussion about auto vs manual. At the end of the day, I'm glad the GT4 is manual only and wish they had kept the GT3/RS manual only as well, but there's always going to be someone who wants to say paddles are faster and you can extract more power and time out of it.

Unless you're making tens of millions as a professional, you can say all you want, but you're not really going to be extracting all that power on the track or on the street regardless of the transmission. I'll gladly sacrifice that tenth of a second to have my manual over paddles any day.

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 01:40 PM   #106
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Meh, batteries and their insta-torque will kill all of our transmissions anyway. No reason for flappy paddle folks to feel superior to the three pedal set. It's all going away.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 01:42 PM   #107
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
It's so much more rewarding when you can heel toe into a corner and exit out like a pro, w/o using auto blip. I don't get that sensation when all I have to do is click a paddle.

This argument is definitely not going to go anywhere, it's the case everytime there's a discussion about auto vs manual. At the end of the day, I'm glad the GT4 is manual only and wish they had kept the GT3/RS manual only as well, but there's always going to be someone who wants to say paddles are faster and you can extract more power and time out of it.

Unless you're making tens of millions as a professional, you can say all you want, but you're not really going to be extracting all that power on the track or on the street regardless of the transmission. I'll gladly sacrifice that tenth of a second to have my manual over paddles any day.

Yeah its going nowhere but your post is an example of why my hackles come up in this debate.

-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 02:14 PM   #108
atxgt3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mremg View Post
I agree with you. The 'creep' is what I don't like about automatic cars, especially in slow moving traffic. Once you know how to pace yourself in a manual car, driving a stick is so much better in any situation.
The PDK in the GT3 doesn't creep FWIW.
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4463.00
      08-12-2016, 02:29 PM   #109
atxgt3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well there is a very common scenario where you can extract all that power on the street. Flooring it on an empty stretch of road to get that rush of adrenaline. I don't know about you, but I'm just a big kid and I love to do that as often as I can. Safely, of course. That's the main reason I love the PDK, it allows me to accelerate as quickly as the car is capable of.

I love fast cars and driving them fast (well, accelerating quickly, not going fast.) Other people love the involvement of rowing gears at a more leisurely pace. There's absolutely nothing wrong with either preference. Ideally the cars would be offered with both transmissions.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 02:39 PM   #110
mremg
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: TT RS, NC MX5

Quote:
The PDK in the GT3 doesn't creep FWIW.
That's good. It seems like creep is intentionally programmed in many lower-end car DSG trannies because people are more used to it. I honestly hope that they just leave it out even in luxury cars or atleast an option to turn it off.
Appreciate 0