New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-06-2015, 08:42 AM   #177
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep

Drives: a 9incher

In conclusion. America IS the best country.

You will never have a PERFECT country. Every country has its ups and downs. But when everything is considered. US still wins.
      08-06-2015, 08:44 AM   #178
einbruch10
these are the times that try mens soul's
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 335i

^ ill be sure to appreciate this post when im near a computer.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2015, 09:08 AM   #179
csu87
Banned
Rep

Drives: 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
No you cannot beat Russia. Russia has not had its ass handed to it on its own soil since Stefan Batory's ass kicking party, back in the late 1500. Other than that Russia has and will drown anyone who tries to invade it in their own blood. Russians thrive in chaos and hellish conditions, meanwhile we damn near come to tears when ever our Iphone stops working.
Im sure we could beat these guys.

Also, this is why we are the best. #'Merica
Appreciate 2
      08-06-2015, 09:35 AM   #180
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep

Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Oc View Post
http://thinkprogress.org/economy/201...e-bad-economy/

I care about the debt. I care that Bush's decisions took us from 6 trillion to 13 trillion in debt and contributed a massive amount to Obama's debt. I care that Clinton left Bush the best country we have ever had and by the time he left we had 10% unemployment, a dead economy, crashed housing, financial, and auto industries, no regulations, and two wars, one of which was started by illegally invading a sovereign country in the name of the war on terror. If you think the second great depression we had 7 years into Bush's tenure was caused by Carter, Clinton and Obama (retroactively I guess considering Obama's first budget didn't come into effect until 2010!) then we don't have anything else to talk about....
Well - maybe not really. Bush, McCain, and other Republicans warned Congress repeatedly (starting in 2001) of the upcoming housing bubble, due to Carter/Clinton's Community Reinvestment Act, and how it was significant risk to the economy. Nothing was done - Barney Frank was in charge of the Subcommittee (and was sleeping with one of the Freddie executives, btw).

And if Obama didn't like Bush's budget, he could have changed Bush's budget. Instead, he didn't submit a budget for the first three years of his presidency - the first President to do so. Instead, he killed the very successful revisions to Welfare that were made under Clinton - where welfare rolls dropped by 50%, as well as child poverty. And now there are 50% more people on Food Stamps than when Obama took office in 2009.

How can Obama gut the military and still manage to spend more than every President before him, combined?

But I'm sure IT'S BUSH'S FAULT!!!! WAAAA!!!!!

This is an entertaining thread! Despite all the back-and-forth, no one has named a single country that is better than the US. A few alluded to Canada, but they may be basing that solely on Tim Horton's glazed donut...
      08-06-2015, 09:38 AM   #181
KlausPA
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: Blue overpriced POS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whostheboss

You will never have a PERFECT country. Every country has its ups and downs. But when everything is considered. US still wins.
absolutely agree with you, so why the arrogance and pretend that we are the best country in the world? Why is humbleness seemed like an illness in the US?
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2015, 09:40 AM   #182
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep

Drives: a 9incher

Visiting a country is not the same as living in it. Knowing a friend or having relatives who live in a country is also not the same as actually living there.

Only people who have actually lived in multiple countries can truly answer this question to all fairness. I've lived in a 3rd world/ 2nd world and 1st world countries so i have a descent ground to base my judges on.
      08-06-2015, 10:02 AM   #183
KlausPA
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
Despite all the back-and-forth, no one has named a single country that is better than the US.
That is because it is impossible grade a country over others. Each country has a virtue and special characteristic that makes it unique and attractive over others but in general no country is the greatest in the whole world. Add the fact that each person is looking for different things from a country... Some people give the weather more importance than available services, others prefer public services over employment opportunities, others are looking for education, etc...

Most Americans cannot understand this simple concept. To the majority America is the shit and if you don't like it then get out! It seems like confronting the harsh reality that America cannot be the greatest country in the world hurts more than seeing the homeless kids roaming around our nation's capital.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 10:17 AM   #184
csu87
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausPA View Post
That is because it is impossible grade a country over others. Each country has a virtue and special characteristic that makes it unique and attractive over others but in general no country is the greatest in the whole world. Add the fact that each person is looking for different things from a country... Some people give the weather more importance than available services, others prefer public services over employment opportunities, others are looking for education, etc...

Most Americans cannot understand this simple concept. To the majority America is the shit and if you don't like it then get out! It seems like confronting the harsh reality that America cannot be the greatest country in the world hurts more than seeing the Politicians roaming around our nation's capital.
Fixed.

And to get this thread back on track,
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2015, 10:36 AM   #185
KlausPA
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
Fixed.

And to get this thread back on track,
Genius!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 11:22 AM   #186
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: 335i cpe

My friend just got rid of his ThinkPad because it has a core i7 4th gen, and he wants the 5th gen. The fact that he can do that makes this a great country. I know I wouldn't want to be using a laptop with a 1 yr. old processor in it.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 11:22 AM   #187
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by einbruch10 View Post
Thank you for your support, it is few and far between these days.
I've had friends who served/currently serve and given the area I live in, many of them make careers out of the military.

I'm always iffy about thanking people since some view it as condescending or insincere, hence why I never said thanks earlier. But since you don't seem like one of those people, thank you for your service.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 11:44 AM   #188
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
Well - maybe not really. Bush, McCain, and other Republicans warned Congress repeatedly (starting in 2001) of the upcoming housing bubble, due to Carter/Clinton's Community Reinvestment Act, and how it was significant risk to the economy. Nothing was done - Barney Frank was in charge of the Subcommittee (and was sleeping with one of the Freddie executives, btw).
Are you suggesting that if it weren't for the CRA that the recession would've never happened?

6% of all loans given in the lead up to the housing market crash were given to low income borrowers. Not exactly a startling number.

Plus statistically speaking, low income borrowers are actually less likely than other borrowers to default. That study surprised me when I read it.

But back to my point, no it's not a "significant risk" to the economy. Can't really point to a single point of contention and say "blame that" with something as complicated as this. There are a few factors, off the top of my head:

1. Artificially low interest rates set by the Fed caused easy money despite the fact the economy was booming. The uptick in loans should've caused an increase in interest rates, it didn't.
2. Lacks lending rules. People putting down 3% on a home? Ridiculous. Once the market crashed these people were so ridiculously upside down in their homes. Lose your job and want to move to an area with a better job market? Chances are you couldn't because you were so upside down in your home.
3. Credit default swaps (CDS). These were an insurance tool created by AIG but, through loopholes wasn't legally considered insurance so they didn't have to follow as many rules and regulations in its sale and distribution. CDS's were sold to banks promising to cover losses in the event a borrower defaults. This only helped in the explosion of loans. AIG made a killing off these but like any type of insurance policy, if all of your policyholders file a claim at the same time, you won't have the cash on hand to pay them out. The market crashes...guess who was one of the first in line asking for a bailout?
4. Due to inflation fears (fears that never came to fruition), many investors looked at the oil futures market as a good hedge against inflation causing gas prices to skyrocket. That just made the recession even worse.

There's others I'm sure I'm missing but those were some contributing factors.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 11:59 AM   #189
csu87
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
2. Lacks lending rules. People putting down 3% on a home? Ridiculous. Once the market crashed these people were so ridiculously upside down in their homes. Lose your job and want to move to an area with a better job market? Chances are you couldn't because you were so upside down in your home.
You should see what people are putting down again. Get ready for another housing dip here shortly.

I am in the process of selling my old house, and just bought a new one. Luckily it is still a sellers market, but you wouldnt believe the amount of people that cant afford a home trying to buy one. Weve had 3 people fall through on their loans while trying to buy our house (lower price bracket for the area, $270k). All of them worked lower income jobs (~4k a month before taxes), didnt have a ton of cash for a down payment and were putting down less than 5%. Of course they dont tell this to the lenders thinking they will never find out, only to have underwriting find this all out and loans denied. Everytime we get excuses as to the reasoning and they get upset at the lender, but the fact of it is, if you cant afford a house, stop trying to buy one. Seems people think it is their right to buy a house.

Our newest buyer, which everything looks like it is going through, is getting a gift from a family member for part of their downpayment, 4%, and is approved as an FHA loan. These people probably dont realize that their 3.8% rate is closer to 6.5% after all the tacked on percentage rate fees and insurance. All they see is they are going to be homeowners. I almost want to reach out to them, and smack them, but I just really want my house to sell.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 12:32 PM   #190
Duder
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Originally posted by csu87 "why are you here?"

I moved to the USA with my family.

I'm not saying the US is bad - its better than some places. But LIVE in some other 1st world countries and you'll see why America is not all so great.

Also, America is often viewed negatively in other countries. I've impersonated being from other countries on some overseas trips so I can avoid the stigma.
i hate when people say this so much! just cuz you don't like something doesn't mean you have to eliminate it. just cuz people don't love everything america doesn't mean that they're gonna pick and move. i don't like onions on my burger, but i'm still gonna order my burger without onions. i'm not gonna just never order a burger again. this is where we live. it's not just, well.... if you don't like it leave. how is that attitude going to make anything better? if everyone just left because things got bad, how would that change anything? people need to stay. people need to complain. people need to make changes. but just saying, well if you don't like it then leave is the most ignorant attitude in my opinion. have you liked every politician we've had in office? well, if you don't like them, then don't complain about it and just leave. no, we can dislike all we want, but it's then up to us to make some changes. nowhere is ever going to be perfect. but just because i believe it's not perfect or the best doesn't mean that i should just leave. i dont know.... i just hate that response so much.

Last edited by Duder; 08-06-2015 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 12:46 PM   #191
Duder
Second Lieutenant
Rep

one of the main reasons why america is horrible is the effing electoral college. does anyone here know how it really works? do you know that your vote really means nothing when you vote? this country has done an amazing job of making us feel like we have a voice and have a say, when in reality we dont. the fact that this place has a system where a president can become president with as little as 22% of the actual popular vote is insanity. the sad thing is that most people don't even know we have a system like this. even more sad, is that most people don't even know what the electoral college is! let me explain with this video:

and just because i have a problem with this system doesn't mean i should just leave then. we all need to fight to make a change. i have so many problems with this country. so many! but i'm not going to just up and leave because of those problems. that's not the way to deal with not liking things.

Last edited by Duder; 08-06-2015 at 12:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 01:05 PM   #192
Duder
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Also, this:

08-06-2015, 01:28 PM   #193
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
That is common sense, which I think is lacking nowadays. How can anybody expect to come up with the other 97% in 360 mos.? They really don't, is the truth. They are hoping to do a flip, using leverage.

I know someone who bought a mcmansion in Phoenix, and 3 more. When it went bust, walked away pennies on the dollar. Then, bought a new one at the bottom and another, and now they hit paydirt. The thing is the wife declared bankruptcy, and the 2nd round was with the husband's credit.

I would argue this borders on unethical, even if it's legal........
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 02:06 PM   #194
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep

Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
The place to live is Switzerland. I mean FIFA has been able to be essentially an organized Mafia for years without any issues. Plus, their Swiss Miss chocolate is to die for!
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2015, 02:53 PM   #195
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
You should see what people are putting down again. Get ready for another housing dip here shortly.
Don't even get me started. It's like no one learned a damn thing.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2015, 02:55 PM   #196
csu87
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Don't even get me started. It's like no one learned a damn thing.
my sister in law just bought a house for 0% down. She asked me why I wanted to put 20% down on my new house. Needless to say, we dont talk anymore.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 03:44 PM   #197
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
I spent over half of my adult life in the US Air Force, flying F4 phantoms, including a tour in Southeast Asia for the Vietnam war, even ejecting one time. I risked my life and limb so that people have the freedoms they have. On one hand, I am distressed, dismayed and even brought to tears over the majority of the comments being made in this thread. I can't believe the "haters"!! On the other hand, I am relieved to know that those freedoms still survive and people have the right to verbally trash the USA if they choose.

I choose not to. I love America - I fought for her and stand beside her. God bless America!!
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 3
      08-06-2015, 03:48 PM   #198
csu87
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
I spent over half of my adult life in the US Air Force, flying F4 phantoms, including a tour in Southeast Asia for the Vietnam war, even ejecting one time. I risked my life and limb so that people have the freedoms they have. On one hand, I am distressed, dismayed and even brought to tears over the majority of the comments being made in this thread. I can't believe the "haters"!! On the other hand, I am relieved to know that those freedoms still survive and people have the right to verbally trash the USA if they choose.

I choose not to. I love America - I fought for her and stand beside her. God bless America!!
hopefully this lifts your spirits.

Appreciate 1