New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-04-2022, 12:29 PM   #89
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTM0TION View Post
Wine is the nectar of the Gods.
I'm convinced that wine and alcohol were primitive humanity's water disinfection system.....
      03-04-2022, 01:00 PM   #90
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTM0TION View Post
Wine is the nectar of the Gods.
And I am a god (at least in my house on Friday nights, lol).
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go16580.00
      03-05-2022, 09:31 AM   #91
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 228iX & M2C

If anyone can put down 'a couple glasses' of whisky a day without causing long term damage then they are a freak of nature. Those people do exist, but super rare. And every alcoholic I ever met could name one off (that 84 yr old chainsmoker who's fit as a fiddle, and the grampa who could down a quart of liquor or gallons of beer a day without showing it). But your friend has to wise up to it - by now he's heard it all before so all you'll do is piss him off. Do beware that from what you are saying, this is a guy who probably needs medical detox - going cold turkey would be quite risky if he's using like I think, and also controlling his BG that way.
Appreciate 2
2000cs3755.50
      03-06-2022, 08:57 AM   #92
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Drives: Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
I'm convinced that wine and alcohol were primitive humanity's water disinfection system.....
Primitive right up to the “invention” of clean water. Definitely a part of early American life, including post-revolution.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1619089.00
      03-06-2022, 03:38 PM   #93
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Learned something new today, alcohol consumption is often the substitute for the chemicals released while being in relationship with others, sex also provides that feeling of being connected. I guess that's pretty obvious, but i've never heard a psychologist put it that way before:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2022, 08:14 PM   #94
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

These kinds of studies are more or less what I was looking for, anecdotally anyway.

https://www.mensjournal.com/health-f...7KF18_QfvRIh9o

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2022, 10:09 AM   #95
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

It’s also a big time social lubricant at least for me. I’m not sure I would say I’m anti social, I’m just shy I guess, I’m not the type of person to go up to a random stranger and start a conversation. Hell even if they came up to ME I doubt they would get more than a word or two response. Now give me a little booze and forget about it! I’m not even talking drunk here, just 1 or 2 drinks and I’m a regular chatty kathy. Might be part of the reason for the results on that marriage study.

That being said I’m almost never in a social situation with strangers… at least not one where having a couple of drinks before walking into the meeting would be appropriate.
Appreciate 2
Tommy-G4594.00
      06-18-2022, 07:40 PM   #96
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

We went out in Miami with my wife's sister and husband who have relocated here from Newport Beach. It was her birthday weekend and they like to go big. I think I had 3 beers and mixed drink at the standard. My brother in law gave me activated charcoal capsules to take before and after. Anyway, it was a lot of fun going to these high end places and just dancing and being a little childish. I also had a very easy time talking with their new friends - but then again that's not an issue for me. It was fun not thinking and just being kind of free flowing for the day & night. I think the answer to my question - for me anyway - is just to enjoy the rare night out or holiday a few times a yr - but otherwise enjoy my kombucha.

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 10:30 AM   #97
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Thanks to all for the thought provoking responses.

Growing up we never had alcohol at family functions. I have a big family on my Mom and Dad's side and there wasn't alcohol at holidays or reunions. About 5 yrs ago I invited my neighbors (husband from Long Island, wife from Florida) and their kids to my families farm in South Florida for Thanksgiving. It's a ton of fun for kids, lots of animals, wide open land and forests, horses, etc. They asked what kind of alcohol to bring and I responded that we didn't really drink. They decided they didn't want to go, simply for that reason. They drink, I think daily, and to them, alcohol is just a very normal part of their every day lives. They have 4 kids and I am amazed by their stamina/ability to live that way i.e. get up early and work.

I'm rambling, but it's been tough, if I'm honest to not drink during the past 2 yrs, especially lately. My wifes Mom came to visit a week ago from NorCal, she's a textbook alcoholic. For my wife, it's highly triggering and uncomfortable, of course. She probably finished 5 large bottles of wine while she was visiting, and does not look well at all. I love her, but it wasn't easy having her around, particularly with our kids, just because that's not normal for our family.

Part of me feels like a prude, but another part of me feels like I am doing the right thing. I guess I miss some of the good times that I once had, after a few drinks, etc. But this chapter in my life is about having fun in a different way, and thats ok to I reckon. To those here that are trying not to drink as much, I commend you, and to those here who are highly responsible and able to enjoy a couple libations during the week without it doing any harm, that's badass too!
My opinion; a glass of wine or 2 is fine once in a while but the negatives greatly outweigh the benefits. There are some people that can go to a bar and order a beer and be fine and leave. There are others that can't fathom how someone can just order one beer and not wash it down with 3 shots of vodka or tequila or drink of your choice.

The problem with alcoholism is that it is a progressive disease. It sneaks up on you and before you know it, you need that bottle of wine nightly to 'wind down.'

My household has been cold turkey since late April. I personally have less anxiety and it's great to not wake up feeling hungover. It's amazing how much life you miss when you drink. Horrible, horrible disease
Appreciate 0