New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

10-14-2024, 09:12 PM   #9461
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
I disagree with the idea that "doing crazy shit with design" is good.

Crazy and different for the sake of different is stupid. Different because of a valid reason, sure. But different just to stand out and be different, no.
Appreciate 2
kyriian953.50
      Yesterday, 12:11 AM   #9462
dreamingat30fps
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
I disagree with the idea that "doing crazy shit with design" is good.

Crazy and different for the sake of different is stupid. Different because of a valid reason, sure. But different just to stand out and be different, no.
You can disagree but design is subjective. Your crazy shit is someone else's not crazy and just what they’ve been waiting for.

Like fake grills on EVs… why???
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:51 AM   #9463
M5Rick
General
Rep

Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
The shit resale value of EVs will eventually work itself out. If they're cheap enough, people will buy them. Like if I could get a Taycan Cross Turismo Turbo S for like $50k, I'd accept the trade offs it has for price. But dealers are bringing them in for topuch money and then never sell them

Or well, in the case of the Taycan Porsche dealers won't even take them in on trade because they can't sell them.
The wasp has a huge sting for the unwary even at seemingly bargain price, battery degradation and limited use.
Cue for this one.
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw2074.00
      Yesterday, 08:47 AM   #9464
kyriian
Captain
Rep

Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
You can disagree but design is subjective. Your crazy shit is someone else's not crazy and just what they’ve been waiting for.

Like fake grills on EVs… why???
If the design intent is to do 'crazy shit' and that's the target audience then its fine, but I hope even Franz von Holzhausen, as much of a Musk fanatic he is, understand that the appeal will be limited to that target audience and unlikely to reach mass appeal.

The original concept was sold on a much too lofty price and some typical Musk style promises that never quite delivered, obviously many who plop down cash for one back then saw that as the appeal and accepted the controversial design as a trade-off, and bailed when those appealing points no longer exists once the truck is in production.

For fake grills, I have a suspicion it is more for familiarity for public appeal. EVs can be anything technically, but psychology of a typical car buyer likely still see a 'face' in their cars, and without a grille there it can appear foreign, even frightening.

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:45 AM   #9465
dreamingat30fps
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyriian View Post
If the design intent is to do 'crazy shit' and that's the target audience then its fine, but I hope even Franz von Holzhausen, as much of a Musk fanatic he is, understand that the appeal will be limited to that target audience and unlikely to reach mass appeal.
I think there’s enough people who will like it. At least for the cybertruck. Honestly the only thing holding it back IMO is the price and the fact it’s an EV “truck”. I think that limits the market much more than its looks.

Quote:
The original concept was sold on a much too lofty price and some typical Musk style promises that never quite delivered, obviously many who plop down cash for one back then saw that as the appeal and accepted the controversial design as a trade-off, and bailed when those appealing points no longer exists once the truck is in production.
I wont argue against that. The man is the king of vaporware. I feel like he has no filter between his brain and his mouth. He WANTS the cybertruck to cost $40k or whatever they had announced originally so he just says that's going to be the price even though they have no idea if that’s even possible. Their latest cyber taxi event was totally fake. No actually real info on anything, just hopes and dreams.

That being said just because he’s usually full of shit doesn’t mean I will take credit away from what he’s actually done (and by him I mean a whole team of engineers etc). I personally think he single handedly popularized EVs (for better or worse depending on your views). Still today IMO Tesla offers the best EV experience. Maybe you don’t want that and that’s fine, but if you do… Tesla is the best from all the other EVs I’ve tried.

Even the “full self driving” which I think is his biggest scam/vaporware is actually very impressive. They did a 30 day trial for everyone a few months back so I got to try it (I’m certainly not paying for it) and I was impressed. Would I let it actually drive me by itself? Fuck no! However what it can do is still pretty impressive. His hype is what makes it a let down.

Quote:
For fake grills, I have a suspicion it is more for familiarity for public appeal. EVs can be anything technically, but psychology of a typical car buyer likely still see a 'face' in their cars, and without a grille there it can appear foreign, even frightening.
That’s kind of my point. Everyone is playing it safe because that’s what people are use to. That’s why I like the idea of the “crazy” cybertruck design. Even the other models they have done away with the fake grills in a much for subdued fashion. Someone has to be the one who says having a grill on a EV is stupid and is limiting our design possibilities… we are not going to do it and yes they may pay for it with less sales, but if no one does it we will have the same shit forever.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:54 AM   #9466
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Cybertrucks looks are absolutely limited it's sales. While it's price, poor build quality, and kind of uselessness also don't help it, discounting it's looks as driving people away as well is silly.

Personally, I think the right way to do an EV is toake.it a duplicate of the ICE version. F150 Lightning is a decent example, it's an F150 with an EV powertrain, though admittedly they should have gone EVEN MORE that way so it would have received the two refreshes it's missed. BMW is doing this with the I40, i5, i7, and it's a great choice, make the EV just a powertrain swap of the normal vehicle, le enraging the platform to reduce costs. Plus then you don't end up with something dorky looking like most EVs.
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 10:17 AM   #9467
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Cybertrucks looks are absolutely limited it's sales. While it's price, poor build quality, and kind of uselessness also don't help it, discounting it's looks as driving people away as well is silly.

Personally, I think the right way to do an EV is toake.it a duplicate of the ICE version. F150 Lightning is a decent example, it's an F150 with an EV powertrain, though admittedly they should have gone EVEN MORE that way so it would have received the two refreshes it's missed. BMW is doing this with the I40, i5, i7, and it's a great choice, make the EV just a powertrain swap of the normal vehicle, le enraging the platform to reduce costs. Plus then you don't end up with something dorky looking like most EVs.
Tesla is likely very excited about CT sales.

KBB said. “In fact, Cybertruck outsold every other available EV except for two – Tesla’s popular Model Y and Model 3.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brookec...price-crashes/

Per Sawyer Merritt on X.com

NEWS: The $100,000 Tesla Cybertruck (16,692 units) outsold the combined sales of all these EV pickup trucks in Q3:

• Ford F-150 Lightning: 7,162
• Hummer EV: 4,305
• Rivian R1T: 3,817
• GMC Sierra EV: 387
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:56 AM   #9468
dreamingat30fps
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

It would certainly be the wise BUSINESS choice. I’m sure there’s a lot of people like you. Look at their other models. Very bland, very inoffensive. However, I’m personally glad they didn’t make another cookie cutter “truck”. Again design is subjective, if you like the same old stuff they have been doing for years that’s fine.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:00 PM   #9469
dreamingat30fps
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
Tesla is likely very excited about CT sales.

KBB said. “In fact, Cybertruck outsold every other available EV except for two – Tesla’s popular Model Y and Model 3.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brookec...price-crashes/

Per Sawyer Merritt on X.com

NEWS: The $100,000 Tesla Cybertruck (16,692 units) outsold the combined sales of all these EV pickup trucks in Q3:

• Ford F-150 Lightning: 7,162
• Hummer EV: 4,305
• Rivian R1T: 3,817
• GMC Sierra EV: 387
I’ve been seeing cybertrucks out in the wild all the time now.

Here is my thinking. EV trucks are not ready for actual truck guys. So the current offerings cater to people who just want a truck for fun, maybe some home depot runs, maybe tow a small boat to local ramps etc.

They are also willing to spend $100k on one. Makes me think they want something ”cool” and by cool I mean something that stands out. Nothing does that more than the cybertruck. Maybe the hummer in second place.
Appreciate 1
gblansten2422.00
      Yesterday, 01:33 PM   #9470
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:

Here is my thinking. EV trucks are not ready for actual truck guys. So the current offerings cater to people who just want a truck for fun, maybe some home depot runs, maybe tow a small boat to local ramps etc.

They are also willing to spend $100k on one. Makes me think they want something ”cool” and by cool I mean something that stands out. Nothing does that more than the cybertruck. Maybe the hummer in second place.
I agree. Similarly, I scratched the SUV itch a few years ago and really enjoyed having an X5M.

Last edited by gblansten; Yesterday at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 02:39 PM   #9471
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I would agree with that overall. CT is for people who want to be looked at and want to tell everyone they have a CT. All of the CTs I see are used like regular ass cars, which makes sense, that's what it's good for.

That said, outside of the sheer ugly.of them, I feel like they've lost their shock value already. It used to be people would see them and exclaim.how ugly they were. Now they're ugly but nobody cares.

I know in like fond better ways to spend 100k.
Appreciate 3
kyriian953.50
M5Rick67215.50