New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Today, 12:32 PM   #9109
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
The one that I used had grooves cut inside the bracket, and would rip the paint off of my CCM 10-speed's fork as it rotated and lost grip with the tire.

Kids these days will never know the pain we lived through with those things, because they are used to LED head/tail lights on bicycles that last for weeks and recharge with USB cables.....

It is amazing how much has changed since we were kids. I loved it then and I love it now. The fond memories of each new music format, for example. Or, the new car styles that changed every year.

I think growing up in the 50s makes me appreciate things even more. I remember seeing Sputnik fly over back in '57. Fast forward to last week: My wife and I were sitting in the backyard watching the sunset and the ISS flew over. I looked up and said, "That's way too bright for and it's going too fast to be an airplane. With my handy iPhone, I opened my ISS tracking app and, sure enough, it was crossing right overhead at that moment. I'm pretty sure the iPhone has more computing power than the systems used to launch and manage the flight of Sputnik. It's pretty awesome and a little bit scary if you think about it too much.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1619696.00
Buug95921868.50
      Today, 03:16 PM   #9110
3.0L
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2014 BMW M235i, 2024 GLC300

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
It is amazing how much has changed since we were kids. I loved it then and I love it now. The fond memories of each new music format, for example. Or, the new car styles that changed every year.

I think growing up in the 50s makes me appreciate things even more. I remember seeing Sputnik fly over back in '57. Fast forward to last week: My wife and I were sitting in the backyard watching the sunset and the ISS flew over. I looked up and said, "That's way too bright for and it's going too fast to be an airplane. With my handy iPhone, I opened my ISS tracking app and, sure enough, it was crossing right overhead at that moment. I'm pretty sure the iPhone has more computing power than the systems used to launch and manage the flight of Sputnik. It's pretty awesome and a little bit scary if you think about it too much.
I remember the awe of Sputnik. I was 10 years old and standing in front of
our local newspaper company, picking up my papers, when someone pointed
it out, flying overhead. Some folks were freaking out.

I also remember when Nikita Kruschev stopped his train in our little town.
We sat on a small hill that overlooked the train station. Helicopters were
buzzing all around. I thought it was pretty cool. Later, I learned that
Kruschev picked up my best friend’s sister for a photo op. She was briefly
separated from her parents and started to cry. Quite a big deal for a 5
year old. She still has the dress she wore on that day.

Expert ultracrepidarian
Appreciate 0