New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Today, 11:33 AM   #8471
David70
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 20 AM Vantage -13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I wish i could continue to laugh but it's almost time to cry now lol...

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/10/17/us-t...key-data-.html

what was that interest rate drop about again lol? jpow continues to be in a tough spot
I don't see a lot of things to cry about? Retail sales up .4% when .3% was expected. Economy might be good enough to not have a rate cut, not seeing this as a big negative. Economy moving along ok doesn't mean we need a rate increase and it's one month of data.

Quote:
Yields took a leg up after consumer spending figures came in hotter than forecast. Retail sales showed a rise of 0.4% in September, above the estimate of 0.3% from economists polled by Dow Jones. Excluding autos, sales increased 0.5%, also higher than the consensus expectation of 0.1%.

Weekly jobless claims, meanwhile, fell to 241,000, according to separate data released Thursday. Taken together, both data points paint a picture of a resilient economy.

“Real wage growth and underlying demand for goods and services are overshadowing negative sentiment,” said David Russell, global head of market strategy at TradeStation. “The economy continues to accelerate thanks to the U.S. consumer, and may improve further as lower fuel prices kick in. Today’s numbers make a recession look even less likely.
      Today, 12:22 PM   #8472
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
I don't see a lot of things to cry about? Retail sales up .4% when .3% was expected. Economy might be good enough to not have a rate cut, not seeing this as a big negative. Economy moving along ok doesn't mean we need a rate increase and it's one month of data.
the only thing I gather (assuming all data is true) is that the rate cut was very premature...

unless we see revised data in a week lol
      Today, 12:58 PM   #8473
David70
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 20 AM Vantage -13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
the only thing I gather (assuming all data is true) is that the rate cut was very premature...

unless we see revised data in a week lol
I don't see any data that shows the rate cut was very premature, 1 week of employment numbers, one month sales numbers slightly above what was expected. Fed isn't trying to reduce sales but instead sales prices.

I don't see any alarming data.
      Today, 02:36 PM   #8474
DrVenture
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: M550i 2022

Garage List
2022 BMW  [0.00]
Ir seems evident that many people fail to understand the difference between the FED funds rate and long term treasuries. Or the relationship between them and other factors.

Short term rates should typically run below long term rates. Hence, lowering the FED funds rate, while the 10-yr advances is a return to a normal yield curve.

Real wage growth and underlying demand for goods and services are overshadowing negative sentiment,” is an indication that the FED did not go too far with rate hikes. They are in a perfect position to wait on data and act (or do nothing) based on the results. Jobs are strong and inflation subdued.

More from the link provided:

The economy continues to accelerate thanks to the U.S. consumer, and may improve further as lower fuel prices kick in. Today’s numbers make a recession look even less likely.”

"Weekly jobless claims, meanwhile, fell to 241,000, according to separate data released Thursday. Taken together, both data points paint a picture of a resilient economy."

"Yields took a leg up after consumer spending figures came in hotter than forecast. Retail sales showed a rise of 0.4% in September, above the estimate of 0.3% from economists polled by Dow Jones. Excluding autos, sales increased 0.5%, also higher than the consensus expectation of 0.1%."

This is not a picture of a weak consumer, as some have suggested.
      Today, 04:21 PM   #8475
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Nobody knows what's really going to happen in the market. It's all speculation, estimates, and prior history to develop an educated guess. I've always found it quite funny when market analysts put so much weight into a sub 1% movement in employment, growth, etc. especially movements of 0.1%. LOL

Consumers are likely spending again because many prices have fallen and there are more deals to be had as many companies and manufacturers realize that they got really greedy and have had to pull back prices to order to move their products/inventory.

Last edited by XutvJet; Today at 04:29 PM..
Appreciate 0