New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

06-09-2024, 08:28 AM   #8317
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTheHand View Post
A fleet found EVs were 20 times less likely to catch fire than ICE vehicles - Link

Then there from Link

Now I expect as most EVs are fairly new so as cars age and not looked after/get mistreated the balance will look less favourable, but it is a long way to fall.
I think what needs to be considered is the reasons why each architecture catch fire. For the most part ICE catch fire due to lack of maintenance, which comes mostly from age. The fuel containment systems in ICEV are very robust and safe. ICEV even in severe accidents rarely catch fire, and if they do it is mostly due again to age and poor maintenance. ICEV catch fire, are easily extinguished, and safely stored post-accident for processing.

EV on the other hand, can catch on fire spontaneously, and somewhat unpredictably, and for no apparent outside force. Severe impacts from accident also cause EV fires, either at the scene, or days/weeks later in post-accident storage.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 3
kyriian947.50
M5Rick67104.50
eugenebmw2050.50
      06-09-2024, 09:11 AM   #8318
JimmyTheHand
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: iX3 on order, Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I think what needs to be considered is the reasons why each architecture catch fire. For the most part ICE catch fire due to lack of maintenance, which comes mostly from age. The fuel containment systems in ICEV are very robust and safe. ICEV even in severe accidents rarely catch fire, and if they do it is mostly due again to age and poor maintenance. ICEV catch fire, are easily extinguished, and safely stored post-accident for processing.

EV on the other hand, can catch on fire spontaneously, and somewhat unpredictably, and for no apparent outside force. Severe impacts from accident also cause EV fires, either at the scene, or days/weeks later in post-accident storage.
ICE cars can catch fire for no apparent reason - often comes down same reason as EV fires - damage, maintenance, manufacturing or design defects. Any of them may apparently catch fire spontaneously - it is only an investigation which shows what caused the fire and the trouble with EV's is currently the evidence of the issue is more often destroyed in fire.

But by the difference in the way you write about ICE & EV it sounds like your mind is already made up.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2024, 09:13 AM   #8319
JimmyTheHand
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Man View Post
Puff piece. EV's are causing massive scrambling in the parking garage building industry. The buyers want assurance their brand-new parking garage won't collapse with EV's burning inside.
They do - I haven't heard very many state that concern - those who have seemed to place more status in narratives than evidence.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2024, 10:30 AM   #8320
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
ICE cars can catch fire for no apparent reason - often comes down same reason as EV fires - damage, maintenance, manufacturing or design defects. Any of them may apparently catch fire spontaneously - it is only an investigation which shows what caused the fire and the trouble with EV's is currently the evidence of the issue is more often destroyed in fire.

But by the difference in the way you write about ICE & EV it sounds like your mind is already made up.
Yep, watched it happen with my own eyes twice in the last year. Lots of people re-post trash they get in their trash-feed every day...but these I witnessed.
      06-09-2024, 10:45 AM   #8321
M5Rick
General
Rep

Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
Yep, watched it happen with my own eyes twice in the last year. Lots of people re-post trash they get in their trash-feed every day...but these I witnessed.
Hardy 'trash' when constant feed of articles and vids keep coming in from reporters and journos on this very worrying trend, that's why they're posted and this is the thread to do it on
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw2050.50
      06-09-2024, 12:34 PM   #8322
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Hardy 'trash' when constant feed of articles and vids keep coming in from reporters and journos on this very worrying trend, that's why they're posted and this is the thread to do it on
Pretty much everything you re-post is the literal definition of a trash feed.
      06-09-2024, 01:16 PM   #8323
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
A fleet found EVs were 20 times less likely to catch fire than ICE vehicles - Link

Then there from Link

Now I expect as most EVs are fairly new so as cars age and not looked after/get mistreated the balance will look less favourable, but it is a long way to fall.
This is a feelings based fear. You posting robust sensible data won't do a damn thing.
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2024, 02:46 PM   #8324
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

ICEV just do not spontaneously catch fire sitting parked. There is no ignition source to cause a fire even if it is leaking gasoline. Sure, there may be a rare occurrence of an electrical short that could cause a fire that may eventually ignite the fuel, but the electrical circuits are protected by fuses and circuit breakers to make it a rare occurance. And gasoline does not spontaneously combust. EV batteries can spontaneously combust and feed their own fire as a runaway chemical reaction. Even the mighty Pinto never spontaneously burned down a house. And out of some 3M units sold, just 28 people died in rear end collisions in Pintos from fire.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 3
M5Rick67104.50
eugenebmw2050.50
      06-09-2024, 03:15 PM   #8325
crAbb
Banned
Rep

Drives: M340i

Attached Images

Appreciate 3
M5Rick67104.50
eugenebmw2050.50
      06-09-2024, 03:17 PM   #8326
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by crAbb View Post
More GrandpaBook.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2024, 03:21 PM   #8327
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've driven well over 1 million miles in my lifetime, mostly in the Mid-Atlantic region of the US. I've seen just one vehicle fire, which ironically was a BMW E90, in early 2007 on Route 29 just south of Ruckersville, Virginia (thinking back now, maybe it was the CCV heater valve pre-recall - LOL).

I witnessed an accident with a Toyota Corolla, in the mid-1980's in Washington DC, when I was a courier. Fuel was leaking from the fuel tank, and I assisted the young woman to get out of the car for safety purposes. The car never did catch on fire, and it was in the middle of a DC summer. The leaking fuel was leaving a crater in the asphalt.

Another accident I witnessed in the Winter of 1990 was on I95 between Baltimore and Washington, just south of Route 32, late at night. A drunk driver slammed into a parked car on the shoulder. I turned around and waited for the Maryland State Police and EMT to arrive and provided a witness statement. Neither of the mangled cars caught on fire. The car hit by the drunk driver had the rear valence panel in the back seat. A third accident I witnessed, again on I95, at Powder Mill Road, was a GM station wagon that somehow flipped onto its roof. I had just missed the collision. I was first on the scene and crawled through the broken rear window up to the front seat, assessed the woman was not injured (i.e. a back injury), and helped her get out of the car. It too was leaking fuel, but never caught on fire.

My niece was rear ended in her Ford Fiesta by a stoned/over-medicated woman. My niece was nearly killed. Her car was at the back of the line of 7 cars at a traffic light. The collision was so severe that all 7 cars hit each other. My niece was knocked out with a severe concussion. The roof buckled inward and made a laceration on the top of her head; we think glass from the shattered rear window got caught between her scalp and the buckled roof as it caved inwards. The rear of the Fiesta was literally pushed to the back of the front seats and the front of the Fiesta was at the firewall. Her Fiesta did not catch on fire.

I'll take the fire risk in an accident in a ICEV any day over an EV. Also, I will never own a vehicle that does not have a primary mechanical linkage to open the doors.

None of these stories are trash-feed media stories. All but my niece's accident I witnessed each accident.
Appreciate 3
M5Rick67104.50
eugenebmw2050.50
      06-09-2024, 03:33 PM   #8328
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizz81 View Post

How do you track all that? Just put the numbers in to your spreadsheet or you have an app for that haha j/k
Old school brother. Pen and a small paper notebook that fits in the door pocket.
Appreciate 4
M5Rick67104.50
dizz81486.50
eugenebmw2050.50
      06-09-2024, 05:49 PM   #8329
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Then ignore them like I'll ignore your posts oh not the vids as you don't post any.
Appreciate 3
Ugly Kar511.00
eugenebmw2050.50
      06-09-2024, 07:25 PM   #8330
Car-Addicted
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.91]
Quote:
Tech tip: Don't read them.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick67104.50
eugenebmw2050.50
      06-09-2024, 07:37 PM   #8331
Car-Addicted
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.91]
By popular demand for more EV fires

BYD rolling crematorium catches fire Coming to a neighborhood near you soon.
BYD EV Destroyed in Collision, No Airbags Popped. This Subpar Manufacturer Got a $1 Billion Subsidy

Appreciate 2
M5Rick67104.50
eugenebmw2050.50
      06-10-2024, 03:24 AM   #8332
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
By popular demand for more EV fires

BYD rolling crematorium catches fire Coming to a neighborhood near you soon.
BYD EV Destroyed in Collision, No Airbags Popped. This Subpar Manufacturer Got a $1 Billion Subsidy

BYD: Our own Bozo and whoever comes after is letting them into the country.
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw2050.50
      06-10-2024, 05:01 AM   #8333
Car-Addicted
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.91]
Green Grift on trial

Nikola Founder And Convicted Felon Trevor Milton Files Lawsuit Against Present Chief Legal Officer, Directors Alleging Malpractice
June 8, 2024
What Happened: Milton announced the lawsuit via the social media platform LinkedIn. “Just filed a multi billion dollar derivative malpractice lawsuit against Nikola motor company’s directors and chief legal officer Britton Worthen. GET READY!” Milton wrote.

In September 2020, short-seller Hindenburg published a report labeling the electric car maker as an "intricate fraud." Hindenburg specifically pointed out a video released by Nikola titled "Nikola One in Motion," alleging that the truck was towed to the top of a hill and released instead of being driven at high speed.

Nikola Vs. Milton: In April, Milton alleged that the board at Nikola is “too compromised with rampant misconduct and potential fraud.”

https://www.benzinga.com/news/24/06/...egal-officer-d

Firefighters hose down trucks that caught fire at Nikola headquarters in Phoenix, Ariz.

Appreciate 2
M5Rick67104.50
eugenebmw2050.50
      06-10-2024, 11:27 AM   #8334
eugenebmw
Captain
Rep

Drives: G15 M850i G82 M4, G22 M440

Quote:
Originally Posted by crAbb View Post
Appreciate 1
M5Rick67104.50
      06-10-2024, 11:55 AM   #8335
JimmyTheHand
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
This is a feelings based fear. You posting robust sensible data won't do a damn thing.
Not to them - but hopefully dampen the echo chamber for others coming in
Appreciate 1
gblansten2414.50
      06-10-2024, 12:12 PM   #8336
JimmyTheHand
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
ICEV just do not spontaneously catch fire sitting parked. There is no ignition source to cause a fire even if it is leaking gasoline. Sure, there may be a rare occurrence of an electrical short that could cause a fire that may eventually ignite the fuel, but the electrical circuits are protected by fuses and circuit breakers to make it a rare occurance. And gasoline does not spontaneously combust. EV batteries can spontaneously combust and feed their own fire as a runaway chemical reaction. Even the mighty Pinto never spontaneously burned down a house. And out of some 3M units sold, just 28 people died in rear end collisions in Pintos from fire.
Well let's start with the safety system fuses - aren't magical devices that stop current flowing if it exceeds the rated amount, often they can take considerable more current for quite a period, especially slow blow ones which are most likely in car - I've seen cable insulation melted when protected by a fuse that should have blown.

Then just because circuit is protected by a fuse - it doesn't mean a fault in wiring/system can't get hot enough to start a small smouldering fire which takes time to become apparent.

So yes a ICE can catch fire just sitting there.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2024, 12:16 PM   #8337
JimmyTheHand
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
My family is in the business, try again.
I have family in the Car trade - I'm not sure I'd listen to them much on such subjects based on other things I know about them.

Then I've dealt with various car trade people who I'd avoid letting deal with my car again.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2024, 12:28 PM   #8338
eugenebmw
Captain
Rep

Drives: G15 M850i G82 M4, G22 M440

Quote:
The EV faithful can't do math.
For them, there is no such thing called logical reasoning. For them, open minded is just a joke....
Appreciate 1
M5Rick67104.50