New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-26-2023, 08:59 AM   #7503
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardofors68 View Post
Glad to see that I'm not the only one with appreciation for squid life.
To me, a “squid” is someone who rides a sport bike without the proper gear (…e.g….full leather suit, boots, etc.). You may need to get me/us up to speed on your definition.
Appreciate 2
      03-26-2023, 12:00 PM   #7504
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2023 M4 Comp

"Squid" A derisive term applied to a US Navy sailor by members of the other (and lesser) branches. We of course have our own loving and respectful terms for the other guys. Marines - "Jarhead". Army - "Grunt". Air Force - "Flyboy". Coast Guard - "Puddle Pirate". No one gets any respect - ever.
      03-26-2023, 04:32 PM   #7505
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer 2019 View Post
"Squid" A derisive term applied to a US Navy sailor by members of the other (and lesser) branches. We of course have our own loving and respectful terms for the other guys. Marines - "Jarhead". Army - "Grunt". Air Force - "Flyboy". Coast Guard - "Puddle Pirate". No one gets any respect - ever.
Don't forget Chair Force or 9-5 military.
Appreciate 2
      03-26-2023, 04:47 PM   #7506
Murf the Surf
Captain
Rep

Drives: Porsche 993

I've heard Marines referred to a Crayon eaters.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2023, 06:52 PM   #7507
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
I've heard Marines referred to a Crayon eaters.
In the Navy it's 1500, in the Marines, Mickey's big hand is on the 12 and his little hand is on the 3.

An Army General, an Air Force General and an Admiral were at the "O" Club discussing the bravery of each of their men, trying to one-up each other. Finally, the AF General decided he was going to settle things and invited the other two to the local AF base the next day to demonstrate the bravery of his men. The next day, he grabbed a pilot, told him to climb to 30K', point the nose down and don't pull-up until he told him to. The pilot did as ordered, pointed the nose down and, as the General never told him to pull-up he augured-in. The General said that was guts! The Army General said that was nothing and invited the other two to his base the next day. He grabbed a soldier and told him to stand at attention on the parade ground and to not move until told. He then grabbed a tank commander and told him to run over the soldier. They both did as they were ordered and the soldier was flattened. The General arrogantly said that was GUTS! The Admiral started laughing his head off! He invited the other two to his base the next day to settle things. They all showed up at the local Naval Base the next day and the Admiral searched out the ship with the tallest mast. Once found he grabbed a sailor and told him to climb to the top, which the sailor dutifully did. Once at the top, the Admiral grabbed a megaphone and told the sailor to jump. The sailor yelled back "F YOU!" The Admiral said, now THAT'S GUTS!
Appreciate 5
      03-26-2023, 07:07 PM   #7508
ricardofors68
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: '15 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
To me, a “squid” is someone who rides a sport bike without the proper gear (…e.g…. full leather suit, boots, etc.). You may need to get me/us up to speed on your definition.
I do agree with you. Learned that as I started my sportbike initiation. I have the scars of my squidness too.
But to clarify; we were referred to as squids by other service's members. We also used to call each other squid as a funny put-down.
I was in the aviation community, so we'd call aircrew pickle suits, etc.
We'd call Marines, jarheads, devil-dogs,etc. Grunts were the front-line Marines.
Army guys don't remember since I didn't come across them too often.
Air Force guys; I don't remember losing any zapping challenges against them.
Zapping was something you do if you had another unit's bird in your flightline, carrier, etc. You would mark that airplane with your unit's decal, emblem, or message.

But all in all, I always had great rapport with all my service's brothers and sisters.
Sedan_Clan26687.00
      03-27-2023, 12:29 PM   #7509
jbellk75rt
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2010 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer 2019 View Post
The best Marine is a submarine.. DBF
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 12:36 PM   #7510
jbellk75rt
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2010 328i xdrive

Quote:
I do agree with you. Learned that as I started my sportbike initiation. I have the scars of my squidness too.
But to clarify; we were referred to as squids by other service's members. We also used to call each other squid as a funny put-down.
We'd call Marines, jarheads, devil-dogs,etc. Grunts were the front-line Marines.
Zapping was something you do if you had another unit's bird in your flightline, carrier, etc. You would mark that airplane with your unit's decal, emblem, or message.

But all in all, I always had great rapport with all my service's brothers and sisters.
I was on a surface ship in the yard at Bremerton which also serviced Nuc boats. When we were finally leaving the yard after several weeks we were told by another ship there was a subs hull number painted on our hull. Capt. extremely pissed and deck crew suffered.
Appreciate 2
Buug95921519.50
      03-28-2023, 09:09 AM   #7511
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

When you say “squid” you have to make the swimming sign with your hand
      03-28-2023, 09:59 AM   #7512
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2023 M4 Comp

Quote:

We all did it. I can't speak for today though. It's a strange new military world out there, just like the rest of society. Grumble, Grumble.

I will tell you about the best tag I was ever involved in. In 1969 I was a member of VA-215 the "Barn Owls" flying A7B's off the USS Enterprise CVN-65 in Vietnam. One of the guys in our shop (ordnance) had a brother who was ships company, and a nuclear technician assigned to the reactor spaces. He would come up to our shop and hang out a lot, and became an honorary member of our motley crew. Great guy. I don't remember who it was that came up with the idea, but we decided to "tag" the reactors (there were 4 of them on the Enterprise) with our squadron emblem with "Nuc" being the perpetrator. He had access to all areas of the reactor spaces including inside of the reactors themselves. Yes, people regularly entered the reactors to inspect, maintain, and take readings. There was a large window in the entry door through which you could see most areas inside, the exception of course being the "Hot Box" containing the rods themselves.

Prior to implementation we ran this by our Weapons Officer who loved it, and then ran it by our Squadron Commander ("Frenchy" LeBlanc) who loved it even more. Nuc took 4 emblems and pasted one inside of each of the 4 reactors - with pictures of course. God I wish I still had that picture! Frenchy told us that he had a most enjoyable conversation with the Ships Captain. A gotcha moment much relished.
      03-28-2023, 02:39 PM   #7513
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Body cam footage from Nashville. Extremely well done by the responding officers.

Apparently at least one of them also plays rugby regularly to stay in shape, and it shows from that leg strength hauling ass up the stairs.

IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2023, 03:15 PM   #7514
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Body cam footage from Nashville. Extremely well done by the responding officers.

Apparently at least one of them also plays rugby regularly to stay in shape, and it shows from that leg strength hauling ass up the stairs.

And for a group that was comprised of guys that don't normally work as a team clearing buildings, they did well.

As morbid as it sounds, I found satisfaction in watching the shooters body collapse.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 2
      03-28-2023, 03:27 PM   #7515
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

I, wife and niece watching the news last night. All the typical talking heads says we gotta do this and that to restrict GUNS. Those two started in to. I had to get up and leave the dinner table, spouting off as I left that guns don't kill people, people kill people. For dramatic effect, I wanted to go in and get all my guns, varying in the 40+ years of ownership, and show them that none of my guns have run off to a school and shot anyone.

This poor misguide "female" is being touted as such a rare bird. No, she has mental issues that need to be addressed. Spend all that $$$ from enforcement and tracking to help these mentally ill people before they go off on society that they can't seem to fit into.

<stepping away from computer before ban-hammer>
S1nner149.00
vreihen1619187.00
      03-28-2023, 04:42 PM   #7516
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Most "mass shootings" are targeted violence among poorer / impoverished minorities with somewhat more limited opportunities in life. Ie stuff like a drive by that hits 5 people, someone returns fire and hits 2 in the car, etc.

Most RANDOM mass shootings (mall shootings, school shootings, etc like is typically portrayed as the standard) are extensions of suicide by cop. Entirely different situations aside from the involvement of firearms.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan26687.00
      03-29-2023, 06:14 AM   #7517
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
And for a group that was comprised of guys that don't normally work as a team clearing buildings, they did well.

As morbid as it sounds, I found satisfaction in watching the shooters body collapse.
She dropped like the sack of sh!t she was. One shot might have hit the CNS (brain, spine) which turned her off like a light.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 08:52 AM   #7518
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

And last night, the rep from the district was on the news saying the same: "We need to address the people, not the guns"

Did I hear NBC actually correct themselves and say she didn't have AK-47, but instead a Kalashnikov? What, you mean it wouldn't have been banned because not an assault rifle?

Further info, "the system" broke down and she was on all kinds of meds, but her Dr. didn't do his/her due diligence and report the meds so that when she went and bought 2 rifles and a handgun, she flew right thru.
      03-29-2023, 08:54 AM   #7519
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

So, Sedan_Clan how much hazing will the unfortunate CHP that had his cruiser stolen and then the perp jumped out at 50MPH be getting for the next several years? I imagine their is a large bar tab in his future.
      03-29-2023, 09:56 AM   #7520
Watching The World Burn
Lengthy but not a Girthy Member
Rep

Drives: 1971 Honda Civic

The drop was satisfactory. Part of me wishes that she was alive and we still tortured people so that she could experience a taste of the pain she has visited on the families of the people she killed.

Then again, I know that's not for me to judge and I'm confident she's been judged by God and Hell is not a place I could ever imagine adequately, but I believe she is there, so her punishment will be adequate, it is not necessary for me to see it in order for it to be adequate.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 10:38 AM   #7521
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
i dont have any issues with those that own guns.
My only issue are those have guns that target innocent children/adults at school, mall or any place of gathering.

only solution is eliminate the threat
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2023, 11:13 AM   #7522
Watching The World Burn
Lengthy but not a Girthy Member
Rep

Drives: 1971 Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
i dont have any issues with those that own guns.
My only issue are those have guns that target innocent children/adults at school, mall or any place of gathering.

only solution is eliminate the threat
Unsure - are you proposing to eliminate firearms or the shooter? Can't tell which you judge to be the threat.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2023, 12:11 PM   #7523
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

This is the way I see it:

There are over 600 million guns in the US, with approximately 100 million to 130 million gun owners per Pew research and other reputable organizations.

Roughly 35,000 people per year die in "gun violence", of which suicides account for roughly 2/3. Leaving around 12,000 or so for a combination of homicide, negligence, police-involved, and self defense (which, technically, is also charged as homicide, just justified vs unjustified).

Even if you don't break down that 12,000-ish and leave it all lumped together....

12,000 / 100,000,000 (at the lowest / most pessimistic ratio) = 0.00012.

This alone tells me guns aren't anywhere near the problem they're made out to be.

Expanding on that further, roughly 500-600 of those are from rifles (all kinds, and including "mass shootings", so bolt action, AR types, etc). Blunt objects (hammers, fists, bats, etc) account for more each year per FBI / DOJ statistics.

Meanwhile, out of the suicides (again, not my choice to lump them in with "gun violence", it's the anti-gun side that keeps doing that), roughly 3,000 each year are from veterans alone.

So you could do more to reduce "gun violence" by addressing veteran issues than any assault weapon ban, even if your assault weapon ban had 100% compliance and worked perfectly (loooool. Yeah right).
Appreciate 6
      03-29-2023, 01:11 PM   #7524
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
This is the way I see it:

There are over 600 million guns in the US, with approximately 100 million to 130 million gun owners per Pew research and other reputable organizations.

Roughly 35,000 people per year die in "gun violence", of which suicides account for roughly 2/3. Leaving around 12,000 or so for a combination of homicide, negligence, police-involved, and self defense (which, technically, is also charged as homicide, just justified vs unjustified).

Even if you don't break down that 12,000-ish and leave it all lumped together....

12,000 / 100,000,000 (at the lowest / most pessimistic ratio) = 0.00012.

This alone tells me guns aren't anywhere near the problem they're made out to be.

Expanding on that further, roughly 500-600 of those are from rifles (all kinds, and including "mass shootings", so bolt action, AR types, etc). Blunt objects (hammers, fists, bats, etc) account for more each year per FBI / DOJ statistics.

Meanwhile, out of the suicides (again, not my choice to lump them in with "gun violence", it's the anti-gun side that keeps doing that), roughly 3,000 each year are from veterans alone.

So you could do more to reduce "gun violence" by addressing veteran issues than any assault weapon ban, even if your assault weapon ban had 100% compliance and worked perfectly (loooool. Yeah right).
Unhealthy mental state is the threat. Veterans are pumped full of meds and sent on their way without much effort to try and understand and treat the real issues they are having, which is often guilt from losing friends overseas or the feeling of being useless and unwanted after they leave service or return from deployments. Same can be said for mental health in the civilian population, just pump em full of meds, charge the ever-living piss out of them sending them into debt and send em on their way. In the case of the school shooter, they were already on multiple medications that should have flagged them to not be able to purchase/own firearms, but the doctor apparently never reported anything (not sure how that works, this is just what I've read).

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan26687.00